"The highest ranking in the industry for contrast ratio of 200:1 for  bright conditions. The brightness is achieved in the pratical imaging range and reduces power consumption."

Err this isn't really something to be happy about, the whole issue about contrast ratios is that black appears black not grey. In bright conditions your eyes will take the grey produced by poorer contrast ratio plasmas and make it appear black. This is why in show rooms the blacks on plasma/lcd's can look good even though they have crappy contrast ratios. It's only in low light conditions where the greater percentage of light your eye recieves is from the panel where the greyish black performance of the panel becomes obvious. Ie the contrast ratio in darkness is the important thing when it comes to image quality. The absolute minimum light reading in nits is even more accurate.

I managed to check out 50 inch NEC, one thing I did note was the black performances wasn't the best. From impressions here I expected it to be better. I guess there is a reason why nec never state any contrast ratio measurements in their specs.

Where did you say you seen the NEC

In a store not set up very well i suspect

Why dont you have a look at one well set up then make a call

Oh by the way were you looking at buying aplasma or tyreing kicking ?

I suspect tyre kicking and trying to discredit other for more knowledge than yourself giving you something to talk about in this thread Am i right?

I have been in the indusrty for 30 years and in all the threads i have read there are not to many people in here that have a clue whats going on myself and a few others in the industry sit back and have a good laugh at some of the crap spead around here.

Not all others if you want advise on audio , video and H\T in general honestly there are only a few that have good knowledge on these topics.

ijd , Groover ,glenncol , ritesh , alebonau

The others seem to argue very well with no foundation to the argument

Just my opinion

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators
"The highest ranking in the industry for contrast ratio of 200:1 for  bright conditions. The brightness is achieved in the pratical imaging range and reduces power consumption."

Err this isn't really something to be happy about, the whole issue about contrast ratios is that black appears black not grey. In bright conditions your eyes will take the grey produced by poorer contrast ratio plasmas and make it appear black. This is why in show rooms the blacks on plasma/lcd's can look good even though they have crappy contrast ratios. It's only in low light conditions where the greater percentage of light your eye recieves is from the panel where the greyish black performance of the panel becomes obvious. Ie the contrast ratio in darkness is the important thing when it comes to image quality. The absolute minimum light reading in nits is even more accurate.

I managed to check out 50 inch NEC, one thing I did note was the black performances wasn't the best. From impressions here I expected it to be better. I guess there is a reason why nec never state any contrast ratio measurements in their specs.

I suspect tyre kicking and trying to discredit other for more knowledge than yourself giving you something to talk about in this thread Am i right?

I have been in the indusrty for 30 years and in all the threads i have read there are not to many people in here that have a clue whats going on myself and a few others in the industry sit back and have a good laugh at some of the crap spead around here.

Not all others if you want advise on audio , video and H\T in general honestly there are only a few that have good knowledge on these topics.

Just my opinion

Giz your back - where you been? welcome back!

a word of advice ...stay away from that component leads thread - theyre still going at it mate!

Just my opinion

a word of advice ...stay away from that component leads thread - theyre still going at it mate!

I tried staying out of it but couldnt damn it

Just my opinion

Hi alebonau

Long time no chat

Yeah i know i have already seen the thread and had to make a comment (couldnt help meself)

Been doing a little traveling overseas so have'nt been around much

Just my opinion

You causing trouble again :blink:

I suspect tyre kicking and trying to discredit other for more knowledge than yourself giving you something to talk about in this thread  Am i right?

er, why don't people like yourselves provide some advice for all of us n00bs and novices then, rather than being condescending? :blink:

it's all very well to sit back and laugh (arrogance in its own way) but why leave hapless selves like myself to flounder in our own shite! :P

PLEASE feel free to answer all the questions throughout the forums accurately and with your knowledge: all industry pro's invited!

:P

• Moderators

I know I couldn't resist especially after reading Ian's post.

OK on contrast ratios. Personally I don't think the manufacturer claimed ones are worth a pinch of piss. Come to think of it I absolutely have no idea what the claimed contrast ratio on my hitachi plasma is and I don't think I really care. I think you should let your eyes decide which plasma has the best picture after all contrast is only just one aspect that makes up a great picture.

but theyre just my thoughts.

Just my opinion

Well there you go... we now know who the resident experts are.

I know I couldn't resist especially after reading Ian's post.

OK on contrast ratios. Personally I don't think the manufacturer claimed ones are worth a pinch of piss. Come to think of it I absolutely have no idea what the claimed contrast ratio on my hitachi plasma is and I don't think I really care. I think you should let your eyes decide which plasma has the best picture after all contrast is only just one aspect that makes up a great picture.

but theyre just my thoughts.

Did i miss Ians post ?

What was that one

Hi Mozmo

The Nec has a Deep black function on it that only works on DVI or XGA, I wonder if it was set up when you saw it because it does make a huge difference.

The 200:1 quoted by me has nothing to do with color contrast..eg like the LG,S have 1000:1, Sony (my X-plasma) has 3000:1 etc.

Its to do with the brightness of the panel in full daylight.

Angelo

Is NEC on the nose with some retailers went to

1.JB Hi-fi [don't carry them]

2.Bing Lee [can order one but..]

3.Megamart[We have others that's a lot better]

4.Myers[what?..are you sure they make one..]

5.Sydney Hi-Fi[Hmmm...I'll ring up..]

all in the Parramatta area of Sydney

sorry guys would you believe I have not seen one yet :blink:

cheers laurie

Have you tried harvey Norman at the Supa Centre at Moore Park near Kensington they had the 50" there a few weeks ago.

Big AL

Hi Mozmo

The Nec has a Deep black function on it that only works on DVI or XGA, I wonder if it was set up when you saw it because it does make a huge difference.

The 200:1 quoted by me has nothing to do with color contrast..eg like the LG,S have 1000:1, Sony (my X-plasma) has 3000:1 etc.

Its to do with the brightness of the panel in full daylight.

Angelo

After earlier post today by Angelo I googled and found this link which I thought described the 200:1 quoted.

http://neasia.nikkeibp.com/wcs/leaf/CID/on...abt/news/323306

LINK doesn't open, so I'll quote it:

NEC Plasma Display Develops PDPs with High Contrast Ratio in Bright Setting

August 3, 2004 (TOKYO) -- NEC Plasma Display Corp of Japan has developed a PDP monitor for business applications, with an improved contrast ratio of 200:1 when the surrounding environment has a brightness of 100 lx.

This monitor aims to improve the display capability in bright locations, such as when using it outside, where PDPs typically have disadvantages.

"According to our survey, this is the top-level ratio in the industry," a company official said.

The PDP comes in two display sizes of 50- and 42-inches, and has an XGA format. The two PDPs will be released from August 25, and the prices will be open.

The company explained that it succeeded in improving the contrast ratio in a bright setting due to the fact that it managed to boost the peak brightness. This was done by enhancing the luminous efficiency by 1.5 times compared to the company's conventional models. NEC said that this was achieved by the optimization of the ratio of gases that emit plasma, and improvements were made to the double-crossed cell structure. However, the company refrained from revealing the figures relative to the peak brightness.

By improving the luminous efficiency, not only was the peak brightness increased but NEC also reduced the power consumption. In fact, compared to the conventional models by NEC Plasma Display, power consumption is believed to have been cut by around 20%, the company said.

Apparently, the new models can display 4,096 gradations or equivalent in a dark scene. It executes gamma corrections at 12-bit processing. Also, the panel features eight-bit control.

In addition to the 50- and 42-inch XGA models, NEC also announced 61-inch XGA and 42-inch VGA models. These models have a luminous efficiency and contrast ratio in a bright setting similar to the conventional models. Prices are open, and they also will become available from August 25.

I suspect tyre kicking and trying to discredit other for more knowledge than yourself giving you something to talk about in this thread  Am i right?

er, why don't people like yourselves provide some advice for all of us n00bs and novices then, rather than being condescending? :blink:

it's all very well to sit back and laugh (arrogance in its own way) but why leave hapless selves like myself to flounder in our own shite! :P

PLEASE feel free to answer all the questions throughout the forums accurately and with your knowledge: all industry pro's invited!

Hi all,

I am very new here too and only comment based on what I have seen which is of course my own opinion.

I have been tyre kicking for a while which will lead to my first plasma purchase by January. Having said that the reason newbie's like Shiny and I are on this forum is to cross reference our perceptions with people who have more experience/knowledge as this is a way to avoid unforseen traps and obstacles that many of you have already encountered.

When one of us newbies makes a comment that is outright wrong or misguided it would be far more constructive to use the experience that you old hands have than to sit back and laugh from up in the lofty heights of the stratosphere!

Some here have been very helpful already so please lets keep it that way!

Every one on this forum can learn from others experience.

No one knows everything!!!!!

Hi all,

I am very new here too and only comment based on what I have seen which is of course my own opinion.

I have been tyre kicking for a while which will lead to my first plasma purchase by January. Having said that the reason newbie's like Shiny and I are on this forum is to cross reference our perceptions with people who have more experience/knowledge as this is a way to avoid unforseen traps and obstacles that many of you have already encountered.

When one of us newbies makes a comment that is outright wrong or misguided it would be far more constructive to use the experience that you old hands have than to sit back and laugh from up in the lofty heights of the stratosphere!

Some here have been very helpful already so please lets keep it that way!

Every one on this forum can learn from others experience.

No one knows everything!!!!!

Sorry if my last post came across as a bit of a dig but I just hope that everyone keeps in mind that when an opinion is posted it is just that and no more and everyone is entitled to one!

Personally when I post an opinion of my own I expect to have others debate it with me and put their own thoughts forward - I have changed my opinion on several things after hearing others input and their reasoning.

Its all great banter and good fun also!

Dan.

I’ve seen the new 50 at bing lee in the city, bing lee have the plasma’s set up in a nice little dark corner of the showroom which is excellent for seeing what the absolute black performance is like on these panels, to many showrooms have bright lighting which hides what the picture will be like in most lounge rooms without all that overbright showroom lighting.

BTW if you care to understand what I commented on has nothing to do with how the unit is setup, Determining the units absolute black level is trivial, it doesn’t rely on source material, all it requires is you having no signal into the panel which displays a black screen, you then just observe how black that black screen is in very low lighting conditions. I got the indication from people here that black levels were better than what I saw.

Sorry if my last post came across as a bit of a dig but I just hope that everyone keeps in mind that when an opinion is posted it is just that and no more and everyone is entitled to one!

Personally when I post an opinion of my own I expect to have others debate it with me and put their own thoughts forward - I have changed my opinion on several things after hearing others input and their reasoning.

Its all great banter and good fun also!

Dan.

Dan what I commented on was not opinionated, but more factual, I never commented on the overall picture quality since like you said a lot of that is opinionated ie people have difference preferences in what they deem is an excellent picture. All I stated was the absolute black levels weren’t as good as I was expecting this is long standing and annoying weakness in flat panels imo. But for some that watch with lots of ambient light a lot of the time it isn’t really much of an issue, it just depends on how you like to watch your tv.

Angelo the unit I saw was running component, but when unit has no signal it should be inidicative of the lowest black level the panel can produce, so what I witnessed was based off that.

One thing that i will say with the nec is that the gamma 12 does help reduce false contouring, but you can still see lots of half tonning dithering in the picture, which is just something plasmas in general have, I hope they can soon improve the real pixel colour depth, that's one area where I think SED displays will be a nice improvement.

Hey Mozmo

This thread is starting to resemble the Rank Arena one. Hey what ever happened to Geeseman ?

Anyway at the end of the day Im judging the NEC with the best tools available to me and thats my EYES !!!

As Ive said before if the Sony didnt have a problem with HDTV then I would still have it. Mind you thats because the NEC wasnt released yet. :blink:

Angelo

One of the reasons Giz stopped posting many months back (apart from his travels) was the hysterical histrionics perpetrated by the anti-cable nazis against him and others in this forum. His hifi experience and knowledge was thereby lost to this forum for nearly half a year!

On the other hand, I'm quite happy to take the nazis on! They are such an easy target because they have absolutely no first-hand experience to speak from ... they would be too tight to buy even one good cable - and try it before asking for a refund! All they have is just an engineering degree (probably civil or mechanical - and probably a diploma at that!!) and a closed mind! (If they really push me, I will actually tell them why I discarded my first [Chemical Engineering at Melbourne U] degree and moved across to the real world with subsequent studies and work (though I am still a director of a multinational chemical manufacturer).

Welcome back, Giz!

Ian

Mozmo,

I, always appreciate your comments, as well as your opinions.

Angelo,

I remember well Geeseman, the very active poster from the forums over 2 years ago. Yeah.

All,

Over the years many have been assisted with their decisions and purchases because of many posters fearlessly giving their honest assessment on these forums.

Long live honest assessments, comments and yes, even opinions.

All helps us to constantly exercise our own minds, and our own eyes.

These forums are NOT professional reviews by professional reviewers (thankfully).

These forums are NOT professional reviews by professional reviewers (thankfully).

Well said, Aqua. I happily (... but still nervously, since it was double my initial budget!) spent $6k on an unseen plasma on the basis of Angelo's opinion and Glenncol's confirmation of it. That was enough for me ... because I know how each sees PQ issues and how much extra they would happily spend if they thought they had found a better one at any price. PQ was my only purchase criteria after my earlier disaster choosing a "nice" LG cabinet!

However, at the end of the day, it is still important to get a 'money-back-if-not-satisfied-for-any-reason' commitment from the dealer. eHome does this; DSE (wash my mouth out) does this; and so do many JB, HN and Betta franchised outlets if you ask them before paying!!

Ian

Well said, Aqua. I happily (... but still nervously, since it was double my initial budget!) spent $6k on an unseen plasma on the basis of Angelo's opinion and Glenncol's confirmation of it. That was enough for me ... because I know how each sees PQ issues and how much extra they would happily spend if they thought they had found a better one at any price. PQ was my only purchase criteria after my earlier disaster choosing a "nice" LG cabinet!

However, at the end of the day, it is still important to get a 'money-back-if-not-satisfied-for-any-reason' commitment from the dealer. eHome does this; DSE (wash my mouth out) does this; and so do many JB, HN and Betta franchised outlets if you ask them before paying!!

Ian

Yay, everyone is playing nicely again!

I agree that the NEC is nowhere near panny blacks in a darkened environment.

This is not surprising considering that no other panel comes close to the Panny in this respect. However the pannys in this country are seriously input limited with respect to PAL resolutions at 50hz and the new viera is not new it is the model from nearly two years ago in Japan! We don't even get a DVI or HDMI input!!

The only other panel that matches the panny blacks is the fujitsu P50 or the 42 SD which both use panny sourced glass.

Tell me about it. Panasonic treats Australia like crap but so does everyone else. Still no shipments of the 7 series yet, UK shipment got burned in a fire which means we won't be getting any of the 7 series this year.

Viera PX300 range is aboslute gem with IEEE/ETHERNET/HDMI inputs but that's not coming to Australia for years if at all. Onyx range only available in US, plus the US had the PHD7 series for more than a month and plenty of stock.

I took the plunge and put a deposit down on a NEC 42XR3W with a stand this week. Unfortunately it won't be delivered till 15 November :blink: .

I had a lot of trouble finding one to look at and then a reseller took my order and then cancelled it when they realised they were not making enough margin on it!

Thanks to the comments in this thread for helping me make my mind up.

I took the plunge and put a deposit down on a NEC 42XR3W with a stand this week. Unfortunately it won't be delivered till 15 November :blink: .

I had a lot of trouble finding one to look at and then a reseller took my order and then cancelled it when they realised they were not making enough margin on it!

Thanks to the comments in this thread for helping me make my mind up.

Did you go through eHome?

Well got my replacement 50XM4 today.

Good news is this thing is even better than the 50xr4 in PQ !

Bad news is when the fans kick in it sounds like a frign jumbo taking off :blink:

You guys with the BLACK 42 version did you get a HDMI cable with your plasma ?

Angelo

Oh by the way were you looking at buying  aplasma or tyreing kicking ?

Just my opinion

Geez ........ what was the name of that song with the lyric "If I did not have an ego I would not be here tonight"?..........

And if you get it right, you get the chance of ..........

The money or the box? ..... or should I say the plasma panel ..............

Gong! .......Time's up ...... "Ego is not a dirty word - Skyhooks"

Just a little blast from the past and just my opinion

Bad news is when the fans kick  in it sounds like a frign jumbo taking off  :blink:

You guys with the BLACK 42 version did you get a HDMI  cable with your plasma ?

Angelo

Pheeeewww!! I'm glad I got my 42XM before you got too intimate with your 50XM, Angelo!! Otherwise I would definitely have missed out on my whisper-quiet, good-as-a-crt, thin-as-an-lcd butt-kicker!

No. I didn't get an HDMI (or DVI) cable - and the manual told me not to expect one! I don't know who started that rumour, but he/she sure had my hopes up.

Commiserations, :P

Ian

PS. I live in 35deg Brisbane and never hear the fan (but it would be drowned out by the Toppy anyway) ... hey, there's a thought, mate ... just get a Toppy and you won't hear the fan!! Two problems solved!

No need to thank me. :P

Bad news is when the fans kick  in it sounds like a frign jumbo taking off  :blink:

Angelo

No dude but because i had the silver version before it i forgot to put the cable in the box when it was picked up.

Exact situation as me. I could not see anywhere. Everyone I approached could not beat the prices I got from this site and was not interested in my business. I am buying sight unseen.

I've been told 5th November for my 42XM3.

Rob.

Hi,

Long time browser first time poster ...

What's a reasonable/good price for 42xm3 + stand + teac dvb800 ?

thanks.

Hi Guys,

I spoke to Philip Vafiadis (VAF speakers) last night and mentioned the NEC latest gen models and price and he said he could do the same on the equivalent new model NEC which he said sheares the latest gen electronics!

(I can hear Glencol shuddering from here!!)

Can anyone verify that these look the same as I am buying speakers from VAF and can do a good package deal!

Dan.

Did you go through eHome?

No - I ended up buying it from Clive Peeters in Moorabbin for $5500 (including stand). I figured that I didn't need the extra service from e-home and this was the best price I could negotiate.

Hi,

thanks.

Around $6,350 is a very good deal.

[edit]Ooops! Just saw the post above - so $6,050 would be an exceptional deal (this week) - though eHome does provide outstanding knowledge, service and support for the extra dollars.

Hi,

thanks.

Around $6,350 is a very good deal.

[edit]Ooops! Just saw the post above - so $6,050 would be an exceptional deal (this week) - though eHome does provide outstanding knowledge, service and support for the extra dollars.

Much appreciated. will try for around that.

btw : saw the XR panels @ NEC in Epping (thanks Big Al !) and was duely impressed.

Angelo

So you ended up getting the black model same as mine :P Regarding the fan, I had NEC techs look at mine and it was set to low in the service menu, but you can turn them off but not recommended I guess, unless you live in a cool climate. There was no HDMI cable with mine. I did get component leads with the NEC HD box.

PQ is stunning is it.

Big AL

Ian

I got a cable with the 50 silver model.

Do think if Im running a set of speakers which are not 9w at 6 ohm I may be drawing too much power causing the Plasma,s aux fans to kick in ?

Angelo

I don't think I mentioned that the fan is set to Low and is thermostatically controlled and Medium kicks in at 39 deg. and High at approx 51 deg.

Big AL