Sign in to follow this  
Guest yamaha_man

GIG GUIDE - Who's touring .............

I just bought tickets to see Robert Plant and his new band in Launceston, April 5th. Tickets went on sale today - should be a good one. We don't get many artists down here and so seeing a major name gig usually involves huge expense. Looks like he's only playing in Sydney, Melbourne and Launceston, for some reason.

Interesting...I wonder if he'll be playing Womad?

Had a bit of concert fever lately.

Last Thursday saw Blondie, Stranglers and Machinations.

Friday served up Simple Minds, Devo and The Church. Sunday, was the Wiggles farewell and man the mosh pit was goin' orf!

All ironic really. The Wiggles (point of clarification here, I have a 3.5 year old) was the only original headlining act and they were retiring to greener pastors except one wiggle. Blondie had one original member other than Debbie who was great for a 67 year old, Simple Minds had two originals being Jim and guitarist dude. Support acts faired better, stranglers only 1 original, Devo all original, Machinations and the church similarly.

Whilst it is great to reminisce and see these old bands, nostalgia is lacking a little when you see the other non originals band members (usually 20 years younger) looking out of place and in some cases trying too hard to replicate their predecessors.

Nonetheless Devo, Machinations, church and Simple minds were awesome. Devo had by far the best stage show and showmanship with some wicked beats going. Not bad for a bunch of 50 plus year old spud boys from Idaho.

Probably a bit obscure for most, but a hero of mine, Stan Ridgway, will be doing a show at the Corner Hotel, and a possible second show at The Caravan Club, both in late May. Stan is bringing his own band.

ZM.

I saw Stan play back in the 90s. Drywall Project. A friend of mine played guitar in his local touring band, they did a tv appearance where he hit this bum note...ooowwwch

Edited by rehabitat

Just got tickets to The Stone Roses, March 2013. Woohoo.

DS

A mate rang me yesterday and asked if I was into the 'Stone Roses', in which I replied I have heard about them but don't really know their music, in which he replied, "you'll be no fun then" !

I think he was 'hoping' I was a fan so we could go and both get right into the gig!

I've probably missed out on a good gig.....maybe!

The Stone Roses are good, you should give them a go.

Springsteen tickets bought today, partner's Christmas present.

DS

I will do just that!

On the contrary, I find Springsteen fairly overrated IMHO.

Heard one song....heard em all!

Just heard on the radio The Jacksons are touring next year! Huh? WHat the?

That's like a pie without sauce.

They will be 20c short of a dollar without MJ

Her you go SP. The Boss overrated never

[media=]

[/media] Edited by MC240

Her you go SP. The Boss overrated never

[media=]

[/media]

No, sorry MC but it's all 'too American hero' stuff for my liking!

I saw tame impala on Thursday night. Well worth a look if they are out your way;)

Their Australian tour has completely sold out. But yes, they are a great live band.

I saw tame impala on Thursday night. Well worth a look if they are out your way;)

I was at that gig too! Was pretty good, although I was expecting them to experiment with the songs more - most seemed to be played note-for-note from the albums.