Get The Best Reception, Illawarra

Now this is something strange.

We have a couple of NEC flat screen HDTVs. A NLT-32HDB2 and a NLT-46HDB2. All of a sudden, both of them have an issue with the Prime / 7 signal. As soon as the TVs go to Prime, 7Two, 7Mate, etc, the channel change controls pretty much lock. We can't change channel, either via the remote or via the controls on the TV.

After numerous attempts of switching off, powering off & unplugging, I managed to get it to rescan for channels. At the end of the scan it defaults to SBS and full control is restored. Everything is fine until I go to one of the 7 channels then the problem returns.

It is the same for both TVs: all is normal unless you go to 7.

Any idea what might cause this?

Any idea what might cause this?

Your TVs are unable to cope with the recent changes made by Prime to incorporate the new racing channel.

How can I tell if my TV is MPEG4 compatible?

All major recognised brands of televisions, set top boxes and Personal Video Recorders (PVR’s) purchased since 2009, including any devices bearing the Freeview logo, will have this capability, but those bought prior to 2009 may not support MPEG4. Some old receivers which have not been compatible during the introduction of the MPEG4 service have included:-

Schaub Lorenz Televisions

Baumann Meyer Televisions

NEC and Sherwood (rebadged NEC) Televisions

Next Wave PVR’s

If you are unsure if your current TV supports MPEG4 you will need to refer to your TV manual or contact the manufacturer of your TV.

The only solution I am aware of is purchasing an outboard digital set top box to restore channel 7 functionality to the TV.

I use these, just be aware they do not come with anything other than a captive power cord, so you will need to factor in an appropriate connection cable for the TV with the set top box purchase.

NEC TV retail left Australia quite a while ago.

Go to one of the major chain stores and you can buy an Audiosonic Set top box/personal Video recorder for $29. The will receive all channels including MPEG-4. If the TVs have an HDMI connector which is basically rectangular, then buy a short HDMI cable at the same time. This will enable you to watch HD programs such as 7 Mate in HD quality. Otherwise connect with one of those yellow, red and white cables. You can also plug in a USB memory stick and record and play programs as well. Plug the antenna into the STB and not the TV.

Alanh

• 1 month later...

I visited my sister in the Dapto area and when I flicked over to 4ME a notice came up that the signal was incompatible.

Has anyone experienced this?

I'm not sure if it has worked fine before but I get it in Sydney on a newer TV.

TV is a Sharp Aquos; quite a few years old now.

s

Edited by StephenSLR