Sign in to follow this  
glenncol

NEW NEC HD Plasma

So groover back to the NEC's. I've been told this latest model doesn't have the best video scalar as opposed to the other. Your thoughts?

So groover back to the NEC's. I've been told this latest model doesn't have the best video scalar as opposed to the other. Your thoughts?

Quite the opposite with the other 2 Plasmas Ive had I ran Foxtel(RGB) to a Transcoder then to component connections because S-Video Foxtel was terrible.

On the Nec Ive gone back to Foxtel S- video because the video scaler is that brillant .

I also run a progressive dvd player and the PQ is second to none.

Angelo

The guidelines state that offers and other benefits for a members commercial gain are not tolerated. We act on such offers following member reports and/or we sight them ourselves.

Any one with an issue with a member posting commercial threads in nature may use the report button to bring it to my attention. Posting prices and other "Buy it from me!" posts are not acceptable under any circumstance. Do not do it.

Most of the suppliers that use this forum have been better then they were previously. Please do not fall into the trap of going back to the dark ages. These forums are provided so that members can provide information to members.

In some circumstances, a supplier posting that "We have that product" is acceptable in the most smallest of circumstances.

As for suppliers putting a disclaimer in their signatures, we currently do not enforce this policy, but we do recommend that suppliers do make a signature to that effect to not appear "as biased".

All posts on the issue at hand have been deleted. Anyone wanting to discuss this, PM me. Otherwise, get this thread back on track.

Edited by Coral

Interesting Groover I might have to take a trip to check this baby out.

Value for money there really isnt anything which comes close to the 50inch.

Let us know what you think.

Angelo

If there are multiple readers of this thread who are serious about purchasing a new NEC, and want the best price, why not all get together and purchase in bulk from one supplier.

Surely this should yield a better price then everyone purchasing individually.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Owen

I have ordered one of the 50 inch models but with the talk of the noise from the fan I must admit that I am concerned. I also had a so called expert tell me that the NEC is no where near as good as the Pioneer.

Can someone comment & reassure me that I have made a wise decision to purchase this unit. I was interested in the Sharp 45 inch LCD that is due to be released soon. I hope that it will not blow away the NEC.

Talk it up guys, give me some reassurrance!!!

I have ordered one of the 50 inch models but with the talk of the noise from the fan I must admit that I am concerned. I also had a so called expert tell me that the NEC is no where near as good as the Pioneer.

Can someone comment & reassure me that I have made a wise decision to purchase this unit. I was interested in the Sharp 45 inch LCD that is due to be released soon. I hope that it will not blow away the NEC.

It will be interesting to see just how good the new sharp LCD is. I suspect its pretty much the same as their other LCDs in technology terms. LCD is well in the early days in comparison to PQ with respect to Plasma. I think you've made the right decision.

I would be interested in a group buy. Does someone want to do some negotiations with someone reputable and see what price we can get ?

Rob.

On the noisy fan side of it, mine is alot louder than the showroom model and Ive gotten so used to it I dont hear it anymore.

The Pioneer is a very good model but where on earth are you going to get it for the same price as the NEC.

IMHO the other thing is the Pioneer really is yesterdays hero, it suffers from motion jidders,solarisation,dancing pixels upclose,colour is hard to get right , need to use a media box with it (Ive got seven devices pluged into the Nec and it would be a real pain using a media box) and last but not least the video scaler on the Pioneer isnt real flash.

The Nec suffers none of these.

The Nec is todate the most advanced Plasma on the market. If its still sitting in my lounge room its got one up on everthing else I,ve returned!

Angelo

I would be interested in a group buy.  Does someone want to do some negotiations with someone reputable and see what price we can get ?

Rob.

Guys i got mine through eHome in Melb and am very impressed with the service and price.

They will ship all over Australia have a chat to Geoff out there and see what you can do

I would be interested in a group buy.  Does someone want to do some negotiations with someone reputable and see what price we can get ?

Rob.

Guys i got mine through eHome in Melb and am very impressed with the service and price.

They will ship all over Australia have a chat to Geoff out there and see what you can do

Rob.

Oops! my first post was an inauspicious start forme on this forum!!

My question is to ask those in adelaide where I could go to see these units in operation. I went to sound vision studio on greenhill road but theirs was poorly setup and they would not demo dvd for me.

I would like to buy either the 42 or the 50 if I can see one that I am happy with.

The one I saw did not compare well with the fujitsu p50 across the room - jerky motion and grey blacks although colour was great and no noise in image.

I have a room where I will be sitting 3.5 metres back and I have to say I am keen to go with the NEC as I want dvi or hdmi and these units seem to take all resolutions whereas the pannys and others have limited compatability.

All of Groover and Glenncol's glowing reports have me intrigued!!

On the noisy fan side of it, mine is alot louder than the showroom model and Ive gotten so used to it I dont hear it anymore.

The Pioneer is a very good model but where on earth are you going to get it for the same price as the NEC.

IMHO the other thing is the Pioneer really is yesterdays hero, it suffers from motion jidders,solarisation,dancing pixels upclose,colour is hard to get right , need to use a media box with it (Ive got seven devices pluged into the Nec and it would be a real pain using a media box) and last but not least the video scaler on the Pioneer isnt real flash.

The Nec suffers none of these.

The Nec is todate the most advanced Plasma on the market. If its still sitting in my lounge room its got one up on everthing else I,ve returned!

Angelo

I agree with you Angelo I think the NEC picture is quality plus as well has having DVI. Regarding the fan noise it is barely noticeable but it is there and I am arranging for someone from NEC to come and check it out. I didn't hear any noise at NEC show room nor at Harvey Normans but then I was concentrating on the picture and not anything else.

Take no notice of so called experts, look for yourself.

Big AL

The one I saw did not compare well with the fujitsu p50 across the room - jerky motion and grey blacks although colour was great and no noise in image.

See my post here about the pitfalls of in-store demos! (To add to that story ... Just 30 minutes ago I passed two identical Sanyo analogue sets in a wall of about 40 TVs of varying PQs. One looked OK and the other was crap! If they had been two different brands, or two different models, it would be natural to assume that the one with the better PQ was the better unit! NOT!!!!!!!).

See my post here about how I normally audition expensive equipment.

I have a room where I will be sitting 3.5 metres back and I have to say I am keen to go with the NEC as I want dvi or hdmi and these units seem to take all resolutions whereas the pannys and others have limited compatability.

... and I hope to be able to add my glowing report tomorrow!

Yep. It's been done! Sent the money to Geoff at E-home in Melbourne about an hour ago - and he tells me to expect a big box at my door (in Brisbane) tomorrow!! THAT's service!!

I won't count any ducklings before they have hatched ... but I am excited!!

Ian

I have the 42" and the fan is no more or less noisy then the 50" dude dont worry about it its hardley noticable seriously

See my post here about the pitfalls of in-store demos! (To add to that story ... Just 30 minutes ago I passed two identical Sanyo analogue sets in a wall of about 40 TVs of varying PQs. One looked OK and the other was crap! If they had been two different brands, or two different models, it would be natural to assume that the one with the better PQ was the better unit! NOT!!!!!!!).

See my post here about how I normally audition expensive equipment.

... and I hope to be able to add my glowing report tomorrow!

Yep. It's been done! Sent the money to Geoff at E-home in Melbourne about an hour ago - and he tells me to expect a big box at my door (in Brisbane) tomorrow!! THAT's service!!

I won't count any ducklings before they have hatched ... but I am excited!!

Ian

Good news Ian

I have the 42" and the fan is no more or less noisy then the 50" dude dont worry about it its hardley noticable seriously

Thanks for the responses re viewing condition and setups.

My question was aimed at finding a facility in adelaide where I can view either the 42 or the 50 using my material and where I can turn out the lights.

I have been looking for a long time and know the pitfalls of store setups and would welcome suggestions to help me allay my fears.

In my experience nothing comes close to a panny based screen in a darkened room. Glencoll, did you compare them in the dark?

I don't want the best blacks necessarily but dont like glowing grey blacks!

If someone wants to invite me over I will bring the beers!

Dan.

Thanks for the responses re viewing condition and setups.

My question was aimed at finding a facility in adelaide where I can view either the 42 or the 50 using my material and where I can turn out the lights.

I have been looking for a long time and know the pitfalls of store setups and would welcome suggestions to help me allay my fears.

In my experience nothing comes close to a panny based screen in a darkened room. Glencoll, did you compare them in the dark?

I don't want the best blacks necessarily but dont like glowing grey blacks!

If someone wants to invite me over I will bring the beers!

Dan.

No not in the dark dude but eHome is set up a crap load nicer than others stores and have the ability to turn off lighting giving a more home like feel this is what won me over.

won't count any ducklings before they have hatched ... but I am excited!!

Well done Ian enjoy your new toy :P a new Denon 3910 dvd player will be the cream on the cake :blink:

cheers laurie

Thanks Glencol,

I am sure I will be happy once I too have seen in person one that I can tweak.

I too have a denon dvd2800 and am thinking about upgrading to a 3910 at some stage.

The only nagging doubts that have been raised by the US avs forum posters are regarding greyish blacks (which I too saw but I couldn't play with the set) and image persistance, apparently temporary image retention which dies down after a period.

groover mentioned turning off the deep blacks and reducing contrast; is there a deep black setting or did he mean something else?

Lastly does anybody know how I could sell my as new krix Euphonix/kdxm/c speakers. My wife has won the invisible speakers in the living room argument and now they must go :blink: Is there a place to advertise these?

Dan.

gee I ask a lot of questions on my first day!

I have to back off on the espresso!!

I really appreciate the input though as I am finally ready to order and this NEC late addition to the shortlist has thrown me into a quandry :blink:

won't count any ducklings before they have hatched ... but I am excited!!

Well done Ian enjoy your new toy :P a new Denon 3910 dvd player will be the cream on the cake :blink:

cheers laurie

... if only I had a job, Laurie!!!!!

Yeah ... the new screen is going to show up the rest of the gear - but I'll work slowly through it all.

The thing I'm most looking forward to is seeing the Footy via RGBHV instead of s-video (occasionally YUV, but the LG 76cm looks almost as good with analogue FTA!) and seeing the Toppy via Scart-RGB instead of s-video (YUV is unwatchable unless I stuff up the colour balance for everything else!).

Anyway, you'll all have a rest from my tirades for a few days while I play with all the knobs, settings and cabling!!

Cheers,

Ian

gee I ask a lot of questions on my first day!

I have to back off on the espresso!!

I really appreciate the input though as I am finally ready to order and this NEC late addition to the shortlist has thrown me into a quandry :blink:

Ask as many questions as you like! No-one minds. We all learn from every question and every answer.

Anyway, you still have to post thousands more to catch up with the leaders. :P ... and hundreds more just to catch up with me. :P

RE: where to see on in operation in Adelaide. I did see the 50 inch at Sound & Vision studio & it was impressive. There is also a 50 inch hooked up via an LG DVI at HN Noarlunga.