I've had my Panasonic widescreen CRT (TX-86PW200A) for about 5 weeks now - and it's developed slight discoloration at the top left & right corners. It depends on the background - but usually it's greenish or yellowish in colour.

Now I know this type of thing is usually caused by unshielded magnets in speakers but mine are shielded and anyway they're not near the corners - the centre speaker is on top but is not that large and doesn't come anywhere near the outside corners.

I'll probably have to get someone out to look at it. I did call Panasonic and they said the nearest authorised service shop was Hills Telefix - are Hills any good with this type of thing?

I'd also like them to have a go at fixing the small geometry problem that this set has (and I think most owners have the same problem) - ie the picture is slightly taller on the RHS than it is on the left - ie if I put up a picture of a rectangle (eg the THX 16:9 aspect test picture or the DVE overscan picture) then the top line slopes upwards and the bottom line slopes downwards towards the right - and there's no appropriate control in the service menu to adjust that particular problem.

Seeing as the problem has as you say 'developed' I would definately remove the centre speaker for a few days - even sheilded ones *can* cause problems if the magnets are large enough and it's sat close to a large w/screen crt. Turn the set off for a few hours at the power point then back on to degauss the set. Perhaps repeat this a few times over the next 24hr.

Also you could try moving the set in the room - these large CRT's are affected by the earth's magnetic field

I have some thing similar on my Panasonic as well. Have had it for a month now. But instead of yellowish or greenish, my is a bluish tinge on the top left corner of the screen.

I have switched it off using the remote for 30 minutes or so and switched it back on but it still there. I thought at first it was caused by the centre speaker sitting on top of the screen. Have since removed it but no change.

Isn't switching it off at the power point the same as using the remote the switch the TV off ? However, I will try it as I have nothing to loose. I think I have grown to accept the bluish tinge as part of the set...... :blink:

Also, would Panasonic really send somebody out just to fix these discolorations ?

cheers

Switching off with the remote can be different to using the power switch - depending on the design the remote doesn't always use the degaussing coil - it needs a cold start from the mains switch on a lot of sets.

The problem is most likely caused by the centre channel spk - once it's magnetised the mask in the tube the set will need degaussing to correct it - if the cold switch on/off a few times in 24hrs doesn't fix it then the tech can use a degaussing coil and this should fix it most times but sometimes the mask can be permanently magnetised :blink:

You may have to leave the set off at the wall for an hour or so too. Quite a lot still just rely on a humble thermistor with no cutoff to control the degauss process. You won't get a 'full' degauss unless the thermistor is 'cold'.

Regards geo issue, yes it does seem a common problem and it always seems to be the RHS being taller thasn the LHS. From my experience it cannot be fixed even in the service menu. All you can generally do is change the tilt to get the bottom straight, then fix sides with parallelogram adjustment, and end up with a slope at the top only. I would hassle the service people to get you a tube that has a residual slope of no more than 5mm. Panasonic should have an allowable deviation spec for their TVs, I know for philips it is considered faulty if >5mm.

My Tv has adjustment for your slope problem aparantly tv's have to be adjusted to suit your geo location on earth due to magnetic fields. I have been told not to place my sheilded centre too close to tv as this may cause the problems you describe.

Just been rearranging my garage and uncovered a 25 YO AWA 14" CTV, so I decided to set it up to watch the football etc. while working out there.

Tried one location on top of a set of a 4 drawer filing cabinet(metal) and rabbit ears for antenna. At switch on there was discolouration around th edges of the screen which persisted regardless of the number of switch on/off/on cycles. Moved it to a different location on top of some shelves and away went the problem..

Moral of the story: Try different location or more importantly, what possible object is located nearby which may be causing the problem( magnetic interference).

Im sorry, but I found my 86cm Pana 200A to be a piece of crap in this regard. I had major colour deformation in the top left and bottom right corners. It would not degauss no matter how long I left it unplugged either.

I swapped it for a Sony KVHR36M31 and in exactly the same spot the Sony is just fantastic. When I complained to the store I was told it was the second 86cm 200A to come back with that problem, and no, I had not done anything to mess with the TVs magnetic balance.

You do need to turn these OFF to do a degauss. You shouldn't need to unplug it, just use the switch on the front.

I turn off my 10A with the front switch every night. Dunno about the 200A, but the 10A is still sucking 32 watts out of the mains in standby, so I save on the electricity bill while doing a daily de-gauss, and my set is sitting mighty close to some mighty big speakers.

Best of luck,

Dik