metal beat

Show us your Turntables!!!

31 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

Brinkmann Bardo - Brinkmann 10.5 tonearm and Brinkmann EMT ti cartridge.

Many here would have heard my Bardo at the HiFi Show last October and it was an absolute standout performer there. The granite slab I have since sourced locally and I'm really enjoying this sensational rig in my system and it gets many hours of play each day.

Cheers,

Keith

Bardo - Feb 2020 - 2.JPG

No SME 20 any more, Keith?  :)

Andy

37 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

Brinkmann Bardo - Brinkmann 10.5 tonearm and Brinkmann EMT ti cartridge.

Many here would have heard my Bardo at the HiFi Show last October and it was an absolute standout performer there. The granite slab I have since sourced locally and I'm really enjoying this sensational rig in my system and it gets many hours of play each day.

Cheers,

Keith

Bardo - Feb 2020 - 2.JPG

Bardo - Feb 202 - 1.JPG

Bardo - Feb 2020 - 3.JPG

WOW !!!!!!!!!

20 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

Hello Greg, @Guzzista, no I don't use a mat and the records go directly on to the glass.

Cheers,

Keith

MMMmmmm..... I'm feeling like a bit of a goose now, when I set up my Innovation TT I tried a number of different mats, settled on a "ring mat" but it never ever dawned on me to think Clearaudio did not supply a mat because one is not needed!

Back to the music room for some comparitive listening!

You have caused neutrons in my brain to bounce about 🙂

Moderators, not sure what happened here, if possible please delete my multiple posts, sorry.

Edited by Guzzista

25 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

Hello Greg, @Guzzista, no I don't use a mat and the records go directly on to the glass.

Cheers,

Keith

MMMmmmm..... I'm feeling like a bit of a goose now, when I set up my Innovation TT I tried a number of different mats, settled on a "ring mat" but it never ever dawned on me to think Clearaudio did not supply a mat because one is not needed!

Back to the music room for some comparative listening!

25 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

Cheers,

Keith

Back to the music room for some comparative listening!

28 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

Edited by Guzzista

20 minutes ago, Guzzista said:

Moderators, not sure what happened here, if possible please delete my multiple posts, sorry.

@Grumpy can you help please mate?

24 minutes ago, Guzzista said:

Back to the music room for some comparitive listening!

Hello Greg, a bit of an echo in here, mate!!:lol:

I'll have a look at your turntable and see what the platter is..............or you could just tell me I guess? I've had a lot of experience with the Brinkmann decks over the years, particularly the Bardo and I don't think Herr Brinkmann would be impressed if I put a mat on his very specifically designed platter, so using a mat would never have entered my thinking.

Cheers,

Keith

[PS] Really like the look of the Clearaudio Innovation too.:thumb: 

Edited by cheekyboy

22 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

Hello Greg, a bit of an echo in here, mate!!:lol:

I'll have a look at your turntable and see what the platter is..............or you could just tell me I guess? I've had a lot of experience with the Brinkmann decks over the years, particularly the Bardo and I don't think Herr Brinkmann would be impressed if I put a mat on his very specifically designed platter, so using a mat would never have entered my thinking.

Cheers,

Keith

[PS] Really like the look of the Clearaudio Innovation too.:thumb: 

Keith

This is what Clearaudio spec:

Platter

"70 mm / 2.75 inch main platter, made out of synthetic material with high density and excellent dimension stability, precision CNC machined surface, solid stainless steel sub–platter, dynamically balanced."

Cheers

G

1 minute ago, Guzzista said:

Keith

This is what Clearaudio spec:

Platter

"70 mm / 2.75 inch main platter, made out of synthetic material with high density and excellent dimension stability, precision CNC machined surface, solid stainless steel sub–platter, dynamically balanced."

Cheers

G

Yeah, Greg, no doubt you'll get better performance with the vinyl directly on to the platter surface, as I'm sure Clearaudio have designed their platter to be used that way. Of course, you'll need to adjust VTA/SRA when you remove the mat.

I have sent you a PM too.

Cheers,

Keith

1 hour ago, cheekyboy said:

Yeah, Greg, no doubt you'll get better performance with the vinyl directly on to the platter surface, as I'm sure Clearaudio have designed their platter to be used that way. Of course, you'll need to adjust VTA/SRA when you remove the mat.

I have sent you a PM too.

Cheers,

Keith

"Never live a day without at least learning one thing!"

Mission accomplished.

G

2 hours ago, andyr said:

No SME 20 any more, Keith?  :)

Andy

Hello Andy, hope you're well mate. No, I haven't had the SME Model 20 now for about 5 - 6 years...............it was a very nice deck though.

Cheers,

Keith

I bought my Kuzma Stabi M some weeks ago, but finally got around to setting it up and listening to it last night/early this morning. 
Amazing machine! 
4 point 11 arm and Koetsu Rosewood Signature cart. This set-up absolutely wipes the floor with my previous turntable, a very finely finished Garrard 401. 
Quality analogue is seductive and utterly addictive! 

FE59E60B-3C9E-4760-B9B7-13358484CA21.jpeg

20B9F31E-1916-4C42-9BED-6A4B6C3EEEA8.jpeg

Edited by Be Quiet...Listen

Stunning looking rig!!! 

1 hour ago, sdepass said:

what's spinning?

At that stage, an original Island UK pressing of John Martyn - Bless the Weather.  

I mentioned this on another thread, but thought it was worth putting here too

My new (old) LP12. The afromasia plinth was from 1975, and despite refreshing it and bracing the corners, I have been in the market for a plinth for some time. I have looked at Woodsong, Booplinths, and getting second hand Linn plinths, but it was always too much, too hard, or why bother. Then I saw some plinths at the Hifi show at the VAF stand, which looked good. I spoke to Simon, who said he and another guy, Ben, were setting up to make them as part of a turntable setup business- www.hifguru.com.au . After some thinking about it, I got in touch, and decided on a Redgum plinth. I decided on upgrading the power supply from a valhalla to the lingo 4, which is more modern than its predecessors, having self adjusting speed control. The remainder of the deck is as before- a kore subchassis, with a jelco 750D tonearm, which whilst it is not perhaps up there with the better Linn arms, works well with the deck, and allows switching out headshells, which I do pretty regularly, though a VdH frog is the main cartridge. Building it is half the fun for me, and having done it a few times before, it all went together well. The end result looks fantastic, and sounds just as good. 

Justin

fullsizeoutput_18fd.jpeg

Townshend Elite Rock TT. Optional Black plinth and perspex lid.Townshend Excalibur Arm. Bought new  1984. Currently a Denon DL103R MC Cart.

Rock05.jpg

Edited by bevwil

On 15/02/2020 at 3:02 PM, Juzbear said:

Then I saw some plinths at the Hifi show at the VAF stand, which looked good. I spoke to Simon, who said he and another guy, Ben, were setting up to make them as part of a turntable setup business- www.hifguru.com.au . After some thinking about it, I got in touch, and decided on a Redgum plinth.. 

Justin

fullsizeoutput_18fd.jpeg

Beaudiful!!  :thumb:   :thumb:

Re. your Frog - the info I found says the DC coil resistance is 21 ohms.  This says to me that optimal load will be anywhere between 220 and 2200 ohms.  I'd be interested in knowing what loading you're using atm.

Andy

I have tried and tested every platter mat on the market, and under professional advice no mat just resting the record on the substantially heavy TT platter.

The ring mat wins hands down, the detail is amazing, note clarity, bass and vocals raw and naked!

Just thought I should let members know.

B92E56E3-DD63-4853-B870-369B4DCCBF87.jpeg

DBBE5472-6DEE-4891-BB24-F831784ADD38.jpeg

1 hour ago, Guzzista said:

I have tried and tested every platter mat on the market, and under professional advice no mat just resting the record on the substantially heavy TT platter.

The ring mat wins hands down, the detail is amazing, note clarity, bass and vocals raw and naked!

Just thought I should let members know.

B92E56E3-DD63-4853-B870-369B4DCCBF87.jpeg

DBBE5472-6DEE-4891-BB24-F831784ADD38.jpeg

I used to use a ringmat on my Linn 30 years ago.   Good to hear they are still making them. 

Every mat you have tried.  How does the ringmat sound compared to the Micro Seiki cu180, the Oyaide or Boston audio ?

Edited by metal beat

13 minutes ago, metal beat said:

I used to use a ringmat on my Linn 30 years ago.   Good to hear they are still making them. 

Every mat you have tried.  How does the ringmat sound compared to the Micro Seiki cu180, the Oyaide or Boston audio ?

13 minutes ago, metal beat said:

How does the ringmat sound compared to the Micro Seiki cu180, the Oyaide or Boston audio ?

Yes well played, there is always someone...........

maybe I made a widely sweeping statement without proper consideration.

That said, visit my listening room and hear for yourself.

G