Show us your Turntables!!!

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My refurbished Commonwealth 12C is custom rock maple plinth/stand and Schroder CB tonearm. New cartridge to come. Golden Age Audio Reference Phono 

Been a long time since I posted any new pics in this amazing thread.   After a complete ground up rebuild by SNA maestro @Shark, including an engineering masterpiece of a plinth with built-i

My Garrad 401 project is almost done . Brand new in box garrad 401 + custome made plattter/mat with sme 3012 & fr 64 fx tonearm . Some photos show how it is . Plinth is in final stage still need t

On 05/12/2020 at 5:11 AM, cafe67 said:

Hiya , hope these help you. , cart was very well setup by MarkT and I think we got the tracking force spot on. 1.8 grams I think 

14F556FE-C442-4CAC-B647-40B15966DF5A.jpeg

Here's a picture of mine.  Maybe a little lower but generally seems to be comparable.  I guess nothing to worry about!

IMG_0514.jpg

Edited by sktn77a
On 07/12/2020 at 1:45 AM, sktn77a said:

Here's a picture of mine.  Maybe a little lower but generally seems to be comparable.  I guess nothing to worry about!

IMG_0514.jpg

Not being rude or silly , have you checked that your arm is running paralell to the platter? 

Doing the normal Sunday record dig , stumbled on this technics sl-5 .... it says not working, came home plugged in , dialed into the phono stage on the devialet.. and perfect ... pristine condition..

61FD19B9-3D29-4F63-BC7D-5151FB3DD1C9.jpeg

C476D9C3-7F89-4DC8-8F2F-F1CF91204319.jpeg

8188A3B1-70B6-48B6-B742-D11CDDDDE1BF.jpeg

EB95C5F6-4EFA-4D8C-A7CF-BB2CFB359577.jpeg

• Like 9
2 minutes ago, Diynamic said:

Doing the normal Sunday record dig , stumbled on this technics sl-5 .... it says not working, came home plugged in , dialed into the phono stage on the devialet.. and perfect ... pristine condition..

61FD19B9-3D29-4F63-BC7D-5151FB3DD1C9.jpeg

C476D9C3-7F89-4DC8-8F2F-F1CF91204319.jpeg

8188A3B1-70B6-48B6-B742-D11CDDDDE1BF.jpeg

EB95C5F6-4EFA-4D8C-A7CF-BB2CFB359577.jpeg

If it does start to play up, I may be able to help remedy. Just let me know.

• Like 1

Not a issue at the moment played through a few albums .... If something does occur I’ll hit you up , thanks ..had to make a earth wire to plug into the rear . Can’t believe the deck sounds so good ... 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just about to upgrade my SkeletaLinn with a new chassis - which was CNCed out of Delrin for me by Kev.  Thanks, Kev!  :thumb:

So this - top:

2070740185_SkeletaLinnDelrinChassis-Top.thumb.jpg.6133411e20e7b916a5b69404b243cfcb.jpg

and underside:

1137369187_SkeletaLinnDelrinChassis-Underneath.thumb.jpg.73ae4d73c146a48c4df81093cf03e87b.jpg

replaces this (bolted-together aluminium C-section)!:

327836325_SkeletaLinn005.thumb.jpg.fa0b26a8f88500001213ffd1ecac6b06.jpg

There are 2 main differences (apart from the material):

1. the position of the bearing has been moved slightly further away from the LH spring than it is now.  This should give me equal weight distribution on the 3 springs (currently, it's about 40% on the LH spring and 30% on each of the other two springs).
  2. there are 'wings' either side of the bearing, to take the 2 motors.  Currently, the motors are mounted on brass pods - so off-board - but this requires careful measurement to position the motors correctly, each time I do any work on the TT.  In the new chassis, the motors are fixed in place - the penalty being ... motor vibrations might get to the bearing (and the platter).  I'm hoping Delrin is sufficiently self-damping for this not to be a problem.

And yes ... it is Karousel-ready!  xD

Andy

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chill3 said:

You're mounting the motors on the chassis ?

Sure thing!  :)

See here:

1334179676_SkeletaLinnDelrinChassis-withmotors.thumb.jpg.577edfb12328a94925d7f2a7c0a635ce.jpg

Yes, I know that I mounted them off-board, when I designed the SkeletaLinn, the first time around - and there's a good reason for doing this (keep motor vibrations away from the bearing).

But the 'Number9' motor controller that I use, has the ability to set the phase difference between the 2 pairs of motor wires to be whatever you want.  What you do is hold the motor in your hand whilst changing the value of the phase difference with your computer - you choose the value which gives you the minimum motor vibration.

So I'm hoping this - coupled with Delrin having a degree of self-damping - will mean that motor vibration is not an issue.  But I won't know this until I fire it up!  xD

Andy

Edited by andyr
11 minutes ago, andyr said:

So I'm hoping

Andy

lot of hope riding on your implementation Andy...did you fabricate a "dummy" mount for the bearing and motors for evaluation??

All the best..

Tase.

Edited by Tasebass
1 minute ago, Tasebass said:

lot of hope riding on your implementation Andy...

Hah - yes!  :)

do you fabricate a "dummy" mount for the bearing and motors for evaluation??

All the best..

Tase.

No - I didn't see how this could be done easily.  So I went straight for the whole chassis.  Kev and I have worked out a 'Plan B', if motor vibrations turn out to be a problem.  :)

Note: I have a built-in "vibration measuring " facility on the SkeletaLinn.  The Number9 has the ability to send a different frequency to each AC motor - needed, in order to compensate for slight machining differences in the motor pulleys.  When calibrating the 2 motors (to give me 33 & 45), I noticed that the weight buckets on my 2 arms make an excellent 'vibration measuring tool'!  :)

When I have set the motors' relative speed correctly, there is no movement of the weight buckets - when it is set incorrectly ... you can see them jiggling.  So I am expecting this will tell me whether motor vibration is an issue or not, with the new chassis.

Andy

2 hours ago, andyr said:

Sure thing!  :)

See here:

1334179676_SkeletaLinnDelrinChassis-withmotors.thumb.jpg.577edfb12328a94925d7f2a7c0a635ce.jpg

Yes, I know that I mounted them off-board, when I designed the SkeletaLinn, the first time around - and there's a good reason for doing this (keep motor vibrations away from the bearing).

But the 'Number9' motor controller that I use, has the ability to set the phase difference between the 2 pairs of motor wires to be whatever you want.  What you do is hold the motor in your hand whilst changing the value of the phase difference with your computer - you choose the value which gives you the minimum motor vibration.

So I'm hoping this - coupled with Delrin having a degree of self-damping - will mean that motor vibration is not an issue.  But I won't know this until I fire it up!  xD

Andy

Ok, hard to see the point of a suspended turntable with motors attached to the chassis, but then Rega have the motor on their  chassis with a similar advanced power supply so ........

• Haha 1
53 minutes ago, Chill3 said:

Ok, hard to see the point of a suspended turntable with motors attached to the chassis, but then Rega have the motor on their chassis with a similar advanced power supply so ........

Appreciate your PoV Chill but shirley, SME, for one, has its motor attached to the chassis?  (Sure, Linn's motor is attached to the top-plate.)

And I have to disagree that Rega's motor PS is as advanced as the Number9.  :)  Steve Tuckett, the Number9 designer, was Rega's largest retailer in a previous life - so he knows what Rega has.

Andy

On 23/12/2020 at 3:23 PM, Hydrology said:

I would VERY much like this to be my next turntable - @Epiphany Audio hook me up! Can I do part trade-in of a body part or two???

ZEBRANO-GRANDE-MK20301-copia.thumb.jpg.80ded1473d2c1a70b61f79bf1529fb50.jpg

@Hydrology I have some good or bad new depending on your perspective - these are way more affordable (and beautiful) than post people think.

Happy to bring one around to the store some time if the hardcore vinyl junkies are interested in seeing one?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Epiphany Audio said:

@Hydrology I have some good or bad new depending on your perspective - these are way more affordable (and beautiful) than post people think.

Happy to bring one around to the store some time if the hardcore vinyl junkies are interested in seeing one?

Absolutely @Epiphany Audio ! Didn’t know you guys were in Perth. Send through a price list if you get a chance!

On 23/12/2020 at 4:31 PM, Chill3 said:

You're mounting the motors on the chassis ?

An update for you.  :)

I explained why I thought that because I've been able to minimise motor vibrations using the facilities which the 'Number9' motor controller offers, mounting the motors on the chassis shouldn't be a problem.  But, after your post, I've re-fitted the motors - and they now have a neoprene O-ring as a washer on each bolt, between the motor 'mounting wings' and the chassis.  Which I'm thinking should act as some sort of a barrier to vibrations getting from the motors into the chassis.  :)

Here's a pic of the current status, with Cirkus bearing and inner platter fitted, as well as the Univector arm mount:

564039891_SkeletaLinnDelrinChassis-withinnerplatterandUnivectorbase.thumb.jpg.4f0ddd7be831cf7b0a7f709d10d58ba6.jpg

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 4
On 26/12/2020 at 5:18 PM, andyr said:

I explained why I thought that because I've been able to minimise motor vibrations using the facilities which the 'Number9' motor controller offers, mounting the motors on the chassis shouldn't be a problem.  But, after your post, I've re-fitted the motors - and they now have a neoprene O-ring as a washer on each bolt, between the motor 'mounting wings' and the chassis.  Which I'm thinking should act as some sort of a barrier to vibrations getting from the motors into the chassis.  :)

Here's a pic of the current status, with Cirkus bearing and inner platter fitted, as well as the Univector arm mount:

So where's the karousel??

Are you gonna use the Mober inner platter with the Karousel??

Tase

So where's the karousel??

Are you gonna use the Mober inner platter with the Karousel??

Tase

That's my intention, Tase.  (It's been working fine in my Cirkus bearing!)  :)

Which is why there is no Karousel atm - I'm waiting a few years until they sell it by itself.  :lol:

Andy

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, andyr said:

That's my intention, Tase.  (It's been working fine in my Cirkus bearing!)  :)

Which is why there is no Karousel atm - I'm waiting a few years until they sell it by itself.  :lol:

Andy

.... your missing out mate.....:tongue:

Tase.

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Tasebass said:

.... your missing out mate.....:tongue:

Tase.

I know ... but as a retired gent, nowadays ... I don't have the ready supply of green that I used to have.  :(  :lol:

Andy

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

New arm for the sp10 mk2 this time paired with at-1010 tonearm. There is so much tweak in this arm with damping, lateral balance and gymbal balance will slowly dialling it in but after regular setup it's sounding quite great

20210116_182510.jpg

• Like 2

My vintage LP12 with Grado Reference Sonata 2. Sounds rich and detailed with the top end rolled off slightly.  IMG_0242.thumb.JPG.ec45998a38ca606b1482ef77043dfc76.JPG

53A26AF6-DA9C-4CF4-968B-93F2A23ACCB1.jpeg

Edited by davidSun
  • Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all, this is my very humble Rega P25 which has had some major tweaking over the last 4 years that I've owned it. Bought it stock standard and have since done various tweeks. It's a very sweet sounding table. Tweaks as follows :- Incognito silver cardas rewire, Rega 24v motor with PSU upgrade, Tango Spinner adjustable feet, brass dual pulley, silicon belts, Delrin/Aluminium platter, VLT bearing housing, Subplatter, record clamp. Groove Tracer under slung counter weight. Have run Rega Exact, Ortofon 2M Red, 2M Black and currently DV 17DX. Really love what the DV brings out of the grooves. Big shout out to Gus from Tango Spinner as well. The nicest guy to deal with. My last additions were the platter, bearing housing and pulley, belts and clamp. Sent from Argentina on the 20th Jan and arrived at the door today. Would have been yesterday if not for the public holiday. Great service. 

20210127_193528.jpg

20210127_193542.jpg

20210127_193624.jpg

20210127_193713.jpg

20210127_193731.jpg

20210127_193748.jpg

• Like 9
On 23/12/2020 at 10:39 AM, andyr said:

Appreciate your PoV Chill but shirley, SME, for one, has its motor attached to the chassis?  (Sure, Linn's motor is attached to the top-plate.)

Andy

SME motors are not mounted to the same plate the arm and main bearing are attached to. 

4 minutes ago, YNWaN said:

SME motors are not mounted to the same plate the arm and main bearing are attached to. 

Aah, OK - thanks, Mark.  :thumb:

Andy

On 17/01/2021 at 10:35 PM, davidSun said:

My vintage LP12 with Grado Reference Sonata 2. Sounds rich and detailed with the top end rolled off slightly.  IMG_0242.thumb.JPG.ec45998a38ca606b1482ef77043dfc76.JPG

53A26AF6-DA9C-4CF4-968B-93F2A23ACCB1.jpeg

That's our ears not  the cartridge.

Its "flat as a tack".?

A few that are in use on the regular as of late. I am almost done with custom maple racks to properly accommodate the tables .

A few Thornes TD-124's modified by Greg Metz at STS with SME and Ortofon arms , a Rek-O-Kut Rondine Deluxe mono player with ROK Micropose 120 and Gray Research 208-S/16” arm with Fairchild 220-A mono cartridge. a few Audio Technica tables , and lots of cartridges and tonearms both stereo and mono for all of the direct drive, belt drive, and idler drive tables.

Full-Size-Render-1-resize.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

Edited by charles hidalgo
  • Like 10

Greg Metz STS modified Thorens TD124 MKII in custom plinth,  with an Alfred Bokrand Custom Ortofon Tonearm mounted on a black sourced armboard, with a beloved brand new NOS Ortofon SPU Royal A cartridge, topped off with Nordost Quattro-fil phono cable.

IMG_1961.thumb.jpg.4cd29861807cabfef0a0092ebf1f34c6.jpg

IMG_1960.thumb.jpg.511f251981ec5a34dafa9a49e2658944.jpg

Edited by charles hidalgo
  • Like 7
On 26/12/2020 at 5:18 PM, andyr said:

564039891_SkeletaLinnDelrinChassis-withinnerplatterandUnivectorbase.thumb.jpg.4f0ddd7be831cf7b0a7f709d10d58ba6.jpg

Andy

Looks good Andy.

Can I ask why you used Delrin by itself and didn't bond it to a frame as Delrin has a tendency to warp over time. I have bonded Delrin to Gunmetal for my SP10 platter and the Delrin does an excellent job of damping. I guess this is why some of the high $$ TT's use it as platters.

1 hour ago, Warren Jones said:

Looks good Andy.

Can I ask why you used Delrin by itself and didn't bond it to a frame as Delrin has a tendency to warp over time. I have bonded Delrin to Gunmetal for my SP10 platter and the Delrin does an excellent job of damping. I guess this is why some of the high $$ TTs use it as platters.

Thanks, Warren.  :)

Yes, I saw the pic of that platter you had made - great job.  :thumb:

I had heard that Delrin can sometimes warp - so I guess I'm crossing my fingers.  :(  It would have been a pretty difficult job to bond it to a piece of steel - and make it look nice.  Doing this would also add weight to the chassis.  I'm hoping that as it is used for platters in some high $$ TTs ... maybe it won't be an issue?

Andy

19 hours ago, andyr said:

I had heard that Delrin can sometimes warp - so I guess I'm crossing my fingers.  :(  It would have been a pretty difficult job to bond it to a piece of steel - and make it look nice.  Doing this would also add weight to the chassis.  I'm hoping that as it is used for platters in some high $$ TTs ... maybe it won't be an issue?

Andy

Delrin warps because of the grain structure in the extrusion. The first Delrin top I put on my Gunmetal platter warped in a few days and popped a screw, so it went in the bin.

I suspect most of the high $$ TT's that use Delrin either injection mold the platter or make it from ROUND bar stock. Round bar does not warp because the grain is running along the bar. Sheet Delrin the grain runs across it and it was the label recess that caused my Delrin to warp.

Out of left field. I'm about to buy a home unit and I need to make some major sacrifices. My beloved Lyra Kleos cartridge (price $5950) is currently in Japan being completely stripped down and remade by Lyra, and will be returned to me in a condition identical to brand new with full Australian warranty. Is anyone here interested in picking it up for say $4500?

Edited by Warren M.
4 minutes ago, Warren M. said:

Out of left field. I'm about to buy a home unit and I need to make some major sacrifices. My beloved Lyra Kleos cartridge (price $5950) is currently in Japan being completely remade, and will be returned to me in a condition identical to brand new with full Australian warranty. Is anyone here interested in picking it up for say $4500?

^  ^  ^  @wikeeboy?

Andy

Thanks for thinking of me @andyr !

Problem is that i'm working from a complete blank sheet and need to hone down what cart will best suit my tt/tonearm/phono and music style....... oh and that annoying little thing called your budget :) Should be straight forward eh?

I hear great things about Lyra, but it's only one of many and i'm right at the start of my selection phase.