Sign in to follow this  
glenncol

NEW NEC HD Plasma

So here we are in Oct '05.

I read the first 11 or 12 pages of this thread, thought 'wow this is a long thread', noticed it was 70+ pages long and then jumped straight here!

I have an opportunity to buy the NEC at a great price (42 or 50) so I have a question for all you die hard NEC affectionados - after a year or so on the market, how well does it stack up against the current competition?

After much reading and much auditioning I believe the NEC will be just fine for me but I guess I want to make sure I havent missed the latest and greatest of something (not too worried about any new models at the end of the year either).

Anyone care to make me feel better about parting with my hard earned cash?

Also got to admit, although I went into this prepared for a 50", the price on the 42" high definition is pretty hard to pass up...

You sound like your set to go. But if you want a more balanced view, read the many other threads about CURRENT models. Some of these models may not be too much more than the price you can get.

I Ordered my NEC 42" SD (42VM5W) Charcol Plasma on saturday, the PQ was outstanding - infact I thought it was as good as the much more expensive Fuji!

I was very pleased to discover that the DVI-D Port is HDCP compliant too. :blink:

Mine's still going nicely almost 1 year on (2633 hours racked up). The image-retention behaviour has disappeared and it looks so much better than other plasmas I see in the shops. The 50/60Hz issue isn't noticeable to me. Make sure you check for dead pixels in the first week and be sure to adjust the picture settings to suit.

PS - I would like another DVI or HDMI on it though :blink:

would not recomend current gen nec plasma's because i am on my 3rd one right now and i bought the original 9 mnths ago. When the first one broke i thought just got a bad one but then the 2nd one went to a couple of days ago now i'm waiting on a 3rd hopefully this one wont brake

Hi ejm. What model number NEC have you bought?

the original was 42VM5W but now they gave me a 42" hd for no extra

the original was 42VM5W but now they gave me a 42" hd for no extra

Hey at least NEC have an in-home replacement warranty! can't say that about too many other brands. :blink:

:blink:

I read the first 11 or 12 pages of this thread, thought 'wow this is a long thread', noticed it was 70+ pages long and then jumped straight here!

I have an opportunity to buy the NEC at a great price (42 or 50) so I have a question for all you die hard NEC affectionados - after a year or so on the market, how well does it stack up against the current competition?

After much reading and much auditioning I believe the NEC will be just fine for me but I guess I want to make sure I havent missed the latest and greatest of something (not too worried about any new models at the end of the year either).

Also got to admit, although I went into this prepared for a 50", the price on the 42" high definition is pretty hard to pass up...

If you don't mind me asking, what is a "great price"?

I've had my 42xm3w fora couple of months now and I still love it. Had a dead pixel on the first display, but it's since been replaced and this one is pixel perfect. I only have a couple of hundred hours on it and image retention is an issue, but as Delbz says it should go away after a while. Judder is not an issues for me either. You've got to know to look for it and even then you would be anal retententive to notice. And yes, most people on these forums are anal retentive :P

Depending on the price you can get, it might be worth checking out some of the current offerings like the Panasonic, or even wait for the new new NEC. If money isn't a problem, take a look at the Fujis.

Happy hunting....

Decided against waiting for the new NEC - have the chance now and its going to get superseded sooner or later anyway.

Short listed the NEC, Pioneer and Hitachi. Fujitsu is the only one that made me think twice...

Too late now anyway! :blink:

Commercial rates. Good enough for me to be coy!

Decided against waiting for the new NEC - have the chance now and its going to get superseded sooner or later anyway.

Short listed the NEC, Pioneer and Hitachi.  Fujitsu is the only one that made me think twice...

Too late now anyway!  :blink:

Commercial rates.  Good enough for me to be coy!

Good work....Hope you enjoy !!!

Hey Delbz when you say "image-retention" issue do you mean basically temporary burn in?

Like if you have had a static image on the panel for a while then you switch it over to another channel and it takes a little while to wash out the previous image?

And another thing i have noticed with mine is like this venetion blind problem. for instance if you have a bright line on a dark object on like the left side of the screen then that bright line will continue horizontally (but it is faint - still noticeable though). Anyone else see this?

Matt E

correct - Image retention = phosphor "burn-in" that disappears after a few minutes. As I said it's no longer evident except when viewing a 2.35:1 (21:9) DVD for a few hours.

I have not noticed a venetian blind effect. Are you feeding it progressive scan from your DVD player?

correct - Image retention = phosphor "burn-in" that disappears after a few minutes. As I said it's no longer evident except when viewing a 2.35:1 (21:9) DVD for a few hours.

I have not noticed a venetian blind effect. Are you feeding it  progressive scan from your DVD player?

Its not a source issue - definately not an interlacing problem.

The problem can be seen best when the show "Deal or No Deal" (channel 7 5:30), when they put up all the dollar amounts on either side of the screen, the borders around the dollar amounts then cause these faint lines to appear accross the screen.

I suppose i will have to get a photo instead.

Matt E

Hey guys,

I'm about to buy the 50R4W within the next few days! Just want to make sure I'm getting a good deal on what I've been quoted... $5335 with speakers and stand... what do you guys reckon? I couldn't find a current thread with prices on the NEC plasmas, so thought I might ask here.

Any help would be great! :blink:

Regards,

Chris

Hey guys,

I'm about to buy the 50R4W within the next few days! Just want to make sure I'm getting a good deal on what I've been quoted... $5335 with speakers and stand... what do you guys reckon? I couldn't find a current thread with prices on the NEC plasmas, so thought I might ask here.

Any help would be great!  :blink:

Regards,

Chris

The price looks good, but no HDMI, only DVI-D, but that is only a minor concideration. :P

Hey guys,

Any help would be great!  :blink:

Regards,

Chris

Just be aware that there are suggestions elsewhere on the forums that NEC has just begun to drop its price on their older generation panels (link). You would want to check up about this, because the new NEC panels are due in approx 1-2 months.

That price doesn't seem enourmously cheap next to the current generation Panasonic screens which have better blacks, but at least you get a 3 year warranty (can buy a 5 year on the panasonic). Also might want to see how much the Fujitsu 50" panels are - they too seem to have just had a significant price drop.

J.

I have sent you a PM.

Would like to have a look at the new NEC panels to compare with Fuji, Pana & Pio .... on the website the new NEC looks very, ver nice.... let's hope the new tabletop stand is better looking :blink:

The price looks good, but no HDMI, only DVI-D, but that is only a minor concideration. :blink:

Have also been looking at nec 50 in

Read with interest the post from 12 months ago where guys were raving about it and how cheap it was <$8000> then ,now we are saying $5300 is not that cheap!!!

Interested in where price of $5350 was from quoted $5750 today in melb <no squeeze applied>

Any word on reliability of nec ?

Cant consider panasonic; too tall for space

Always found pioneer a bit too forward in its presentaion prefer softer picture of fujitsu/nec

How is nec on poorer quality input ie foxtel digital ?

Any details what improvements will be on new nec ?

Any projected price for new 50 in hd nec ?

Where was new nec on website ?

Have also been looking at nec 50 in

Read with interest the post from 12 months ago where guys were raving about it and how cheap it was <$8000> then ,now we are saying $5300 is not that cheap!!!

Interested in where price of $5350 was from quoted $5750 today in melb <no squeeze applied>

Any word on reliability of nec ?

Cant consider panasonic; too tall for space

Always found pioneer a bit too forward in its presentaion prefer softer picture of fujitsu/nec

How is nec on poorer quality input ie foxtel digital ?

Any details what improvements will be on new nec ?

Any projected price for new 50 in hd nec ?

Where was new nec on website ?

Have a read of (this) thread on the Soon to be released NEC - the links are in my post (#3)

J

I can't understand why people don't take the time to read a 74 page thread.... Ha Ha :blink:

I saw the nec px-50xr4w in harvey norman today for $4000. Is this a good deal? It is the older model i presume.

Yep, the new model is 50XR5W and forum feedback suggests if you can pick it up for 4500 it is a good buy.

It also comes with 3 yrs warranty.

I am not sure what the diff is with the older model you have seen

I saw the nec px-50xr4w in harvey norman today for $4000. Is this a good deal? It is the older model i presume.

its the old model - the new model is the 50XR5W ....

the older model can have pronounced judder... at least some people can see it .... the image is pretty good, with the blacks and contrast ratio not up to spec as the current range.

Street prices for the new one are about $1,300 more then the price for the older model....

I'm not sure the old model was HDCP enabled or not on the HDMI port... better check this before you buy ... and I don't believe it had a HDMI port either....