NEW NEC HD Plasma

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually the *new* ratio for viewing HD panels is factored using a multiple of the screen height not the diagonal.

Just what it is I dont know but in theory you *can* sit much closer to a HD panel than you can to a CRT tv. In fact if you sit too far away, at what we would accept as *normal* viewing distances then you are too far away to see the fine detail of a HD broadcast and might as well have bought a SD panel...

Of course that's all assuming that the transmission/source is of the best HD quality which it rarely is....

For viewing movies, the MAXIMUM viewing distance for a 50” screen is 2.4 meters. That provides a 26deg viewing angle, or the same as the BACK row in a cinema.

The recommended viewing distance is between 1.8 and 2.1 meters for that size screen, or like the middle rows of a cinema.

I can hear the screams of disagreement already, but check the calculator here:

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/vie...ancemetric.html

In my personal experience with a larger 57” screen viewed from 2.8 meters, good quality 1080i HD looks amazing, properly upscaled DVD’s look good to very good and Poxtel Digital looks like blurry crap.

With the same display viewed from 4.5 meters, 1080i HD and properly upscaled DVDs look almost identical and Poxtel looks quite good, so at this distance HD is a waste of time.

I actually have the same movies in 1920x1080i HD and PAL DVD, so I can make valid comparisons.

If the display is not capable of providing a good picture with NO visible pixel’s or screen door at the maximum viewing distance or 26deg viewing angle, then it is just not good enough IMHO.

What’s the point of buying a large screen if you need to sit further away to get a good picture. You have gained nothing for your considerable additional expense.

The idea of HD is that it allows large screens to be viewed up close for a true home cinema experience.

Regards,

Owen

I lived with fans for 2 years on my older unit, it's not an issue unless you like watching movies late at night with the volume down very low. under normal volume conditions it's generally not noticable.

But these days I've made a pact with myself anymore displays I get will be fanless, reason being not the noise so but heat. If the unit needs a fan cooling it all the time, I have concerns about the units longevity due to heat related issues. After having the amplifier inside the glass blow up on my older unit, I've convinced myself that it was probably caused by essesive heat, the older unit ran very hot.

2.7m damn you are sitting very close to it, the screen must feel massive at that range. Can you notice the screen door effect from that distance? This is one the reasons I find being very close to a plasma isn't good, screen door. Also I know what you mean about noticing poor quality sources a lot more, the bigger the screen the more noticable artefacts are. But provided you it good sources, you'll get a real nice cinematic effect.

The ideal viewing distance for the 50" is 4.3mtrs. Hope you have a BIG room

Beg to differ, suggested viewing distance is normally around 1.5-1.7 times diagonal measurement. So as 50" is 1.27mtr, viewing distance should be between 1.90-2.16mtr

For my 2.13 screen I'm around 3.4mtr back and get a great view, based on your calculation I'd need to be around 7.2mtr back - which means I'd be sitting in the back yard :blink:

I am pretty sure the calcs you are using is ment for Projector screens

I remember reading that Plasma and LCD TV's have a different ratio

The ideal viewing distance for the 50" is 4.3mtrs. Hope you have a BIG room

Beg to differ, suggested viewing distance is normally around 1.5-1.7 times diagonal measurement. So as 50" is 1.27mtr, viewing distance should be between 1.90-2.16mtr

For my 2.13 screen I'm around 3.4mtr back and get a great view, based on your calculation I'd need to be around 7.2mtr back - which means I'd be sitting in the back yard :blink:

I am pretty sure the calcs you are using is ment for Projector screens

I remember reading that Plasma and LCD TV's have a different ratio

Surely,

Otherwise how can your eyes take in a 60" screen from 2.5m or a 50" screen from 2.2m? Especially a complex action scene.

JB

I fail to see why you would buy a bigger screen if you have to get further back to enjoy it...

The only issue with a bigger screen is with plasma imo screen door. Since a bigger screen will usually have a large pixel pitch if you sit too close you'll notice the barrier ribs between the pixels. generally though around 2-2.5m the screen door disapears depends on peoples eyesight, then it's just a matter of personal preference on how far away you sit from that to reduce eye strain.

How do you people manage when you go to the cinema?

You must sit in the back row and then complain that the screen is too big.

A 50” screen viewed from 2.4 meters is the SAME as sitting in the BACK row at the cinema.

2 meters is like sitting in the middle where most people prefer to sit and where the director of the movie intended it to be viewed from.

Problems with screen door, visible pixel’s, solarisation, motion artifacts and other pixel related problems is exactly why I did not purchase a digital display.

Regards,

Owen

From my experience living with a 32" WS tv and a pj displayed @150" the difference between the two sizes is only apparent when you walk between the two screen sizes after 20mins or so sitting at my best distance from my tv my EYES tells my brain that in actual fact they are the same size :blink: in other words its all relative :P

cheers laurie

From my experience living with a 32" WS tv and a pj displayed @150" the difference between the two sizes is only apparent when you walk between the two screen sizes after 20mins or so sitting at my best distance from my tv my EYES tells my brain that in actual fact they are the same size  in other words its all relative  :blink:

cheers laurie

That's assuming the connection between your eyes and your brain is 1080i :P just kiddin'... good point laurie....eyes can adjust and adapt very quickly...

cheers,

Ritesh

this one might be a winner if the price is right which it looks to be at around the $8k mark

Ok guys

I am going in

Satureday morning i an going down to check this puppy out with a price in mind.

It was suggested to me today go in at $7500 and expect to wal out with the unit at $7750.00

For those interdted you should be able to get the 42" for around $5800

I've decided to go into Ehome tomorrow to check out the NEC 50". Rang them today and they said they had it on display. If I'm impressed and the price is right, I may well take the plunge and buy it.

this one might be a winner if the price is right which it looks to be at around the $8k mark

Ok guys

I am going in

Satureday morning i an going down to check this puppy out with a price in mind.

It was suggested to me today go in at $7500 and expect to wal out with the unit at $7750.00

For those interdted you should be able to get the 42" for around $5800

I've decided to go into Ehome tomorrow to check out the NEC 50". Rang them today and they said they had it on display. If I'm impressed and the price is right, I may well take the plunge and buy it.

May see you there

Mate I can tell you will need to turn down the sharpness and colour as its factory settings are set too high.

Thanks for everyones replies on viewing distance I can tell you that 2.7 m is way too close it physically made me ill watching it today. I feel like Ive been on a rollercoaster.

Angelo :blink:

Mate I can tell you will need to turn down the sharpness and colour as its factory settings are set too high.

Thanks for everyones replys on viewing distance I can tell you that 2.7 m is way too close it physically made me ill watching it today. I feel like Ive been on a rollercoaster.

What ya gunna do?

Thanks for everyones replys on viewing distance I can tell you that 2.7 m is way too close it physically made me ill watching it today. I feel like Ive been on a rollercoaster.

What ya gunna do?

I really should have gone for the 42inch, but when I saw the 50inch I just had to have it.

Just be careful if you looking at the 42inch there is 2 models in that one .

One has higher specs

Angelo

What ya gunna do?

I really should have gone for the 42inch, but when I saw the 50inch I just had to have it.

Just be careful if you looking at the 42inch there is 2 models in that one .

One has higher specs

Angelo

1 is HD and the other is SD right

Do you know which one is which?

I lived with fans for 2 years on my older unit, it's not an issue unless you like watching movies late at night with the volume down very low. under normal volume conditions it's generally not noticable.

But these days I've made a pact with myself anymore displays I get will be fanless, reason being not the noise so but heat. If the unit needs a fan cooling it all the time, I have concerns about the units longevity due to heat related issues. After having the amplifier inside the glass blow up on my older unit, I've convinced myself that it was probably caused by essesive heat, the older unit ran very hot.

2.7m damn you are sitting very close to it, the screen must feel massive at that range. Can you notice the screen door effect from that distance? This is one the reasons I find being very close to a plasma isn't good, screen door. Also I know what you mean about noticing poor quality sources a lot more, the bigger the screen the more noticable artefacts are. But provided you it good sources, you'll get a real nice cinematic effect.

Hi Mozmo

No screen door effect but I,m starting to think I should have gone for a 42cm as I cant change my seating postion.

After spending all day adjusting it , it made me feel kinda sick.

I think the viewing distance should be at least 3 to 4 meters.

Angelo