NEW NEC HD Plasma

Mate fan bloody tastic PQ is up 70% over the supplied cables

That's great news, Glenn!

... and it confirms all my previous interconnect advice (particularly for the very high frequency required for video interconnects) to all you doubting Thomas's out there. :blink:

Ian

i tried out the IXOS and VDH cables on the Toppy and must say picked up little more in PQ

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if this has

Dude I just re-cabled my Toppu last night and bought the same Crest Scart to RGB converter as ijd did then using a pair of Crest Xstream components with a single Xtream composite video cable giving RGBs

Ummm... sorry to sound like a moron, but can you spell that one out for me Glenn?

I've not heard of the Crest unit, where and how much $$ ?

I'm using SVID output at the moment, is that what you were using before?

I assume that the new Toppy will use component, or do you think that the Crest rig will work out better? I'm still on my old CRT, so I'm probably not going to spend much on upgrading my current Toppy's interconnect until the 7000 comes out.

Where have people seen the NEC unit on demo in Sydney?

Cheers,

Peter

Sorry if this has

Dude I just re-cabled my Toppu last night and bought the same Crest Scart to RGB converter as ijd did then using a pair of Crest Xstream components with a single Xtream composite video cable giving RGBs

Ummm... sorry to sound like a moron, but can you spell that one out for me Glenn?

I assume that the new Toppy will use component, or do you think that the Crest rig will work out better? I'm still on my old CRT, so I'm probably not going to spend much on upgrading my current Toppy's interconnect until the 7000 comes out.

Cheers,

Peter

Ring NEC at Epping and ask for a demo there, they have them all setup.

Big AL

Just had my NEC HD stb software upgraded and now can use my optic fibre cable to my yamaha RX620 amp. On Ch 9 HD Saturday they showed "The Negotiator" in HD and AC3 sound and WS and the sound was great. However, on Ch10 HD Sunday they showed "The Gladiator" supposedly in HD AC3 sound and the display was letter box (yet the movie is WS) and the sound was stereo, AC3 is suppose to be 5.1ch, what a con.

Big AL

Sorry if this has

Cheers,

Peter

The Toppy will do RGBs and i can tell you the Crest adaptor with Higher quality cables at 100% better

I am watching NYPD Blue at the moment and its amazing on the Toppy

Sorry if this has

Cheers,

Peter

The Crest adaptor is a Scart to RGB which gives you your Red Green and Blue connectors on the NEC you run to the Red Green abd blue on the BNC connections but also run a composite from the Toppy to the H BNC connector.

Thne change the BNC inptu via the menu to Scart 1

Great picture quality

I picked up the Creast adaptor from Retravision in Preston Melb for $20

Check here

http://www.crest.com.au/product.php?prodcode=PSA3

Sorry if this has

Cheers,

Peter

The Crest adaptor is a Scart to RGB which gives you your Red Green and Blue connectors on the NEC you run to the Red Green abd blue on the BNC connections but also run a composite from the Toppy to the H BNC connector.

Great picture quality

Check here

Glen can you stop doing this as the DARK SIDE of me is starting to come out

again and my wife will shoot me if I buy another toy !!!!

Angelo :ph34r:

Sorry if this has

Cheers,

Peter

Great picture quality

Check here

Glen can you stop doing this as the DARK SIDE of me is starting to come out

again and my wife will shoot me if I buy another toy !!!!

Angelo :ph34r:

lol

Sorry dude but the way i see it if i am getting into trouble i have to share the pain with some one :blink:

Just had my NEC HD stb software upgraded and now can use my optic fibre cable to my yamaha RX620 amp. On Ch 9 HD Saturday they showed "The Negotiator" in HD and AC3 sound and WS and the sound was great. However, on Ch10 HD Sunday they showed  "The Gladiator" supposedly in HD AC3 sound and the display was letter box (yet the movie is WS) and the sound was stereo, AC3 is suppose to be 5.1ch,  what a con.

Big AL

Hi Big Al,

The Gladiator was weird last night. :blink: I slept through most of it (tired, not bored), but had to switch the NEC to 2.35:1 to get a widescreen picture (thus chopping off top and bottom, because it came up pillar-boxed anamorphic on 16:9 'Full'!?!).

The sound was 5.1 (here in Brisbane) and wasn't too bad at all. Cancel that - I just remembered that the amp was showing 'ProLogic', so it must have been stereo (maybe with a surround matrix that the amp was able to find on top of the stereo signal - because the surround was quite good ... from memory ....... ).

Edited by ijd

This is such a great, helpfull and informative post !

The NEC and Hitachi 55" are both on display at HN & the Domain on the Gold Coast.

The NEC rocks !!! :blink:

"She Indoors" has given the go ahead and a 50" NEC is on :P , but it has to be in silver :P .....but I suppose I can live with that !

Had anyone seen or used the NEC wall mount, as our screen will be quite visible when viewed from the side, so a compact mount is needed.

With the Teac to NEC a DVI connection is the best ?

This is also probably a real dumb question, but what is the connection from the Teac to the surround amp ?

Ian, thanks for the comments re the speakers, will still have a go with your recomendations, but at worst use them only for general TV viewing and then mute for more aggressive needs, also lessens the need to run the amp and main speakers for general viewing.

How much were the speakers for the 42" ? ... they are around $ 660 for the 50" not real good value. Also looking at some Magnat aluminium units that look v.cool and are solid, they have some specifically for a 42" screen if you are interested.

http://www.magnat.de/english/produkte/home...ealu.php#center

Interesting comments re the Topfield and PQ, is there that much difference in PQ between HD from the Teac and SD from the Topfield ?

I was thinking of waiting until the new HD Topfield was released to get two tuners and recording in a single box, and forgo any recording until the new box is released...... opionions ?

Thanks

Barry

Just had my NEC HD stb software upgraded and now can use my optic fibre cable to my yamaha RX620 amp. On Ch 9 HD Saturday they showed "The Negotiator" in HD and AC3 sound and WS and the sound was great. However, on Ch10 HD Sunday they showed  "The Gladiator" supposedly in HD AC3 sound and the display was letter box (yet the movie is WS) and the sound was stereo, AC3 is suppose to be 5.1ch,  what a con.

Big AL

Hi Big Al,

The Gladiator was weird last night. :blink: I slept through most of it (tired, not bored), but had to switch the NEC to 2.35:1 to get a widescreen picture (thus chopping off top and bottom, because it came up pillar-boxed anamorphic on 16:9 'Full'!?!).

The sound was 5.1 (here in Brisbane) and wasn't too bad at all. Cancel that - I just remembered that the amp was showing 'ProLogic', so it must have been stereo (maybe with a surround matrix that the amp was able to find on top of the stereo signal - because the surround was quite good ... from memory ....... ).

I found gladiator in 4:3. Was it supposed to be in HD? - 4:3 and in HD? this is F'in criminal and sound was definetely DD2.0 - I didn't bother watching given this. Trust the networks to screwover a perfectly good film.

The NEC and Hitachi 55" are both on display at HN & the Domain on the Gold Coast.

The NEC rocks !!!    :blink:

"She Indoors" has given the go ahead and a 50" NEC is on    :P  , but it has to be in silver  :P  .....but I suppose I can live with that !

Had anyone seen or used the NEC wall mount, as our screen will be quite visible when viewed from the side, so a compact mount is needed.

This is also probably a real dumb question, but what is the connection from the Teac to the surround amp ?

Ian, thanks for the comments re the speakers, will still have a go with your recomendations, but at worst use them only for general TV viewing and then mute for more aggressive needs, also lessens the need to run the amp and main speakers for general viewing.

How much were the speakers for the 42" ?  ... they are around $ 660 for the 50" not real good value. Also looking at some Magnat aluminium units that look v.cool and are solid, they have some specifically for a 42" screen if you are interested.

http://www.magnat.de/english/produkte/home...ealu.php#center

Interesting comments re the Topfield and PQ, is there that much difference in PQ between HD from the Teac and SD from the Topfield ? 

I was thinking of waiting until the new HD Topfield was released to get two tuners and recording in a single box, and forgo any recording until the new box is released...... opionions ?

Thanks

Barry

Hey

I have the NEC 42 and have the Teac hooked up by DVI & Toppy by RGBS

The PQ on both units are fantastic i would give the Teac a good 9 out of 10 and the Toppy a 8 out of 10

At this stage i am not sure if the HD box is worth going to i am thinking stay with the Toppy and now we are looking at a group buy on the new Denon DVD's which use a DVI connection i think will stick with the Toppy and use th DVi for the Denon as when the Teac is hooked up by component there aint much diference between them

The NEC rocks !!!    :P

"She Indoors" has given the go ahead and a 50" NEC is on, but it has to be in silver  .....but I suppose I can live with that !

The remote that comes with the silver XRs has buttons for individual input select - whereas the remote for the black XMs replaces these with buttons for multi-panel video-wall usage. I already have a silver remote on back-order with eHome to replace my black one. :P

Since adding the speakers (which now hide my cables from side-view), I have cancelled my order for the [optional] cable cover. I also think that the extra width with the speakers will mask the fixed-position wall mount when I get one. NEC has two types of wall mount for the 42" and 50" X models: a 'Flat Wall Mount Kit' which sits the panel just 2.51" (~6cm) from the wall; and a 'Tilt Wall Mount Kit' which sits the panel 5.04" (~13cm) from the wall with a 15deg tilt range.

Definitely. But the difference is really only noticeable with 'true' HD material (ie. the 1920x1080 NineHD loop and a few 1440x1080 proggies). I think the Toppy RGBS PQ is as good as the TEAC DVI and XGA for everything else.

BTW ... EVERYBODY ... DON'T USE TEAC DV-B800 YPrPb ... unless you must!! I think that the TEAC DV-B800 Component (YUV/YPrPb) is inferior and needs a firmware update - but still waaaaaay better than Toppy YUV! It has over-saturated colour (compared with all my other sources). If you mixed TEAC YUV and Toppy YUV on a sytem that didn't allow for tuning colour, contrast and brightness on each input, you would be ready to sue someone!

Optical digital (Toslink). There is no coax option, else I would be using that because a coax connection is much more mechanically reliable than a Toslink one! Also, good coax video cable (way overkill!!) is just $10; Toslink fibre is $30 at Jaycar ($45 at HN)!

My thoughts exactly! I now turn them down to -11dB for [improved] CDs and music DVDs, then back up to about -2dB for [barely acceptable centre channel] FTA-TV and DVD movies. For those that missed the final edited verdict - have a look back here.

How much were the speakers for the 42"?  ... they are around $ 660 for the 50" not real good value.

Speak to Geoff at eHome (03 9563 5357 in Melbourne) or TV4Free (forum member and Gold Coast NEC dealer) about prices - mine were not a lot less than your 50" quote. They are only good value for me because of the slightly improved 2-ch* music results - and the fact that they hide my very thick bunch of interconnects from side view as one enters the room! :blink:

Also looking at some Magnat aluminium units that look v.cool and are solid, they have some specifically for a 42" screen if you are interested.http://www.magnat.de/english/produkte/home...ealu.php#center

Cool!!! Any idea who stocks them in Oz?

Yes. But see above.

I think you're *maaaaad* to wait for a Toppy for ANY reason! I will be getting an HD Toppy after it comes out and the price settles - then use my SD Toppy's two tuners for 4+3, SBS (& ABC?) SD timeslipping/recording to a 250Gb drive and the HD Toppy's two tuners for Nine, Ten (& ABC?) HD timeslipping/recording to much bigger drive/s!

Thanks

It's a pleasure!

Barry

Ian

* Note: For general 2-ch CD/DVD music listening, I use the "Unplugged" pseudo-surround setting on the Onkyo receiver. This lifts the low bass to make up for the lack of bass in my speakers, and extracts a bit of 'ambience' for the surround speakers - but still maintains an essentially 2-channel focus. All my music tests with the NEC speakers were with this setting.

For critical 2-ch listening, I can switch the Onkyo to "Direct Stereo" - for which the Onkyo disables all pre-amp processing (including video in/out!!) to maintain maximum sound purity!

Edited by ijd

To Anyone who now ones a Nec plasma just one which question.

If the 50xm4w was avalaible in a black frame(which it isnt), would it not be a better HD display than 50xr4w as it has extra features on it ?

I mean you can apply this to the 42 versions as well.

Just food for thought.

Angelo

if you find something better than this display then FRIGN BUY IT.

No way Angelo!! unless you have owned it I will not touch it :lol

cheers laurie

I think that's the best piece of advice for newbies here that I have ever seen, Laurie!!!!

If Angelo hasn't owned it (even for just 2 days!), then it isn't worth considering :ph34r: .... and if he has ever owned it for a month or two, then it is best in class/type/size/whatever. :blink:

Cheers Angelo ... 'coz this is the reason I threw 6 gorillas at it, sight unseen (though I did wait until the 3rd day before asking your opinion :P )!

To Anyone who now ones a Nec plasma just one which question.

If the 50xm4w was avalaible in a black frame(which it isnt), would it not be a better HD display than 50xr4w as it has extra features on it ?

I mean you can apply this to the 42 versions as well.

Just food for thought.

Angelo

Hi Angelo,

I have the 50XM4W (black frame) and the NEC NHD-1000 STB and there is no difference between 50XR4W (silver frame). Black frames are available if you order them. Both give the same great picture. I do have some info about the plasma menu which might interest you if you want to email me but I won't publish here.

Big AL

Guest Mattrus1503559750

OK.

I've got a question regarding a PC and the new 42" NEC display. I have the nice glossy magazine which has stack of info and pictures on the new NEC range. There is a picture in there of a Windows desktop and it is massive. I am just curious if the NEC displays can display a PC desktop and therefore games @ 1920 x 1080 over DVI-D? or is the desktop on the NEC restricted to the 1024 x 728 native res' of the 42" Version?

I am just curious if the NEC displays can display a PC desktop and therefore games @ 1920 x 1080 over DVI-D? or is the desktop on the NEC restricted to the 1024 x 728 native res' of the 42" Version?

It will internally rescale (as will any digital display) *any* input to its native 1024x768 as a 16:9 'Full' image (or a 768x768 4:3 pillarboxed 'Normal' image).

Desktop resolutions supported by the 42XM3W over DVI-D are (according to my manual):

640x480 @ 59.9/72.8/75/85/100.4/120.4Hz

852x480*

800x600 @ 56.3/60.3/72.2/75/85.1/99.8/120.0Hz

1024x768 @ 60/70.1/75/85/100.6Hz

1152x864 @ 75Hz

1280x768 @ 59.7/69.8Hz

1280x800*

1280x854*

1360x768*

1376x768 @ 59.9Hz

1280x1024 @ 60/75/85Hz

1680x1050*

1600x1200*

1920x1200*

* All these desktop resolutions @ 60Hz only over DVI (and in most cases for VGA/XGA analogue RGB also)