Show us your Turntables!!!

11 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

I'd prefer the Beetle. Not a fan of Golf drivers. Motorcycle experience.

It was fun to drive, certainly (practising handbrake 180s in the Monash Uni (gravel) carparks) ... but so is the Golf!  And the Golf is way ahead on acceleration, braking and handling.

Andy

PS: the motorcyclists I encounter, I treat with the greatest respect (given they all seem to be heavily built, wearing club colours)!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My refurbished Commonwealth 12C is custom rock maple plinth/stand and Schroder CB tonearm. New cartridge to come. Golden Age Audio Reference Phono 

Been a long time since I posted any new pics in this amazing thread.   After a complete ground up rebuild by SNA maestro @Shark, including an engineering masterpiece of a plinth with built-i

My Garrad 401 project is almost done . Brand new in box garrad 401 + custome made plattter/mat with sme 3012 & fr 64 fx tonearm . Some photos show how it is . Plinth is in final stage still need t

43 minutes ago, Cardiiiii said:

Kubrick/RB880/SL 

IMG_20201017_121838.thumb.jpg.7b330543c549973f2af55f02a8a44ead.jpg

Wonderful turntable! Spent many an hour and countless bottles of red enjoying John’s ( @scuzzii) Kubrick and Brinkmann combination.👍

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 17/10/2020 at 2:39 PM, Cardiiiii said:

Kubrick/RB880/SL 

IMG_20201017_121838.thumb.jpg.7b330543c549973f2af55f02a8a44ead.jpg

Try turn the ikea upside-down  and face the ikea logo to the back, see if you like it better.

Nice TT btw

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MachineMastering said:

Sec Arm Vestax 😊Not Great Looking  installation but Sound Great 😂🎷🎺

Are you sure that's the correct spindle to pivot distance? From the picture angle look like the offset will be quite off

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mloutfie said:

Are you sure that's the correct spindle to pivot distance? From the picture angle look like the offset will be quite off

Ah now correct sounds great and groove follow good works. I checked not damage records, I know this not professional installation but play toys very fun 🤣🤣🙏

My new baby is ready. First spin later this evening 😋

B523D12D-0C6E-41E2-84B2-7D01C2569B62.jpeg

7A088F99-472D-43B9-BD45-F04634EEA20B.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Love 2

Beautiful!  But can I suggest - as you've spent so much time on it, that it would be a pity not to get the best sound you can, out of it. 

Your c'weight is not as close to your pivot point as it ideally should be. 

If you can't get a heavier c'weight from the arm mfr ... get someone to machine a heavier c'weight - which would enable you to position it closer to the pivot. 

(Thus reducing inertia.)

Andy

22 hours ago, andyr said:

Beautiful!  But can I suggest - as you've spent so much time on it, that it would be a pity not to get the best sound you can, out of it. 

Your c'weight is not as close to your pivot point as it ideally should be. 

If you can't get a heavier c'weight from the arm mfr ... get someone to machine a heavier c'weight - which would enable you to position it closer to the pivot. 

(Thus reducing inertia.)

Andy

Thanks Andy!

I will have a look at the possibilities of an additional counterweight. It's a vintage Fidelity Research FR66S tonearm and as far as I know (as I bought it with the box) there is no additional weight as this is the weight that most owners use for the SPU and Koetsu's and I have not heard of or read anything regarding an improvement to the counterweight on these FR arms. I wonder whether there is a difference in the additional weight in static vs dynamic balanced tonearms.

I am still waiting for my new 12 inch tonearm for this 401 project to arrive from OS. It will be interesting to see what the CW differences are.

Just now, rossb said:

If you're interested in having a heavier counterweight made, these guys in the UK will custom make one to whatever specifications you like: https://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio

They made one for my Alphason arm and the workmanship is very good.

Thank you!

May come in useful at some stage as I may get them to do a heavier CW for an SME 3009 which I can then mount an SPU G type on.

In relation to a CW for the 66S, once I remount it on my Micro Seiki TT I will see whether adding the CW from the shorter 64S makes a difference and if it does then I may get one made.  

2 minutes ago, rossb said:

If you're interested in having a heavier counterweight made, these guys in the UK will custom make one to whatever specifications you like: https://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio

They made one for my Alphason arm and the workmanship is very good.

I asked about a CW (and arm board) at one point from this guy but I went through with it (wasn’t worth it on my lowly arm I suspect).

They also have done weights to go on top of the bearing tower (?) - check out the pics Tax, it was said to improve the arm further..

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Tax said:

Thanks Andy!

I will have a look at the possibilities of an additional counterweight. It's a vintage Fidelity Research FR66S tonearm and as far as I know (as I bought it with the box) there is no additional weight as this is the weight that most owners use for the SPU and Koetsu's and I have not heard of or read anything regarding an improvement to the counterweight on these FR arms

No, I would suspect there isn't much comment.  I'm talking about the final 10% ... back then, no-one probably cared.  :)

I wonder whether there is a difference in the additional weight in static vs dynamic balanced tonearm.

Sorry, I have no idea whether static vs. dynamic is important.  My point is that, for best sound ... the c'weight should be right up against the bearing housing. 

I am still waiting for my new 12 inch tonearm for this 401 project to arrive from OS. It will be interesting to see what the CW differences are.

In that case, yes, optimising the position of the current c'weight is perhaps of secondary importance.

Andy 

Edited by andyr
  • Like 1

Beautiful job Tax. You have to be happy with the look of that Plinth. I trust the skin has started to grow back on your fingertips after all that sanding. Unless you have actually tackled a project like this it's hard to visualize just how much time and effort goes into just sanding to realize finishes like this.

Enjoy the fruits of your labor, cheers, Mark.

• Like 1

On 06/11/2020 at 9:25 PM, Shark said:

Beautiful job Tax. You have to be happy with the look of that Plinth. I trust the skin has started to grow back on your fingertips after all that sanding. Unless you have actually tackled a project like this it's hard to visualize just how much time and effort goes into just sanding to realize finishes like this.

Enjoy the fruits of your labor, cheers, Mark.

Thanks Mark!

I am very pleased with the design and implementation as things are working out as planned thus far. It is always nice to be able to take a conceptual idea to a physical product that works as envisioned.

Yes, there was some loss of skin and added callouses  during this build.

Tweaky Sunday. I replaced the stock (HRS)!feet on my Mofi t/t with Iso-Acoustics Iso-pucks  although I have no complaints with the HRS other than their tendency to slide around a bit on my shelves., the Iso-pucks look that bit more substantial. Sound wise although early days - the bass seems that bit more "tighter/controlled" . Happy with the results and not overly expensive.

FE0A820A-77CA-4604-9CD0-CF960F38FE69.jpeg

D51A8CA2-8560-4415-848D-5549FC0980F7.jpeg

1C7E3D01-994F-4C7A-BCA6-8702BEE3CC1B.jpeg

23A4FBEA-4977-4652-B9BC-C54A9FEEAAE2.jpeg

Edited by cafe67
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 06/11/2020 at 3:30 PM, Tax said:

Thank you!

May come in useful at some stage as I may get them to do a heavier CW for an SME 3009 which I can then mount an SPU G type on.

I make counterweights for all the Rega arms as well as custom stubs etc, I can insert Delrin sleeves into the weights if needed. All in best quality brass with brushed finish.

• Like 1

Here is my current table I am testing lots of stuff on, custom machined legs and caps with delrin feet, custom machined VTA mount for the RB330 series arm, and 3 layer inserts which look great with the Oracle lightbox setup!

ORIGINE_Full_custom_SA330.jpg

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, SonicArt said:

Here is my current table I am testing lots of stuff on, custom machined legs and caps with delrin feet, custom machined VTA mount for the RB330 series arm, and 3 layer inserts which look great with the Oracle lightbox setup!

ORIGINE_Full_custom_SA330.jpg

Nice work!

The 3 layers you mention is that the illuminated acrylic?

11 minutes ago, SonicArt said:

I make counterweights for all the Rega arms as well as custom stubs etc, I can insert Delrin sleeves into the weights if needed. All in best quality brass with brushed finish.

Just checked out your website - very interesting. Do you also do re-wires for Rega arms?

To answer the light question, yes the table comes standard with one insert of whatever colour one desires (thats on the list ;)) and you can fit up to 3 of them in there. The light box is a passthrough design from Oracle, basically your power supply plugs into it, and it plugs into the outboard motor drive. It has a slider to change light intensity or turn it off completely.

To the arm question, yes I can rewire arms, used to do it quite a bit in the past, I have cardas litz and external cable is OL coax same as used on the Encounter etc arms which are in the 2.5k region. I can also do one piece cardas wiring loom with faraday cage, used to do these a bit, can put a cardas plug base into the arm as well if you want to be able to swap external cables around.

I am in the middle of sound testing a new end stub for the Rega arms, its been on the to do list for a while, machined in brass and proving to be a noticeable step up from my original alloy one. Also my new counterweight design works on 3 contact points principle, something that will be updated on the website very soon. Basically I precision ream the bore, then offset machine which gives us 3 contact points, a bit like a lathe chuck holding bar stock.