Sign in to follow this  
alanh

Get The Best Reception - Gold Coast

Dunfreezin,

There are presently no digital transmitters on Laheys Lookout

AlanH

Hi AlanH,

Many thanks for your response to my query. Any sugestions as to where the quite good digital signals are coming from?

Cheers!

Dunfreezin,

There are 2 possibilities

Mt Tambourine which is 8 km away at a bearing of 50 degrees. The antenna must be horizontal

Springbrook which is 28 km away and is at a bearing of 151 degrees. The antenna must be vertical, ie on its side.

AlanH

Dunfreezin,

There are 2 possibilities

Mt Tambourine which is 8 km away at a bearing of 50 degrees. The antenna must be horizontal

Springbrook which is 28 km away and is at a bearing of 151 degrees. The antenna must be vertical, ie on its side.

AlanH

Many thanks AlanH,

Springbrook is behind Darlington Range to us, and using horizontal polarisation, so will rule that one out. Must be Tamborine Mountain I am presently looking at. Many thanks.

Cheers!

The TV has a Signal Strength Meter built in (LG 81cm LCD), and shows QABC, SBS and 7 reasonable, but 9 (ch 66) and 10 (ch 69) are dreadful, usually a blue screen.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers!

:blink:

Are you sure those channel numbers/networks are accurate?

None of the Gold Coast transmitters (analogue or digital) use channels 66 or 69.

66 is used by Prime analogue from Springbrook aimed at Murwillumbah and 69 is used by NBN analogue for the same area (which would be why the signal is poor).

Evan :->

Hi all,

Anyone know where I can get a reception map for the transmission tower in Lahey's Lookout on Tamborine Mountain, servicing the area of Canungra? I have good line of site (under 4 Km) to the transmission tower, and a powerful antenna, new cable and amp, but still do not get full digital coverage. The TV has a Signal Strength Meter built in (LG 81cm LCD), and shows QABC, SBS and 7 reasonable, but 9 (ch 66) and 10 (ch 69) are dreadful, usually a blue screen.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers!

:blink:

Hi Dunfreezin

It appears that you may be receiving some signals from Tamborine, albeit they will be very poor.

Springbrook is also horizontal polarisation for digital, but you will be unlikely to receive anything from there at all as the transmitter power is tiny compared to Tamborine.

It's a possibility that you re receiving some reflected signal as well, so turning your antenna full circle may acheive a result.

Failing this, I reckon that you should be able receive digital from Mt Coot-tha if you put up a good Band 3 Yagi antenna on a decent pole and use good cable straight to your set-top-box, depending on your position in Canungra township. You may need an installer to come and measure the signal for you.

There is another solution ........... Maybe you could go and lobby the council for a Digital Translator?

Regards

DigitalTech

Are you sure those channel numbers/networks are accurate?

None of the Gold Coast transmitters (analogue or digital) use channels 66 or 69.

66 is used by Prime analogue from Springbrook aimed at Murwillumbah and 69 is used by NBN analogue for the same area (which would be why the signal is poor).

Evan :->

Hello GoldCoastGuy and DigitalTech ,

Yes, have checked the channel allocations, and am receiving:

SBS on 57,

ABC on 60,

Seven on 63,

Nine on 66,

and Ten on 69.

with a large (brand new) horizontally polarised antenna pointed directly at Lahey's Lookout, which is line-of-site, and slightly raised in elevation, about 10 degrees or so. Good analog reception on all 5 channels.

On this alignment, I am receiving:

reasonable digital ABC, including their 2 radio channels,

good digital SBS,

reasonable digital SC10 and 10

good digital 7,

no 9 at all to speak of. Most of the time it is a blue screen.

Beats me!

Now have the antenna moved about 10 degrees east from Laheys lookout, still have 7, SC10 and SBS with 2 radio channels, have lost ABC, but have gained 9. Reasonable analog reception on all 5 channels.

To say that I am confused would be an understatement. Supercomputers are much easier to understand and fix!

Cheers.

hey mate i'm in your area and we do this type of thing.my thaughts:

that laheys lookout transmitter does not transmit digital. the golf course one does however.

the trick is the golf course one is up on the the other side of the top of the mountain in a line that is roughly behind the laheys lookout one. those channels you are quoteing are analogue of the canungra tower.

in summary i think u are picking up digital signals off the tamborine transmitter but the canungra area is bad for that u need to pick up digital from brisbane. pretty much all of our digital installs in canungra are coming from brisbane transmitters. without pluggin in a fsm and checking though you are in the dark.

depending in where exactly you are you may be able te get a way by using a phased aray uhf .

and i do mean exactly, as canungra, tamborine mtn, and surrounds can very greatly from house to house due o terrain

and a large percent of houses out this way need amplifiers as the signal can arrive below the desired levels i.e. low 40's.

steve

hey mate i'm in your area and we do this type of thing.my thaughts:

that laheys lookout transmitter does not transmit digital. the golf course one does however.

the trick is the golf course one is up on the the other side of the top of the mountain in a line that is roughly behind the laheys lookout one. those channels you are quoteing are analogue of the canungra tower.

in summary i think u are picking up digital signals off the tamborine transmitter but the canungra area is bad for that u need to pick up digital from brisbane. pretty much all of our digital installs in canungra are coming from brisbane transmitters. without pluggin in a fsm and checking though you are in the dark.

depending in where exactly you are you may be able te get a way by using a phased aray uhf .

and i do mean exactly, as canungra, tamborine mtn, and surrounds can very greatly from house to house due o terrain

and a large percent of houses out this way need amplifiers as the signal can arrive below the desired levels i.e. low 40's.

steve

Hi Steve,

Many thanks mate.

I have not had the time to do any more experimenting with antenna pointing, but would agree with what you have said in your post.

We have a large (very large) antenna, with an amplifier and splitter. As you say, the analog signals are coming off Laheys, and the digitals are coming off Golf Course Road site. I will do some more experimenting when I get the time. I have been in contact with the council rep for the area, (Virginia), and she put me on to a government technical adviser. He said that it may be years before we get digital transmissions from Laheys Lookout site. Oh well...........

We are on Lamington National Park Road, about 1 Km from town, so down a bit in the valley to get a good look at Brisbane, and probably even more difficult to get much better than we have off Golf Course Road site.

Will post how the experimenting goes.

Once again, thanks mate.

Cheers.

Wow... all these technobable is way over my head. I think calling the TV antenna technicians would better solve my problem of receiving only 2 channels (SBS & Southern Cross 10) with a 16yr old antenna that has been fitted with a booster adaptor inside the house.

The goal is trying to get proper reception on the HTPC with a Compro U3 USB digital tuner.

heatwave,

In my post there is a link to the ABC reception line. The map will show the coverage area. The antenna you have is no doubt pointed at Brisbane's Mt Cooth ha or Mt Nadi. In the last 16 years repeaters on other channels have been installed at Currumbin, Mt Tambourine and further south. This was done due to poor reception in the Gold Coast. You will get a selection of NSW and Qld programs.

AlanH

There may be another suggestion that could be added (perhaps there's a general troubleshooting thread in this forum but I couldn't find it).

After 2 days of banging my head against the wall with a choppy picture, artifacts, bad sound, freezes et al, I removed the wireless-g pci card from my box and it totally fixed the problem.

Sub atomic,

If you go the the first post in this strand there is a link to antenna basics. It will help you

AlanH

Sub atomic,

If you go the the first post in this strand there is a link to antenna basics. It will help you

AlanH

Hi Alan

I just read through "antenna basics", however, I did not find any mention of wireless pci cards causing interference. I do not require any help, because, as I mentioned earlier, I fixed my problem by removing the wireless-g pci card from my case. If you re-read my original post, it will help you ;)

Subatomic,

PCI cards are usually shielded by the antenna case.

What antenna are you using?

AlanH