NEW NEC HD Plasma

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Long time browser first time poster ...

What's a reasonable/good price for 42xm3 + stand + teac dvb800 ?

thanks.

Hi Guys,

I spoke to Philip Vafiadis (VAF speakers) last night and mentioned the NEC latest gen models and price and he said he could do the same on the equivalent new model NEC which he said sheares the latest gen electronics!

(I can hear Glencol shuddering from here!!)

Can anyone verify that these look the same as I am buying speakers from VAF and can do a good package deal!

Dan.

Hi,

thanks.

Around $6,350 is a very good deal.

[edit]Ooops! Just saw the post above - so $6,050 would be an exceptional deal (this week) - though eHome does provide outstanding knowledge, service and support for the extra dollars.

Hi,

thanks.

Around $6,350 is a very good deal.

[edit]Ooops! Just saw the post above - so $6,050 would be an exceptional deal (this week) - though eHome does provide outstanding knowledge, service and support for the extra dollars.

Much appreciated. will try for around that.

btw : saw the XR panels @ NEC in Epping (thanks Big Al !) and was duely impressed.

Well got my replacement 50XM4 today.

Good news is this thing is even better than the 50xr4 in PQ !

Bad news is when the fans kick  in it sounds like a frign jumbo taking off  :blink:

You guys with the BLACK 42 version did you get a HDMI  cable with your plasma ?

Angelo

So you ended up getting the black model same as mine :P Regarding the fan, I had NEC techs look at mine and it was set to low in the service menu, but you can turn them off but not recommended I guess, unless you live in a cool climate. There was no HDMI cable with mine. I did get component leads with the NEC HD box.

PQ is stunning is it.

Big AL

Ian

I got a cable with the 50 silver model.

Do think if Im running a set of speakers which are not 9w at 6 ohm I may be drawing too much power causing the Plasma,s aux fans to kick in ?

Angelo

I don't think I mentioned that the fan is set to Low and is thermostatically controlled and Medium kicks in at 39 deg. and High at approx 51 deg.

Big AL

Just saw the 42" silver version of this panel at Clive Peeters in Aspley if anyone in Brisbane is interested. I must say I wasn't overly impressed with how they had it set up. Was running a very jerky and interrupted HDTV feed (windy outside). I've negotiated a good price and am going to go back tomorrow to buy it if my partner is happy with it. Can anyone suggest how to optimally set it up in store?

Also, I am a bit worried about buying a plasma panel as I will be using it with my HTPC and PS2 at least some of the time. How careful do you have to be to avoid burn-in. They had a 62" LG HD plasma on show which was severely burnt in with horizontal bars after playing cinematic feed "Gladiator" over and over again. If I play my PS2 for a few hours per week or have the Windows desktop up for an hour or two a day is this likely to be a problem?

Thanks in advance

sjobeck

Can anyone suggest how to optimally set it up in store?

It's almost a waste of time trying to get some stores to cooperate - while others will bend over backwards to help and learn.

At a minimum, it needs to be connected to a standalone HD-STB via DVI. This at least should not require any brightness or contrast adjustments to see a great PQ. Also ask them to use good quality interconnects so that the audition is not unduly influenced by the massive RF interference in a TV showroom (whether you believe in such things or not). Of course, I can recommend the TEAC DV-B800 for flawless DVI, but other forum favourites (Humax, LG, Toshiba) should be fine too.

Also, I am a bit worried about buying a plasma panel as I will be using it with my HTPC and PS2 at least some of the time. How careful do you have to be to avoid burn-in.

My 42XM3 was very sensitive to burn in (and colour 'blooming') for the first 2 days, but now it's fine. I'd still be hesitant to use a plasma with an HTPC or PS2 for frequent daily use or extended periods - though I plan to have the XBox and HTPC hooked up to mine soon for an occasional hour or two of fixed graphics on-screen per week. An LCD or DLP would be the smartest choice for frequent fixed graphics or static sharp edges (Windows or menus or 4:3) usage.

Hope this helps,

Ian

Ian

Do think if Im running a set of speakers which are not 9w at 6 ohm I may be drawing too much power causing the Plasma,s aux fans to kick in ?

Angelo

I don't think I mentioned that the fan is set to Low and is thermostatically controlled and Medium kicks in at 39 deg. and High at approx 51 deg.

Big AL

Yep got the black version. Ive turned off the wall feature it has and the fan noise has gone .

I guess because its the commercial version it must run all the fans on in that mode. Am I glad for that.

This one is a little brighter and the contrast is a bit deeper than the retail one , it does have different circuitry in it, which reminds me

Ive read someone buying the retail remote to operate the commercial plasma

DONT half the buttons dont work with it.

Angelo

Angelo

Yep got the black version. Ive turned off the wall feature it has and the fan noise has gone .

I guess because its the commercial version it must run all the fans on in that mode. Am I glad for that.

This one is a little brighter and the contrast is a bit deeper than the retail one , it does have different circuitry in it, which reminds me

Angelo

Angelo

Angelo, Where is the wall feature?

Big AL

Sorry if this has

Dude I just re-cabled my Toppu last night and bought the same Crest Scart to RGB converter as ijd did then using a pair of Crest Xstream components with a single Xtream composite video cable giving RGBs

Mate fan bloody tastic PQ is up 70% over the supplied cables

Ummm... sorry to sound like a moron, but can you spell that one out for me Glenn?

I've not heard of the Crest unit, where and how much $$ ?

I'm using SVID output at the moment, is that what you were using before?

I assume that the new Toppy will use component, or do you think that the Crest rig will work out better? I'm still on my old CRT, so I'm probably not going to spend much on upgrading my current Toppy's interconnect until the 7000 comes out.

Where have people seen the NEC unit on demo in Sydney?

Cheers,

Peter

The Crest adaptor is a Scart to RGB which gives you your Red Green and Blue connectors on the NEC you run to the Red Green abd blue on the BNC connections but also run a composite from the Toppy to the H BNC connector.

Thne change the BNC inptu via the menu to Scart 1

Great picture quality

I picked up the Creast adaptor from Retravision in Preston Melb for $20

Check here

http://www.crest.com.au/product.php?prodcode=PSA3

Now for the dumb ?'s :blink:

The connectors on the Scart Crest adaptor for the Toppy are RGB (RCA) and they connect to the NEC on to the BNC connections (RGBHV)........ so the cables need are RGB (RCA) to BNC ? ..... These just seem hard to find in the suggested cable brands ??

How does the audio get to the NEC ?

What is the composite from the Toppy to the H BNC connector for ?

Is there a reason why people are using the Crest Adaptor rather than just a single Scart to RGB cable ?

Oh the learning curve ! :P

Regards

Barry

Ian

Angelo

Big AL

Angelo

Angelo

Angelo,

Why did you swap from the silver to the black in the 50 ?

Interesting to hear the PQ is better, when I spoke to NEC they said there were only a couple of minor diff's like video wall etc. that were oriented to commercial uses ! .... obviously PQ is one !!!!

Have you discovered any other benefits in either model as "she Indoors" has a preference for the silver, but I would prefer PQ ?

Did you get the speakers ?

I think it was Ian (ijd) who was looking to get the silver remote !

Regards

Barry

Ian

Angelo

Big AL

Angelo

Angelo

Angelo,

Why did you swap from the silver to the black in the 50 ?

Interesting to hear the PQ is better, when I spoke to NEC they said there were only a couple of minor diff's like video wall etc. that were oriented to commercial uses ! .... obviously PQ is one !!!!

Have you discovered any other benefits in either model as "she Indoors" has a preference for the silver, but I would prefer PQ ?

Did you get the speakers ?

Regards

Barry

I also got the silver and swaped for the black

I wanted the black intitially but the as they idid not have black in stock i got the silver but changed the front face to black.

I can not see any difference on the 42" from the black to the silver in PQ only a few menu differences and the remote was different

Ian

Angelo

Big AL

Angelo

Angelo

Angelo,

Why did you swap from the silver to the black in the 50 ? I liked the look of the black one better

Interesting to hear the PQ is better, when I spoke to NEC they said there were only a couple of minor diff's like video wall etc. that were oriented to commercial uses ! .... obviously PQ is one = The balck version has different circuitry in it compared to the silver one!!!!

Did you get the speakers ? N0

Regards

Barry

Over all if you read the NEC brochures they keep bringing up the black model as their flagship, and yes the black one has definetly got a brighter and better pq.

Angelo

Also, I am a bit worried about buying a plasma panel as I will be using it with my HTPC and PS2 at least some of the time. How careful do you have to be to avoid burn-in.

These new panels do have a half life of 60,000 double that of LG you saw, but becarefull in the first 500-1000 hours of use, the phospors being fresh and new will decay a very rapid amount in the first several hundred hours, so any static images displayed for a long time will burn it in, after that initial run in period, the phosphor decay starts to flatten exponentially over time so you shouldn't worry too much about burning it afterwards.

<snip> ... which reminds me Ive read someone buying the retail remote to operate the commercial plasma

Angelo

<snip> ...

Barry

Yep. It was me who ordered the silver remote to replace the black one. Thanks for the warning, Angelo.

I was expecting the bottom button group on the silver remote to provide direct input selection (rather than cycling through the 3 buttons for the 7 inputs using the black remote) . The bottom button group on the black remote is for up-to-25-panel video-wall usage, which is obviously of no use to me at home!

I'll get in touch with eHome to see what they can advise on the important function buttons (on-off, menu navigation, zoom, mute, etc) when the 'retail' silver remote is used with a black panel, then let everyone here know the answer.

Cheers,

Ian

New NEC Plasma's ? in the - uk

appears same as models here now in aus but mention of a "stylish new smoky-glass stand or fixed to the wall using a range of brackets" which might be of interest to you guys.

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/shownews.php?id=7076

High Definition plasmas

* The highest contrast ratio and brightest screens on the market

* Life-span guarantee of 20 years with an average of 8 hours' use per day

* Industry-leading seven video, DVD, broadcast and PC inputs for optimum digital viewing quality

* Unique CCF™ colour correction technology

* DVI digital input compatible with HDCP, HDMI and HDTV signals

* Advanced Picture in Picture features on 50XR4 and 61XR3

Designed to make a lifestyle statement in any lounge, the plasma screens come in a smooth silver finish and feature newly developed, award winning , display panels. These maximise light efficiency, offering leading brightness to ensure the best possible viewing experience. In addition, the plasmas can be fine-tuned to maximise the image quickly from different inputs such as DVD, broadcast and gaming. Modifications can be saved ensuring the user can view all content at its optimum quality without resetting the screen each time.

To make the most of NEC's advanced technology, the plasmas can be displayed using the stylish new smoky-glass stand or fixed to the wall using a range of brackets. The screens also offer straightforward set-up with the menus and remote designed specifically with the Home Cinema user in mind.

All of the new models are available with an integrated tuner as an optional extra.

New NEC Plasma's ? in the - uk

appears same as models here now in aus but mention of a "stylish new smoky-glass stand or fixed to the wall using a range of brackets" which might be of interest to you guys.

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/shownews.php?id=7076

High Definition plasmas

* The highest contrast ratio and brightest screens on the market

* Life-span guarantee of 20 years with an average of 8 hours' use per day

* Industry-leading seven video, DVD, broadcast and PC inputs for optimum digital viewing quality

* Unique CCF™ colour correction technology

* DVI digital input compatible with HDCP, HDMI and HDTV signals

* Advanced Picture in Picture features on 50XR4 and 61XR3

Designed to make a lifestyle statement in any lounge, the plasma screens come in a smooth silver finish and feature newly developed, award winning , display panels. These maximise light efficiency, offering leading brightness to ensure the best possible viewing experience. In addition, the plasmas can be fine-tuned to maximise the image quickly from different inputs such as DVD, broadcast and gaming. Modifications can be saved ensuring the user can view all content at its optimum quality without resetting the screen each time.

To make the most of NEC's advanced technology, the plasmas can be displayed using the stylish new smoky-glass stand or fixed to the wall using a range of brackets. The screens also offer straightforward set-up with the menus and remote designed specifically with the Home Cinema user in mind.

All of the new models are available with an integrated tuner as an optional extra.

Would love to see the stand