NEW NEC HD Plasma

I would be interested in a group buy.  Does someone want to do some negotiations with someone reputable and see what price we can get ?

Rob.

Guys i got mine through eHome in Melb and am very impressed with the service and price.

They will ship all over Australia have a chat to Geoff out there and see what you can do

Oops! my first post was an inauspicious start forme on this forum!!

My question is to ask those in adelaide where I could go to see these units in operation. I went to sound vision studio on greenhill road but theirs was poorly setup and they would not demo dvd for me.

I would like to buy either the 42 or the 50 if I can see one that I am happy with.

The one I saw did not compare well with the fujitsu p50 across the room - jerky motion and grey blacks although colour was great and no noise in image.

I have a room where I will be sitting 3.5 metres back and I have to say I am keen to go with the NEC as I want dvi or hdmi and these units seem to take all resolutions whereas the pannys and others have limited compatability.

All of Groover and Glenncol's glowing reports have me intrigued!!

Okay now whats going on here. When I went to sound and vision studios they had the 50 inch in their main Theatre Room hung up as their main plasma and it was brillant !

I still cannot see how on eath anyone pay the money that they ask for the Fuji and not notice the solarisation, clay faces colour and the dancing pixels on it !!!

Mind you I always thought the Fuji and Pioneer were the best panels around until the Nec came out.

Angelo

Yeah, it doesn't seem right to me either, I think they are running a switch box on the NEC which won't help. They also admitted they don't adjust the sets, just straight out the box which could explain the glowing blacks!

PS angelo you have a pm.

Dan.

Yep got it, now check yours.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been through a few STB's and not happy with any of them due to pixelisation so i would be very happy with a Toppy if the PQ is good.

If I get any pixelisation with the NEC, you will see a very tall ex-second-rower - wearing a deerstalker; following some hounds; cradling a 'Holland & Holland' 12-gauge over-and-under - out looking for an italian friend of yours!

No pixelisation here in Adelaide.

Angelo

Shut up, dogs! We're not going out after all. :P

Good to see you threw them a bone. :blink:

Just one word of advise I would give you Ian and forget the Toppy, you now have one of the best panels around so try the Teac on DVI and get ready for your mouth to drop !!!!

Angelo

Just one word of advise I would give you Ian and forget the Toppy, you now have one of the best panels around so try the Teac on DVI and get ready for your mouth to drop !!!!

Angelo

If only, Angelo! Unfortunately, I will be waiting a little while to get a Teac DVI box to fully exploit the panel.

In the meantime, the NEC will have to live on a diet of Footy and Toppy and ps-DVD - but I'm sure they will look 3,000 times better through this panel than they do through my LG 76cm! So it will still be money well spent. :blink:

Of course, if the Footy is really as bad as you guys know it is via RGBHV - and I really can't live with it - then I might just have to give up smoking for a few weeks and shell out now for a Teac DVI. :P

Cheers,

Ian

Btw, Geoff at eHome is unreal!! The stand has just arrived .... 3 working-hours after I ordered it from 2,000km away! Fingers still crossed for the panel today ......

Angelo

If only, Angelo! Unfortunately, I will be waiting a little while to get a Teac DVI box to fully exploit the panel.

In the meantime, the NEC will have to live on a diet of Footy and Toppy and ps-DVD - but I'm sure they will look 3,000 times better through this panel than they do through my LG 76cm! So it will still be money well spent. :blink:

Of course, if the Footy is really as bad as you guys know it is via RGBHV - and I really can't live with it - then I might just have to give up smoking for a few weeks and shell out now for a Teac DVI. :P

Cheers,

Ian

Btw, Geoff at eHome is unreal!! The stand has just arrived .... 3 working-hours after I ordered it from 2,000km away! Fingers still crossed for the panel today ......

Clear a space for it dude if you are like me i was un packing it while walking in the front door

I have been through a few STB's and not happy with any of them due to pixelisation so i would be very happy with a Toppy if the PQ is good.

If I get any pixelisation with the NEC, you will see a very tall ex-second-rower - wearing a deerstalker; following some hounds; cradling a 'Holland & Holland' 12-gauge over-and-under - out looking for an italian friend of yours!

No pixelisation here in Adelaide.

Angelo

Shut up, dogs! We're not going out after all. :P

Good to see you threw them a bone. :blink:

Angelo

Did it turn up dude ?

Did it turn up dude ?

Nope! :P It left Sydney yesterday, but the courier was kidnapped by some guy in a red suit and a bunch of reindeer!

Hopefully tomorrow? :blink:

Bloody Santa again :P

Hate to be you trying to sleep tonight

The worst of it is that I can only sit at the computer firing off meaningless posts to the forum while waiting for the doorbell to ring!

On top of that, the LG has gone to storage and the living room looks like Baghdad.

Everyone will be happier when it arrives!

Did it turn up dude ?

Nope! :P It left Sydney yesterday, but the courier was kidnapped by some guy in a red suit and a bunch of reindeer!

Hopefully tomorrow? :blink:

Bloody Santa again :P

Hate to be you trying to sleep tonight

The worst of it is that I can only sit at the computer firing off meaningless posts to the forum while waiting for the doorbell to ring!

On top of that, the LG has gone to storage and the living room looks like Baghdad.

Everyone will be happier when it arrives!

lol I i know how you feel when i have a new toy coming i pace the house like a mad man.

Now i am all toyed up i am sitting here thinking what i need next and i really think its a toppy

What price are people getting them for now that the HD has increased in size

Now i am all toyed up i am sitting here thinking what i need next and i really think its  a toppy

Glen,

Unless there is some firmware advantage in the 120Gb (anyone?), I reckon you should pick up an 80Gb for $750 (HN will price-match) and immediately swap a quiet 200-250Gb drive into it before you start recording anything!

If you watch a bit of TV but at inconvenient times, then the extra space will come in very handy. I sometimes record a stack of L&O, CSI, Dr.Phil, 7:30, etc during the week - then watch them all on an idle weekend or a mid-week break. My TV hasn't even been turned on since the NEC hunt started - but the Toppy is still gathering stuff for me to watch over the next few days with the new panel!

This is why I call the Toppy a "life-altering experience"! No more rushing home to catch a favourite prog. No more ignoring the phone as a movie reaches a climax. Feeling peckish in the middle of an ad break? - just hit 'pause' and head out for a pizza!

The only proviso: I'm still apprehensive about possible PQ of the Toppy (SD only) RGBS next to a Teac HD-DVI box - or in my case, next to the Footy! Most here will say "don't worry, it'll be great", but many say the same about Toppy s-vid and YUV and I just wonder what they smoke and where I can get some!

Good luck,

Ian

Now i am all toyed up i am sitting here thinking what i need next and i really think its  a toppy

Glen,

Unless there is some firmware advantage in the 120Gb (anyone?), I reckon you should pick up an 80Gb for $750 (HN will price-match) and immediately swap a quiet 200-250Gb drive into it before you start recording anything!

If you watch a bit of TV but at inconvenient times, then the extra space will come in very handy. I sometimes record a stack of L&O, CSI, Dr.Phil, 7:30, etc during the week - then watch them all on an idle weekend or a mid-week break. My TV hasn't even been turned on since the NEC hunt started - but the Toppy is still gathering stuff for me to watch over the next few days with the new panel!

This is why I call the Toppy a "life-altering experience"! No more rushing home to catch a favourite prog. No more ignoring the phone as a movie reaches a climax. Feeling peckish in the middle of an ad break? - just hit 'pause' and head out for a pizza!

The only proviso: I'm still apprehensive about possible PQ of the Toppy (SD only) RGBS next to a Teac HD-DVI box - or in my case, next to the Footy! Most here will say "don't worry, it'll be great", but many say the same about Toppy s-vid and YUV and I just wonder what they smoke and where I can get some!

Good luck,

Ian

If you dont mind dude when you get the NEC i would love ot hear ablow by blow what you think of the toppy on the plasma

If you dont mind dude when you get the NEC i would love ot hear  ablow by blow what you think of the toppy on the plasma

No probs mate! My Toppy must work properly with the NEC - irrespective of cost! The Footy will only ever be used for live viewing of some special HD event.

Ian

Try the s-video on the Nec from the Toppy and I think  you will be very happy.

I threw away my RBG to Component converter as it wasnt as good as S-video on my plasma !!

Now thats a 1st.

Angelo

Did you order the mom

The good thing about the toppy now is they supply a Scart to component cable

Hey Glen

I ordered the MOMITSU V880N today, boy do I get the feeling they aint in a hurry to sell any or they must have alot of demand.

I rang 3 times in the last week to order one and was told ring back tomorrow !!

Get the feeling if something goes wrong with it Im up Sh#t creek without a paddle.

Angelo :blink:

Ian

I threw away my RBG to Component converter as it wasnt as good as S-video on my plasma !!

Now thats a 1st.

Angelo

Did you order the mom

The good thing about the toppy now is they supply a Scart to component cable

From what Ive been told from the rep the S-video is still the best connection.

Hey Glen

I ordered the MOMITSU V880N today, boy do I get the feeling they aint in a hurry to sell any or they must have alot of demand.

I rang 3 times in the last week to order one and was told ring back tomorrow !!

Get the feeling if something goes wrong with it Im up Sh#t creek without a paddle.

Angelo  :blink:

I think we will be ok Michael from Com-Tek appears on here and dont think they would want a bad rep which can hurt

Hey Glen

Angelo  :blink:

Hey Angelo, when the unit arrives can you post a review of it? I have been contemplating one of these god blessed units for a while now...

Ddarby

I have compared the momitsu V880N to both the Denon 2800 and 2900 via the NEC XR3 and can tell you its pretty bloody good in terms of percentage i would put it at 95% on each of the Denons.

Sound quality would be the same on my smaller system but have not tried it on my main system as yet.

The first thing ot do is calibrate your display which goes without saying and bango bingo jaw drop time.

The video streaming works atreat i have upgraded to a gigabit link from server to hub and run a 100Mb link to the Mom leaving enough bandwidth for the future XBOX mod to stream and play games.

The Blue light that comes on when connected to the network is a little annoyhing but i can live with it.

The unit has afair bit of weight in it but the remote is a little dickie than again i will be transfering to a learner remote.

All in all i would give it a good 7 out of 10 and a 10 out of 10 for value

another bonus is that fact that Mom is going to release a Video input board that will allow input of either another DVD or STB that will be upconverted to 576p 720p or 1080i

Ian

Now thats a 1st.

Angelo

A first for you throwing something away, Angelo? I think not!!! :blink: (Then again, I'm throwing away a very large turd with the LG ... and I'm even embarassed to give it away to a family member! Maybe I can pay my daughter back for all that grief during her teenage years by giving it to her? Ahhhh ... there's a plan!).

Anyway, how does the NEC store calibrations? Am I correct in assuming that each input is independently calibrated?

With the LG TV, there was only one global setting shared between all inputs. This is what caused me grief with the Toppy's s-vid and YUV - because the other 4 sources would have been stuffed if I adjusted for good Toppy PQ.

Ian

A first for you throwing something away, Angelo? I think not!!!

Yeah your right Ive still got it. Just incase the NEC has to go back(just joking!!! :blink: )

Anyway, how does the NEC store calibrations? Am I correct in assuming that each input is independently calibrated?

Correct.

Ian have you seen the Nec in action ?

Angelo

Which can only mean NEC provided better circuits for that connection knowing the majority of people may not have component or higher inputs!

another bonus is that fact that Mom is going to release a Video input board that will allow input of either another DVD or STB that will be upconverted to 576p 720p or 1080i

Glen

With what input! composite/s-video/component/DVI??

cheers laurie

Which can only mean NEC provided better circuits for that connection knowing the majority of people may not have component or higher inputs!

Glen

With what input! composite/s-video/component/DVI??

cheers laurie

Very good question

I was refering to DVI on the mom but the component input is not that far behind it i think its pretty damn good

I'll answer that question in a few hours, Angelo! For now, all I can say is: It's [just] arrived, it's black, and it's in one piece!

Btw, can you remember which was the best PQ output from your old Footy? RGB1 (VGA) or RGB2 (RGBHV)? ... or YUV?

Cheers,

Ian

I'll answer that question in a few hours, Angelo! For now, all I can say is: It's [just] arrived, it's black, and it's in one piece!

Btw, can you remember which was the best PQ output from your old Footy? RGB1 (VGA) or RGB2 (RGBHV)? ... or YUV?

Cheers,

Ian

Cool.........RGB2 is the way to go !!!!

Ive seen the footy on the NEC and she aint too bad either.

Angelo