Yet another PVR / Topfield Q.

Shaw

I've been "thinking" of the Topfield 5000PVR-S since I was 1st playing around with FTA satellite (C-band). But now I want a DVB-T PVR. From my reading, the Topfield does not come high specced enough yet. My dreambox would be;

- Twin Tuner with 1 HDTV output and dual SDTV recording

- DVD Recorder onboard

- Hard disk with full buffer.

- Ability to buffer 2 stations.

- Panasonic/Sony type brand and aesthetic (I can't believe the 5000PVR still looks like a $129 satellite receiver! The missus will definately complain about $900 for this!)

- Panasonic / Sony type user friendliness. G-Code, Clearer labelled remote buttons, better defined and more front buttons etc etc

BUT, I know I am just dreaming for now and would have to wait for a long time yet... I have had my DGtec HDTV receiver for 3+ years and is still shocked at the backward digital situation we have.

So, to my question. Is the Topfield user friendly enough? I was very shocked and dispappointed the first time I saw the unit plugged in and play with it for 3 minutes. I am very technically capable and have played around with STB's, home theatre etc etc for many years. But found that I was randomly pressing buttons without much luck whilst playing with the Topfield. Sure, I haven't read the manual, but, I usually only refer to manuals to learn new tricks.

Just about the only thing I could do was change channels and switch the box on/off. I tried to initiate PiP, and buffer recording. The box did a few things but not what I wanted.

So, to my question.  Is the Topfield user friendly enough?  I was very shocked and dispappointed the first time I saw the unit plugged in and play with it for 3 minutes. 

Yes it is user friendly. 3 mins is a bit short though - its got a lot of features and also lots of ways to do the same thing.

Give it another 10 minutes and RTFM - it is well written.

The box did a few things but not what I wanted.

Sorry, there isn't a remote button to make the brewed coffee LOL!

There are a few remote buttons that you are going to have to get familiar with, but the majority is pretty easy. Notice how everything is nicely placed around the OK button, with fairly good labels. The setup menu etc is easy to navigate. The main thing is knowing which button brings up the filelist I guess? It becomes 2nd nature after a couple of days!

Regards

I've been "thinking" of the Topfield 5000PVR-S since I was 1st playing around with FTA satellite (C-band).  But now I want a DVB-T PVR.  From my reading, the Topfield does not come high specced enough yet.  My dreambox would be;

- Twin Tuner with 1 HDTV output and dual SDTV recording

- DVD Recorder onboard

- Hard disk with full buffer.

- Ability to buffer 2 stations.

- Panasonic/Sony type brand and aesthetic (I can't believe the 5000PVR still looks like a $129 satellite receiver!  The missus will definately complain about $900 for this!)

Since you have seen what a FTA satellite receiver can do, I would have thought 1st on your "wish" list would be a 5000PVR that could receive satellite AND terrestial TV. Its got space for two tuners, why not have one of each?

I've emailed Toppy Aust about this, hoping for such a model soon ...

So, to my question.  Is the Topfield user friendly enough?  I was very shocked and dispappointed the first time I saw the unit plugged in and play with it for 3 minutes.  I am very technically capable and have played around with STB's, home theatre etc etc for many years.  But found that I was randomly pressing buttons without much luck whilst playing with the Topfield.  Sure, I haven't read the manual, but, I usually only refer to manuals to learn new tricks.

Just about the only thing I could do was change channels and switch the box on/off.  I tried to initiate PiP, and buffer recording.  The box did a few things but not what I wanted.

Somehow my reply to this ended up over here

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...ndpost&p=118120

V.

OK, thanks for the comments (except the one about brewing coffee). I guess I will just buy it from HN and try it for more than the casual 3 minutes glance.

As for satellite & terrestrial in one, I really don't think any manufacturer can ever be bothered. Us DTV folks are already a rare bunch, and FTA satellite would be even more so.

Has anyone managed better than $900 in Perth for the 120gb version?

OK, thanks for the comments (except the one about brewing coffee).

It is 1month to Xmas, where the hell is everyone's sense of humour, notice the LOL (means lots of laughs)???

Cool, sorry I missed the "LOL". Working in retail means Xmas is not full of humour until 6pm on the eve. Quite the opposite really.

Actually, I did have my coffee machine hooked up to a remote control.

The Topfield is not 'high specced enough' ???

First time I've heard anyone say that!!!!

As far as user friendliness, I found it a bit daunting at first, but now consider it easier than a standard VCR. You learn a few basic functions and it becomes so intuitive and easy to use, that you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

• 4 weeks later...