NEW NEC HD Plasma

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

or as i said earlier being a multi story units ud have to get access to upstairs and drill through the concrete floor..... hmmm then again i think he may be on the top floor, so dill through the roof, should be easy haah

Ah multi story damn

Yep. Concrete slabs above and below, and concrete block structural walls. Makes my unit sound proof but impossible to access/hide anything. And since I was the first to live in the building, any damage to the plasterboard will be blamed straight onto me (unless I also pay to get a plasterer and painter in before I leave)!

Blimey guys, this thread has ended up on page 3! Very disappointing!

To revive it and put it back to it's rightful place on page 1, I have the following question to ask:

Just lately, sitting fairly close to my NEC 50", I have noticed some quite minor (but nonetheless noticeable) solarisation on skin tones. Now this is on SD programmes eg. All Saints - last night. In Hobart we still aren't getting HD on WIN, however I noticed the channel 90 loop (on WIN HD) which does not have much in the way of skin tones anyway, looks great.

So my question with this solarisation I am noticing, is, does it relate to the 50/60hz thing I have read previously (and if so, how would you re-set the NEC to display at 60hz?), or is it because the programme is being received in SD, rather than HD? Or, could it be something to do with my TEAC DVB-800 via DVI?

Wouldn't mind some thoughts from the experts out there (if only to keep this thread current!).

Blimey guys, this thread has ended up on page 3!  Very disappointing!

To revive it and put it back to it's rightful place on page 1, I have the following question to ask:

Just lately, sitting fairly close to my NEC 50", I have noticed some quite minor (but nonetheless noticeable) solarisation on skin tones.  Now this is on SD programmes eg. All Saints - last night.  In Hobart we still aren't getting HD on WIN, however I noticed the channel 90 loop (on WIN HD) which does not have much in the way of skin tones anyway, looks great.

So my question with this solarisation I am noticing, is, does it relate to the 50/60hz thing I have read previously (and if so, how would you re-set the NEC to display at 60hz?), or is it because the programme is being received in SD, rather than HD?  Or, could it be something to do with my TEAC DVB-800 via DVI?

Wouldn't mind some thoughts from the experts out there (if only to keep this thread current!).

It will mainly show when set to 50Hz but the pain is that when viewing a DVD and set to 50Hz not one bit of it is present at all this is leading me towards the material being the issue not the set

Just lately, sitting fairly close to my NEC 50", I have noticed some quite minor (but nonetheless noticeable) solarisation on skin tones.  Now this is on SD programmes eg. All Saints - last night.  In Hobart we still aren't getting HD on WIN, however I noticed the channel 90 loop (on WIN HD) which does not have much in the way of skin tones anyway, looks great.

So my question with this solarisation I am noticing, is, does it relate to the 50/60hz thing I have read previously (and if so, how would you re-set the NEC to display at 60hz?), or is it because the programme is being received in SD, rather than HD?  Or, could it be something to do with my TEAC DVB-800 via DVI?

It will mainly show when set to 50Hz but the pain is that when viewing a DVD and set to 50Hz not one bit of it is present at all this is leading me towards the material being the issue not the set

So if I wanted to try it at 60hz, how would I do it?

Have you changed it from original ?

If not it should be @ 60

Hi Sean,

Change back to 60Hz the same way that you got it to 50Hz! Using the remote, push the following buttons in sequence:

- Off Timer

- Exit

- Mute

- Off Timer

This brings up the Service Menu transparent overlay.

Then toggle "V-Freq OT" from "Auto" to "60Hz" ('auto' will automatically adjust for 50Hz DTV/DVDs and 60Hz NTSC DVDs; '60Hz' stays fixed at 60Hz for everything).

Then repeat the above sequence to exit Service Mode. Also ensure that the 'Off Timer' hasn't set itself to 30mins during the exercise. :blink:

As Glenn said, the solarisation is only noticeable with DTV ... not DVDs ... whether the panel is set to 'auto' or '60Hz'. It is, however, worse at 50Hz than 60Hz if it is visible at 60Hz. If solarisation isn't visible at 60Hz (quite common, but becoming less frequent as broadcasters continue to squeeze bandwidth), then it generally becomes visible at 50Hz (but not always).

I would estimate that I switch from 60Hz to 50Hz only about 2-3 times a week ... when judder in a particular programme starts to annoy me ... then remember to switch back to 60Hz when solarisation from another programme is particularly bad. (I personally find solarisation of a whole programme far more annoying than the occasional judder during a fast pan).

Because the Service Mode remote sequence is so easy for me to remember/perform, it's now as second-nature as adjusting the volume level to suit my mood and programme loudness.

Hi Sean,

Change back to 60Hz the same way that you got it to 50Hz! Using the remote, push the following buttons in sequence:

- Off Timer

- Exit

- Mute

- Off Timer

This brings up the Service Menu transparent overlay.

Then toggle "V-Freq OT" from "Auto" to "60Hz" ('auto' will automatically adjust for 50Hz DTV/DVDs and 60Hz NTSC DVDs; '60Hz' stays fixed at 60Hz for everything).

Then repeat the above sequence to exit Service Mode. Also ensure that the 'Off Timer' hasn't set itself to 30mins during the exercise. :blink:

As Glenn said, the solarisation is only noticeable with DTV ... not DVDs ... whether the panel is set to 'auto' or '60Hz'. It is, however, worse at 50Hz than 60Hz if it is visible at 60Hz. If solarisation isn't visible at 60Hz (quite common, but becoming less frequent as broadcasters continue to squeeze bandwidth), then it generally becomes visible at 50Hz (but not always).

I would estimate that I switch from 60Hz to 50Hz only about 2-3 times a week ... when judder in a particular programme starts to annoy me ... then remember to switch back to 60Hz when solarisation from another programme is particularly bad. (I personally find solarisation of a whole programme far more annoying than the occasional judder during a fast pan).

Because the Service Mode remote sequence is so easy for me to remember/perform, it's now as second-nature as adjusting the volume level to suit my mood and programme loudness.

That's a great explanation Ian. Many thanks. I will give that a go.

(PS: Can't wait to get my NEC calibrated. You still happy with yours?)

(PS:  Can't wait to get my NEC calibrated.  You still happy with yours?)

Even happier every day, Sean!!! I can't recommend it highly enough ... even crappy programs look much better because the skin tones stay intact. How's progress on getting Aaron down there?

(PS:  Can't wait to get my NEC calibrated.  You still happy with yours?)

Even happier every day, Sean!!! I can't recommend it highly enough ... even crappy programs look much better because the skin tones stay intact. How's progress on getting Aaron down there?

Supposed to be in March sometime, however I am having a little trouble getting 6 starters for him; which baffles me! Are we Tasmanians slow?

HN said he should come and offer to do a demo for them, so they could on-sell his service to their customers. But this is a bit of an ask when he lives in WA! Anyhow, I am still trying, but the dba website in Tassie is strangely silent.

However (on that note of calibration -sorry if this is drifting off topic a bit), I re-set mine with the THX programme on one of my discs, however you need special THX 'glasses' for colour tint to see that part of the calibration. Any idea where you can get these from and how much?

[quote name=angryofmayfair' date='Sep 23 2004,

For those interdted you should be able to get the 42" for around $5800 [/quote]

Unless you took a gun with you I don,t think your gonna get close to that price.

Angelo :blink:

You never know. I'm starting to wonder how much they can sell any panel for.

I thought that $6,500 was the best I could do yesterday for the Pionner PDP435HD 43" HD and the Fuji P42HHA40WS 42" HD in Melbourne & Geelong.

But, I have noticed that someone on this forum has just bought the same Fuji for $5,670!

However (on that note of calibration -sorry if this is drifting off topic a bit), I re-set mine with the THX programme on one of my discs, however you need special THX 'glasses' for colour tint to see that part of the calibration.  Any idea where you can get these from and how much?

You need the ones that come with the "Digital Video Essentials" PAL DVD. I can never find it when I'm out looking in Brisbane, but it's apparently available from JB for ~$25 and can be ordered off the net for ~$45. Aaron also uses it for part of his calibration routine and usually carries a few spares (for sale) with him ... just didn't have any with him when he did my NEC. :blink:

However (on that note of calibration -sorry if this is drifting off topic a bit), I re-set mine with the THX programme on one of my discs, however you need special THX 'glasses' for colour tint to see that part of the calibration.  Any idea where you can get these from and how much?

You need the ones that come with the "Digital Video Essentials" PAL DVD. I can never find it when I'm out looking in Brisbane, but it's apparently available from JB for ~$25 and can be ordered off the net for ~$45. Aaron also uses it for part of his calibration routine and usually carries a few spares (for sale) with him ... just didn't have any with him when he did my NEC. :blink:

OH MY GOD you are around :P

Hi,

Just a few questions:

1. Should I go the 42XR3W (silver) or 42XM3W (black). I know the specifications are pretty much the same but there is a slight difference. Any comments?

2. This topic started in October last year - is this plasma still recommended, and is this a good price?

3. HD Set Top Box - Homecast HT5000 (with DVI output). Is this a good box for the price or should I shop around for the TEAC DV-B800 which a lot of you have recommended?

4. Any more comments?

Thanks guys - much appreciated.

Kitcho

Just a few questions:

1. Should I go the 42XR3W (silver) or 42XM3W (black).  I know the specifications are pretty much the same but there is a slight difference.  Any comments?

Go for the black. The darker bezel will give the illusion of better contrast.

2. This topic started in October last year - is this plasma still recommended, and is this a good price?

Still highly recommended (the new Pioneer xx5 are no better than the older xx4 for PQ). Excellent price!

3. QSphere have a HD Set Top Box - Homecast HT5000 (with DVI output) for $418.  Is this a good box for the price or should I shop around for the TEAC DV-B800 which a lot of you have recommended?

Some of us (not me though ... yet) have gone off the TEAC. The LG is allegedly now more reliable and similar/better PQ. Check the Homecast thread for recent experiences there, as well.

4. Any more comments?

Nope. Well ... the NEC is still arguably the best PQ and certainly "best value for high quality" if some others (eg. Pioneer) are considered of equal PQ.

Ian there is the cheap PAL one for @ $24.95, then there is the 720p and 1080i DVhs one which sells for $110

http://www.ausmedia.com.au/digital%20video%20essentials.htm

Which is the one that I should use with my NEC (with DVB800 and Momitsu)?

Ian there is the cheap PAL one for @ $24.95, then there is the 720p and 1080i DVhs one which sells for $110

http://www.ausmedia.com.au/digital%20video%20essentials.htm

Which is the one that I should use with my NEC (with DVB800 and Momitsu)?

I did hold much weight on these setup discs for plasmas as that is the way o had mine set up before Aaron got there and it was so far out it was not funny

Hi,

After contacting Michael from QSphere, he has told me I can get the 42XR3W for $5,190 (including desktop stand and free delivery to Brisbane).

Just a few questions:

1. Should I go the 42XR3W (silver) or 42XM3W (black).  I know the specifications are pretty much the same but there is a slight difference.  Any comments?

3. QSphere have a HD Set Top Box - Homecast HT5000 (with DVI output) for $418.  Is this a good box for the price or should I shop around for the TEAC DV-B800 which a lot of you have recommended?

4. Any more comments?

Thanks guys - much appreciated.

Kitcho

I agree with Ian the charcol bezel is a better way to go the charcol will not reflect and lets face the charcol looks heaps better and will not date like the silver (Thats the wife talking)

After all the crap i have gone through with the Teac and as i have owned the LG i would say the LG is just as good as the Teac PQ but less reliable if you can believe that.

If you deal through them make sure you get one of those nice cable covers thrown in

I will not mention the Pioneer as i will be regarded as biased but will say i still like the PQ of the NEC more without being biased

It's definately time for a bump on this thread :blink:

I've been a very happy NEC 42" XM3W owner for a couple of months now. However I have one niggling issue with viewing DTV with it.

When the picture screen is scrolling along the horizontal it would appear that the picture is jumpy or skipping, whatever the term, it's not smooth. Same thing with scrolling tickers on morning TV or news programs - they seem to skip along.

My setup is:

HTPC

Dvico Fusion

Nvidia 6200

NEC connected via DVI cable

Resolution set to 1024x768 @ 75Hz

I've gone into the service menu as previous threads have suggested, the screen appears to be running at 60 Hz. Is the issue with the refresh the video card is outputting?

Thanks

Glen.

Hey Glen,

finally moved into my new house and got the NEC setup...still gotta do some fine tuning but looking great.

I went into the service menu and changed the 60Hz settings to auto and it made a noticable improvement with my setup of Teac DV800 into the plasma via DVI.

Hopefully making the same change will solve your issue too

cliffo

It's definately time for a bump on this thread  :blink:

I've been a very happy NEC 42" XM3W owner for a couple of months now. However I have one niggling issue with viewing DTV with it.

When the picture screen is scrolling along the horizontal it would appear that the picture is jumpy or skipping, whatever the term, it's not smooth. Same thing with scrolling tickers on morning TV or news programs - they seem to skip along.

My setup is:

HTPC

Dvico Fusion

Nvidia 6200

I've gone into the service menu as previous threads have suggested, the screen appears to be running at 60 Hz. Is the issue with the refresh the video card is outputting?

Thanks

Glen.

Hey Glen,

finally moved into my new house and got the NEC setup...still gotta do some fine tuning but looking great.

I went into the service menu and changed the 60Hz settings to auto and it made a noticable improvement with my setup of Teac DV800 into the plasma via DVI.

Hopefully making the same change will solve your issue too

cliffo

My setup is:

HTPC

Dvico Fusion

Nvidia 6200

Thanks

Glen.

Congrats Cliffo

It's interesting that most of the guys that find this an annoying issue are using HTPC's.

Do you also have an STB and does the jerky scrolling bother you while watching the STB?

I can't say its a problem with my STB. Sure it's smoother at 50 Hz, but not really noticeable at the default 60Hz.

I still get a warm glow when I return home to my NEC after seeing other plasmas in the shops, pubs etc.

My setup is:

HTPC

Dvico Fusion

Nvidia 6200

Thanks

Glen.

I would try running the plasma at 50hz which will be a direct multipyer of you cards 75hz

I have a 50" XM4...

and i experience exactly the same problem and also have a PC hooked up to the plasma via DVI.

the horizontal motion is jumpy - definitely not smooth. What is it like with a Set Top Box guys?

but when i play a dvd via the same PC it seems to be fine - is yours the same?

what app are you using for HTPC? or are you just using Dvico's stuff?

Matt E

I have a 50" XM4...

and i experience exactly the same problem and also have a PC hooked up to the plasma via DVI.

the horizontal motion is jumpy - definitely not smooth. What is it like with a Set Top Box guys?

but when i play a dvd via the same PC it seems to be fine - is yours the same?

what app are you using for HTPC? or are you just using Dvico's stuff?

Matt E

I'm using MCE and DVICO, use MCE mostly - but I'm sure I've seen it there too.

As far as option in the Server Menu go - I only have 60Hz and AUTO. I have set the refresh on the card so that it's 1024x768 @ 60Hz but no real change. I will try a DVD shortly - beginning to thing it's the tuner maybe DVICO drivers?