Sign in to follow this  
glenncol

NEW NEC HD Plasma

I have a 50" XM4...

and i experience exactly the same problem and also have a PC hooked up to the plasma via DVI.

the horizontal motion is jumpy - definitely not smooth. What is it like with a Set Top Box guys?

but when i play a dvd via the same PC it seems to be fine - is yours the same?

what app are you using for HTPC? or are you just using Dvico's stuff?

Matt E

I'm using MCE and DVICO, use MCE mostly - but I'm sure I've seen it there too.

As far as option in the Server Menu go - I only have 60Hz and AUTO. I have set the refresh on the card so that it's 1024x768 @ 60Hz but no real change. I will try a DVD shortly - beginning to thing it's the tuner maybe DVICO drivers?

All you need to do is set the panel to 'auto' in the Service Menu then set your video card to output at 50Hz. The judder is caused by viewing 50Hz material with a 60Hz refresh on the panel (which is the default refresh shipped from the factory to Australia).

As a newcomer to the NEC Club I have been busy reading the posts on this thread and I have found I get the Screen Ticker Judder or Stutter in either 50hz or 60hz. in fact you would not know the difference. Don't get it on the old CRT telly.

I have a 50XR4 and Homecast HT5000 stb connected with DVI or sometimes with DSub cables.

I also get solarisation on any input but is easily cured by changing Contrast or brightness controls.

I must say though that solarisation seems to be more of a 'incoming signal artefact' with dtv as sometimes it shows up and other times the picture is perfect.

The PQ on analouge TV signals is quite impressive which is handy with the F1 GP on this weekend.

Does anybody know what all the other adjustable settings in the Service Menu do?

I haven't been able to get it to boil the kettle yet but the fans are silent wonder if they are working.

MWD

As a newcomer to the NEC Club I have been busy reading the posts on this thread and I have found I get the Screen Ticker Judder or Stutter in either 50hz or 60hz. in fact you would not know the difference. Don't get it on the old CRT telly.

I have a 50XR4 and Homecast HT5000 stb  connected with DVI or sometimes with DSub cables.

I also get solarisation on any input but is easily cured by changing Contrast or brightness controls.

I must say though that solarisation seems to be more of a 'incoming signal artefact' with dtv as sometimes it shows up and other times the picture is perfect.

The PQ on analouge TV signals is quite impressive which is handy with the F1 GP on this weekend.

Does anybody know what all the other adjustable settings in the Service Menu do? 

I haven't been able to get it to boil the kettle yet but the  fans are silent wonder if they are working.

MWD

Wrong: Don't get the judder at 50 Hz . Must be just the eyes affected by liquid contained in brown bottles

I've just noticed that I have clocked up 910 hours on the NEC (in 4 months). That's around 7.5 hours usage per day! Wow - I thought, that's going to wear it out quickly.

However, if the effective life of this display is 60,000 hours, then it's currently 1.5% used and will be 100% used in 21 years at this rate.

Considering I'll probably buy a better TV in 5 years, it should be around 25% of its useful age by then. It will be interesting to see how much it will sell for in 5 years - my guess is around $900 - which should mean keeping it and relegating to the rumpus room.

I've just noticed that I have clocked up 910 hours on the NEC (in 4 months). That's around 7.5 hours usage per day! Wow - I thought, that's going to wear it out quickly.

However, if the effective life of this display is 60,000 hours, then it's currently 1.5% used and will be 100% used in 21 years at this rate.

Considering I'll probably buy a better TV in 5 years, it should be around 25% of its useful age by then. It will be interesting to see how much it will sell for in 5 years - my guess is around $900 - which should mean keeping it and relegating to the rumpus room.

Yep same goes here !

I'm up to 788Hrs.

Sway

I set mine up in early January, and have clocked 500 hrs (ie. 250 hrs/mth), so am looking at 20 years life span (you've gotta be joking, it'll be relegated to the toilet well before then! Now, how am I going to fit a 50" in there ......)

I just have to say that NEC after sales service is fantastic.  I had a problem with my panel (pixel problem) on Monday.

NEC Newcastle picked up the panel on Tuesday and just dropped off a brand new panel just then and set it all up.  I was impressed. Good work guys.

Rob.

That's great to hear ... My panel has dead pixel, but the NEC Service in Sydney kept saying 'it's within specification to have a few dead pixels' ... Anyway the retailer is now talking to NEC Sales rep and see what they have to say ...

ps.what sort of pixel problem did you have, dead pixel ? if so how many ?

What is the standard for pixels being out before they will give you a replacement unit? Is it 5% or something crazy like that, or will they do it for just one or two?

Unless your retailer will go to bat for you its 10 the same as Pioneer

Just to let you know that NEC Services has just rung and said that they will be over soon to replace my set (dead/lazy pixel) with a brand new one today :blink:

Credits must go to The Good Guys manager George ... he took it up with NEC Sales team and came thru for me. Thanks also to NEC for excellent after sale service.

Hmm, DVI-A is very rare aparently. I think you guys might mean DVI-I wich carries both analogue and digital signals.

hehehe dvi-A is where you pull all the pins out of your dvi plug and just leave the four analog ones ! - hehehe DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME !

hehe...and how does one remove those four pins should they need to come off? hehe :blink:

I just have to say that NEC after sales service is fantastic.  I had a problem with my panel (pixel problem) on Monday.

NEC Newcastle picked up the panel on Tuesday and just dropped off a brand new panel just then and set it all up.  I was impressed. Good work guys.

Rob.

That's great to hear ... My panel has dead pixel, but the NEC Service in Sydney kept saying 'it's within specification to have a few dead pixels' ... Anyway the retailer is now talking to NEC Sales rep and see what they have to say ...

ps.what sort of pixel problem did you have, dead pixel ? if so how many ?

What is the standard for pixels being out before they will give you a replacement unit? Is it 5% or something crazy like that, or will they do it for just one or two?

Unless your retailer will go to bat for you its 10 the same as Pioneer

Just to let you know that NEC Services has just rung and said that they will be over soon to replace my set (dead/lazy pixel) with a brand new one today :blink:

Credits must go to The Good Guys manager George ... he took it up with NEC Sales team and came thru for me. Thanks also to NEC for excellent after sale service.

Must admit that Nec service does get a 8/10 from me was well.

If anyone is in the market for a almost brand new NEC XM3W please PM me

you selling yours glen ?

Hey all

The New NEC HD Plasma (42 XR4W) has been releast here in Oz

http://www.necvisualsystems.com/applicatio...?Product_id=454

I think this may be the go for me

Will be Viewing it late next week at E-Home in Carnegie

From what I can see it's not even 720p pixel rate. I'll only look at full 1920x1080 displays or I'm waisting my time with ED type quality.

you selling yours glen ?

Looking at the possibilities

Any hints at whats catching your eye now? :blink:

Hey dude

Yeah looking around at different alternatives at the moment so really sure which way i am going need to check out a couple more things

you selling yours glen ?

Hey dude

Yeah looking around at different alternatives at the moment so really sure which way i am going need to check out a couple more things

Glenn, there is a link to a review on the link you put on your earlier post, but it opens up to an NEC projector, not the XR4.

And what is the difference between it and the XR3, as I can't notice anything that jumps out?

you selling yours glen ?

Hey dude

Glenn, there is a link to a review on the link you put on your earlier post, but it opens up to an NEC projector, not the XR4.

And what is the difference between it and the XR3, as I can't notice anything that jumps out?

Hey dude

Cant seem ot find the link or my post for that fact

But the XR3 and XM3 are the 42" panels and the XR4 and XM4 are the 50" panels

The difference between the XM3 and XR3 is as follows

XM3 = Black

XR3=Silver

There is a different in the was the menu system is set out and different remotes

I realise you want people to PM you Glen, at this stage do you have any takers?

Depending on the price, I will talk to my financier...

got a couple of bites but not confirmed as yet so who ever is in the market let us know

The Story is that this unit only has around the 100 hour mark now so it has not even been run in

And 100% 0 dead pixels

OK guys a little off topic (this thread seems to do that very easily) anyway...

I have also asked this question in another thread - but i thought i should try here seeing that everyone here has the display...

I have the 50inch panel and have a HTPC connected to it... The problem is that my Digital TV looks jumpy/choppy on the screen (like when you watch sport or "Today" with the news scrolling at the bottom - none of it looks smooth).

So i believe it maybe a refresh rate problem - as in Australian TV is broadcast at 50Hz, but the panel is trying to display it at 60Hz...

I am outputting my HTPC to the NEC plasma via DVI.

HTPC set to display at 1360x768 pixels at 60Hz - and the Plasma displays this at its native resoution (which is 1365x768, it just leaves 5 pixels at the sides blank).

Now the problem i have is that the plasma panel will not accept 50Hz at that resolution - well not what i have tried anyway...

and i am using MCE 2005...

any suggestions???

Matt E

OK guys a little off topic (this thread seems to do that very easily) anyway...

I have also asked this question in another thread - but i thought i should try here seeing that everyone here has the display...

I have the 50inch panel and have a HTPC connected to it... The problem is that my Digital TV looks jumpy/choppy on the screen (like when you watch sport or "Today" with the news scrolling at the bottom - none of it looks smooth).

So i believe it maybe a refresh rate problem - as in Australian TV is broadcast at 50Hz, but the panel is trying to display it at 60Hz...

I am outputting my HTPC to the NEC plasma via DVI.

HTPC set to display at 1360x768 pixels at 60Hz - and the Plasma displays this at its native resoution (which is 1365x768, it just leaves 5 pixels at the sides blank).

Now the problem i have is that the plasma panel will not accept 50Hz at that resolution - well not what i have tried anyway...

and i am using MCE 2005...

any suggestions???

Matt E

See my reply from a few minutes ago in your "DVICO HDTV USB - Looks Choppy!" thread.

got a couple of bites but not confirmed as yet so who ever is in the market let us know

The Story is that this unit only has around the 100 hour mark now so it has not even been run in

And 100% 0 dead pixels

Hey glenncol

Why dont you ask your great mate Geoff at eHome to do something for you seems this unit is almost brand or is he one of these average so longs as the sales flood in he is all happy :blink: