metal beat

Show us your Turntables!!!

Hey Tase, as it happens Roger and I have discussed a more ‘hard core’ MkII version of the Tranquility, so we shall have to see (I wouldn’t hold your breath though and it’s certainly not imminent). The primary problem is that the Linn/LP12 owning community is, for the most part, a pretty conservative bunch. 

Well I can assure you that the Lenco community is far from conservative. 😎 

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, andyr said:

In terms of lateral stability ("less teeter totter"), Mark, do you think that 2 belts, 180 deg opposite each other, will improve matters ... or not?

My gut feel was that it could only improve stability - and reduce side-wear - as the chassis is no longer being pulled to one side ... but maybe this lack of sideways force makes the bearing less stable?

Andy

Hi Andy, this concept of ‘teeter totter’ is theoretically a problem but, in realty, of small scale importance (relatively). If one looks at used LP12 bearings (both shaft tip and thrust pad) the wear shows pretty consistent pressure marks and no evidence the bearing has been processing. I’ve been able to inspect quite a lot of LP12 bearings over the years, both Cirkus and earlier, and pressure wear marks are evident, though side wear is very low and wear marks are concentric and even. Side wear of the bearing is not really of concern as surface velocity of the rotating components is very low and no real wear is evident even in very old examples. 

Lack of side  force could theoretically make the bearing less stable and the Well Tempered decks specifically make use of the one sided belt tension to centre the bearing, for example. However, I believe that the majority of these issues can be addressed successfully by using a sufficiently viscous lubricant. In a ‘normal’ LP12 the linn ‘black oil’ is a good choice. Not because it has any magic properties but It is sufficiently viscous as to lock the lateral load of the bearing and yet not so thick that it significantly increases load on the motor. However, as the LP12 bearing uses an upper and lower bush arrangement it is extremely important that the bearing shaft is fully immersed in oil - much easier to achieve with the Cirkus bearing with its added oil well at the top. 

What two opposing belts does clearly offer is a more balanced pull (or potentially so) on the suspension. As the motors exist outside of the suspension loop this suggests potential speed stability benefits by minimising lateral suspension displacement. However, the positioning of the motors is very important as the asymmetric layout of the suspension points creates a clear axis of lateral rotation in the suspension. 

Sorry to ‘go on’ - have I answered clearly?

Edited by YNWaN

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, gnnett said:

Well I can assure you that the Lenco community is far from conservative. 😎 

In Australia perhaps but I’m afraid I didn’t find the UK Lenco forum very receptive, or friendly for that matter :( . In fact, after a short while I requested that my account be deleted and I haven’t returned since. 

Edited by YNWaN

Posted (edited)

Sorry to hear that, although I do have a foot in both camps and have often thought of getting the Tranquillity for my LP12 and figuring out how to adapt another to the G99.

Your comments above confirm that my thoughts of adding platter mass, still needs to consider platter balance.

Cheers

Grantn 

Edited by gnnett

Posted (edited)

I’m not sure it would be worth trying to modify a Tranquility to work with a Lenco as it is very specifically sized to fit the LP12 and also made to match the mass of the platter. 

You don’t say as much but I guess that when you talk about adding platter mass you are referring to the common technique of stacking a second platter to a Lenco? There are two problems with this; firstly platter balance but also, and closely linked, second, the centre of gravity is raised quite significantly and the moment of leverage* on the bearing shaft is also raised - at which point side loads can become an issue. 

* magnetic bearings like the Tranquility and my own do effectively lower the centre of gravity of the platter as the bearing sees it. 

Edited by YNWaN

Wow 50H, is the original version with the papst motor?

My RD11s has been at my mate's place for almost half a year I think, finally back home.20190813_213916.jpeg

On 04/08/2019 at 5:55 PM, YNWaN said:

Hey Tase, as it happens Roger and I have discussed a more ‘hard core’ MkII version of the Tranquility, so we shall have to see (I wouldn’t hold your breath though and it’s certainly not imminent). The primary problem is that the Linn/LP12 owning community is, for the most part, a pretty conservative bunch. 

Would be very interested, Mark!  :thumb:  (Given my TT, now, is basically a 'LINO' - "Linn In Name Only".  :lol: )

(Especially since my mate Steve has just come up with some mag-lev 'springs' to replace Linn springs!)

Andy

Simple Project Carbon Debut with Ortofon OM-10 made beautiful with hand crafted tube MM phono stage and Bewitch tube integrated amp playing through Paradigm Premier 100B speakers

6112B02F-AFA8-4117-A70C-2BDE276EE62D.jpeg

6 hours ago, Frank Prowse Hi-Fi said:

Client's beautiful LP12 with newly installed Cadenza Mono MC cart:-

Oooo a polished platter..:thumb:....not to sure about the arm board gaps though...:unsure:

Tase

6 hours ago, Tasebass said:

Oooo a polished platter..:thumb:....not to sure about the arm board gaps though...:unsure:

Tase

To be honest we told the client its due for a service but I think he wants to clock a few hours up on the Cadenza Mono first...

On 20/08/2019 at 6:42 PM, needlerunner said:

The MuFi Ultradeck. Very understated. 1566290559472.jpeg

Yes indeed!