Teac PLMSDM1060 under 3K Review

I went to David Jones but they said the sale ended on sunday and they would not repeat the price unless someone else matched it. Which is pretty stupid why would i bother going back to them if ive got the same price where im standing. No one else seems to be able to match it. I want the teac hi def box as well and i will go to 3100 for the both, but im not going to pay more than 3000 for the panel when i know it has been sold for this price before.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to David Jones but they said the sale ended on sunday and they would not repeat the price unless someone else matched it. Which is pretty stupid why would i bother going back to them if ive got the same price where im standing. No one else seems to be able to match it. I want the teac hi def box as well and i will go to 3100 for the both, but im not going to pay more than 3000 for the panel when i know it has been sold for this price before.

Fergo,

retravision also has the Teac in their latest catalogue for $2999. I am sure you could bargain them down if you tell them you also want the STB.

:ph34r:

If your in Melbourne.. round the Heidelberg Area.. i can get them close to cost..

From JB Hi Fi..

I can find out an exact price if you want

MotoMan what exactly is COST price for the above mentioned TEAC.. would be eager to know what retail make on these....

not sure..

id have to ask... but they are no longer selling them at my local JB now.. so not muach chance of that unless they get them again

If your in Melbourne.. round the Heidelberg Area.. i can get them close to cost..

From JB Hi Fi..

I can find out an exact price if you want

MotoMan what exactly is COST price for the above mentioned TEAC.. would be eager to know what retail make on these....

not sure..

id have to ask... but they are no longer selling them at my local JB now.. so not muach chance of that unless they get them again

When I was shopping around to see if anyone could beat David Jones' price of $2695, 2 different retailers told me that their cost price was $2800. Not sure how much salesman's BS this was, but they both gave the same cost price.

teac was going to finish the model but have decided to keep it in the range it is at jb narre warren for 2795 dont know which stores are stocking it but if you speek to one of the sales guys at your local store i think they should be able to get one in this is the cheapest ive seen it in melbourne and it still comes with the 5 year wty teac is keeping the 5 year wty going for a while longer just make sure you buy a hd box with this plasma it dont like sd much colours dont look right and starts to pixilate.thanx kt :blink:

Sorry about the newbie question here, but i'm keen to buy the Teac unit we're all talking about. I notice Dick Smith has them for $2,987 in their new March catalogue (inserted into today's Herald Sun for fellow Melbournites). I'll certainly check DJ's, JB and Hi Fi Supermarket before buying for a better price.

What i'm wondering is, do i need an STB if I have Foxtel Digital at home? I watch all my TV through Foxtel. Will it be an issue that channels 7 & 10 are still the analogue transmissions being re-transmitted through Foxtel?

I see early posts in this thread talked about analogue transmissions looking awful on the PLMSDM1060. So how will my Foxtel Digital transmission look?

If I do get a HD STB, do i then plug Foxtel's digital box into the STB, then the STB into my Pioneer receiver?

I'm so confused! :-}

BlueBoy,

The Teac, like a lot of other low cost digital displays, seems to work best with an HD or progressive scan input. I have not tried it with Foxtel, but I have found the difference between SD and HD (or P'scan DVD) is quite noticeable.

I'd demo the Teac with Foxtel before purchase if you can. You may be better off looking to a panel with a better deinterlacer, (or an external processor), but this will mean extra dollars.

If you get an HD STB you'll want to connect this via DVI and connect Foxtel on another input.

I would recommend getting a HD box to get the best out of this display. The difference between SD (using SCART > component) and HD (using DVI) is huge.

Shop around a bit - I was offered a package of this display + a TEAC DV-B800 HD set top box for $3000. That was in Adelaide, so I expect you will do even better in Melbourne.

I'd demo the Teac with Foxtel before purchase if you can.  You may be better off looking to a panel with a better deinterlacer, (or an external processor), but this will mean extra dollars.

Apparently the TCL 106cm ED plasma has the same deinterlacer as the Infocus X1 projector..

quite a nice picture.. that particular plasma costs $3400 though..

Im personally looking at the TCL now instead of the Teac

I'm not familiar with the TCL unit, can you post a link?

I assume the chip you mean is the Faroudja DCDi. I'd still test it first as it's not only the chip but its implementation that's important, (for example some p.scan DVD players don't do PAL progressive, even though, in theory, they should).

I would recommend getting a HD box to get the best out of this display. The difference between SD (using SCART > component) and HD (using DVI) is huge.

Shop around a bit - I was offered a package of this display + a TEAC DV-B800 HD set top box for $3000. That was in Adelaide, so I expect you will do even better in Melbourne.

Where in Adelaide, figjam??

Where in Adelaide, figjam??

Truscotts, but keep in mind that they only made me this offer when David Jones had them on sale for $2700.

You may be able to use the current Harris Scarfe deal ($2845 +30% off STB) for some leverage?