NEW NEC HD Plasma

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this was confirmed by TEAC suport on the forum. You just need a dvi-d cable with the TEAC. They only put in a dvi-i so you can plug it into lcd monitors and the like that sometimes come with a dvi-i cable.

I got my dvi-d cable from jaycar, heres a link.

Many thanks, Al ... just arrived back from Jaycar with that good quality DVI-I DualLink cable you suggested ($29.95).

Kewl! TEAC DVB800 piccy looks great!!!

Hey Glen,

Just thought I would let you know before the shops close - :P - the Toppy kicks butt via RGBS onto the NEC BNCs!! - and kicks the Footy (XGA) right out of the park!

In fact, until the NineHD Loop comes on this arvo (which will allow me to set colours properly), it actually has better colour than the TEAC DVB800 via DVI!!! (The Teac still wins for clarity though).

First bit of good news I've had in days. :blink:

Ian

this was confirmed by TEAC suport on the forum. You just need a dvi-d cable with the TEAC. They only put in a dvi-i so you can plug it into lcd monitors and the like that sometimes come with a dvi-i cable.

I got my dvi-d cable from jaycar, heres a link.

Many thanks, Al ... just arrived back from Jaycar with that good quality DVI-I DualLink cable you suggested ($29.95).

Kewl! TEAC DVB800 piccy looks great!!!

:blink: Angelo

How do these NEC plasmas compare with the Panasonic Viera 42" ???

The NEC kicks the Viera into oblivion for picture quality! The picture from the NEC is as good as anything I've ever seen - at up to 3 times the price!

But ... there's always a 'but' with me! ... it falls down in the cosmetics! The panel alone is very nice (slim dark grey bezel - designed for multi-panel setups) but: fugly stand, inconvenient cabling if you plan to wall mount with decent quality interconnects from up to 7 different video sources, expensive speaker option ($1k rrp), slightly clumsy remote functions, stacks of fine tuning options to wade through (not for the faint-hearted).

It's a bit like comparing a Porsche with a Toyota! If you want the best picture you've ever seen - with NO digital artifacts whatsoever - then go for the NEC; if you want something that's very easy to use and looks pretty when it's turned off, then go for the Viera. (Have a look at the Viera next to a Toshiba or Sony 76/86cm CRT at HN and you will see how bad the Viera's video processing is).

2i cents,

Ian

Specs Note: The NEC panel is only 1024x768 pixels, but looks [to me] just as detailed as a 1366x1024 Fujitsu (just imagine what that glass would look like with NEC's electronics driving it!). NEC's electronics give 4096 'colour gradations' giving a total of about 68 billion colours (the Viera is just 1024 steps = 1 billion colours)!

Hey Glen,

Just thought I would let you know before the shops close -  :P - the Toppy kicks butt via RGBS onto the NEC BNCs!! - and kicks the Footy (XGA) right out of the park!

In fact, until the NineHD Loop comes on this arvo (which will allow me to set colours properly), it actually has better colour than the TEAC DVB800 via DVI!!! (The Teac still wins for clarity though).

First bit of good news I've had in days. :blink:

Ian

Hey cool dude

I am on the way out ot buy the toppy

I have had a chat to Geoff about the differnces and will give you the run down when i get back

Well, just got back from Megamart....and decided to swap the Philips for the Viera. They don't stock NEC so I was at a loss as to what to do. I compared the Viera to a fujitsu they had in there and didn't notice any difference. I get the feeling that there aren't too many Viera followers here?

Well, just got back from Megamart....and decided to swap the Philips for the Viera. They don't stock NEC so I was at a loss as to what to do. I compared the Viera to a fujitsu they had in there and didn't notice any difference. I get the feeling that there aren't too many Viera followers here?

How long did you have the Philips for?

With regards to the difference between the 50XR4 and 50XM4.

The only online info I can find is about the US models, which may not be appropriate to the "w" australian models. However, 50XM4 and 50XR4 US models are identical, excepting frame colour.

Compare US Plasma Models

I too have heard that there is some other difference, but have not been able to find out what it is. It would seem pretty silly though to have such similar models with a very subtle difference, and the online retailers seem to think that the models are equivalent.

With regards the 42XR3 and 42XM3 there DOES seem to be a difference (try the above web site). The price and FCC class (what ever that is) is different!. One is a "commercial" and one is a "home" use plasma.

They seem to otherwise be equal in specs tho - so why the extra cost and alternate classification?

J

I spoke to NEC prior to hunting these plasma's down and was told point blank the only difference between the two was the colour of the front bezel

The remote is different as indidacted in a earlier post

On the XR3 the bottom part of the remote was taken up by a button for each input

The menu is also a little differnt and the all white screen option not on this model

To me this looks more like what a commercial model would be like

Well ... it is an NEC thread?!

You should start a Viera thread when you get it set up so that other users and potential buyers can share experiences. I think the Viera looks fantastic - just didn't like the PQ.

Well its a long story....I first bought the 42PF9945 6 weeks ago. After 3 or so weeks I complained about and had it swapped for the newer version 42PF9946. It seemed ok for around 2 weeks and then started to look very grainy in the black areas. It also has developed a few other glitches were when turned on it has a spasm attack and has rows of colored lines scanning down the screen. I have to turn it off and on again to fix it. Anyway....I had a technician from Philips come out and said he agreed with me...so now It's panasonics turn to impress me. I hope I haven't made another mistake...

...so now It's panasonics turn to impress me. I hope I haven't made another mistake...

I personally don't think you have made a 'mistake' with the Viera. I was very impressed with it when I first saw it (only a couple of weeks ago). It's just that when auditioning you need to do it on your terms, not the retailer's - and this is when you can sort the wheat from the chaff.

I was very disappointed when I first turned on the NEC at home with an s-video input [see my earlier post]. But ... I already knew what I would ultimately get out of it and started setting it up properly. The last link in the chain was earlier today when I finally got a DVI cable for my STB - and I can't see any necessary changes to the default settings from the factory!

Cheers,

Ian

The only online info I can find is about the US models, which may not be appropriate to the "w" australian models. However, 50XM4 and 50XR4 US models are identical, excepting frame colour.

Compare US Plasma Models

I too have heard that there is some other difference, but have not been able to find out what it is. It would seem pretty silly though to have such similar models with a very subtle difference, and the online retailers seem to think that the models are equivalent.

With regards the 42XR3 and 42XM3 there DOES seem to be a difference (try the above web site). The price and FCC class (what ever that is) is different!. One is a "commercial" and one is a "home" use plasma.

They seem to otherwise be equal in specs tho - so why the extra cost and alternate classification?

J

I spoke to NEC prior to hunting these plasma's down and was told point blank the only difference between the two was the colour of the front bezel

On the XR3 the bottom part of the remote was taken up by a button for each input

The menu is also a little differnt and the all white screen option not on this model

So did your pixelation problems go away ?

Compare US Plasma Models

J

I now have a toppy hooked up PQ looks great (Got me stuffed) time will tell

As long as it looks better than the Philips....thats my main concern at the moment. I would hate to have spent an extra $1000 for nothing!

Dude

The NEC is like a BMW 540 Sport compared to the Holden Barina Philips really!!

The extra $ is well worth spent with out a doubt

For myself i have seen all HD plasma's and with in reason $ is not a problem and the NEC is the go all the way.

I had the unfortunate pleasure of seeing another Viera tonight at power House Preston and there is no way in this world i would take one home it was set up with the Teac HD box running via DVI and it really didnt look good at all

Well its a long story....I first bought the 42PF9945 6 weeks ago. After 3 or so weeks I complained about and had it swapped for the newer version 42PF9946. It seemed ok for around 2 weeks and then started to look very grainy in the black areas. It also has developed a few other glitches were when turned on it has a spasm attack and has rows of colored lines scanning down the screen. I have to turn it off and on again to fix it. Anyway....I had a technician from Philips come out and said he agreed with me...so now It's panasonics turn to impress me. I hope I haven't made another mistake...

Do yourself a favour and demand a refund then go out and have a look at the NEC before you settle on a unit

Compare US Plasma Models

J

How have you got the toppy connected to the plasma and did the leads come with the Toppy ? Is it RGB to the Plasma ?

Surely the toppies PQ isnt as good as the Teac.

Glen can you please STOP BUYING THESE TOYS , as it keeps putting ideas into my head.

Angelo :blink:

Compare US Plasma Models

J

How have you got the toppy connected to the plasma and did the leads come with the Toppy ? Is it RGB to the Plasma ?

Surely the toppies PQ isnt as good as the Teac.

Glen can you please STOP BUYING THESE TOYS , as it keeps putting ideas into my head.

Angelo :blink:

Hey Angelo

I cant help it i am addicted i have tried rehab over the years but i tried converting the muli-purpose room in to a Home Threatre and they kicked me out.

At the moment until i can get a some BNC to RCA converters i have it hooked up by composite and DAMMMMNNN it looks bloody good.

As a test i am going down either tuesday or wed to buy the Teac and test side by side

The official feedback that i have got about HD and SD (From a un-named source Highly reliable tho) Is that the HD servie we are being privided is crap and the stations know its crap.

I have been told that the station are pumping more effort in to SD than HD as there is a 2 to1 amount of people using SD as well as analogue.

From what i have heard channel 7 are trying to fight the requirement to provide a HD service at all and concentrate on multi-cast SD only.

Just when you think it's safe .......

I thought I had finally made up my mind on which plasma .. a Hitachi 55" ... then I read these posts !

The NEC 50XR4W sounds like a real option, based on everyones experiances.

Does anyone have any comments or views between the two ?

The viewing distance will be just on 4 meters

Ian, is the NEC stand that bad ? what was the option Geoff at e-home offered ?

What about the speakers, has anyone heard them ? .....was considering getting the speakers and using them both for the centre channel only.

Anyone seen one in Brisbane ?

I thought I had finally made up my mind on which plasma .. a Hitachi 55" ... then I read these posts !

What about the speakers, has anyone heard them ? .....was considering getting the speakers and using them both for the centre channel only.

I for one like the stand that comes with the NEC

Hi Downunder,

We're never safe!! I'm sure Toshiba or Hitachi will release something next week that will pip this week's winner - but I will have no regrets over the next few years that my money was wisely spent this week, which is when I needed something!

Re 50": All my comments on the NEC are for the 42" compared to other 42" units - they cannot and do not apply to comparing a 50" NEC to other ~50" units. However, you can trust Angelo's eyes for objective comments: He has the NEC 50" and, believe me, if he found a better unit he would go for it. :blink:

Re Stand*: I'm getting used to it (I have to anyway!). It's been built for practical usage rather than for a beauty contest, so it is just too 'pedestrian' when you compare it with [the much lighter] LCD stands or something like the Hitachi. I was probably over-reacting anyway (I'm prone to this - ask the guys in the Election forum!).

Re Speakers: I [briefly] thought of the speakers as an elegant solution for the centre channel, too. My centre is currently sitting behind the panel in a kind of 'echo chamber' until I find a total mounting solution for the whole shebang. However, the panel speakers are only rated at about 8 watts, so my 100W/ch Onkyo might give them a bit of grief if things got hectic during an action movie!

Hope this helps,

Ian

* I'll take a pic of the unit in place and post a link sometime today for you.

Edited by ijd

Hi Downunder,

We're never safe!! I'm sure Hitachi will release something next week that will pip this week's winner - but I will have no regrets that my money was wisely spent this week - which is when I needed something!

Re 50": All my comments on the NEC are for the 42" compared to other 42" units - they cannot and do not apply to comparing a 50" NEC to other ~50" units. However, you can trust Angelo's eyes for objective comments: Believe me, if he found a better unit next week he would go for it. :blink:

Re Stand*: I'm getting used to it (I have to anyway!). It's been built for practical usage rather than for a beauty contest, so it is just too 'pedestrian' when you compare it with LCD stands or something like the Hitachi. I was probably over-reacting anyway (I'm prone to this - ask the guys in the Election forum!).

Re Speakers: I [briefly] thought of the speakers as an elegant solution for the centre channel, too. My centre is currently sitting behind the panel in a kind of 'echo chamber' until I find a total mounting solution for the whole shebang. However, the panel speakers are only rated at about 8 watts, so my 100W/ch Onkyo might give them a bit of grief if things got hectic during an action movie!

Hope this helps,

Ian

* I'll take a pic of the unit in place and post a link sometime today for you.

you cant put the the panel on top of the center or is the centre too small or can you put the centre under the panel or above it on a stand/shelf?

edit WAF was one reason we got the hitachi

you cant put the the panel on top of the center or is the centre too small or can you put the centre under the panel or above it on a stand/shelf?

Hey Al,

My lease agreement states that the only thing I can use to attach anything to the plasterboard walls is a certain type of flimsy picture hook!

However, if I renew the lease next month, then I will be ignoring this clause and dynabolting the panel and/or my centre into whatever is behind the plaster!! (I've already had to do this with the rear surrounds else they would be sitting on 5-foot sticks waving in the breeze!).

Cheers,

Ian