NEW NEC HD Plasma

Hi Big Al

Check your PM.

Angelo

What is the difference between the black and silver models 50"- I have just had the sales rep at Len Wallis swear that there isn't one - The brochure dosent seem to suggest that there is.

Could you please put me out of my misery.

J.

I have the black 50" model and have viewed the silver model they are the same except for the colour of the frame. Black frames are harder to get so you have to order and wait. Black fits in better with the furniture.

Big AL

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Big Al

Check your PM.

Angelo

What is the difference between the black and silver models 50"- I have just had the sales rep at Len Wallis swear that there isn't one - The brochure dosent seem to suggest that there is.

Could you please put me out of my misery.

J.

I have the black 50" model and have viewed the silver model they are the same except for the colour of the frame. Black frames are harder to get so you have to order and wait. Black fits in better with the furniture.

Big AL

The only other things are the remotes and a couple of screen save options otrher than that nothing

I read on a len wallis - info-promotion in one of the aussie hifi mags (think it was the recent audio visual lifestyles) that there were difference in emitted radiation levels? between the commercial / domestic versions.

Presumably you get a pair of sunglasses with the commercial version! hehehe

Ian,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your question about the Magnat speakers, the guy I needed to speak to was overseas.

http://www.magnat.de/english/produkte/home...ealu.php#center

It seems that the importer is still considering the option of bringing the range into the country, but they will not be bringing in the Plasma 30 or 42 units as they say that most plasmas now have a speaker option..... so there goes that theory ! :blink:

If they do decide on the others, Videopro will be stocking them.

Regards

Barry

Ian,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your question about the Magnat speakers, the guy I needed to speak to was overseas.

http://www.magnat.de/english/produkte/home...ealu.php#center

It seems that the importer is still considering the option of bringing the range into the country, but they will not be bringing in the Plasma 30 or 42 units as they say that most plasmas now have a speaker option..... so there goes that theory !  :P

If they do decide on the others, Videopro will be stocking them.

Regards

Barry

Many thanks, Barry. I'll be heading down to Videopro this week since Geoff (eHome) also told me to look there for the Magnats (hmmmm ... I think I saw Magnats there a year or so ago?).

Geoff also mentioned the ELAC CM24* as an option. Does anyone know about these? He said they were german, so they should be 'crisp' enough for me! :blink:

Cheers,

Ian

[edit] * Thanks for the correction, Geoff.

Hi Guys

Just a quick note on the 50XM4(BLACK FRAME) and the 50XR4(SILVER FRAME)

Just to put things into perspective there is a major difference between the 2 apart from the colour.

Extra features found only on the 50xm4

Straight from NEC,s brouchure

"50xm4 achieves the highest contrast ratio 200:1 in bright conditions in the industry."

"The side by side screen mode has improved text + image "

"Digital AccuDevice= Clear,progressive high definintion images"

"Seamless switch function"

So as you can see there is quite abit of difference between the 2.

Angelo

Hi Guys

Just a quick note on the 50XM4(BLACK FRAME) and the 50XR4(SILVER FRAME)

Just to put things into perspective there is a major difference between the 2 apart from the colour.

Extra features found only on the  50xm4

Straight from NEC,s brouchure 

"50xm4 achieves the highest contrast ratio 200:1 in bright conditions in the industry."

"The side by side screen mode has improved text + image "

"Digital AccuDevice=  Clear,progressive high definintion images"

"Seamless switch function"

So as you can see there is quite abit of difference between the 2.

Angelo

Hey Angelo

Did this also apply to the 42"

"The highest ranking in the industry for contrast ratio of 200:1 for  bright conditions. The brightness is achieved in the pratical imaging range and reduces power consumption."

Err this isn't really something to be happy about, the whole issue about contrast ratios is that black appears black not grey. In bright conditions your eyes will take the grey produced by poorer contrast ratio plasmas and make it appear black. This is why in show rooms the blacks on plasma/lcd's can look good even though they have crappy contrast ratios. It's only in low light conditions where the greater percentage of light your eye recieves is from the panel where the greyish black performance of the panel becomes obvious. Ie the contrast ratio in darkness is the important thing when it comes to image quality. The absolute minimum light reading in nits is even more accurate.

I managed to check out 50 inch NEC, one thing I did note was the black performances wasn't the best. From impressions here I expected it to be better. I guess there is a reason why nec never state any contrast ratio measurements in their specs.

"The highest ranking in the industry for contrast ratio of 200:1 for  bright conditions. The brightness is achieved in the pratical imaging range and reduces power consumption."

Err this isn't really something to be happy about, the whole issue about contrast ratios is that black appears black not grey. In bright conditions your eyes will take the grey produced by poorer contrast ratio plasmas and make it appear black. This is why in show rooms the blacks on plasma/lcd's can look good even though they have crappy contrast ratios. It's only in low light conditions where the greater percentage of light your eye recieves is from the panel where the greyish black performance of the panel becomes obvious. Ie the contrast ratio in darkness is the important thing when it comes to image quality. The absolute minimum light reading in nits is even more accurate.

I managed to check out 50 inch NEC, one thing I did note was the black performances wasn't the best. From impressions here I expected it to be better. I guess there is a reason why nec never state any contrast ratio measurements in their specs.

I agree that the NEC is nowhere near panny blacks in a darkened environment.

This is not surprising considering that no other panel comes close to the Panny in this respect. However the pannys in this country are seriously input limited with respect to PAL resolutions at 50hz and the new viera is not new it is the model from nearly two years ago in Japan! We don't even get a DVI or HDMI input!!

The only other panel that matches the panny blacks is the fujitsu P50 or the 42 SD which both use panny sourced glass.

The Pioneer and the NEC are a good alround package (with argueably better processing/inputs) if you don't crave or miss the inky blacks the pannys can achieve in a dark room.

My 2 cents!

Dan.

PS

Mozmo,

I wonder what you feel the pio blacks are like versus the NEC?

Dan.

Pio blacks are a little worse I've found, I'd be keen to check out the newer LG panels with the advertised 5000:1 contrast ratios they should provide some good competition for the panasonics in the blacks arena.

In terms of nits the pioneer is around .5-.6 nits I've seen recorded in reviews, the nec usually gets around .4 nits, panasonic is .2 nits and the new X1 from sony which I suspect uses the newer LG glass that's advertised as 5000:1 does around .18 nits.

I agree the current viera range is very cripled input wise and expensive, which is a shame since the panasonic glass is top notch. But watch out for the korean boys, both lg and samsung have 5000:1 range panels comming out and I hear they have 8000:1 prototypes in the lab, which is around the absolute lowest you can go with phospors.

Pio blacks are a little worse I've found, I'd be keen to check out the newer LG panels with the advertised 5000:1 contrast ratios they should provide some good competition for the panasonics in the blacks arena.

In terms of nits the pioneer is around .5-.6 nits I've seen recorded in reviews, the nec usually gets around .4 nits, panasonic is .2 nits and the new X1 from sony which I suspect uses the newer LG glass that's advertised as 5000:1 does around .18 nits.

I agree the current viera range is very cripled input wise and expensive, which is a shame since the panasonic glass is top notch. But watch out for the korean boys, both lg and samsung have 5000:1 range panels comming out and I hear they have 8000:1 prototypes in the lab, which is around the absolute lowest you can go with phospors.

Whats your thoughts on LG and co's processing and reliability.

These factors are surely crucial in any purchase of this nature.

Dan.

Guest Mattrus1503559750
I am just curious if the NEC displays can display a PC desktop and therefore games @ 1920 x 1080 over DVI-D? or is the desktop on the NEC restricted to the 1024 x 728 native res' of the 42" Version?

It will internally rescale (as will any digital display) *any* input to its native 1024x768 as a 16:9 'Full' image (or a 768x768 4:3 pillarboxed 'Normal' image).

Desktop resolutions supported by the 42XM3W over DVI-D are (according to my manual):

640x480 @ 59.9/72.8/75/85/100.4/120.4Hz

852x480*

800x600 @ 56.3/60.3/72.2/75/85.1/99.8/120.0Hz

1024x768 @ 60/70.1/75/85/100.6Hz

1152x864 @ 75Hz

1280x768 @ 59.7/69.8Hz

1280x800*

1280x854*

1360x768*

1376x768 @ 59.9Hz

1280x1024 @ 60/75/85Hz

1680x1050*

1600x1200*

1920x1200*

* All these desktop resolutions @ 60Hz only over DVI (and in most cases for VGA/XGA analogue RGB also)

Cheers for the info Ian!

I've yet to see LG's latest offering (5000:1), the current XD processing panels out now seem to have decent video processing, I'd say the newer models just improve on the current processing adding more colour depth like other manufacturers. In terms of reliability well having owned a japanese made panel and have it blow up on me and become unrepairable outside of the standard 12month warranty period, I'm a believer in that for an expensive purchase such as this buying some form of extended warranty is a must a lot of the time having a dud unit is the luck of the draw. Build quality wise the LG's are pretty good I think especially for the money, they keep getting better and better with each new iteration. You can see why now the koreans have such a big chunk of the plasma market and with lcd they totally dominate that field in terms of production.

Whats your thoughts on LG and co's processing and reliability.

These factors are surely crucial in any purchase of this nature.

Dan.

Mozmo,

I also am interested in where you found those reviews - Are they the Peter Putnam tests? Were they the latest model Pio's and NEC's.

Also do you know whether the Sony X1 is coming out here?

Dan.

Is NEC on the nose with some retailers went to

1.JB Hi-fi [don't carry them]

2.Bing Lee [can order one but..]

3.Megamart[We have others that's a lot better]

4.Myers[what?..are you sure they make one..]

5.Sydney Hi-Fi[Hmmm...I'll ring up..]

all in the Parramatta area of Sydney

sorry guys would you believe I have not seen one yet :blink:

cheers laurie

Where did you say you seen the NEC

In a store not set up very well i suspect

Why dont you have a look at one well set up then make a call

Oh by the way were you looking at buying aplasma or tyreing kicking ?

I suspect tyre kicking and trying to discredit other for more knowledge than yourself giving you something to talk about in this thread Am i right?

I have been in the indusrty for 30 years and in all the threads i have read there are not to many people in here that have a clue whats going on myself and a few others in the industry sit back and have a good laugh at some of the crap spead around here.

Not all others if you want advise on audio , video and H\T in general honestly there are only a few that have good knowledge on these topics.

ijd , Groover ,glenncol , ritesh , alebonau

The others seem to argue very well with no foundation to the argument

Just my opinion

I suspect tyre kicking and trying to discredit other for more knowledge than yourself giving you something to talk about in this thread Am i right?

I have been in the indusrty for 30 years and in all the threads i have read there are not to many people in here that have a clue whats going on myself and a few others in the industry sit back and have a good laugh at some of the crap spead around here.

Not all others if you want advise on audio , video and H\T in general honestly there are only a few that have good knowledge on these topics.

Just my opinion

Giz your back - where you been? welcome back!

a word of advice ...stay away from that component leads thread - theyre still going at it mate!

Just my opinion

a word of advice ...stay away from that component leads thread - theyre still going at it mate!

I tried staying out of it but couldnt damn it

Just my opinion

Hi alebonau

Long time no chat

Yeah i know i have already seen the thread and had to make a comment (couldnt help meself)

Been doing a little traveling overseas so have'nt been around much

Just my opinion

I tried staying out of it but couldnt damn it

You causing trouble again :blink: