GIG GUIDE - Who's touring .............

Guest yamaha_man

...so do it. They're touring on the back of a new album early next year - Melbourne's on March 15.

I'll see how things pan out, so much good stuff on at the moment. I live in the country, so going to Melbourne for gigs is a time consuming and expensive mission. Already have Meredith, Jeff the Brotherhood, Stooges and most likely Blues Explosion lined up

I wonder what is happening in March.

I know... I generally avoid festivals completely but decided to attend "I'll be your Mirror" and Soundwave next year because there's no other way I'd get to Einstürzende Neubauten, My Bloody Valentine, Swans, Beasts of Bourbon, A Perfect Circle, Red Fang and Kyuss. The month's just too full of all the other gigs!

Edited by MellowFellow

I know... I generally avoid festivals completely but decided to attend "I'll be your Mirror" and Soundwave next year because there's no other way I'd get to Einstürzende Neubauten, My Bloody Valentine, Swans, Beasts of Bourbon, A Perfect Circle, Red Fang and Kyuss. The month's just too full of all the other gigs!

I was very tempted for Golden Plains, but $300 a ticket, comming up to christmas just isn't happening this year

Extreme are touring in April with the outrageously good Richie Kotzen as support.

It's a big start to the year next year; Soundwave, Deep Purple, Journey, Thin Lizzy, Black Sabbath, and now Kotzen and Extreme. Now I just need Van Halen to fulfill their obligation to play here and 2013 will be a big success. :)

The line up for the Freo Blues and Roots Festival in March just got better:

Saturday 23rd March

Robert Plant presents Sensational Space Shifters

Iggy & The Stooges

Chris Isaak • Status Quo

Tedeschi Trucks Band

Fred Wesley and the New JB’s

Newton Faulkner

Julia Stone

Kitty, Daisy & Lewis

Grace Potter

Mama Kin

Blue Shaddy

Sunday 24th March

Paul Simon

Ben Harper

Santana

Steve Miller Band

Wilco

Bonnie Raitt

Jimmy Cliff

Rufus Wainwright

Michael Kiwanuka

Gossling Ash Grunwald

Benjamin Francis Leftwich

The DomNicks

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

On Monday off to see The Saints, The Stranglers and Blondie.

DS

The Saints were playing yesterday and they Rocked !!

Also;

Shapeshifter, good

Julia Stone, very good

Hilltop Hoods, ok

Tim Minchin, great performer

and Blondie, loved it, friends went to see her last Thursday night at the Enmore and they said she ROCKED.

The night before we were a bit late for the Church and Devo but caught all of Simple Minds, we were having so much fun people around us were a little cross

The saints, Stranglers and Blondie was a good show. Starting with the Saints, well Chris Bailey and some other people, they played well and Bailey seems to have kept his voice. The Stranglers sounded very much like the studio recordings of their songs, they played very tight and very well, showing they have lost little over the years. I felt Debbie Harry struggled a bit with her voice. I find this unsurprising given her singing style would wear out a voice in a hurry. That said she and the band put on a great show and although she couldn't belt out the tunes for the whole night non-stop she did manage to belt out a lot and found ways to give her voice short rests so she could preserve it and belt out another song a couple of minutes later. Glad to have gone and seen all 3 bands.

DS

I just bought tickets to see Robert Plant and his new band in Launceston, April 5th. Tickets went on sale today - should be a good one. We don't get many artists down here and so seeing a major name gig usually involves huge expense. Looks like he's only playing in Sydney, Melbourne and Launceston, for some reason.

I just bought tickets to see Robert Plant and his new band in Launceston, April 5th. Tickets went on sale today - should be a good one. We don't get many artists down here and so seeing a major name gig usually involves huge expense. Looks like he's only playing in Sydney, Melbourne and Launceston, for some reason.

Interesting...I wonder if he'll be playing Womad?

Had a bit of concert fever lately.

Last Thursday saw Blondie, Stranglers and Machinations.

Friday served up Simple Minds, Devo and The Church. Sunday, was the Wiggles farewell and man the mosh pit was goin' orf!

All ironic really. The Wiggles (point of clarification here, I have a 3.5 year old) was the only original headlining act and they were retiring to greener pastors except one wiggle. Blondie had one original member other than Debbie who was great for a 67 year old, Simple Minds had two originals being Jim and guitarist dude. Support acts faired better, stranglers only 1 original, Devo all original, Machinations and the church similarly.

Whilst it is great to reminisce and see these old bands, nostalgia is lacking a little when you see the other non originals band members (usually 20 years younger) looking out of place and in some cases trying too hard to replicate their predecessors.

Nonetheless Devo, Machinations, church and Simple minds were awesome. Devo had by far the best stage show and showmanship with some wicked beats going. Not bad for a bunch of 50 plus year old spud boys from Idaho.

• Like 2