REMINDER: Daylight Savings

Just been going through the TV guide for next week and it's that time of the year that every Tasmanian loves where for 3 weeks (or 4?) many programs are shown at later timeslots.

Just reminding people to check through their timer settings or to keep it in mind. This year with the new station, it appears that everything will just be an hour later than usual on TDT.

ABC will have a lot of daytime programs an hour late and WIN and Southern Cross, will have all the live programs an hour later.

Just check the guides so you don't get disappointed when you miss your favourite programs.

Happy reading of the TV guides!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay. Let's hope WIN do some digital timeshifting to handle programs that are on an hour earlier than the mainland - I seem to remember a wonderful collection of analog artefacts this time last year. Let's hope SCX do a better job (as they usually do!). :blink:

Snaps for the ABC, though. It's pretty impressive that they can run The 7.30 Report on delay everywhere else in Australia, so that it doesn't run at 8:30pm in Tasmania. Just a shame they don't do it with national radio - the JJJ presenters just love doing multiple time reads.

And of course, don't forget SBS - they are exactly the same as TDT, with everything on an hour later than normal. At least this is easy to remember!

- Miles.

I'm looking forward to the Today Show @ 10pm :blink:

Interesting we had to start daylight savings the last weekend in August 2000 for the Olympics, yet we've started daylight savings 3 to 4 weeks before the other States in October for over a decade and none will give it a go.

h

And a reminder to turn on Daylight Savings in your Board Settings, since there isn't a Tasmanian time zone available. Click "My Controls" (right of your 'logged in as' line at the top of this page) then "Board Settings" (in the bottom left panel).

- Miles.

Yay. Let's hope WIN do some digital timeshifting to handle programs that are on an hour earlier than the mainland - I seem to remember a wonderful collection of analog artefacts this time last year

LOL. It was a great looking time for WIN wasn’t it! What with every single show a washed out grey colour, with a soft muddy appearance and crawling dots along all edges :blink:

I'd be more than a little amazed if that have upgraded any time-shifting equipment since this time last year. I think we're in for the same analogue mess.

That analogue type dot crawl mess will only disappear when WIN finally closes down its Hobart Presentation facilities and move the control of the output to Wollongong head office. WIN won't be spending the extra money in the Hobart location that will eventually close down anyway.

ct :ph34r:

On another note, last time I looked, I think somebody forgot to tell the TV Stations in both Launceston and Hobart about the changing times, only the ABC had changed their clocks earlier although it caused problems with the NaN information.

The clock would say the current time but the Now and Next was an hour behind.

And snaps for TDT, for making sure that the "1 hour later in Tasmania" appears on station promos for programs this week. Better than nothing!

I noticed this for the Australian Idol promos, is this something that just appears on TDT ads or does that message get shown on all SC10 ads? Just out of curiosity.

Another note about clocks etc... I noticed this morning on Sunrise that they had an extra clock running straight from 7am showing the Tasmanian time, but when I came back from having a shower, the clock was gone and it was just the usual clock an hour behind.

Another note about clocks etc... I noticed this morning on Sunrise that they had an extra clock running straight from 7am showing the Tasmanian time, but when I came back from having a shower, the clock was gone and it was just the usual clock an hour behind.

Maybe they were wondering how to get the Tasmanian clock on top of the Sunrise clock? I presume it used to line up. :blink:

- Miles.

Strange that you guy's are talking about DST as it is still AEST here in the ACT and NSW (last weekend of October is when we have to change the time).

Tasmanians have been putting their clocks forward on the first weekend in October since 1992. The rest of the country followed our lead for the Sydney Olympics in 2000, changing over in September. We turn our clocks back at the same time - the last Sunday in March.

It has the unfortunate effect of putting us one hour ahead, which wreaks havoc with TV scheduling, since many of our programs are relayed live from the mainland.

Typically this involves a combination of crappy delayed telecasts (WIN in particular), removing some programs completely (ACA), rescheduling some live programs (Today Tonight, Insiders), 'recording' live programs an hour earlier to maintain correct time in Tasmania (7.30 Report), showing repeats instead of new programs (WIN used to do this) and running all programs one hour later (SBS, TDT). In fact, for some years Tasmania was always a week (one episode of most shows) behind the mainland so that during this three/four week window we wouldn't have to show programs an hour later.

- Miles.

To add to Rochford's explanation there, we also get some other programs ahead of the mainland, Southern Cross, keeps shows like All Saints and Blue Heelers (except for the last couple of minutes and credits, but that's another issue!) on at 8:30pm, so just as it's finishing here, it's starting in Melbourne or Sydney.

I had a look earlier at the NaN on ABC, it seemed to be right today, although it said the day was Sunday, but with Monday's problem, that was with my Topfield set on Manual time.

EDIT: Seems to be right again now. Don't know what that was all about.

Edited by ando9185

And now it does! A bright red clock, overlaid correctly - even in 16:9. Good work SCX.

I might add WIN did a neat job on Today as well.

- Miles.

yeah, I noticed both of these this morning, I was quite impressed by the effort of WIN on the Today show, that isn't said too often!

I even noticed on Sunrise this morning when they were advertising things they were saying the Tas time too. e.g. Coming up at 10 past 7, 10 past 8 in Tassie etc...

• 11 months later...

It's nearly upon us again!

Start finding the instructions for all your clocks and watches, Tasmania goes to Daylight Savings at 2am next Sunday morning (October 2nd).

Don't forget to change your settings for these boards and check your timers. Once again on the TV front, it appears pretty similar to previous years, all LIVE programs are an hour later in Tasmania and all TDT programs are an hour later than usual.

I've been looking for the little "One hour later in Tasmania" clock on all the TDT ads, but then I realised this year, they have the correct times written.

e.g. Australia's Brainiest Kid - 7:30 Sunday

Australian Idol - 8:30 Sunday and Monday.

Well done TDT, and don't forget to put all your clocks forward one hour tonight.

Sad (but hardly surprising) to see that WIN looks as horrible as ever during our early daylight savings period. Rather than type out my observations I'll just cut and past exactly what I said last year :P

It was a great looking time for WIN wasn’t it! What with every single show a washed out grey colour, with a soft muddy appearance and crawling dots along all edges  :blink:

I'd be more than a little amazed if that have upgraded any time-shifting equipment since this time last year. I think we're in for the same analogue mess.

Yep, nothing has changed.

Another thing I have noticed this year is ABC2 is now an hour delayed, it stuffs up the EPG on my Toppy now!

I also noticed that even the TDT "Tuesday is..." etc... promos have the right times.

e.g. last night it had:

Tuesday is....

8:30 All New Simpsons

9:30 Brainiac

10:30 Rove Live

But I have also noticed the problems on WIN darklord, and that's pretty good considering the equipment I have.

It's OK Guys all your problems will be fixed on October 30 when the Eastern States (excl Queensland) begin Daylight Saving.

If I can ask a silly question; What advantage does Tasmania get out of starting daylight saving a month before mainland states? Wouldn't it ruin your schedule slightly?

Does it have to do with different earlier Sunrise and later Sunset times this time of the year?

I remember the nightmare we used to have when Victoria and New South Wales had different start and end dates (especially those cities and towns close to the Murray)

As far as I'm concerned I think Tasmania has got it partly right. If it were up to me I would begin Daylight Saving at the start of October and finish at the end of February. I believe at the moment the end of October is a little late to start and the end of March is a little too late to finish. It's very annoying towards the end of March when it is still pitch black at 8.00am (In Mildura anyway).

I heard the reason Queenslanders didn't want daylight savings is because they didn't need the extra hour, 24 hours in a day was quite enough for them..

My curtains haven't faded yet, maybe it's cause I have blinds.

Mazda, not sure why we go on a month earlier, but I like it at the beginning of October, I love having the sun setting in the evening now (about 7:30 at the moment) and not rising at 5:15am for another month or so.

I think we're just waiting for NSW, VIC, ACT and SA to all move onto daylight savings at the beginning of October too.

Daylight savings?  What's that?  OOOOOOhhh, its that thing that makes all the programs on Austar jump one hour because us QLDers don't want daylight savings because it fades the curtains too much    :blink:

What ever!

It's really weird that in a State where it would make more sense to have daylight saving - it doesn't. I mean what a waste of sunshine. I hate the thought of coming home from work and it's already pitch black outside. Why call yourself the Sunshine State when you can't even make good use of it.