Sign in to follow this  
trapper

Extended Warranties?

Are there any companies offering Extended Warranties (in this case for TVs) apart from going through the store where the set is bought?

Thanks.

Do you mean companies other than the manufacturer/distributer?

From memory, there were a few outfits that offered independent "extended warranties" some time back, but I dont think they were worth the paper they were printed on. (Fine print exclusions for everything ; "repair" by their preferred (ie cheap & hopeless) repairers ; no transport coverage ; etc).

I think they have/had names along the lines of "amour plate" or "cast iron" or "sterling" etc... and usually have silly sword type symbols (all trying to convey strength and solidty, etc).

Some may have been the subject of the Investigators (? or whatever that old ABC consumer protection show was called).

Possibly some of the insurance companies also do these warranties, but I'd still engage a legal team before parting with any hard-earned for one.

I know that Sony offer extended warranties on all of their products. Products have to go back to a capital city at your own expense, or locally if available (where Sony dictates). I have taken these extended warranties out, and they have been well worthwhile, although repairs can take a few weeks. Repair costs without the extended warranty in one case would have been over $600.

Some of the stores I have purchased equipment from sell alternative "store" warranties on most brands of TV's and DVD recorders/players etc - e.g here in town Harvey Norman and The Good Guys offer them. In the case of Sony stuff, they are about half the price of the genuine Sony warranties. I recommend carefully reading the fine print with a magnifying glass before paying for any store extended warranty.

When Sony repairs are needed under store warranties, Sony are not involved (so Sony told me) - local 3rd party (backyard?) repairers are used. For this reason, I don't buy these store warranties (although the repairs will be much much quicker).

There may be other extended warranty options around, but I'm not aware of any.

I did some checking on this and found nothing. Interestingly most stores do deal with a company offering the service. The actual piece of equipment is still fixed by the manufacturer but adminsitration is done by this middle company eg the 1300 help line etc. For the record it cost me $500 for my $5400 plasma for a 5 year warranty. Think its good insurance $100 a year for the peace of mind especially for a plasma.

Cost of the warranty is based on purchase price and its costed a bit like insurance and the cost of warranties have gone up just like all insurance in recent times.

Also make sure your warranty involves the manufacturer. That is if its broke it will be fixed by the manufacturer not some little hole in the wall electronics shop that fixes toasters as well. Plus make sure its an in home warranty. That is you do not have to ship it. They come to you. Plus make sure it includes a lemon clause. That is same fault within span of time and they swap it for a new one. Or if they cant fix it they replace it.

In the UK "Which" did an investigation into extended warranty's, and found most not worth the paper they are written on. They found you are better off saving the money, and pay for any repairs when needed, which will most often be many many years later and a fraction of what the warranty cost, and by then you may well want to upgrade. If a shop is trying to sell you an extended warranty are they saying the goods we sell aren't much good and are liable to breakdown?

How UK extended warranty differ from ones in Australia, I do not know, but would think they are pretty much similar.

It is much cheaper to add accidental damage and breakdown cover to home contents insurance, again how this works in Australia I do not know.

Though the UK has the sales of goods act, which help protect the consumer, see here, I understand Australia have similar protection.

I bought a plasma recently and was offered an extended warranty. 4 years plus the one from manufaturer makes it 5. At $700 thought it was fairly hefty though.

Anyone had experience with these. How flaky are the plasma screens.

Phil

I always purchase goods with my Coles Myer Source Gold MasterCard... it gets me double the warranty (up to a max of 1 extra year).