NEW NEC HD Plasma

Hi all,

based on the info n experience from experts on this forum.

I changed from wanting an Hitachi 5000TA to a NEC XM3W.

today i went and deposited on NEC PX-42XM3W (42"). i hope that im making the right decision. The panel and desktop stand cost me total $5,500. i didnt want to get the speakers aswell because its only Stereo.

stretched my limit to the max >__________<

i dont know much and dont have much currently.

but the following is what im thinking of getting (from reading on this forum)

So if you could recommend and fix up what i should buy n get would be much appreciated.

Home Theatre System (im looking for the long standing speakers to match the panel rather than small cube/rectangular boxes):

1. Sony DAV-SB300

RRP-$899

Full Specs click here

2. Panasonic SC-HT07

Receiver + 5.1 speaker pack

RRP: $999

Full Specs click here

So far thats the only 2 i can find. Would you recommend? I dont want top notch quality and expensive system that i cant afford. And also issit possible to sing Kareoke on this? as i would love to have Kareoke setup for my dad to enjoy.

Does that mean i have to hav an Amplifier or something :P

Secondly HD STB:

Teac DV-B800. would you recommend this for XM3W panel?

And most important. i dont have a clue what wiring is best for what.

Something about JB HIFI cables for $70?

can u recommend where to buy, price and what to buy to hook all these up?

Thankyou so much in advance

This forum is so helpful, but im in the middle of exams unable to search around further, so sorry for that.

Ryan

Summary:

Have: only NEC XM3W panel

Wants: (a) Sounds sys with kareoke (good value for money)

(:blink: HD STB

© what components/wiring needed to connect all these and price and place to purchase those comps/wirings.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2. Panasonic SC-HT07

I have recently purchased the Pana SC-HT07 and am very happy with it. There is a review on CNET on its little brother, the SC-HT05, which is very favourable. I managed to get mine for around $600, though it was via the Union Shopper. I'm in Brisbane btw.

Cheers.

Ian have you seen the Nec in action ?

I'll answer that question in a few hours, Angelo! For now, all I can say is: It's [just] arrived, it's black, and it's in one piece!

Btw, can you remember which was the best PQ output from your old Footy? RGB1 (VGA) or RGB2 (RGBHV)? ... or YUV?

Cheers,

Ian

Come Ian thats plenty enough time playing tells us what you think

Hey Glen

I ordered the MOMITSU V880N today, boy do I get the feeling they aint in a hurry to sell any or they must have alot of demand.

Angelo  :blink:

Hey Angelo, when the unit arrives can you post a review of it? I have been contemplating one of these god blessed units for a while now...

Have you ordered one yet?

I'll answer that question in a few hours, Angelo! For now, all I can say is: It's [just] arrived, it's black, and it's in one piece!

Hey Glen,

Nice unit - but what a sh!t of a day! I'll keep this to setup problems and do a full setup review tomorrow.

First I snapped one of my prized 20-yr-old 50+kg slabs of black italian marble that it was supposed to sit on - while trying to move it on my own in a rush to get set up! (Could have bought the TEAC DVI and a V880N with what it will cost to replace). Grrrrrrrrrrrrr .... Weeeeeeeeeeeep!!!!!!!!!

After bawling for a while, I started to work out how to use all the inputs to best effect with my 8 sources! Of course, after an hour or so planning the best swap from current setup [YUV and/or or S-vid via the receiver] ... the right combo of cables and terminators weren't on hand!! Ran down the road to Ideal Elec for a few bits - but no stock! Will head to Jaycar in the morning.

I can see why most people just use composite video, because it is like planning a trip to Mars to get the cabling options right with so many sources and inputs! After tomorrow, I will have a stack of spare medium-quality cables that are no longer useful - that were bought for the old TV and the same HT/sources!

Anyway, planned setup to panel is:

* RGBHV (Footy), RGBS (Toppy), YUV (DVD), S-Video (X-Box, S-VHS and VHS via receiver), and shared VGA (HTPC and Laptop).

* Coax and toslink digital plus analogue audio via HT. No sound to panel.

Decided to just look at Footy, Toppy and DVD briefly by swapping YUV cables on the single YUV input. Will connect up audio and adjust PQ with THX Optimiser and ABC test pattern when correct cables are on hand tomorrow.

So I finally turned on the unit and tried the Footy. Jeeeez, are they blind in the factory? Way too much brightness and contrast out of the box. No wonder people don't buy plasmas, if the manufacturers and retailers think that is how it should look at switch-on!!

Minor quirks:

* the Toppy does still look like sh!t via YUV!

* the connection panel on the right side is too visible - particularly with sturdy interconnects and the huge number of inputs. Would prefer a media box with a single cable to the panel.

* the supplied power cable was a US-type. Lucky the stand also included an Oz one!

* haven't yet worked out how to set PQ separately for each input. Any hints?

Good things: Will report tomorrow,

Verdict: No regrets yet (other than not being better prepared).

<end frustrated ramble>

Hey Glen,

Nice unit - but what a sh!t of a day! I'll keep this to setup problems and do a full setup review tomorrow.

First I snapped one of my prized 20-yr-old 50+kg slabs of black italian marble that it was supposed to sit on - while trying to move it on my own in a rush to get set up! (Could have bought the TEAC DVI and a V880N with what it will cost to replace). Grrrrrrrrrrrrr .... Weeeeeeeeeeeep!!!!!!!!!

After bawling for a while, I started to work out how to use all the inputs to best effect with my 8 sources! Of course, after an hour or so planning the best swap from current setup [YUV and/or or S-vid via the receiver] ... the right combo of cables and terminators weren't on hand!! Ran down the road to Ideal Elec for a few bits - but no stock! Will head to Jaycar in the morning.

I can see why most people just use composite video, because it is like planning a trip to Mars to get the cabling options right with so many sources and inputs! After tomorrow, I will have a stack of spare medium-quality cables that are no longer useful - that were bought for the old TV and the same HT/sources!

Anyway, planned setup to panel is:

* RGBHV (Footy), RGBS (Toppy), YUV (DVD), S-Video (X-Box, S-VHS and VHS via receiver), and shared VGA (HTPC and Laptop).

* Coax and toslink digital plus analogue audio via HT. No sound to panel.

Decided to just look at Footy, Toppy and DVD briefly by swapping YUV cables on the single YUV input. Will connect up audio and adjust PQ with THX Optimiser and ABC test pattern when correct cables are on hand tomorrow.

So I finally turned on the unit and tried the Footy. Jeeeez, are they blind in the factory? Way too much brightness and contrast out of the box. No wonder people don't buy plasmas, if the manufacturers and retailers think that is how it should look at switch-on!!

Minor quirks:

* the Toppy does still look like sh!t via YUV!

* the connection panel on the right side is too visible - particularly with sturdy interconnects and the huge number of inputs. Would prefer a media box with a single cable to the panel.

* the supplied power cable was a US-type. Lucky the stand also included an Oz one!

* haven't yet worked out how to set PQ separately for each input. Any hints?

Good things: Will report tomorrow,

Verdict: No regrets yet (other than not being better prepared).

<end frustrated ramble>

I Have great faith dude you will get there

Have fun its a blast

Waiting to hear more

Hi all,

based on the info n experience from experts on this forum.

I changed from wanting an Hitachi 5000TA to a NEC XM3W.

today i went and deposited on NEC PX-42XM3W (42"). i hope that im making the right decision. The panel and desktop stand cost me total $5,500. i didnt want to get the speakers aswell because its only Stereo.

stretched my limit to the max >__________<

i dont know much and dont have much currently.

but the following is what im thinking of getting (from reading on this forum)

So if you could recommend and fix up what i should buy n get would be much appreciated.

Home Theatre System (im looking for the long standing speakers to match the panel rather than small cube/rectangular boxes):

1. Sony DAV-SB300

RRP-$899

Full Specs click here

2. Panasonic SC-HT07

Full Specs click here

So far thats the only 2 i can find. Would you recommend? I dont want top notch quality and expensive system that i cant afford. And also issit possible to sing Kareoke on this? as i would love to have Kareoke setup for my dad to enjoy.

Does that mean i have to hav an Amplifier or something :P

Secondly HD STB:

Teac DV-B800. would you recommend this for XM3W panel?

This is the way Ive gone and its brillant.And most important. i dont have a clue what wiring is best for what.

Something about JB HIFI cables for $70?

can u recommend where to buy, price and what to buy to hook all these up?

DVI is the way to go, just get one which isnt any longer than 2 meters if you can help it.

Thankyou so much in advance

This forum is so helpful, but im in the middle of exams unable to search around further, so sorry for that.

Ryan

Summary:

Have: only NEC XM3W panel

Wants: (a) Sounds sys with kareoke (good value for money)

(:blink: HD STB

© what components/wiring needed to connect all these and price and place to purchase those comps/wirings.

Well done one your choice, I must say as much as I liked the Hitachi the NEC is just so much better.

Let us know what you think of it when you get it.

Cheers Angelo

Quick update after a half-arsed THX Opto of YUV from an LG DVD player that crushes whites, blacks and greys:

AWESOME clarity! Cobbled together an RGBHV(RCAs->BNCs)->VGA from the Footy just in time to see Elle's models on Nine 1080i news!! :P:blink:

Colour is still f*d though [see edit notes below]. Anyone in/near New Farm with DVE and the blue thingy who would like to drop in for a coffee?

PS. Just had my first phosphor burn too! Accidentally left the THX Optimiser on the Contrast test for an hour while I was out. Nice square section in the middle now. Thank god today only has 10 minutes left!!

[Edit Note1: This is my fault for playing with the colour settings while optimising from a crappy LG DVD player - not the NEC's colour handling/quality which so far seems to be excellent].

[Edit Note2: The square 'burn' has gone this morning - phew!]

Edited by ijd

Ian

I just hope your not going to be like me, I still havent stopped changing and swapping cables.

So much so Ive got the plasma connected on the Teac HDSTD via component and dvi because some shows look better on one than the other.

Angelo

Hey Angelo and/or Glen,

What 'colour' and 'tint' settings are you using for a good analogue RGB (not DVI) source?

And I agree with you guys: I'm glad I could only [half] afford a 42". I'm sure I couldn't handle 50" from 3m for FTA TV.

AWESOME clarity! Cobbled together an RGBHV(RCAs->BNCs)->VGA from the Footy just in time to see Elle's models on Nine 1080i news!!  :P  :blink:

That news (I'm assuming Nightline) is upconverted and the stories on it go through analogue conversions during editing. I wouldn't use it to calibrate your colour settings as the analogue links suck out the colour.

AWESOME clarity! Cobbled together an RGBHV(RCAs->BNCs)->VGA from the Footy just in time to see Elle's models on Nine 1080i news!!  :P  :blink:

That news (I'm assuming Nightline) is upconverted and the stories on it go through analogue conversions during editing. I wouldn't use it to calibrate your colour settings as the analogue links suck out the colour.

Thanks, Champion.

I noticed that too (no visible difference between 9 and 90 - plus a few bad clips edited in with some good ones). I'm waiting for the 90 loop tomorrow afternoon before offering any definitive FTA PQ comments.

Btw, that sci-fi thing - watermarked with the '9 High Definition' logo - that followed the news looked OK, but not great, when I briefly looked at it. Do you know if that is also an up-convert?

Ian

I just hope your not going to be like me, I still havent stopped changing and swapping cables.

So much so Ive got the plasma connected on the Teac HDSTD via component and dvi because some shows look better on one than the other.

Angelo

Hey Angelo and/or Glen,

What 'colour' and 'tint' settings are you using for a good analogue RGB (not DVI) source?

And I agree with you guys: I'm glad I could only [half] afford a 42". I'm sure I couldn't handle 50" from 3m for FTA TV.

Hey Ian

I will look into it tonight when i get home

Can someone suggest what would be the best connection for this unit to the Toppy?

I get my NEC next week & made my decision partly because of this forum. I am sick of other people telling me however that the Fujitsu & Pioneer are superior. Keep telling me everyone how fantastic this display is. I will add my comments next week.

Can anyone recommend a first-rate* ~2m XGA->XGA cable? Jaycar maybe?

Ta,

Ian

* You know - well shielded and with decent conductors - so that it won't pick up RF and other interference while snaking through the nest of wires at the back of my rack! Thermionically-aligned linear-platinum argon-free-silver crystals are not required - just very good engineering.

Ian

Angelo

Hey Angelo and/or Glen,

I,ve noticed and mate I gotta tell you its a real pain, you need to caibrate every setting from xga,s-video,dvi,composite and commponent , as the color varies from each input. I,m still working on all mine, I should be finished by the year 2010 ! :blink:

Angelo

OH MY GOD!! This NEC 42" panel blows everything else out of the water!! (Sorry Fujitsu - i'm not in love with you any more and want a divorce!)

... and this comes from a partially set up panel being driven by a FOOTY!

Thank you sooooo much Angelo and Glen for your enthusiastic encouragement! I believed in you and my faith has been handsomely rewarded. Hallelujiah!!!

So far have only seen about a third of the NineHD loop (with no sound yet) - but couldn't wait to tell everyone that ....

This panel is a triumph of great electronics and firmware over simple panel glass specs!

Now to go out and find a TEAC DV-B800, a DVI-D cable ... and a cheap alternative to cigarettes so that I can pay for all this. :P:blink:

Sell the car if you have to, this baby's a winner!

Ian

[edits]

Edit1: Message to QTQ9: You do need to get some better equipment for your next contribution to the loop.

Edit2: There is a tiny bit of jitter - but i'm blaming this on the footy or the 25fps source material for the moment. More on this later. There are NO other artifacts whatsoever!

Edit3: The "Puffing Billy" clip is p-e-r-f-e-c-t!! (apart from the jerkiness of 25fps movement).

Edit4: The Melbourne clips are absolutely breathtaking! No macroblocking even in "the duck scene". I have never seen these so faultless before (even my Fusion breaks up here). And the colours are maybe better than the Fuji. Makes the Viera 42" look like an SD panel. [Maybe we should rename the Viera 42 to the "Norwegian Blue"? Beautiful plumage ... but still an ex-parrot!] :P

Edit5: The fan is only audible for 1-2 seconds on turnon. It can be heard at any time if you put your ears within a foot of the top left corner. I closed all doors and windows to the outside world (in a very soundproof apartment) and turned off all audio equipment. Could hear nothing from 1m.

[/edits]

Edited by ijd

OH MY GOD!! This NEC 42" panel blows everything else out of the water!! (Sorry Fujitsu - i'm not in love with you any more and want a divorce!)

Thank you sooooo much Angelo and Glen for your enthusiastic encouragement! I believed in you and my faith has been handsomely rewarded. Hallelujiah!!!

So far have only seen about a third of the NineHD loop (with no sound yet) - but couldn't wait to tell everyone that ....

This panel is a triumph of great electronics and firmware over simple panel glass specs!

Now to go out and find a TEAC DB800, a DVI-D cable ... and a cheap alternative to cigarettes so that I can pay for all this. :P  :blink:

Ian

PS. Message to QTQ9: You do need to get some better equipment for your next contribution to the loop.

PPS. There is a tiny bit of jitter - but i'm blaming this on the footy or the source material for the moment. More on this later. There are NO other artifacts whatsoever!

I knew you would be happy

No ho wis the Toppy on the NEC

Now to go out and find a TEAC DB800, a DVI-D cable ... and a cheap alternative to cigarettes so that I can pay for all this. :P  :blink:

Ian

PS. Message to QTQ9: You do need to get some better equipment for your next contribution to the loop.

PPS. There is a tiny bit of jitter - but i'm blaming this on the footy or the source material for the moment. More on this later. There are NO other artifacts whatsoever!

I knew you would be happy

Now how is the Toppy on the NEC