metal beat

Show us your Turntables!!!

1980's Rega 2, 8 platter. With DV501 arm Ortofon Quintet Black cartridge with Valve amplification 

Love the old classics 

IMG-2184.JPG

1 minute ago, Glenny said:

1980's Rega 2, 8 platter. With DV501 arm Ortofon Quintet Black cartridge with Valve amplification 

Love the old classics 

IMG-2184.JPG

Love the tonearm

1 hour ago, Glenny said:

Love the old classics 

IMG-2184.JPG

Great to see an appreciation of the older gear. To earn and wooden skirting steal the show. What platter did you say that was - from a P8? 

5 minutes ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

Great to see an appreciation of the older gear. To earn and wooden skirting steal the show. What platter did you say that was - from a P8? 

Yes, I had a new motor and lead installed, while I was at it I up graded to P8 platter with the aluminium disc as well.  

Never seen a 501 on a Planar 2 before. Looks fantastic!

7 hours ago, Glenny said:

Yes, I had a new motor and lead installed, while I was at it I up graded to P8 platter with the aluminium disc as well.  

Very cool. Curious, where’d you get the platter? It’s $799 at aussiehifi :eek:

23 hours ago, Number 9 said:

Here's my latest build. Twin Premotec Motors, Delrin platter and sub-platter, Mag-Lev suspension, Cutom built Audio Origami arm. Not going to be a commercial release, but I'm one step closer to having a nice sounding system!

9.4TT.jpg

Very cool, Steve.  :thumb:

I look forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Andy

12 hours ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

Very cool. Curious, where’d you get the platter? It’s $799 at aussiehifi :eek:

I got it from Stereophonic in Brunswick, I didn't pay quite that much because he just happen have it lying around so to speak. I had to get the aluminium disc with it make it fit which was $100. Made a big different I might add. 

Finally have my TT set up in my new listening room ready for the Sydney GTG this coming Sunday.

IMG_4615.JPG

I have finally got the Acoustic Solid and Origin Live tonearm setup and playing tunes

A few months without vinyl has been tough, but hopefully a fading memory!

0f31f3ce221a865d5443e586581feb7a.jpg

I chose to start off with the Dynavector 10x5, it’s a really trusty little beast and seems to love a Rega geometry arm!

1 hour ago, Gijo1977 said:

I have finally got the Acoustic Solid and Origin Live tonearm setup and playing tunes emoji16.png

I chose to start off with the Dynavector 10x5, it’s a really trusty little beast and seems to love a Rega geometry arm!

Sorry, Gijo ... why do you say "it seems to love a Rega geometry arm"?

The arm has headshell slots; in your pic you are dead in the middle of the slots- which means you can compensate (within 5mm forwards or backwards) for an arm positioned with the wrong overhang geometry.

I would suggest that - if it's sounding good - then the compliance & weight of your DV 10x5 suit the effective weight of your OL arm.

Your issue, I suggest, may be whether the OL arm delivers the correct VTA for the DV 10x5?  I say this simply because my understanding is that OL arms are based on Rega arms - and they don't, stock, offer adjustable VTA.

Andy

@andyr from the picture that arm board collar seems to have a Pilar screw to adjust vta

[mention=104099]andyr[/mention] from the picture that arm board collar seems to have a Pilar screw to adjust vta

You are half right :), the board has the grub screw as one method of adjusting VTA, additionally the OL zephyr has onboard adjustable VTA via a threaded ring/nut arrangement, much like the options available for the older Rega arms RB300 and co.

Andy is obviously more than correct in the statements around weight and compliance etc... and in my way over-simplified statement I was just trying to highlight a fairly universal sentiment that the 10x5 seems to match well with Rega and its familial arm spin offs.

My next two carts should be interesting as well .... Benz Glider SL and a Supex 900

On 25/05/2019 at 7:56 PM, Gijo1977 said:

I have finally got the Acoustic Solid and Origin Live tonearm setup and playing tunes emoji16.png

0f31f3ce221a865d5443e586581feb7a.jpg

Aquired an acoustic solid myself and am loving it. Recommend some of the bunnings rubber squares under the spike cups. Just cleaned the sound up another level from top to bottom. Got me that exited I have started to machine up some maglev feet to suit and see if can get any more out of it!

1 hour ago, McCvinyl said:

. Recommend some of the bunnings rubber squares under the spike cups. Just cleaned the sound up another level from top to bottom. Got me that exited I have started to machine up some maglev feet to suit and see if can get any more out of it!

I did the same to my Garrard 401 last week. Took the cheap plastic round feet off and put 3 smallish spikes with cups on and sat them on bunnings rubber squares. - unfortunately I haven't been able to do a sound comparison yet as I have a stuffed up ear, but it looks good.

P1000698.thumb.JPG.bfb4f7e89d91c68d2f47d9b26fb473bc.JPG

Yep just like that Grump. Good luck with the ear.

You might still be ok for mono recordings though.