The 42" sounds fantastic. Anyone from Perth know where one is set up?

I doubt that they are available anywhere in Perth at this time. I've tried all Harvey Norman outlets, Retravision, Megamart, Rick Hart, West Coast HIFI and JB. Nothing...

Most seem to be aware that new NEC models exist, but can't give me any information as to when they will be available here.

Good ol' Perth .... however, we do have a Brownlow medal ...

Chris

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone else have the NEC Plasmasync Model range catalog ?.

I noticed looking at the spec sheet, the Silver model (PX-42XR3W) has a different Spec List to the Grey (PX-42XM3W) model. It appears there are a fair number of differences other than the bezel colour.

Hi guys wel I have been staying away from this thread and trying to live with my Hitachi but I have to say that I am getting very itchy and it's probably a good time to sell the Hitachi - just before the new model which must be due any time...

Anybody have any idea what a Hitachi37" is worth and where's the best place to advertise it?

Where can I find contact details about Ehome? Is this the mob in Carnegie in Melbourne?

TIA,

I noticed looking at the spec sheet, the Silver model (PX-42XR3W) has a different Spec List to the Grey (PX-42XM3W) model.  It appears there are a fair number of differences other than the bezel colour.

Jewfish,

I was not made aware of any differences by eHome (other than them strongly recommending matte-black for home use - and I now endorse that!).

If you have any specific issues that I can clear up from my manuals, then post any questions you want (or PM me if no-one else has answered within a reasonable time).

One thing though: the Operation Manual seems to apply to both 42" and 50" grey and silver models, but the Model Information manual is specifically for the 42XM3.

Ian

Hi guys wel I have been staying away from this thread and trying to live with my Hitachi but I have to say that I am getting very itchy and it's probably a good time to sell the Hitachi - just before the new model which must be due any time...

Anybody have any idea what a Hitachi37" is worth and where's the best place to advertise it?

Where can I find contact details about Ehome? Is this the mob in Carnegie in Melbourne?

TIA,

Hey Angry,

When I was looking for the Hitachi 37" just 2 weeks ago I couldn't even find one close to Alebonau's purchase price of $5,900 (and I'm a pretty good negotiator)!

Since it is such a good panel in its own right, I would suggest you try to offer it at around the $6,000 mark in the weekend paper (quoting the current RRP and approximate 'street' price as well) - then pick up the NEC for $5,500!!! You won't regret the swap and you can buy me a beer out of the $500 change if successful. :blink:

Indeed, someone here in a Hitachi thread might PM you with such an offer - if they need the Hitachi's size, media box, analogue tuner, stand, speakers, reputation, [or whatever] - and you can give them a 1-day cooling off period to change their mind when they plug it in at home. Who knows - you'll both win!

Cheers,

Ian

Quote: "Good ol' Perth .... however, we do have a Brownlow medal ..."

You do know that's a Victorian with that Brownlow?!

Ahhh .... but in which state did he LEARN those silky skills ....

Okay, this is getting off topic and, having been raised in WA, I don't want to get in to a slagging match BUT I'm pretty sure he had those skills when he left school! At least, that's what the selectors thought.

I noticed looking at the spec sheet, the Silver model (PX-42XR3W) has a different Spec List to the Grey (PX-42XM3W) model.  It appears there are a fair number of differences other than the bezel colour.

What differences did you find ? Youve got me going now :blink:

Angelo

PS. Does anyone know what the best price quoted in the forum is for the TEAC DVI box?

$590

Angelo

Thanks again for that price, Angelo! You saved me a few hours trying to search the forum for clues. :P

But you will be pleased to know that I used the time you saved me to good advantage - and picked up a DV-B800 from JB in Adelaide St (ironic, eh?!), Brisbane for $549! They were the only place I went to - and I made it clear that if the price was right, I was walking out with it! They were then so nice to me that I also took* a Pioneer DV-676A DVD/SACD/DVD-A/DivX/etc/etc off their hands for $210!! All up cost was less than I was expecting you to tell me for the DV-B800 alone! They agreed to match these prices for anyone else reading this who might be interested in Bris - ask for Luke (he has 3 DV-B800's left).

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a taxi, so Jaycar will have to wait until tomorrow for me to pick up a DVI cable - and the BNC connectors for Toppy RGBS. :blink:

One very happy little black duck,

Ian

PS. Can you believe that they had a pile of Panasonic HD 104's on 'special' - marked down to 'only' $668! Sheeeesh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PPS. For Toppy fans: the Teac front panel is quite similar in design to the Toppy 5000 - though better quality. Hardly a recommendation for Teac aesthetics - but in my case it is an advantage!!

* I don't have - or intend to buy - any SACDs or DVD-As until I upgrade my audio setup. But I needed an inexpensive CD/DVD/etc player that DIDN'T crush blacks and DIDN'T have a switch on the back to change video outputs! Good riddance to the LG is all I can say!

I walked in to Dick Smith power house Highpoint tonight to buy Teac HD STB and they would not budge from $640 even tho the ticket price was $669

These guys suck

With regards to the difference between the 50XR4 and 50XM4.

The only online info I can find is about the US models, which may not be appropriate to the "w" australian models. However, 50XM4 and 50XR4 US models are identical, excepting frame colour.

Compare US Plasma Models

I too have heard that there is some other difference, but have not been able to find out what it is. It would seem pretty silly though to have such similar models with a very subtle difference, and the online retailers seem to think that the models are equivalent.

With regards the 42XR3 and 42XM3 there DOES seem to be a difference (try the above web site). The price and FCC class (what ever that is) is different!. One is a "commercial" and one is a "home" use plasma.

They seem to otherwise be equal in specs tho - so why the extra cost and alternate classification?

J

The only online info I can find is about the US models, which may not be appropriate to the "w" australian models. However, 50XM4 and 50XR4 US models are identical, excepting frame colour.

Compare US Plasma Models

I too have heard that there is some other difference, but have not been able to find out what it is. It would seem pretty silly though to have such similar models with a very subtle difference, and the online retailers seem to think that the models are equivalent.

With regards the 42XR3 and 42XM3 there DOES seem to be a difference (try the above web site). The price and FCC class (what ever that is) is different!. One is a "commercial" and one is a "home" use plasma.

They seem to otherwise be equal in specs tho - so why the extra cost and alternate classification?

J

I spoke to NEC prior to hunting these plasma's down and was told point blank the only difference between the two was the colour of the front bezel

I spoke to NEC prior to hunting these plasma's down and was told point blank the only difference between the two was the colour of the front bezel

I'm not sure if this is how you add a link, but I scanned in the back page from the NEC Brochure I got. It shows the black and silver have a different remote control and other features which are written differently.

http://users.tpg.com.au/robste/nec2.jpg

File is 1.5MB.

Rob.

I'm not sure if this is how you add a link, but I scanned in the back page from the NEC Brochure I got. It shows the black and silver have a different remote control and other features which are written differently.

http://users.tpg.com.au/robste/nec2.jpg

File is 1.5MB.

Rob.

Will be able to tell you tomorrow if the remotes are differnt as i have the silver one at the moment that has had the bezel changed to black but tomorrow will be getting a new black one

Will be able to tell you tomorrow if the remotes are differnt as i have the silver one at the moment that has had the bezel changed to black but tomorrow will be getting a new black one

Glen,

At a quick glance (I'm not at all familiar with any of the functions yet!), it looks like some differences in Screensaver options (more with XR than XM) and colour temp options (more with XM than XR)?

BTW, while you are talking to them: the manual refers in many places to 1080i as being 60Hz only. Would like to know if this a printing oversight (US manual?) or a fact? (The Footy worked beautifully with 1080i @ 50Hz - at least I think that's what it was doing with the NineHD loop using HD1 and RGBHV from the Footy's XGA port?!?!)

Also, sorry about the delay with a Toppy review - but I'm having major problems getting everything to work with 3 new toys, hundreds of pages of manuals to read for them all, and a major change in my wiring arrangements. Plus I'm a bit thick with setups anyway. :blink::P

Cheers,

Ian

Could someone please tell me what DVI cable I need for DVI-I (TEAC DVB800) -> DVI-D (NEC 42XM3W)? ... and where I might find one? Jaycar?

Went to Jaycar today to pick one up - then came home with all sorts of things EXCEPT the DVI cable! &%@*#! I need a brain transplant - real soon!

Guest Mattrus1503559750

Great thread! I'm going to ditch my Sammy DLP saving mission and check these out... cheaper and plamas look sexy. Cheers for all the great info and reviews guys.

MB.

Glen,

At a quick glance (I'm not at all familiar with any of the functions yet!), it looks like some differences in Screensaver options (more with XR than XM) and colour temp options (more with XM than XR)?

BTW, while you are talking to them: the manual refers in many places to 1080i as being 60Hz only. Would like to know if this a printing oversight (US manual?) or a fact? (The Footy worked beautifully with 1080i @ 50Hz - at least I think that's what it was doing with the NineHD loop using HD1 and RGBHV from the Footy's XGA port?!?!)

Also, sorry about the delay with a Toppy review - but I'm having major problems getting everything to work with 3 new toys, hundreds of pages of manuals to read for them all, and a major change in my wiring arrangements. Plus I'm a bit thick with setups anyway. :blink::P

Cheers,

Ian

No probs on all accounts dude

I will either have achat to Geoff ot NEC on Monday

• Moderators
Could someone please tell me what DVI cable I need for DVI-I (TEAC DVB800) -> DVI-D (NEC 42XM3W)? ... and where I might find one? Jaycar?

Went to Jaycar today to pick one up - then came home with all sorts of things EXCEPT the DVI cable!  &%@*#! I need a brain transplant - real soon!

this was confirmed by TEAC suport on the forum. You just need a dvi-d cable with the TEAC. They only put in a dvi-i so you can plug it into lcd monitors and the like that sometimes come with a dvi-i cable.

I got my dvi-d cable from jaycar, heres a link.

http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?...eMax=&SUBCATID=

hehehe yes jaycar is one of those stores you walk into for something very specific and very quickly surrounded with gadgets you end up buying 6 other things you probably don't really need!

Hi guys,

How do these NEC plasmas compare with the Panasonic Viera 42" ???

I ask because I am just about to go and return my 42" philips junk and swap it for something else. I don't want to make another mistake...and I am not sure what brand or model to go for.....not sure if Myer Megamart sell NEC plasmas??

Hi guys,

I ask because I am just about to go and return my 42" philips junk and swap it for something else. I don't want to make another mistake...and I am not sure what brand or model to go for.....not sure if Myer Megamart sell NEC plasmas??

The NEC for PQ is better then the Panasonic and i think the black levels may not be as deep as the pana but its not far off at all.

Pana 1year warranty

NEC 3 years warranty

Pana does suffer from Solarisation

NEC Does NOT

Viera doent not have a DVI input

NEC Does

You will pick the NEC up cheaper than the Pana

I was waiting for the Viera to come out but when i heard that had not increased the warranty and not included a DVI input it was out of the race .

I have seen the Viera 42" and 50" and didnt do much for me i must admit the 50 was in a store but the 42 was at my wifes freinds place and set up well

• Moderators
PS. Does anyone know what the best price quoted in the forum is for the TEAC DVI box?

$590

Angelo

Thanks again for that price, Angelo! You saved me a few hours trying to search the forum for clues. :P

But you will be pleased to know that I used the time you saved me to good advantage - and picked up a DV-B800 from JB in Adelaide St (ironic, eh?!), Brisbane for $549! They were the only place I went to - and I made it clear that if the price was right, I was walking out with it! They were then so nice to me that I also took* a Pioneer DV-676A DVD/SACD/DVD-A/DivX/etc/etc off their hands for $210!! All up cost was less than I was expecting you to tell me for the DV-B800 alone! They agreed to match these prices for anyone else reading this who might be interested in Bris - ask for Luke (he has 3 DV-B800's left).

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a taxi, so Jaycar will have to wait until tomorrow for me to pick up a DVI cable - and the BNC connectors for Toppy RGBS. :blink:

Ian

PS. Can you believe that they had a pile of Panasonic HD 104's on 'special' - marked down to 'only' $668! Sheeeesh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PPS. For Toppy fans: the Teac front panel is quite similar in design to the Toppy 5000 - though better quality. Hardly a recommendation for Teac aesthetics - but in my case it is an advantage!!

* I don't have - or intend to buy - any SACDs or DVD-As until I upgrade my audio setup. But I needed an inexpensive CD/DVD/etc player that DIDN'T crush blacks and DIDN'T have a switch on the back to change video outputs! Good riddance to the LG is all I can say!

I walked in to Dick Smith power house Highpoint tonight to buy Teac HD STB and they would not budge from $640 even tho the ticket price was $669

These guys suck

didn't you have one already(Teac HD STB). pretty sure you got one from jb city didn't you (when you started the teac hd box thread) or did that one go back for some reason?

$590

Angelo

Ian

These guys suck

didn't you have one already(Teac HD STB). pretty sure you got one from jb city didn't you (when you started the teac hd box thread) or did that one go back for some reason?

Yeah went back when i got rid of the Marantz

this was confirmed by TEAC suport on the forum. You just need a dvi-d cable with the TEAC. They only put in a dvi-i so you can plug it into lcd monitors and the like that sometimes come with a dvi-i cable.

Many thanks, Al ... just arrived back from Jaycar with that good quality DVI-I DualLink cable you suggested ($29.95).

Kewl! TEAC DVB800 piccy looks great!!!

Hey Glen,

Just thought I would let you know before the shops close - :P - the Toppy kicks butt via RGBS onto the NEC BNCs!! - and kicks the Footy (XGA) right out of the park!

In fact, until the NineHD Loop comes on this arvo (which will allow me to set colours properly), it actually has better colour than the TEAC DVB800 via DVI!!! (The Teac still wins for clarity though).

First bit of good news I've had in days. :blink:

Ian

Many thanks, Al ... just arrived back from Jaycar with that good quality DVI-I DualLink cable you suggested ($29.95).

Kewl! TEAC DVB800 piccy looks great!!!

:blink: Angelo

The NEC kicks the Viera into oblivion for picture quality! The picture from the NEC is as good as anything I've ever seen - at up to 3 times the price!

But ... there's always a 'but' with me! ... it falls down in the cosmetics! The panel alone is very nice (slim dark grey bezel - designed for multi-panel setups) but: fugly stand, inconvenient cabling if you plan to wall mount with decent quality interconnects from up to 7 different video sources, expensive speaker option ($1k rrp), slightly clumsy remote functions, stacks of fine tuning options to wade through (not for the faint-hearted).

It's a bit like comparing a Porsche with a Toyota! If you want the best picture you've ever seen - with NO digital artifacts whatsoever - then go for the NEC; if you want something that's very easy to use and looks pretty when it's turned off, then go for the Viera. (Have a look at the Viera next to a Toshiba or Sony 76/86cm CRT at HN and you will see how bad the Viera's video processing is).

2i cents,

Ian

Specs Note: The NEC panel is only 1024x768 pixels, but looks [to me] just as detailed as a 1366x1024 Fujitsu (just imagine what that glass would look like with NEC's electronics driving it!). NEC's electronics give 4096 'colour gradations' giving a total of about 68 billion colours (the Viera is just 1024 steps = 1 billion colours)!

Hey Glen,

Just thought I would let you know before the shops close -  :P - the Toppy kicks butt via RGBS onto the NEC BNCs!! - and kicks the Footy (XGA) right out of the park!

In fact, until the NineHD Loop comes on this arvo (which will allow me to set colours properly), it actually has better colour than the TEAC DVB800 via DVI!!! (The Teac still wins for clarity though).

First bit of good news I've had in days. :blink:

Ian

Hey cool dude

I am on the way out ot buy the toppy

I have had a chat to Geoff about the differnces and will give you the run down when i get back

Well, just got back from Megamart....and decided to swap the Philips for the Viera. They don't stock NEC so I was at a loss as to what to do. I compared the Viera to a fujitsu they had in there and didn't notice any difference. I get the feeling that there aren't too many Viera followers here?

Well, just got back from Megamart....and decided to swap the Philips for the Viera. They don't stock NEC so I was at a loss as to what to do. I compared the Viera to a fujitsu they had in there and didn't notice any difference. I get the feeling that there aren't too many Viera followers here?

How long did you have the Philips for?

Compare US Plasma Models

J

The remote is different as indidacted in a earlier post

On the XR3 the bottom part of the remote was taken up by a button for each input

The menu is also a little differnt and the all white screen option not on this model

To me this looks more like what a commercial model would be like

Well ... it is an NEC thread?!

You should start a Viera thread when you get it set up so that other users and potential buyers can share experiences. I think the Viera looks fantastic - just didn't like the PQ.