Get The Best Reception - Gold Coast

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

A correction on the coverage suggested here for Mt Tamborine.

The NSW services NRN 43, Prime 65 and NBN 68 transmit to the east and their beam width allows coverage south to reach the QLD/NSW border.

ABQ 62, SBS 36, BTQ 53, TVQ 56 and QTQ 59 by necessity cover the same area as the NSW services from Tamborine to ensure the Gold Coast is adequately covered but in addition send signal northward in an effort to better cover those areas poorly served by the Brisbane services.

• 5 months later...

Just to add clarity to the previous post.....The Mt Tambourine directional antannae covers all of the Gold Coast to a line approximately to Cabbage Tree Point for all channels. In addition to this the Brisbane channels radiation footprint is almost omnidirectional, therefore covering points within line of site of the transmitter.

All,

If you have read this post, I suggest you use the link to Far North NSW.and then look at Murwillumbah. The Murwillumbah and Southern Hinterland transmitters are all at Springbrook.

Now there is less need for Mt Tambourine to transmit southward.

AlanH

How can so much confusion develop from an attempt to add clarity as offered by those adding recently.

Peace at Last had it right and it was clear, unambiguous and was offered in laymans terms.

"The NSW services NRN 43, Prime 65 and NBN 68 transmit to the east and their beam width allows coverage south to reach the QLD/NSW border."

This is spot on since this directional antenna has two main lobes one on the 90' bearing and the other on 135'.

"ABQ 62, SBS 36, BTQ 53, TVQ 56 and QTQ 59 by necessity cover the same area as the NSW services from Tamborine to ensure the Gold Coast is adequately covered but in addition send signal northward in an effort to better cover those areas poorly served by the Brisbane services."

Again spot on, with the additional lobes at 0' and 45' to those described for the NSW services above.

Other points to note.

(1) If the antenna system for the Qld services was "almost omnidirectional" as suggested, the designers have failed and this is not the case. It is designed to primarily serve those on a bearing between 340' and 190' and it does very well.

(2) It does not just cover line of sight of the transmitter, this would be a disaster.

(3) Another has stated "Now there is less need for Mt Tamborine to transmit southward." This statement could not be more flawed. These services are not transmitting over a flat plane where all transmitter locations can serve all areas in their beam width. The topography here is very challenging for designers and coverage prediction is complex. Springbrooks 40' bearing is to fill in the valleys to the NE and is an attempt to better serve those that Currumbin and Tamborine cannot reach.

• 2 weeks later...
Springbrooks 40' bearing is to fill in the valleys to the NE and is an attempt to better serve those that Currumbin and Tamborine cannot reach.

Captain,

Where do you get your info on TX bearings and coverage areas? Just that I would be fascinated to have a look at this information.

"You have the con."

• 3 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone use an indoor or "rabbits Ears" antenna for this card???

I have a few problems getting me connected to the outdoor aerial setup.

I live in an apartment...long story.....

Any suggestions on what to buy???.....or do I need to hook up to a outdoor antenna???

Any help Appreciatted....

Live in Southport...Gold Coast.....

mark,

It depends on where you are wrt the terrain between you and Mt Tamborine. See "Get the Best Reception" at the start of this strand. Towards the end is a reference to Indoor antennas. It may be worth giving it a try? You will find that band 5 antennas are no where near as large as typical metropolitan antennas. There is also a reference to apartments and DTV.

AlanH

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

Anyone know where I can get a reception map for the transmission tower in Lahey's Lookout on Tamborine Mountain, servicing the area of Canungra? I have good line of site (under 4 Km) to the transmission tower, and a powerful antenna, new cable and amp, but still do not get full digital coverage. The TV has a Signal Strength Meter built in (LG 81cm LCD), and shows QABC, SBS and 7 reasonable, but 9 (ch 66) and 10 (ch 69) are dreadful, usually a blue screen.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers!

:blink:

Dunfreezin,

There are 2 possibilities

Mt Tambourine which is 8 km away at a bearing of 50 degrees. The antenna must be horizontal

Springbrook which is 28 km away and is at a bearing of 151 degrees. The antenna must be vertical, ie on its side.

AlanH

Dunfreezin,

There are 2 possibilities

Mt Tambourine which is 8 km away at a bearing of 50 degrees. The antenna must be horizontal

Springbrook which is 28 km away and is at a bearing of 151 degrees. The antenna must be vertical, ie on its side.

AlanH

Many thanks AlanH,

Springbrook is behind Darlington Range to us, and using horizontal polarisation, so will rule that one out. Must be Tamborine Mountain I am presently looking at. Many thanks.

Cheers!

The TV has a Signal Strength Meter built in (LG 81cm LCD), and shows QABC, SBS and 7 reasonable, but 9 (ch 66) and 10 (ch 69) are dreadful, usually a blue screen.

Are you sure those channel numbers/networks are accurate?

None of the Gold Coast transmitters (analogue or digital) use channels 66 or 69.

66 is used by Prime analogue from Springbrook aimed at Murwillumbah and 69 is used by NBN analogue for the same area (which would be why the signal is poor).

Evan :->

Hi all,

Anyone know where I can get a reception map for the transmission tower in Lahey's Lookout on Tamborine Mountain, servicing the area of Canungra? I have good line of site (under 4 Km) to the transmission tower, and a powerful antenna, new cable and amp, but still do not get full digital coverage. The TV has a Signal Strength Meter built in (LG 81cm LCD), and shows QABC, SBS and 7 reasonable, but 9 (ch 66) and 10 (ch 69) are dreadful, usually a blue screen.

Hi Dunfreezin

It appears that you may be receiving some signals from Tamborine, albeit they will be very poor.

Springbrook is also horizontal polarisation for digital, but you will be unlikely to receive anything from there at all as the transmitter power is tiny compared to Tamborine.

It's a possibility that you re receiving some reflected signal as well, so turning your antenna full circle may acheive a result.

Failing this, I reckon that you should be able receive digital from Mt Coot-tha if you put up a good Band 3 Yagi antenna on a decent pole and use good cable straight to your set-top-box, depending on your position in Canungra township. You may need an installer to come and measure the signal for you.

There is another solution ........... Maybe you could go and lobby the council for a Digital Translator?

Regards

DigitalTech

Are you sure those channel numbers/networks are accurate?

None of the Gold Coast transmitters (analogue or digital) use channels 66 or 69.

66 is used by Prime analogue from Springbrook aimed at Murwillumbah and 69 is used by NBN analogue for the same area (which would be why the signal is poor).

Evan :->

Hello GoldCoastGuy and DigitalTech ,

Yes, have checked the channel allocations, and am receiving:

SBS on 57,

ABC on 60,

Seven on 63,

Nine on 66,

and Ten on 69.

with a large (brand new) horizontally polarised antenna pointed directly at Lahey's Lookout, which is line-of-site, and slightly raised in elevation, about 10 degrees or so. Good analog reception on all 5 channels.

On this alignment, I am receiving:

reasonable digital ABC, including their 2 radio channels,

good digital SBS,

reasonable digital SC10 and 10

good digital 7,

no 9 at all to speak of. Most of the time it is a blue screen.

Beats me!

Now have the antenna moved about 10 degrees east from Laheys lookout, still have 7, SC10 and SBS with 2 radio channels, have lost ABC, but have gained 9. Reasonable analog reception on all 5 channels.

To say that I am confused would be an understatement. Supercomputers are much easier to understand and fix!

Cheers.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest stevejar

hey mate i'm in your area and we do this type of thing.my thaughts:

that laheys lookout transmitter does not transmit digital. the golf course one does however.

the trick is the golf course one is up on the the other side of the top of the mountain in a line that is roughly behind the laheys lookout one. those channels you are quoteing are analogue of the canungra tower.

in summary i think u are picking up digital signals off the tamborine transmitter but the canungra area is bad for that u need to pick up digital from brisbane. pretty much all of our digital installs in canungra are coming from brisbane transmitters. without pluggin in a fsm and checking though you are in the dark.

depending in where exactly you are you may be able te get a way by using a phased aray uhf .

and i do mean exactly, as canungra, tamborine mtn, and surrounds can very greatly from house to house due o terrain

and a large percent of houses out this way need amplifiers as the signal can arrive below the desired levels i.e. low 40's.

steve

hey mate i'm in your area and we do this type of thing.my thaughts:

that laheys lookout transmitter does not transmit digital. the golf course one does however.

the trick is the golf course one is up on the the other side of the top of the mountain in a line that is roughly behind the laheys lookout one. those channels you are quoteing are analogue of the canungra tower.

in summary i think u are picking up digital signals off the tamborine transmitter but the canungra area is bad for that u need to pick up digital from brisbane. pretty much all of our digital installs in canungra are coming from brisbane transmitters. without pluggin in a fsm and checking though you are in the dark.

depending in where exactly you are you may be able te get a way by using a phased aray uhf .

and i do mean exactly, as canungra, tamborine mtn, and surrounds can very greatly from house to house due o terrain

and a large percent of houses out this way need amplifiers as the signal can arrive below the desired levels i.e. low 40's.

steve

Hi Steve,

Many thanks mate.

I have not had the time to do any more experimenting with antenna pointing, but would agree with what you have said in your post.

We have a large (very large) antenna, with an amplifier and splitter. As you say, the analog signals are coming off Laheys, and the digitals are coming off Golf Course Road site. I will do some more experimenting when I get the time. I have been in contact with the council rep for the area, (Virginia), and she put me on to a government technical adviser. He said that it may be years before we get digital transmissions from Laheys Lookout site. Oh well...........

We are on Lamington National Park Road, about 1 Km from town, so down a bit in the valley to get a good look at Brisbane, and probably even more difficult to get much better than we have off Golf Course Road site.

Will post how the experimenting goes.

Once again, thanks mate.

Cheers.

• 3 months later...

Wow... all these technobable is way over my head. I think calling the TV antenna technicians would better solve my problem of receiving only 2 channels (SBS & Southern Cross 10) with a 16yr old antenna that has been fitted with a booster adaptor inside the house.

The goal is trying to get proper reception on the HTPC with a Compro U3 USB digital tuner.