NEW NEC HD Plasma

You say the NEC kicked the other plasmas butt, but was not as good as the Pana in contrast ratio, however by itself would you say the black levels are still excellent?

How about video motion, any film artefacts/smearing etc? I am aware the fuji is the best in this department in regards to fast action/movement.

Specs say 4096 gray levels and some 6 billion colours, does anyone know is this is 12 bit processing?

Sorry for so many questions, trying to decide between new NEC HD and the fuji VHA30 (SD).

Cheers.

NEC colours are 68 Billion not 6

Angelo answered the rest right on the head

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you Angelo the NEC 50" is great. I have had mine now for over 2 weeks and I can't complain about the picture quality. I changed my contrast setting to 36 of maximum 72 keeping it to 50% as NEC suggests and can't see any difference, but should help prolong the life. All other settings I have left as the are on default.

May be getting someone to have a look at the fan noise to see if it is a bit loud as can be heard during quiet scenes.

Big AL

Hey guys, i got put on to this forum during my buying a plasm campaign and it's been a great source of information. I was originally intending on getting the Hitachi 42" 5000MA but after reading a few threads became a bit reluctant and i'm now very keen on the new NEC 42" HD- this is my problem/story though.

WTF is with the lack of information for this TV, i can't even find it on the NEC aust website. So i went to a few elctronics places today, HN and Bing Lee amongst them and i was thoroughly confused by their responses when i asked about the new NEC XR3W plasma. They said it was an old model and don't stock it anymore!! Store after store crapped on that the "5" series were the latest and they don't stock this model. What's going on? I finally found it in a HomeZone store and spoke to a guy quizzing him on it- he said they'd had it for numerous months????? and it was 'ok' but the Hitachi was much better- i explained my concern about it's lack of grey etc and number of colours in general and at the ALIS panel and it's strange ratio. He had little to say except that it had won numerous awards and was the 'better' of the two displays.

Anywho i want to be positive i have the right panel, it was labelled XR3W on the barcode and was in silver, the 50 inch sat next to it. It was 1024 x 768. But why is there so much confusion? If this is these guys job then they should be fired for gross incompetency as i would expect i would be if i was so devoid of knowledge in my field. Anyway i can get the panel with a HD set top box for 6699 even though he thinks i'm making a mistake going for it over the hitachi.

And just to clarify Glencol your first post stated, "The New NEC HD Plasma (42 XR4W) has been releast here in Oz" but then you spoke about the XR3W. I just want to be sure i get the code right as these guys in the store have no idea. Thanks in advance guys

And just to clarify Glencol your first post stated, "The New NEC HD Plasma (42 XR4W) has been releast here in Oz" but then you spoke about the XR3W. I just want to be sure i get the code right as these guys in the store have no idea. Thanks in advance guys

That was my misstake the 50" is the XR4W the 42" is the XR3W fir the Silver models and 42XM3 for the Black models

Who ever said that is was an old model either was not offered the model to display or does not know WTF he talking about.

Sorry Hitachi owners but the other person who siad the Hitachi was better needs glasses or a smack in the head and also need a bucket under his chin to catch the crap spilling out (Had it for months what a load)

Cedia dont give out awards for nothing and usually i dont pay much attention to then but this is one fine plasma and trust me no solarisation AT ALL.......

I have auditioned every avialble HD plasma on the market and this is where the heart is.

I had made one hugh mistake witht he Marantz and so i was determined not to make it again

Quote : I know it's a bit late but where can you get the NEC for $5800 :blink:

I might seriously consider it at that price!!

Try this link - good for bargaining others down if you are outside sydney

Currently 42 Inch $5690 50 Inch $8200

That is on par with the Cosmeticus Ebay seller!

AV action prices

I know nothing of the store (although I have noted them previously when searching for prices) - but at this price, I may well be paying them a visit.

Quote : I know it's a bit late but where can you get the NEC for $5800 :blink:

I might seriously consider it at that price!!

Try this link - good for bargaining others down if you are outside sydney

AV action prices

I know nothing of the store - but at this price, I may well be paying them a visit.

I assume you are in NSW

Thanks for the clarification and quick response glencol, it's much appreciated- the whole plasma buying experience has been really intimidating to be honest because every store spouts forth absolute crap and their knowledge is appalling- It would be nice if there was some 'quality control' in some of these stores hiring policy.

Yeah i saw that price Scalpel but my quote of $6699 is 12months interest free (with HD STB) and i'm not 'liquid' enough currently to be able to whack it down in one hit.

NEC XR3W here i come baby!!!!!!

Thanks for the clarification and quick response glencol, it's much appreciated- the whole plasma buying experience has been really intimidating to be honest because every store spouts forth absolute crap and their knowledge is appalling- It would be nice if there was some 'quality control' in some of these stores hiring policy.

Yeah i saw that price Scalpel but my quote of $6699 is 12months interest free (with HD STB) and i'm not 'liquid' enough currently to be able to whack it down in one hit.

You can get all details of the NEC PX-50XR4W here and the latest 42" model and ask for price. http://www.qsphere.com.au/50xr4w.html

The 50XM4W is the black model. AV Actions prices are reasonable but not the best and they charge extra for stand/wall bracket.

BIg AL

Wonder if the hitachi 55" plasma have a fan. Both the hitachi 42" and 37" do not have fans.

edit...the fans are probably a good thing where panel is wall mounted or located where there is little airflow or where used in hotter ambient temperatures.

The demo 55inch unit I've seen in HN martin place is on a table, so you can have a good look behind the unit, I had a good look and couldn't find any fans or hear any so like the other hitachi units it appears to be fanless. I think hitachi can do fanless because they usually move a lot of the electronics into seperate media boxes to help reduce heat problems inside the panel.

You can get all details of the NEC PX-50XR4W here and the latest 42" model and ask for price. http://www.qsphere.com.au/50xr4w.html

The 50XM4W is the black model. AV Actions prices are reasonable but not the best and they charge extra for stand/wall bracket.

BIg AL

that website has this model number for the 42" PX-42XM2. Bloody hell!!!! I'm over all these different codes, is this the XR3W just with a different code or an entirely different panel? If so why don't they have the XR3W?

BIg AL

that website has this model number for the 42" PX-42XM2. Bloody hell!!!! I'm over all these different codes, is this the XR3W just with a different code or an entirely different panel? If so why don't they have the XR3W?

The MX3 is the new black model

For anyone in or near Sydney looking at the 42 or 50 inch screens from NEC, My recommendation would second that of BigAl.

Whilst I wont give the exact price, the price on the 50 inch was a quantam leap better than other on-line retailers I contacted (needless to say, the shopfront stores are even more pricey), and included the stand / mount. :blink:. It is considerably better than "cosmeticus"'s offer on Ebay.

Thanks again for the reccomendation. Needless to say, I have no particular affiliation with any retailer.

Now I just have to convince my wife that this is a good "investment" - maybe the old CRT's intermittent fault will just have to become permanent.

Quote : You can get all details of the NEC PX-50XR4W here and the latest 42" model and ask for price. http://www.qsphere.com.au/50xr4w.html BIg AL"

BTW - anyone know anything about the NHD-1000 NEC HD STB? (I will post this in the STB forum).

J.

For anyone in or near Sydney looking at the 42 or 50 inch screens from NEC, My recommendation would second that of BigAl.

Whilst I wont give the exact price, the price on the 50 inch was a quantam leap better than other on-line retailers I contacted (needless to say, the shopfront stores are even more pricey), and included the stand / mount.  :blink:. It is considerably better than "cosmeticus"'s offer on Ebay.

Thanks again for the reccomendation. Needless to say, I have no particular affiliation with any retailer.

Now I just have to convince my wife that this is a good "investment" - maybe the old CRT's intermittent fault will just have to become permanent.

Quote : You can get all details of the NEC PX-50XR4W here and the latest 42" model and ask for price. http://www.qsphere.com.au/50xr4w.html BIg AL"

BTW - anyone know anything about the NHD-1000 NEC HD STB? (I will post this in the STB forum).

J.

Scapel, I bought mine from gsphere and can recommend, very professional. I have no affiliations with them. Regarding the NEC NHD-1000 HD STB I will reply in STB Forum.

Big AL