Do I need to upgrade my antenna?

I recently had a service guy out to look at some problems with my TV.

Whilst here he asked about my antenna (it's in the roof-space) and suggested that I should upgrade to a better one and have it installed on the roof. He pointed to some "noise" in the otherwise perfect picture on the screen (it wasn't pixelating or anything) and said that a better antenna would fix that.

Now, as far as I'm concerned, if I'm getting a digital signal that isn't locking up & the picture isn't pixelating and the STB reception level is all the way up to the top of the green section (it only has a bar graph not a numeric display) - then my current antenna is just fine.

Is the service guy talking crap? or what?

Whilst here he asked about my antenna (it's in the roof-space) and suggested that I should upgrade to a better one and have it installed on the roof. He pointed to some "noise" in the otherwise perfect picture on the screen (it wasn't pixelating or anything) and said that a better antenna would fix that.

Now, as far as I'm concerned, if I'm getting a digital signal that isn't locking up & the picture isn't pixelating and the STB reception level is all the way up to the top of the green section (it only has a bar graph not a numeric display) - then my current antenna is just fine.

IMO, he's talking crap.

In my experience, 'noise' in the picture is caused by RF interference picked up by inadequately shielded video leads from other nearby video leads and RF flyleads. Read back through some of my posts - or search the forum for "dual-shield RG-59" and "quad-shield RG-6" for some pointers.

AdrianW,

Does this noise have a pattern and is it a coloured pattern? Your location would be useful to see if you are near a high powered broadcasting or TV transmitter.

AlanH

Sounds like the guy is talking crap.

Noise on digital TV is something to do with the program your watching/the TV station your watching.

As long as you don't have breakup, pixelating, sound chirps in normal weather conditions, your fine (heavy rain will cause these effects in most areas).

That's what I thought too. Makes me wonder if everything else he was telling me was a suspect as well.

:blink:

Adrian, what service R U talking about?

Digital or analogue?

To "experts":

Antena should be ON THE ROOF.

There's a few reasons for it and main are that

1. Higher it is, better the signal is (in almost ALL cases).

2. When is out of the roof space, there's no problem with reflections during rain and therefore the signal is stronger and clearer.

3. Being on the roof it is obvious that is away from house electric wires which are main cause of impulse noise which is pretty annoying on Digital.

If you're talking about green bar on your set top box, they are very unreliable, so get the proper technician with proper digital meter to measure the signal strength and quality and then you'll get the real picture of what is going on.

Not knowing the state of your existing antenna if you have any of these 3 things below, I can suggest you to CHANGE not only the antenna but the cabling and connectors too:

1.The antenna is not designed to receive full digital spectrum for your area (eg. case with ch 11 and 12 for Melbourne) and

2.The connection inbetween cable and antenna is screw and saddle

3.The cable is not RG6 Quad

@ kenneth

As long as you don't have breakup, pixelating, sound chirps in normal weather conditions, your fine (heavy rain will cause these effects in most areas).

So .... means you can normaly watch digital service only on "normal" weather conditions? And if somebody have a heavy rain the will have pixelating etc?

Does that have anything to do with "antennas in the roof" scenario (read above)?

I PERSONALY put over 200 antennas and I NEVER had any complaints about Digital pixelation during heavy rain. How's that?

So guys, can you see what good installation means?

Everything is OK if there's no any interference and other unknown problems, but when something goes wrong like "heavy rain" or neighbours fridge doors etc, everything is to blame but the "I don't care" or "she'll be right" or "electrician has done his job" antenna.

So, the guy is maybe NOT talking crap ....

I'm not saying that having the antenna on the roof isn't better, I'm sure it is. But, I'm getting a perfectly good signal now with the antenna inside the roof, putting it on the roof with better cables isn't going to improve the digital signal which I'm already receiving - is it? Any so called "noise" in the picture isn't going to magically disappear with a better/bigger antenna.

I actually had the guy around about my 86cm Pana 200A which has yellow coloured top corners when viewing bright colours (eg sky) and occasionally a green edge on the left of peoples faces. Part of my problem with this quy was he was trying to tell me that a better antenna may improve these problems as well (although I showed him the problems while playing a DVD!).

Coloured corners/fringing could be misconvergence or purity errors.

For misconvergence try geomagnetic setting (not sure if this set has one, refer user manual) to see if altering this can improve things.

Purity errors, degaussing set may improve, usually turn main power switch off for more than 15 mins and then turn back on, set should give a "boinng" and is then de-magnetised, may need to do more than once.

Persistent colour patches may require use of degaussing wand, ensure no items generating magnetic fields eg speakers close to set.

FYI have installed antennas in roof spaces when customers prefer not on roof eg bird dropping/strata title/visual impact issues, providing adequate signal level/error rate obtainable, otherwise antenna goes outside regardless.

I'm not saying that having the antenna on the roof isn't better, I'm sure it is. But, I'm getting a perfectly good signal now with the antenna inside the roof, putting it on the roof with better cables isn't going to improve the digital signal which I'm already receiving - is it? Any so called "noise" in the picture isn't going to magically disappear with a better/bigger antenna.

I actually had the guy around about my 86cm Pana 200A which has yellow coloured top corners when viewing bright colours (eg sky) and occasionally a green edge on the left of peoples faces. Part of my problem with this quy was he was trying to tell me that a better antenna may improve these problems as well (although I showed him the problems while playing a DVD!).

Ok, ok, ok ... that's better. :P

I wasn't sure what you're talking about. Its obviously TV problem.

It can be installed in the roof , but I won't guarantee picture quality by any circumstances.

So, If the customer want to take the risk, it's up to them.

I'm just the person that can't take "maybe" as the answer. :P

Especially on 10k+ systems. :blink:

Coloured corners/fringing could be misconvergence or purity errors.

For misconvergence  try geomagnetic setting (not sure if this set has one, refer user manual) to see if altering this can improve things.

Purity errors, degaussing set may improve, usually turn main power switch off for more than 15 mins and then turn back on, set should give a "boinng" and is then de-magnetised, may need to do more than once.

Persistent colour patches may require use of degaussing wand, ensure no items generating magnetic fields eg speakers close to set.

The service guy made use of the geomagnetic option in the menu, he also used a degaussing wand. Plus I always turn the power off at night (I don't leave it in standby). And the yellow colours still appear in the corners - the actual colour varies depending on the background and sometimes can't be seen at all. It's most obvious with scenes containing light blue or white sky - it always looks like the sun is shining at the top left!

The reply I eventually got from Hills Telefix (after they had "talked to Panasonic" about it) was that I couldn't expect to get a perfect picture with a CRT and if I did want a perfect picture I should consider a plasma.

(Note: I originally talked about these problems with a few posts in this thread the best CRT?)

The reply I eventually got from Hills Telefix (after they had "talked to Panasonic" about it) was that I couldn't expect to get a perfect picture with a CRT and if I did want a perfect picture I should consider a plasma.

This kind of answer just shows their arrogant contempt for customers. At least 98% of users don't have to put up with these manufacturing variances that make 2 sets in 100 unwatchable.

If more than just a few users here have NO such problem, then Panasonic should keep replacing your set until you find one that doesn't give you any problems in the store either. That way you know it is not your speakers or mains wiring or some local Bermuda Triangle causing the problems.

@ kenneth

So .... means you can normaly watch digital service only on "normal" weather conditions? And if somebody have a heavy rain the will have pixelating etc?

Does that have anything to do with "antennas in the roof" scenario (read above)?

I PERSONALY put over 200 antennas and I NEVER had any complaints about Digital pixelation during heavy rain. How's that?

So guys, can you see what good installation means?

Everything is OK if there's no any interference and other unknown problems, but when something goes wrong like "heavy rain" or neighbours fridge doors etc, everything is to blame but the "I don't care" or "she'll be right" or "electrician has done his job" antenna.

So, the guy is maybe NOT talking crap ....

To be honest, usually when it's raining in my area, there is no digital breakup.

Only time it has happened was when there was real heavy rain. Breakup was happening on Digital.

Of course, this is mainly due to the translator site that I use to pickup digital from having low power compared to the main transmitter site in the ACT (which the VHF antenna isn't really designed for (not that it matters with the translator site having all the channels)).

If I was living closer to the main transmitter site and not having hills in the way then I would have (most likely) got no breakup that night (as it was, I got better reception from the main transmitter than the translator for ABC).

I have had problems with signal in the rain, mainly in relation to SBS, which I think were mostly because of a big Silky Oak and a really, really big Mortan Bay fig betweem my antenna and the transmitters. I think the water sitting on the leaves forms a substantial barrier to the signal.

AdrianW,

You seem to have been destracted. Is there patterning over the screen?

AlanH

alanh,

There's no real problem with the reception - it's just that the service guy mentioned that I could get rid of "this noise in the picture" by upgrading my antenna. As far as I'm concerned he's either misinformed or just doesn't "get" digital signals. He was there to look at a couple of TV problems I had which were nothing related to reception.

I'm going to phone Panasonic again and try to get them to do something about my problems, seeing that Hills couldn't and/or wouldn't do anything for me.