80GB Topfield

Sway

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the box has so many features you will need to give the manual a quick scan, but it is very simple once you know how everything is organised.

Basically there is a menu with system settings and recording schedule, a separate list of mp3s, recordings, and programs (TAPS) as well as a guide and a customisable favourites list.

V.

Anyone know where I can pick up an 80GB Toppy in Brisbane?  I 've heard that $550 is around the mark.

$550 was a freak price that some lucky dude picked up from a 1/2 price bin in a Brisbane city store. I'm guessing that an uninformed vendor figured it was a "superceded" model given the 120G model is out now so he sold it at a loss(?). I can't see anybody else getting a new price like that.

If you can wait until the toppy 7000 comes out then you may get quite a few of the "must have latest gadget" freaks on this site quickly wanting to dump yesterday's toy. The 7000 is still listed on Topfields site as xmas 2003"! However, it's probably a good 6 months away from now.

Because the box has so many features you will need to give the manual a quick scan, but it is very simple once you know how everything is organised.

Basically there is a menu with system settings and recording schedule, a separate list of mp3s, recordings, and programs (TAPS) as well as a guide and a customisable favourites list.

V.

???

err .... thanks Vermin.

Sway

haha I laughed too, Sway. Vermin must have replied to a different thread! His answer made no sence to your question! lol

Once the 7000 comes out, the 2nd hand market will be awash with 5000 models (ebay etc.) - Can you wait ? Maybe you will want a 7000 when it comes out - especially with that HD NEC plasma you've got! (7000 will be a HD version of 5000 with ethernet)

Steve

Yeah, I know I'll be very tempted when the 7000 comes out. But what will they cost? Also, I don't really think there will be much (anything?) on HD worth recording in a regional area for a long time. I've convinced myself that an SD PVR will do me for now. I think.....

Sway

Sway.(towards the Toppy)..

my advice is to get the current model...and you will be so addicted that you will get the 7 k when it comes out like many of the current Toppy owners plan to do

Toppy owning is a way of life....join the club...Don't deprive yourself of the pleasure of Toppy owning for another minute...

Who said that????who said I am biased...lol

foss

haha I laughed too, Sway.  Vermin must have replied to a different thread!  His answer made no sence to your question! lol

Once the 7000 comes out, the 2nd hand market will be awash with 5000 models (ebay etc.) - Can you wait ?  Maybe you will want a 7000 when it comes out - especially with that HD NEC plasma you've got!  (7000 will be a HD version of 5000 with ethernet)

How the heck did that happen????

I was replying to this:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...ndpost&p=118100

V.

OK, thanks for the comments (except the one about brewing coffee). I guess I will just buy it from HN and try it for more than the casual 3 minutes glance.

As for satellite & terrestrial in one, I really don't think any manufacturer can ever be bothered. Us DTV folks are already a rare bunch, and FTA satellite would be even more so.

Has anyone managed better than $900 in Perth for the 120gb version?

Bought one for my girl friend, had that for about a year and then got Foxtel. She barely watches Foxtel cause she can't use the toppy with it. She's gotten used to watching tv toppy style and hates it when she can't!

I agree with her but Foxtel aint exactly free...wouldn't mind watching it sometimes :blink:

I think when I get my Toppy 7k I will leave it bog standard and use the box to display and do it's tricks with HD signal....it will be hard to keep my hands off....lol

From what I have heard, it will be spectacular....and competition if any at release time can only make it better...

The 7k will be a high quality, powerful machine..

foss

Sway,

Any dates and prices are speculation.

I will give an educated..ie semi informed speculation, and that is, the price will probably be about 2k or under, but that price is by no means a definate, and the price will probably not be known till the release is announced which will most probably be in the 1st quarter/third of 2005, like I have always said...probably March to May

foss

Bought one for my girl friend, had that for about a year and then got Foxtel. She barely watches Foxtel cause she can't use the toppy with it. She's gotten used to watching tv toppy style and hates it when she can't!

I agree with her but Foxtel aint exactly free...wouldn't mind watching it sometimes :blink:

yeah me too, I've just cancelled my foxtel cause now I have access to all my fav prog's when I want and with around 20 active timers atm I've always got something to watch on the toppy!

Now all I need is a bigger HDD for it!

Hey Foss I know I've asked b4 but whats the best HDD for the toppys and aprox how much. I imagine 160-200gb units would have the best price to storage ratio?

WD and Maxtor HDDs with an 8 meg cache appear to be the best..I have 2 x 250 gig WD and 1 x 200 gig WD and they perform well and can be acoustically quietened...Tony has a Maxtor he has quietened and both brand drives work well...

I feel that the 250 gig is the best if you are only getting 1 drive...if you plan on getting multiples the sweet spot between gigs and dollars is the 200 gig drive with each gig costing 90 c or less...the extra 50 gig costs 2.00 per gig but that 50 gig is handy...

best to spend about 360 dollars and get 2 x 200 gig drives IE 400 gig...of course these drives format at a lower available gig...than what you buy...250 gig formats at 232 and the 200 gig at 186 just as the 80 gig only formats at about 76...i forget the 80 gig format amount

Don't bother with 160 gig drives...too small if you are going to upgrade get the most you can afford...

of course if you use my caddy setup, you can make use of the old 80 gig drive and also add flexibility

foss

Hmmm thanks Foss, It looks like the " Maxtor DiamondMax Plus9 200GB, 8M, ATA/133" for $184 is the go as the 250gb units are between $280 & $350.

I have a Maxtor in my HTPC and it's very quiet, even more so when I ran the Maxtor Quiet Drive Utility on it, now it's inaudible.

hi Tony,

Here is a bit more trivia about drives I have either purchased or could have purchased locally.

When I got my 200 gig drive the other day for $185, from PCPLace who built my PC, it would cost roughly another $100 for the extra 50 gig to go to 250 gig...I could have got a 200gig on the web for about $165, but that is a bit dodgy with regard to warrantee...,...

Might have got a 250 gig drive locally for about $265, but this new 200 gig was really a replacement drive for the 80 gig one I stole from my Toppy setup for my PC backup setup ..need to remember that things are a bit dearer up here, but by the time I pay for delivery, or drive to Brisbane the local deal is good for me...especially if something goes wrong...its just back to the store...or the PC maker as far as the warrantee goes........

If we could be sure that the 2 meg cache model had the same Mtbf and it would stand being acoustically quietened and would still work in the Toppy I might chance it...but I don't have a good feeling about the reserves that would be left ..ie margins for error...

I remember being surprised(and green with envy) by how cheap your drive was when you got it...when I got mine which was a few months before you, 250 gig drives were scarce and I paid a lot more than $260 from the corner computer shop ,who whacked a bit on for himself I think...

foss

Calig

You can get various quality and price caddies...I use internal caddies and just sit them next to the Toppy with the wires going to them...The cable and power leads come from the Toppy ...The IDE is just plugged to the mother board of the Toppy and the power cable is extended...

There is a locater pin hole blocked on the IDE cable and that will have to be picked out with a sharp pointed knife..

...all caddies and cables must be 80 wire 40 pin ATA/133 ..the brand I use is Lian Li and cost only 23 dollars...I have 5 caddies in total...one for each Toppy...and two internal in my new PC and 1 spare one because I needed 5 drive drawers for what I do

I would suggest you do searches under my name in both forums and use caddy or caddies as a locater word... or use the word removable...you will get for more from that than what I will type here...

Also, remember that even though you are shortening your warrantee on other hardware, the item that causes most problems in a PVR, now that the box is stabilised is the drive...and you will get a new 3 year warrantee with a new drive even if you do it your self...

If all you want is extra space, and want only one drive (the other drive can be used with the remeovable setup)and will not bother with transfers, then get Michael at Topfield to put the drive in( costs $50 I think) and retain your 6 momths worth of warrantee..if you supply the drive you will still get you 3 year warrantee...

However the removable drive setup is indespensible in my opinion, which as we know is quite biased...lol

foss.

Foss, thanks for that info.... I think your removable drive setup is the way to go for me too. That way you have more flexibility for uploading/downloading recordings.

Thanks again Foss....I will do a search and get more info on this matter.

Happy Toppying,

:blink: