NEW NEC HD Plasma

Ian

Depending on the age of your place the wall studs will be either 450mm or 600mm apart.

Start from the corner and move outwards until you hit the first stub and measure this  now try frind the second as mentioned it will be either 450 or 600.

But if you really want ot be 100% sure grab one of the bulleyes

Thanks Glenn. The place is only 2 years old - so what separation should I expect in Qld? (I still haven't found any (or maybe one), so drilling through with a 1mm bit to locate them is probably the next step).

I've tried from the edge, but find nails at different distances depending on height above floor! First stud appears to be 500mm from edge but next one is 300 or 350 or 400 depending on height!! :blink: It must be a Qld plasterer thing (or a *me* thing)!

Geez how in the hell do they have this set up

Rather than makeing ore holes dude i would bite the bullet and get a bulleye

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easiest way I found with my 100 year old place was to slide a thin metal ruler under the skirting and feel for the studs, make pencil marks for the left and right side of the stud, then simply mark these lines up the wall with a spirit level.

You may need to remove the skirting if you can't get under it. If it's fixed too securely, it'll probably break the skirting and this wont be a good method :-).

Oh and the coach screws supplied with the mounts are crap, I snapped *all* of the supplied ones with little effort (hardwood mind you) and be very careful with the depth of the bracket screws into the plasma.

Rob.

Edited by jewfish

Easiest way I found with my 100 year old place was to slide a thin metal ruler under the skirting and feel for the studs, make pencil marks for the left and right side of the stud, then simply mark these lines up the wall with a spirit level.

You may need to remove the skirting (if not fixed too securely) if you can't get under it.  Oh and the coach screws supplied with the mounts are crap, I snapped *all* of the supplied ones with little effort (hardwood mind you).

Rob.

You would not want to be doing this to modern places

Most houses to day have skirtings made of moulded MDF and removing them is likely to split them.

It will be a cheaper alternative to buy a decent stud finder

Ian

Depending on the age of your place the wall studs will be either 450mm or 600mm apart.

Start from the corner and move outwards until you hit the first stub and measure this  now try frind the second as mentioned it will be either 450 or 600.

Thanks Glenn. The place is only 2 years old - so what separation should I expect in Qld? (I still haven't found any (or maybe one), so drilling through with a 1mm bit to locate them is probably the next step).

I've tried from the edge, but find nails at different distances depending on height above floor! First stud appears to be 500mm from edge but next one is 300 or 350 or 400 depending on height!! :blink: It must be a Qld plasterer thing (or a *me* thing)!

CM: I got a pretty solid italian mount from e-Home (looks like the Peerless one that ShinyCar got from JB a few months ago). It has plenty of adjustment options so I hope I don't need the MDF (which would require me to also buy a saw and a paintbrush and some paint and a hammer and .....).

If you were in melb you could use my Bulleye as my wife is sick of me walking around the house with it and pointing it at myself while making a beeping noise

You may need to remove the skirting (if not fixed too securely) if you can't get under it.  Oh and the coach screws supplied with the mounts are crap, I snapped *all* of the supplied ones with little effort (hardwood mind you).

Rob.

You would not want to be doing this to modern places

Most houses to day have skirtings made of moulded MDF and removing them is likely to split them.

It will be a cheaper alternative to buy a decent stud finder

I've got a stanley intelli finder. its a step above the base model ian and it picks the studs every time within a few mm literally. It has leds to tell you if your getting closer or further away to the stud. I've used this in our place thats 2 years old and my parents 20+ years old house - finds things in the wall every time.

You might want to check if your stud finder is working ian.

calibrate it on a flat internal door. Put a broom handle at the back and see if you can pick the broom handle.

honestly ian stud finders work you don't need any other way of finding the studs.

Ian

CM: I got a pretty solid italian mount from e-Home (looks like the Peerless one that ShinyCar got from JB a few months ago). It has plenty of adjustment options so I hope I don't need the MDF (which would require me to also buy a saw and a paintbrush and some paint and a hammer and .....).

If you were in melb you could use my Bulleye as my wife is sick of me walking around the house with it and pointing it at myself while making a beeping noise

A comment like this had to be said. Well done Glenn, you hunk!

Ian

Yeah i waited as long as i could i really thought someone else would have used it

Ian

Yeah i waited as long as i could i really thought someone else would have used it

No doubt mine is also getting confused with the operator being so close to it. Maybe that's why it reacts to my finger pressure.

BTW, Al, I tried your broomstick behind the door tip and it works! So now I know there are no hidden broomsticks in the wall ... but there are no studs in there either!!

All I can now think of is that they just nailed the plasterboard straight onto the structural concrete blocks with maybe a small square of 3-ply as a spacer at each nail?

I'll get a Bullseye tomorrow. Sheeesh ... the tools cost more than the stand!!!!!!!!!!!

Ian

No doubt mine is also getting confused with the operator being so close to it. Maybe that's why it reacts to my finger pressure.

BTW, Al, I tried your broomstick behind the door tip and it works! So now I know there are no hidden broomsticks in the wall ... but there are no studs in there either!!

All I can now think of is that they just nailed the plasterboard straight onto the structural concrete blocks with maybe a small square of 3-ply as a spacer at each nail?

I'll get a Bullseye tomorrow. Sheeesh ... the tools cost more than the stand!!!!!!!!!!!

:P Thank god you have no brrom handles in the wall gee thay can play havoc

hehehe - I couldn't help myself laughing when I read this hehehe

OK no broomsticks in the walls.

Actually maybe you queenslanders worked out how to do houses without studs ! maybe that explains that flapping sound you keep hearing ian while trying to tune up the hsu elac combination of yours ! :blink:

Aren't you in an appartment ian. maybe they built differently.

If you can't find the studs ian I'd get it installed. No installers in your area?. Worth getting a qoute if nothing else.

Just thinking outside the square here folks...

It might be one of those Nu-Steel homes !!

Does anyone know if the GlennFinders work on those?

I was thinking that myself but my glennfinder does pick up electrical conduit (shows up thinner than studs) - basically picks up anything behind the plasterboard so presume it will pick up steel supports too ?.

being a 3rd story unit, i don' think standard house rules would apply, the wall or components in it may well be structural to the building?

Anyways if it is plaster, toggle hooks work a treat........ oops only Projectors in a dungeon, i forgot..... C.M stop floggin that dead horse :blink: haha

I've just installed a very similar mount (OMB brand "Fixed Plasma") I used a Stanley stud finder and it worked fine.

My stud finder requires you to find an area without a stud, (by tapping on the wall), put the stud finder in place and then hold the button down until it stops beeping - this indicates that it's calibrated. It took me a while to work this out!

The lag bolts are fine - if you snap them off I think you haven't drilled a big enough pilot hole.

I've just installed a very similar mount (OMB brand "Fixed Plasma")  I used a Stanley stud finder and it worked fine.

My stud finder requires you to find an area without a stud, (by tapping on the wall), put the stud finder in place and then hold the button down until it stops beeping - this indicates that it's calibrated.  It took me a while to work this out!

The lag bolts are fine - if you snap them off I think you haven't drilled a big enough pilot hole.

Your finder sounds like the 'deluxe' version, Chris!

Mine just has an LED that lights when one gets near the stud from one side ... then mark the wall ... then approach from the other side ... and mark again ... then calculate halfway between the two marks ... then there is allegedly a stud at that point!

Quite primitive ... I'll try for a refund tomorrow from Mitre10 on my way to Bunnings for something more 21st Century. :blink:

BTW, mine's a "WatchTV Flat Panel Support" but sounds the same as yours.

I've just installed a very similar mount (OMB brand "Fixed Plasma")  I used a Stanley stud finder and it worked fine.

My stud finder requires you to find an area without a stud, (by tapping on the wall), put the stud finder in place and then hold the button down until it stops beeping - this indicates that it's calibrated.  It took me a while to work this out!

Mine just has an LED that lights when one gets near the stud from one side ... then mark the wall ... then approach from the other side ... and mark again ... then calculate halfway between the two marks ... then there is allegedly a stud at that point!

Quite primitive ... I'll try for a refund tomorrow from Mitre10 on my way to Bunnings for something more 21st Century. :blink:

my intelli senser stanley one sounds like chrism's - you calibrate at a spot without a stud by holding down buttons - it has a range of yellow leds to tell you your getting closer to a stud and a final red one and the sound to tell you when you on it. Like a level meter on a metal detector.

As I said my one will pick a stud within mm and I can tell how wide it is which is handy so you don't end up drilling through narrow stuff which not be studs but electrical conduit or waterpipes !

get a decent one ian if you got studs you'll find them.

my intelli senser stanley one sounds like chrism's - you calibrate at a spot without a stud by holding down buttons - it has a range of yellow leds to tell you your getting closer to a stud and a final red one and the sound to tell you when you on it. Like a level meter on a metal detector.

As I said my one will pick a stud within mm and I can tell how wide it is which is handy so you don't end up drilling through narrow stuff which not be studs but electrical conduit or waterpipes !

get a decent one ian if you got studs you'll find them.

I think the Stanley will do the trick and from memory they were about $50 compared to the bullseye at $80 or $90 but if Ian needs the functionality of the laser level the Bullseye will be the way to go.

I must say i have used the laser level heaps of time over the last couple of months so the extra was worth it.

The Bullseye have a series of lights both red and reds come on when getting near and the green comes on at the edge of the stud then stays on until you have come off the other side.

Works perfectly

That's the one I've got. I'm happy with it, it's low profile, easy to mount and allows a bit of adjustment. Put a padlock through the hole in the bottom bar and it's secure too.

My stud finder is a Stanley Intelli Sensor Plus. it has a 1.5" deep read button on the front.

The biggest problem I had with the install was hiding the cables, but I've finally managed it with some plumbing parts! I used a 50mm flexible waste hose ($12) through the wall, a couple of small bits of pipe and a couple of "floor flanges" ($5 each) to make a set up I could thread cables through. I reasoned that a simple tube minimises cable lengths and connections.

Ian

:P Thank god you have no brrom handles in the wall gee thay can play havoc

Hey, if you want one, I'll give my mother in law a call. I think she's out shopping on it right now.

Wow! this thread still has a bit of life in it yet. I have been away for a few days and it has taken a while to catch up again. It was great to see all the projector heads pop out of their light controlled bolt holes to join the debate to see if size really does matter! I think the plasma punters fought back well though, and generally came to the same conclusions that I did.

A good projector system is brilliant for watching good quality movies, if you can control the light and you have the room. But could you watch TV on it? The ultimate set up would be either a dedicated Movie room (as some have done) or a drop down screen in front of a wide screen TV. These options were not viable for me. (only one room avallable, not a very long one!) However if you do the sums and look closely at the specs, to get the required resolution and contrast you have to spend the same sort of money or more than I have on the 61" plasma. Then you have the problems of feeding it with lamps, light control etc and I have yet to be convinced that you could really watch TV on it.

As some have already stated on this forum there is some good HD content out there and it will get better (slowly) and I am ready for it when and as it comes. Some of the nature docos and travel shows are a knock out and more live stuff is going HD. Even Auntie ABC news has been dragged kicking and screaming into widesreen at last. The ABC garden show nearly drove me around the twist but the pictures were stunning. It is not hard to see where it is going, HD is coming ready or not. Now, go and price up a true HD projector and screen and see if it will do the job for the money!

I agree that there is a lot of crap content about out there. Love the pictures on CSI but the script and the acting....... well what script and who? (probablly get another flogging here!) The answer to this for me will be the long awaited HD Toppy 7000. Then you can watch what you want when you want. I nearly bought a 5000 as I know a lot of you have but I decided to wait for the 7000 and try and use my computer in the mean time. Still waiting for an answer if anyone has figured out how to convert Fusion Dvico files into something the Momitsu can read. Then I can record on the hard drive and play through the lAN to the NEC. I am sure someone out there is as silly as me and wants to do this. You... Studs... should leave the broomsticks in the cupboard for the witches and get back on the thread!

Ian

Hey Ian,

I am a little late buying into this conversation but what type fo roofing do you have.... cos if its tile, just slide them back and look down the wall cavity... alternatively, if you can get under the floor.... look up and you should be able to see all with a decent flash light...

Have fun...

Andrew

Ian

Hey Ian,

I am a little late buying into this conversation but what type fo roofing do you have.... cos if its tile, just slide them back and look down the wall cavity... alternatively, if you can get under the floor.... look up and you should be able to see all with a decent flash light...

Have fun...

Andrew

only problem with that is that most time the walls will have a plinth so you would have to drill through the top plate to see anything anyway