Teac PLMSDM1060 under 3K Review

Scae, as I've mentioned in previous posts, I recommend an HDSTB via DVI.  My LG looks good, but given the reviews of other trusted forum members I'd be confident in suggesting the Teac HD Box.

If you try hard you might be able to get a good deal on the two as a package for cash.  The STB seems to be going for about $370 and the plasma about $2700 (10% off) at DJ's etc, (and they also offer interest free at this price).  So, you shouldn't have to pay more than $3000 for the two.

Connect the Plasma and STB with a DVI-I cable from Jaycar for $30

Don't forget you'll need a P'scan DVD player - budget about $200 for something like a Pioneer 676.

Teac also have a 5 year warranty until Feb 28.

ChrisM,

I re-inforce your last post. I have been looking high and low for weeks at various options and decided decided today to get the Teac 1060 panel from one of the DJ stores in Brisbane metro region. It is delivered Thursday. I liked their first offer of 10% off during the current sell-out, the 5 year warranty whet my appetite some more but their addition of 2 years interest free, zero deposit was the clincher. A simple form to complete - done in 5 minutes & sent for approval.

Tonight, stopped by the local JB HiFi and got a Teac DVB 800 for the price you mentioned plus good quality DVI & Component cables for a song. Just whacked the DVB 800 into the existing 66cm Teac WS CRT via S-Video for a quick scan and basic set-up & fiddle. This thing is a "plug & play" STB out of the box.

Will set-up the Teac panel & stb combo on Saturday and do some serious relaxing after a DVE calibration.

robo

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thak's for your replays & help. I am still a bit confused with all of this, most of all the stb. I have looked at the next wave thd5150 & seems to have a lot of features but don't know if it would work with the 1060. If I was to spend more on the stb would I get better results ?, or just wasting $. I don't have a problem spending more on the stb as I see it as a good investment for the basis of a good system. will be interested to see how robokopp goes on the w/end with the 1060 & teac hd stb. Thank's for your input.

I'm sure the Next Wave would work with the Teac, but the issue is - how well would it work? Theory seems to be a poor predictor of performance with this sort of budget equipment, so most knowledgeable forum members are only confident to recommend combinations they have actually made work themselves, or know have worked for other forum members.

I can comment on the Teac with an LG box, (firmware 06), because I know it works. I'm pretty confident it would work with the Teac box.

The advantage of the Next Wave seems to be its twin tuners. To make use of this you'd have to sacrifice PQ, because you can't utilise PIP with the Teac if you use DVI/RGB. So, how much advantage is PIP if it means sacrificing PQ?

I'm also looking forward to Robo's review.

Scae, as I've mentioned in previous posts, I recommend an HDSTB via DVI.  My LG looks good, but given the reviews of other trusted forum members I'd be confident in suggesting the Teac HD Box.

If you try hard you might be able to get a good deal on the two as a package for cash.  The STB seems to be going for about $370 and the plasma about $2700 (10% off) at DJ's etc, (and they also offer interest free at this price).  So, you shouldn't have to pay more than $3000 for the two.

Don't forget you'll need a P'scan DVD player - budget about $200 for something like a Pioneer 676.

Chris,

Thanks for your in-depth review. I have had my Teac Plasma now for about 3 weeks and have gone from a really poor PQ to a slightly better PQ - although I still get a lot of clown faces especially on fast moving objects. In terms of PQ on my plasma the following is what I get from different sources:

STB (Toppy 4000) - connected via component to the Teac. I get a full strength meter on all the FTA channels, yet I still get a slightly grainy picture with clown faces - especially noticable on fast moving objects (as you have pointed out). I will try connecting via S-Video to see if I get any improvements in PQ, if not I guess I will be forced to upgrade my new STB (Toppy 4000) to a HD STB and connect via DVI.

DVD (basic LG model) - connected via component to the Teac. Again PQ is not great and I still get clown faces on fast moving objects. I will test the PQ with a well sourced DVD this weekend (eg I Robot) to determine PQ. However, as you have pointed out I may have to upgrade to a progressive DVD player. May be time to get a new DVD anyway as it sometimes refuses to play DVD's that I rent (such as Spiderman) no matter how many different copies I get - I have checked and made sure that the DVD region code is set to Aust (4) and all is correct, but the player refuses to play!

I checked the Teac Plasma at DJ's in Tuggerah yesterday and they had it connected to the Teac SD STB via component and their PQ was so much better than what I had - they had virtually no clown faces even on fast moving objects - they were showing FTA programs! So I am at a bit of a loss as to why I get such a poor PQ.

Anyway, I guess all that there is left for me to do is have a play with the settings on the weekend and if I can't get a better PQ mabe a call to the Teac guys and if that doesn't work, then I guess I am going to have to upgrade my STB and DVD player! Sheesh!!!!!

:ph34r:

Just to add to the PQ discussion:

From my Topfield 5000PVR, via an RGB-Component converter, I too get the clown faces, the fast movement blurriness and the graininess (due, I assume, to downscaling).

However, from my DVD (Zensonic Z300), via component is great. I'm assuming it's due to progressive scan, as it looks like a big improvement over the CRT TV via S-Video (which doesn't carry progressive scan).

Any suggestions on the Toppie setup would be appreciated.

Just to add to the PQ discussion:

From my Topfield 5000PVR, via an RGB-Component converter, I too get the clown faces, the fast movement blurriness and the graininess (due, I assume, to downscaling).

However, from my DVD (Zensonic Z300), via component is great.  I'm assuming it's due to progressive scan, as it looks like a big improvement over the CRT TV via S-Video (which doesn't carry progressive scan).

Any suggestions on the Toppie setup would be appreciated.

Donald,

I have just hooked up the STB (Toppy 4000) via S-Video to the Teac and there is a fair improvement to PQ - I can now actually watch FTA without getting too distracted by the clown faces. Although the clown faces haven't full disappeared, the FTA channels are now bearable to watch.

I went back in to DJ's in Tuggerah and asked how they had their Teac setup (via the SD Teac STB), and the sales guy told me they had it hooked up via S-Video. I didn't notice any clown faces on their picture and they were broadcasting the tennis today. I had a talk to the sales guy and he suggested giving the Teac guys a call so they can send out a technician to come out and have a look at it.

I will check the DVD tomorrow, but I am assuming that the best PQ is going to be with a progressive DVD player.

ChrisM,

I re-inforce your last post. I have been looking high and low for weeks at various options and decided decided today to get the Teac 1060 panel from one of the DJ stores in Brisbane metro region. It is delivered Thursday. I liked their first offer of 10% off during the current sell-out, the 5 year warranty whet my appetite some more but their addition of 2 years interest free, zero deposit was the clincher. A simple form to complete - done in 5 minutes & sent for approval.

Tonight, stopped by the local JB HiFi and got a Teac DVB 800 for the price you mentioned plus good quality DVI & Component cables for a song. Just whacked the DVB 800 into the existing 66cm Teac WS CRT via S-Video for a quick scan and basic set-up & fiddle. This thing is a "plug & play" STB out of the box.

Will set-up the Teac panel & stb combo on Saturday and do some serious relaxing after a DVE calibration.

robo

Good morning, All

It works, and I am pleased with the results. A couple of minor gripes that I will leave until last.

First, I am more interested in DVD movie playback than TV performance.

DVD Movies:

TEAC 1060 panel taking 480P from Pioneer 667A DVD player

I use a Pioneer 667A player into a Pioneer VSX-812 amplifier (receiver). The player is connected via Component to the display and the Progressive output is sent in Auto mode. "Auto" in this player sends NTSC 480P video, no matter what disc (NTSC or PAL) is being played. Just what I wanted. Now, the TEAC panel takes 480P. What a co-incidence. The player & panel were matched to each other using the Digital Video Essentials disc. The factory settings for the panel were re-calibrated:- Colour was dropped to LOW. TEAC panel is at 7,180 degrees Kelvin on LOW, but this is the closest available setting to 6,500K and close enough for the purpose. Setting the other controls as per the DVE disc delivers a picture that is more than pleasing. The film clips on the DVE disc set a benchmark that other discs (movies) may not meet. I may experiment (in the future) with other player/s delivering RGB in the panel's D-Sub connector, but for now this very good PQ and matching my requirements & expectations.

Digital TV:

TEAC STB DVB 800 to TEAC 1060 SD panel, via DVI & other connections

The TEAC DVB 800 and TEAC 1060 panel are connected by 1.8 metre DVI cable. The PQ is very good over DVI. I have also tried the D-SUB connection (same PQ, perhaps a fraction less?), Component and S-Video connections from the STB into the 1060 panel. The PQ degrades as one would expect with S-Video (I could not live with it but others might). My experience is that this combination requires at least Component connection for a minimum acceptable PQ (my opinion).

STB Audio: I tried the optical and did not like it, not because of an STB flaw, but because of what is transmitted over FTA (for now). Have gone back to regular 2 channel L + R audio (as I have done with other STB) and selected an effects mode on the Pioneer 812 amp that fakes up a better surround sound through my system (to my ears).

Gripes, STB, I am bothered

The audio volume differs on this particular box across channels. Of all the received channels (after first scan), half are noticeably softer. This variance is between broadcasters AND between channels of the SAME broadcaster. I never experienced these level drops with my earlier STBs (Thomson DTI 352 and Thomson DTI 500). This may be a fault ofthe particular box and I have to investigate this. Shout back to me if anyone has "been there, done that". (My first stop today is at the store where I purchased).

Gripes, STB, I can live with this

Sometimes, and only sometimes, when I change channels I get the audio but not vision. Changing away once more and returning brings in vision and audio.

Gripes, FTA test patterns

There are none now, and it has been a l-o-n-g time since ABC TV dropped the colour bars on channel 23. So, how can an interested consumer optimise PQ against a standard reference? I do not know, (short of hiring in a calib service provider) so have to adjust settings (trial & error basis) in order to attempt to get the FTA digital signals looking as life-like/ real as that coming from my existing DVD movie player.

In passing

The STB manual and the Plasma manual are inconsistent. Clearly, the manuals were printed and products have changed / improved through time. But, the manuals have not changed and the typos / grammar / factual errors remain.

Minor example, menu images in the STB book are not the same as displayed on the panel.

More important example, panel manual (Page 25) states Mode 16 for panel is not supported. Yet, panel displays incoming signal from STB as, well, Mode 16.

Crazy example, page 17 of panel manual says, "... this monitor can display up to 720 lines using progressive and 1080 lines using interlace". What the author really meant is that these signals are received but down-converted to 480 lines. And said so in a prior paragraph!

Anyway, must resolve the STBproblem of differing audio levels across the channels.

robokopp

I use a Pioneer 667A player into a Pioneer VSX-812 amplifier (receiver).  The player is connected via Component to the display and the Progressive output is sent in Auto mode.  "Auto" in this player sends NTSC 480P video, no matter what disc (NTSC or PAL) is being played.  Just what I wanted.  Now, the TEAC panel takes 480P.

Although the player will output at 480P does it do it at 50 or 60HZ, (this is displayed in the "other" menu)? What is the refresh rate displayed by the screen?

Does the DVD player somehow convert 576 50i to 60P?

BTW, thanks for the review.

I use a Pioneer 667A player into a Pioneer VSX-812 amplifier (receiver).  The player is connected via Component to the display and the Progressive output is sent in Auto mode.  "Auto" in this player sends NTSC 480P video, no matter what disc (NTSC or PAL) is being played.  Just what I wanted.  Now, the TEAC panel takes 480P.

Although the player will output at 480P does it do it at 50 or 60HZ, (this is displayed in the "other" menu)? What is the refresh rate displayed by the screen?

Does the DVD player somehow convert 576 50i to 60P?

BTW, thanks for the review.

Morning ChrisM,

The Pioneer 667A player has 3 modes; NTSC, PAL and AUTO. The mode is changed using 2 front panel buttons, the POWER/STANDBY button and the >>>>> button.

The player set to:

NTSC mode, the TEAC shows 480P on screen and 60Hz in "Other" menu.

AUTO mode, the TEAC shows 480P on screen and 50Hz in the "Other" menu

PAL mode, The TEAC shows 576i on screen and 50Hz in the "Other" menu

The player manual lists:

NTSC format DVD, player setting NTSC, output NTSC

NTSC format DVD player setting PAL, output MOD.PAL

NTSC format disc, player setting AUTO, output NTSC

PAL format DVD, player setting NTSC, output NTSC

PAL format DVD, player setting PAL, output PAL

PAL format DVD, player setting AUTO, output PAL

So far, have put in only PAL discs. This afternoon I will try an NTSC disc with the player in NTSC mode and compare the same film with the PAL version I have and with the player in PAL mode. I will let you know what the TEAC panel displays (same / better / worse?).

robo

Disc Format

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

First of all, the sales guys at all the stores don't know much!

I'm an electronics engineer, and it was interesting to hear the falsities.

eg. in relation to the PLMSDM1060 I was told

It does not accept HD input (it does)

It doesn't have a DVI input (it does)

It has an analog tuner (Not that model)

I watched the LG HD demo at a wow store displaying 7 different 42" panels from a conwa, lg, conia, teac hitachi...for 30 mins and well I can hardly tell any difference between them, even the HD panels. So if I can barley tell side by side, it will make NO difference at home.

Now the good news.

I bought the PLMSDM1060 for $2688 from JB HiFi. (with factory 5 yr warranty)

I also bought a Hot Chip HD Decoder with DVI out (but only using component at present) for $368.

Took about 20mins to setup and my wife and I watched Desperate Housewifes.

All I can say is wow the PQ blew me away, and for those complaining about composite... my goodness its still quite watchable.

The only complaint I have is it doesn't remeber aspect settings for each input.

Thanks to the forum for giving this set a decent thread. :blink:

Thanks for the info labnet.  If you get a chance, try DVI and let us know how it went.

Well I just had the Teac service technicians over last week, but unfortunately I was interstate so my better half had the pleasure of dealing with him. The technician spent about 45mins looking over the screen and confirmed that I had the best possible connections (Toppy 4000 via component) but could not improve PQ - I get awful clown faces and blurriness on fast moving objects.

The technician suggested I buy a Teac HD STB and connect via DVI - which was one of the assumptions I had that he would do. However, I am still at a loss to how the stores can get a better PQ with just a SD STB than what I have. The technician suggested that after I buy the HD STB if it did not improve PQ then the problem may lie with the screen!

I will be making another call to Teac as I don't believe it is good service to tell me to purchase a HD STB for a SD monitor!!!???

I am looking at getting the TEAC.

For those of you that have it, does it have any features to prevent and remove Burn-in?

I have read that other brands have features to slowly move the picture around on the screen and can display an all white screen to remove a retained image.

Gripes, STB, I am bothered

The audio volume differs on this particular box across channels.  Of all the received channels (after first scan), half are noticeably softer.  This variance is between broadcasters AND between channels of the SAME broadcaster. I never experienced these level drops with my earlier STBs (Thomson DTI 352 and Thomson DTI 500).  This may be a fault ofthe particular box and I have to investigate this.  Shout back to me if anyone has "been there, done that".  (My first stop today is at the store where I purchased).

Anyway, must resolve the STBproblem of differing audio levels across the channels.

robokopp

It seems to me audio from Dolby encoded programs are generally softer compared to audio played back using the MPEG setting on my Sony HD STB. Maybe that's some food for thought.

Well I just had the Teac service technicians over last week, but unfortunately I was interstate so my better half had the pleasure of dealing with him. The technician spent about 45mins looking over the screen and confirmed that I had the best possible connections (Toppy 4000 via component) but could not improve PQ - I get awful clown faces and blurriness on fast moving objects.

Does the teac have a gamma option in the picture settings ?. Try playing with this (you may need to re-adjust other picture settings afterwards) . I have used this option with some success on my non teac plasma.

Rob.

Does the teac have a gamma option in the picture settings ?. Try playing with this (you may need to re-adjust other picture settings afterwards) . I have used this option with some success on my non teac plasma.

Rob.

Rob,

Thanks for the tip, but I couldn't find a "gamma" option anywhere on the Teac service manual or on the setup screen on the monitor. Anyway, the Teac guys are coming over again this Friday with a HD STB and a DVI cable to see if it improves PQ. However, that still doesn't resolve the fact that DJ's in their stores run the same Teac monitor I have thru SD STB via either S-Video or Component (I have visited 2 different DJ's stores) and they get a much better (10 fold) FTA picture than what I get?!!!!

Sydneyboy26,

how is component from DVD?  If it looks OK it's probably the Toppy component output that is the problem.

Chris,

I have my DVD (basic LG series) connected via component cables purchased from Jaycar. The PQ from DVD is no better - I still get the same clown faces on still and fast moving pictures. I viewed "I, Robot" (which is supposedly a very well encoded DVD) about a fortnight ago and you could still clearly see the clown faces on Will Smith's face.

I went into DJ's Castle Hill today and they have the teac set up via a DGTEC (Sony) HD STB via composite of all things and they were running the Nine HD loop. The picture was a little pixelated as you would expect, however, when I had the assistant flick over to FTA the PQ they got was marginally better than what I currently have. This leads me to believe that the problem I have is related to the screen.

Anyway, I will find out tomorrow as the Teac techinicians are coming over again and they are bringing a HD STB and DVI cable to see what difference this makes if any?

Guest robbrissy

Ill just add my 2 cents since ive had a bit of pain and i havnt seen anyone else mention the issue I had.

I bought a Teac 1060 a week or so ago had a few hiccups but to make a long story short it had one problem that i could not live with. Basically 2 different units i played with had bad image retention issues. Something as simple as leaving the default Pioneer hot pink logo on black on the screen for 3-4 minutes would be visible for 15-20 minutes once i started the movie again. I happened to do this the first time watching Underworld and as its a dark movie the pioneer logo was very visible for almost 20 minutes.

I did some more tests and just bringing up the control menu for the plasma for 1-2 minutes made the box area of the screen where the menu appeared be lighter than the surrounding areas for 5 plus minutes after the menu was exited.

Over all for the rest the picture quality was acceptible I wouldnt say great after having played with other units today and setting up the other plasma i have now.

I ended up getting a Hitachi 42PMA300A - for just under $3500. [yes quite a bit more change than the teac] - price included stand/speakers 1 year waranty.

[additional waranty out to 5 years would cost another $500]

Now that I have the Hitachi home and setup I have noticed that its blacks and range of colours and tones on screen are noticable better to me than Teac 1060. Im very happy I spent the extra now having had the Teac for comparison. The primary reason i returned the teac was the image retention - which drove me batty, however im very happy with the better picture on the hitachi.

I am a little surprised noone else has notice this retention and mentioned it here.

I have talked to someone else with a Teac 1060 and they said they had noticed it but it wasnt anything near a fraction as severe as what i had experienced. The teac Unit I had an April 2004 build date so possibly older ones exhibit this more as the person I contacted had a much more recent build date on his unit.

If you can see the unit running before purchase you can easilly confirm the retention behaviour in store by just popping the service menu for 2 minutes then going back to no signal to see the box then trying to play some video. NOTE: bright and very busy video isnt going to display the retention as its generally a brightening of the area the static image was in.

Hope this might help somene and not just muddy the water.

robbrissy,

thanks for the input. I haven't noticed excessive image retention, but the Teac does have the contrast set way too high out of the box. I think if you wind the contrast down by at least 50%, and run the screen in for a few hundred hours, the image retention is less of a problem. My screen has a Nov 04 build date, but the LG screen it uses is much older, so it's likely they're all the same.

I think all plasmas suffer from image retention problems when they are new and at "out of the box" settings. I think this was an issue with the NEC as well.

The Teac is not the best screen around by any stretch. It requires pretty careful set-up/inputs to look good, so it's not for everyone.

Sydneyboy26, any joy with Teac yet?

Guest robbrissy

Hi ChrisM,

I had both contrast and brightness way down as i had read this thread before I bought the unit. In addition they were to hot out of the box anyway = eye searingly once setup at home that they desperately needed it wound back.

I even wound back the brightness in the optoins for the control menu however it didnt seem to make a lot of difference.

The unit I had for several days turned out to be a demo unit from floor display [it wasnt supposed to be but something fishy went on]. It had pretty serious immage retnetion of text from a dvd option menu on the screen [some starwars one]. It also had very prominent marks above and below the normal widescreen dvd movie area. After the 5 or so days i had it with assorted video and fiddling the burn in text was still legible but very obviously fading with more normal video being fed to the display. However what i guess to be the effects of burn in on upper and lower [well technically the center was burnt in not the upper/lower] portions of screen didnt seem to change much and was still very noticelable in video that used that part of the screen as a change in brightness there if the video wasnt busy or wasnt bright it self.

I actually went and played with another Teac unit in a store and on selecting a video input with no video source it was quite obvious it had visible image retention issues to.

The unit i have now ive done a bunch of similar tests and not one has show any after image at all. I am not game to trying any static images for more than 10minutes or so since I really dont want to find out i can make this hitachi one have an after image :blink: hehe its a new toy..

Robin

Hi Chris,

I had the Teac technician over of Friday morning and he basically avoided answering my question of why other monitors that I have seen connected up in the stores with a SD STB had a better PQ than mine. The technician kept reiterating that in his opion and experience all the 1060's were the same and he had seen no difference in PQ with any of them in the past. The technician brought over the Teac DVB800 STB (HD) and connected via DVI, the PQ was considerably better (as expected) and I was basically left with the option of upgrading to a HD STB to get better PQ.

I did notice that even with the HD STB there was still some clown faces on fast moving pictures - the technician was showing me FTA Nine HD (not the HD loop) which was showing a boxing scene from an upcoming movie. The technician told me that the reason for the clown faces with fast moving pictures was to do with the refresh rate on the monitor (I thought refresh rates for Teac was similar to other SD monitors???) and the only way to get rid of them was to uprgrade to a HD Monitor.

So I guess in the end I will just end up buying a HD STB and a progressive scan DVD player!

robbrissy,

thanks for the input.  I haven't noticed excessive image retention, but the Teac does have the contrast set way too high out of the box.  I think if you wind the contrast down by at least 50%, and run the screen in for a few hundred hours, the image retention is less of a problem.  My screen has a Nov 04 build date, but the LG screen it uses is much older, so it's likely they're all the same.

I think all plasmas suffer from image retention problems when they are new and at "out of the box" settings.  I think this was an issue with the NEC as well.

The Teac is not the best screen around by any stretch.  It requires pretty careful set-up/inputs to look good, so it's not for everyone.

Sydneyboy26, any joy with Teac yet?

Im after one of these TEAC SD panels.

I have a Progressive Scan DVD player and will get a HD STB.

Can anyone who has purchased the TEAC 106cm SD panel in the last 2-3 weeks please post price and store location?

Thanks

Michael

Michael,

I saw them in David Jones Sydney last week for $2700 (which included a 10% discount sale they were having) with a 5yr warranty.

Im after one of these TEAC SD panels.

I have a Progressive Scan DVD player and will get a HD STB.

Can anyone who has purchased the TEAC 106cm SD panel in the last 2-3 weeks please post price and store location?

Thanks

Michael

Michael,

I saw them in David Jones Sydney last week for $2700 (which included a 10% discount sale they were having) with a 5yr warranty.