NEW NEC HD Plasma

Ive turned off the wall feature it has and the fan noise has gone .

Angelo

From that I assume and can see NEC logic, if it's mounted on a wall bracket it would receive less air circulating at the back as oppose to sitting on a stand!

cheers laurie

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<snip> ... which reminds me Ive read someone buying the retail remote to operate the commercial plasma

DONT half the buttons dont work with it.

Angelo

<snip> ...

I think it was Ian (ijd) who was looking to get the silver remote !

Barry

Yep. It was me who ordered the silver remote to replace the black one. Thanks for the warning, Angelo.

I was expecting the bottom button group on the silver remote to provide direct input selection (rather than cycling through the 3 buttons for the 7 inputs using the black remote) . The bottom button group on the black remote is for up-to-25-panel video-wall usage, which is obviously of no use to me at home!

I'll get in touch with eHome to see what they can advise on the important function buttons (on-off, menu navigation, zoom, mute, etc) when the 'retail' silver remote is used with a black panel, then let everyone here know the answer.

Cheers,

Ian

I see where your coming from Ian, the only buttons which dont work on the silver remote is the DVD/HD3 and picture memory.

I guess with my MX-700 remote I can tell it what to do so I cant complain here.

Angelo

Just noticed Trevor Lees has the Pioneer HD 43" for $6000.  Has anyone seen this one side by side with the NEC?

The only thing and repeat only thing the pioneer beats the NEC on if a 5 year warranty but as for PQ no competition in fact the NEC also kicks the Pioneer domestic in PQ

------------------------------

I have been using the NEC 50" plasma for almost a month now.

Re-Glencol's quote above, I contacted NEC directly. Their 3-year conditional warranty on their plasma monitors is: Full warranty on the electronics only. Warranty on the plasma screen is only 1 year ...... repeat: 1 year only. Can anybody dispute this?

Othe observations:

a) Connection to the Teac HD STB is via a $15.00 DVI cable bought from the North Rocks computer fair. The picture quality is excellect. There is no question that it is better than via component. Moral or the story: you can achieve good picture (no distortion, pixelation...) as long as there are no errors in the digital signals passing through the cable. It is a matter of 1's and 0's and and to pay top $$ for a high end cable is purely a waste of money.

:blink: I can hear the fan noise even sitting about 4 metres away, and audible only when I mute the audio. If the audio is up to listening level, the fan noise would be swamped out.

c) Currently the video connection from my Foxtel digital STB (Pace) is via composite video. I am aware that the PQ will be much better via S-video. Can anybody out there let me have the pin inter-connections between the SCART and S-video terminals. I bought a SCART/S-video from Jaycar, but the pin connections are not compatible.

Just noticed Trevor Lees has the Pioneer HD 43" for $6000.  Has anyone seen this one side by side with the NEC?

The only thing and repeat only thing the pioneer beats the NEC on if a 5 year warranty but as for PQ no competition in fact the NEC also kicks the Pioneer domestic in PQ

------------------------------

I have been using the NEC 50" plasma for almost a month now.

Re-Glencol's quote above, I contacted NEC directly. Their 3-year conditional warranty on their plasma monitors is: Full warranty on the electronics only. Warranty on the plasma screen is only 1 year ...... repeat: 1 year only. Can anybody dispute this?

Othe observations:

a) Connection to the Teac HD STB is via a $15.00 DVI cable bought from the North Rocks computer fair. The picture quality is excellect. There is no question that it is better than via component. Moral or the story: you can achieve good picture (no distortion, pixelation...) as long as there are no errors in the digital signals passing through the cable. It is a matter of 1's and 0's and and to pay top $$ for a high end cable is purely a waste of money.

:blink: I can hear the fan noise even sitting about 4 metres away, and audible only when I mute the audio. If the audio is up to listening level, the fan noise would be swamped out.

c) Currently the video connection from my Foxtel digital STB (Pace) is via composite video. I am aware that the PQ will be much better via S-video. Can anybody out there let me have the pin inter-connections between the SCART and S-video terminals. I bought a SCART/S-video from Jaycar, but the pin connections are not compatible.

Yes i know its only 1 year on the panel as stated in other posts

Have a chat to Angelo and see what connections he used for the Foxtel box

<snip> ... which reminds me Ive read someone buying the retail remote to operate the commercial plasma

DONT half the buttons dont work with it.

Angelo

<snip> ...

I think it was Ian (ijd) who was looking to get the silver remote !

Barry

Yep. It was me who ordered the silver remote to replace the black one. Thanks for the warning, Angelo.

I was expecting the bottom button group on the silver remote to provide direct input selection (rather than cycling through the 3 buttons for the 7 inputs using the black remote) . The bottom button group on the black remote is for up-to-25-panel video-wall usage, which is obviously of no use to me at home!

I'll get in touch with eHome to see what they can advise on the important function buttons (on-off, menu navigation, zoom, mute, etc) when the 'retail' silver remote is used with a black panel, then let everyone here know the answer.

Cheers,

Ian

I see where your coming from Ian, the only buttons which dont work on the silver remote is the DVD/HD3 and picture memory.

I guess with my MX-700 remote I can tell it what to do so I cant complain here.

Angelo

I spoke to Geoff about the silver remore working on the black unit and he is going to check it out

My initial thoughts on the silver remote working on the black panel is that it will not work

On the black remote e.g youhave to toggle between component 1 and 2 using the same button i feel that the code being passed to the TV is the same .

The Silver remote has a dedicated component 1 and 2 button i would assume with different codes thta the MX3 may not regonise

But i could be wrong

My initial thoughts on the silver remote working on the black panel is that it will not work

On the black remote e.g youhave to toggle between component 1 and 2 using the same button i feel that the code being passed to the TV is the same .

The Silver remote has a dedicated component 1 and 2 button i would assume with different codes thta the MX3 may not regonise

But i could be wrong

Thanks for getting in touch with Geoff for me, Glenn! I'll keep my legs crossed and wait for his answer!?!

PS. Oh!! ... and BTW ... I was lucky enough to meet THE Guru of HTPC DTV this morning (a forum member), and the b**** showed me where there are a few flaws in either the NineHD Loop transmission, or the TEAC STB, or (... wash my mouth out! ...) the NEC panel!! We had some fun switching between his PC and my STBs and the panel and his mate's HD projector! The NEC was in no way disgraced - and really kicked with some HD progressive stuff he had downloded off the net (HiRes 720/60p and 1080i/25p)!

Oh! ... and the way he has his PC set up, SD is only a gnat's whisker below native HD PQ on the NEC - I'd have to go to a true HD native panel (1920x1080) to see a real difference (though Angelo's 1366x768 50" NEC would be ideal at 720/60p!).

Oh! ... and I'd like to thank the other forum member who came over for a squiz at the NEC 42XM ... for his impeccable thought in bringing the Grant Burge 2002 Barossa Shiraz! ... it is helping me type this even as we speak, and will have enough legs to suit my centenary! :blink::P

Edited by ijd

But i could be wrong

Thanks for getting in touch with Geoff for me, Glenn! I'll keep my legs crossed and wait for his answer!?!

PS. Oh!! ... and BTW ... I was lucky enough to meet THE Guru of HTPC DTV this morning (a forum member), and the b**** showed me where there are a few flaws in either the NineHD Loop transmission, or the TEAC STB, or (... wash my mouth out! ...) the NEC panel!! We had some fun switching between his PC and my STBs and the panel and his mate's HD projector! The NEC was in no way disgraced - and really kicked with some HD progressive stuff he had downloded off the net (HiRes 720/60p and 1080i/25p)!

Oh! ... and the way he has his PC set up, SD is only a gnat's whisker below native HD PQ on the NEC - I'd have to go to a true HD native panel (1920x1080) to see a real difference (though Angelo's 1366x768 50" NEC would be ideal at 720/60p!).

Oh! ... and I'd like to thank the other forum member who came over for a squiz at the NEC 42XM ... for his impeccable thought in bringing the Grant Burge 2002 Barossa Shiraz! ... it is helping me type this even as we speak, and will have enough legs to suit my centenary! :blink::P

Glad to see you're enjoying the Shiraz Ian, one of my favourite drops

Went back to Clive Peeter's today and hooked up my lappy the display was impeccable. Brings me one step closer to taking the plunge with the NEC.

But i could be wrong

Glad to see you're enjoying the Shiraz Ian, one of my favourite drops

Went back to Clive Peeter's today and hooked up my lappy the display was impeccable. Brings me one step closer to taking the plunge with the NEC.

You won't regret it, Dan ... and follow your partner's equally impeccable PQ taste by going with the XM. :P

But i could be wrong

Hey Ian and Angelo (If interested)

Looks like my initial thoughts are correct the XR remote will not work with the XM model as thr XR had dedicated codes for each input and the XM toggles the same code (DAMN DAMN DAMN)

Oh! ... and I'd like to thank the other forum member who came over for a squiz at the NEC 42XM ... for his impeccable thought in bringing the Grant Burge 2002 Barossa Shiraz! ... it is helping me type this even as we speak, and will have enough legs to suit my centenary! 

Hey its good to see someone has come through with a bottle of red !

Unlike myself there was another person on this form promising a bottle of red if he could see a NEC properly set up. He came and saw but no bottle of red.

To top it off he is a wine wholesaler !

Angelo :blink:

Its under option 3 ., video wall and hit menu.

Angelo

Angelo, I went to Option 3 video wall, I can't see anthing there that will turn off video wall or fan. The only place you can turn off fan is in the service menu. Have you felt the warm air being blown upward from the back cents?=

Yes but that was before I turned the Video Wall Feature off , now there is just a aux fan working like the silver model I had before.

Big AL

You can turn off the video wall, when your in Option 3 and have high lighted Video wall, hit menu and it will bring up another sub menu and there it is.

Cheers Angelo

Hey.......... yeah and he didn't even offer us a glass!!!!! :blink: hehe nah tis ok not really a wine drinker :P

This is a pretty long thread of DBA.

Ian,

Glad you enjoyed the HTPC. Glad i could try out DVI for the first time at least i know now that when i upgrade the PJ (probably when the bulb goes... its like "throwaway" haha) i will get a little bit extra vs VGA, though it seems more noticable on the desktop graphics etc than video.

Also glad i could demo on somes own gear just how good quality SD DTV 'fixed' with FFDShow can look. Oh also them demos where 1080P and 720P, non of the "dinosaur" "i" HD haha.

Been watching the same sections just now on the X1, your plasma is very good, certainly a bit more vibrancy in colours etc, though still surprised how close the X1 is, quite similar to viewing today....... ahhh best $2k ever spent...

Once i get the damn XR45 back your welcome to come have a bit of a demo (bring the proacs if ya like) and viewing of da cheapy PJ too.

Steve (the guy with the Benq PJ today) recon's once you have a look u'll be out the same day to get one for ya bedroom (he based this on your satisfaction with the PQ of the plasma).

c)  Currently the video connection from my Foxtel digital STB (Pace) is via composite video. I am aware that the PQ will be much better via S-video. Can anybody out there let me have the pin inter-connections between the SCART and S-video terminals. I bought a SCART/S-video from Jaycar, but the pin connections are not compatible.

Connect Foxtel Digital Sat just the way Glen and Ian have connected their Toppy.

Buy yourself a crest scart to RGB converter about $22, under the Foxtel menu out put RGB through the scart connection , run RGB from the Foxtel to the plasmas RBG BNC and run another cable from Foxtels composite to hd bnc on the plasma to create the sync and you will be amazed how good it looks.

Angelo

c)  Currently the video connection from my Foxtel digital STB (Pace) is via composite video. I am aware that the PQ will be much better via S-video. Can anybody out there let me have the pin inter-connections between the SCART and S-video terminals. I bought a SCART/S-video from Jaycar, but the pin connections are not compatible.

Connect Foxtel Digital Sat just the way Glen and Ian have connected their Toppy.

Buy yourself a crest scart to RGB converter about $22, under the Foxtel menu out put RGB through the scart connection , run RGB from the Foxtel to the plasmas RBG BNC and run another cable from Foxtels composite to hd bnc on the plasma to create the sync and you will be amazed how good it looks.

Angelo

Angelo, Glen or Ian,

The connectors on the Scart Crest adaptor are RGB (RCA) and they connect to the NEC on to the BNC connections (RGBHV)........ so the cables need are 3 * RGB (RCA) on one end to 3 *BNC connectors on the other ... is this correct ?

These just seem hard to find in the suggested quality cable brands (Crest, Jaycar, Maxcable) ... am I missing something ?

Thanks

Barry

Angelo

Angelo, Glen or Ian,

The connectors on the Scart Crest adaptor are RGB (RCA) and they connect to the NEC on to the BNC connections (RGBHV)........ so the cables need are 3 * RGB (RCA) on one end to 3 *BNC connectors on the other ... is this correct ?

These just seem hard to find in the suggested quality cable brands (Crest, Jaycar, Maxcable) ... am I missing something ?

Thanks

Barry

Hey Barry

Take the RGB from the adaptor to the BNC inputs on the plasma using some BNC to RCA converters.

The take a composite cable from the Foxtel box to the H bnv input on the plasma.

Go in a change the BNC input via the menu to Scart 1

Angelo

Angelo, Glen or Ian,

The connectors on the Scart Crest adaptor are RGB (RCA)YES and they connect to the NEC on to the BNC connections (RGBHV)YES........ so the cables need are 3 * RGB (RCA) on one end to 3 *BNC..YOU WILL NEED 4 RCA TO BNC ADAPTORS TO GO ONTO THE PLASMA connectors on the other ... is this correct ?

Thanks

Barry

Have a look at this link

http://www.crest.com.au/product.php?prodcode=PSA3

Also under the plasmas menu change the BNC input via the menu to Scart 1

Angelo

Buy yourself a crest scart to RGB converter about $22, under the Foxtel menu out put RGB  through the scart connection , run RGB from the Foxtel  to the plasmas RBG BNC and run another cable from Foxtels composite to hd bnc on the plasma to create the sync and you will be amazed how good it looks.

Angelo

Angelo, Glen or Ian,

Thanks

Barry

Hi Barry,

The only thing you are missing is the RCA-to-BNC adapters for the plasma end. These are about $3 each at Jaycar and you'll need 4 of them, of course.

Just to repeat:

* 'Crest' metal-case SCART->RGB adapter (much better shielding than a plastic scart adapter, cost = ~$20 at HN).

* Any good Component Video Cable (RCAs-to-RCAs, cost = ~$20)

* Any good Composite Video Cable (RCA-to-RCA, cost = ~$10)

* 4 x RCA(female)-to-BNC(male) adapters (cost = 4x$3 = ~$12)

This gives a total cost of ~$60 for a double-shielded RG-59 solution (double-shielded RG-6, I think, with 'Maxcable' and 'Soundlink' brands).

Cheers,

Ian

PS. The ultimate quality video solution would be to make 4 of your own quad-shielded RG-6 interconnects to replace the above store-bought twin-shielded Component Video and Composite Video cables. The total cost would then be slightly lower at ~$56 using Belden cable (if you already have a crimping kit).

I took the plunge and put a deposit down on a NEC 42XR3W with a stand this week. Unfortunately it won't be delivered till 15 November :blink: .

I had a lot of trouble finding one to look at and then a reseller took my order and then cancelled it when they realised they were not making enough margin on it!

Thanks to the comments in this thread for helping me make my mind up.

When I got my XM3 this week, (from e-Home, direct from NEC Sydney) it was supposed to be "the last one in the country".

Sway

I took the plunge and put a deposit down on a NEC 42XR3W with a stand this week. Unfortunately it won't be delivered till 15 November :blink: .

I had a lot of trouble finding one to look at and then a reseller took my order and then cancelled it when they realised they were not making enough margin on it!

When I got my XM3 this week, (from e-Home, direct from NEC Sydney) it was supposed to be "the last one in the country".

Sway

Sway would be correct about that

I spoke to Geoff and he has heaps on back order

I took the plunge and put a deposit down on a NEC 42XR3W with a stand this week. Unfortunately it won't be delivered till 15 November :P .

Sway

I tried to get a black stand for mine and there was none left in the country, according to NEC South Australia THEY CANT KEEP UP WITH THE DEMAND.

Oh Ive actually got the black frame plasma and its on a siver stand and bugger me it looks good. :blink:

Angelo