NEW NEC HD Plasma

Angelo,

I have a couple of questions about the new 50" NEC unit:

- How hot does your new NEC plasma get? =Not hot at all DO you think it would build up heat if enclosed in a cabinet?=Thats hard to answer I live in Brisbane and it gets pretty hot up here for most of the year.

- Would you say that the fan is noisy during quiet movie passages?= You actually get used to it, I dont hear it any more

- Do you have an upscaling set top box or PC which can make the NEC display at its native panel resolution (768 x 1366) at 50/75 or 100Hz?= Im just running a HD STB

- Do you notice any judder on the unit?= yes but you see it on all 50inch plasmas from close up.

- How well does the plasma resolve details in dark scenes (eg. in comparison the the panasonic which has the best contrast ratio)?= The NEC is brillant on this and its better than the Panasonic.

Regards.

Dean

Angelo

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another feature of this panel is the amount of inputs its got.

Ive got a DVD player on component,Foxtel on s-video ( which for some reason gives me the same PQ as RGB convertered to component!)Video and free to air Sat on composite, HD TV on DVI WHICH STILL LEAVES A COMPONENT AND XGA FREE !!

Angelo

With regards to being scared of having a grainy effect if sitting to close I was in HN at Noarlunga when they were setting up the NEC. I was stood very close to it & noticed that it was still very clear even up close. That was actually my first impression of it.

The Pioneers however did look grainy at the same distance although they were running component as apposed to DVI on the NEC which may have made some sort of difference.

When the NEC was set up the sales staff got every other sales staff over to have a look at it. The general consensus was that it was the best display that they had all seen!

Thats the one, wow they want $150 for the same thing.

That's what I thought Angelo it's getting to the stage accessories are costing heaps I had to change my print cartidges the other day and when I found out the price I just got a new printer instead :blink:

cheers laurie

Well it had to happen or else my name would not be Angelo.

The fan noise did seem very loud last night, so I check out the display model in the shop and you guessed it.

Mine is 3 times louder..... Nec has come out and said it does seem louder than normal.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Angelo :blink:

Well it had to happen or else my name would not be Angelo.

The fan noise did seem very loud last night, so I check out the display model in the shop and you guessed it.

Mine is 3 times louder..... Nec has come out and said it does seem louder than normal.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Angelo :blink:

Relax dude its only the fan remember the PQ

How warm is your room angelo? The fans may be temperature controlled so if your room or the area is too warm the unit may run the fans faster to help cool the unit. Remember that the display unit you saw probably was in an air conditioned environment. I used to notice the fans would speed up on my older unit if the temperature was very hot.

How warm is your room angelo? The fans may be temperature controlled so if your room or the area is too warm the unit may run the fans faster to help cool the unit. Remember that the display unit you saw probably was in an air conditioned environment. I used to notice the fans would speed up on my older unit if the temperature was very hot.

I had thr Marantz which is a rebadged NEC and even when the misses had the ducted heating up to Hell on earth temp i could not hear the fans so if Angelo can hear them to a point of being annoying there is something wrong

Hearing the fans is relative the amount of the noise, if you watch tv at a loud volume it will drown out the noise, display showrooms are noising so a lot of the nosie is drowned out. So I guess it all depends on when he's watching the thing and at what times, ie I used to notice the fan noise was very annoying late at night when I had the volume down very low. But otherwise at higher volumes it wasn't noticable. So I guess that needs to be taken into account.

Hearing the fans is relative the amount of the noise, if you watch tv at a loud volume it will drown out the noise, display showrooms are noising so a lot of the nosie is drowned out. So I guess it all depends on when he's watching the thing and at what times, ie I used to notice the fan noise was very annoying late at night when I had the volume down very low. But otherwise at higher volumes it wasn't noticable. So I guess that needs to be taken into account.

When i got the Marantz home i tested for fan noise the very first night and with everything off in the house i could just bearly hear it sitting 3 meters away

Quite true, another thing is the size of the room and reflective surfaces etc.

Whenever I buy a new computer, and put it in my study, the thing sounds so loud, due to the shape of the room and the reflective surfaces. Usualy changing the stock fan is the first thing I do.

Might be a similar issue here.... perhaps the room might be amplifying the noise, and also the fan might be running faster once the temperate is above certain limit (as was suggested earlier in this thread...)

Anyway, would be interesting to see how you go Angelo...

cheers,

Ritesh

I purchased an NEC PC-50XM4W plasma 2 weeks ago including stand and NEC HD stb for $8,030 including delivery. This was a limited special deal. The XM4W is the Black model. The picture is stunning and I watch from about 3m away and have no problems with viewing distance. Watching HD pictures takes your breath away. I have my STB and DVD player connected via component cables and my satellite box via S cable. The satellite pq is excellent as good as dvd. Only problem I can find is the fan noise can be heard during low sound output. I was going to buy the Panasonic 50" Viera series but changed my mind and now glad I did as this NEC has DVI input. I was told HDCP (high definition content protection) compliancy allows you to view HDTV signals through the DVi connection that are copyright protected. If you do not have HDCP compliancy, you will just see snow on the screen. But it's ok when using component cable.

Hope that helps.

And thats why I made sure the plasma I bought didn't have a fan in it - nothing more anoying than a fan going off or switching speeds during the quiet scenes of a movie. With a fan inside the panel thers no guarantees even if its reasonably quiet now that it doesn't start making some noises further down the track. Even my HT amp does not have a fan.

The HDCP thing is pretty confusing. My Hitachi plasma's dvi connection is HDCP compliant and my TEAC HD stbs dvi connection is not - yet while hooked up via dvi they work perfectly together.

Perhaps HDCP compliance is more of an issue if you source(stb or dvd player) is HDCP compliant and your panel isn't?

The HDCP thing is pretty confusing. My Hitachi plasma's dvi connection is HDCP compliant and my TEAC HD stbs dvi connection is not - yet while hooked up via dvi they work perfectly together.

Perhaps HDCP compliance is more of an issue if you source(stb or dvd player) is HDCP compliant and your panel isn't?

Well eventually it will be a requirement for sources to check for HDCP compliance on digital outputs (Which display devices will have, but recording devices will not, the idea being you will be able to display Protected content but NOT record it digitally). If your source is not HDCP compliant, then you are laughing anyway....