Show us your Turntables!!!

On 14/08/2020 at 6:15 PM, demmauhong said:

ANY ONE CAN TELL MW WHAT GOING ON WITH MY POST NEW TURNTABLE YESTERDAY AFTERNOON ?  Been told something happy , some member  NASTY with my post  ???? 

WHAT GOING ON ?

PLEASE TELL ME ?

B353F305-ACBE-4D07-9D3B-705743972308.jpeg

@djb

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My refurbished Commonwealth 12C is custom rock maple plinth/stand and Schroder CB tonearm. New cartridge to come. Golden Age Audio Reference Phono 

Been a long time since I posted any new pics in this amazing thread.   After a complete ground up rebuild by SNA maestro @Shark, including an engineering masterpiece of a plinth with built-i

My Garrad 401 project is almost done . Brand new in box garrad 401 + custome made plattter/mat with sme 3012 & fr 64 fx tonearm . Some photos show how it is . Plinth is in final stage still need t

On 05/08/2020 at 11:34 AM, rossb said:

A "new" arm on my Kuzma Stabi Ref 2- an Alphason HR 100 MCS (thanks @missmurphy).

The Alphason has replaced a Kuzma 4 Point. I bought it as a temporary solution while I think about the next arm for the Stabi Ref, since it is a drop-in replacement. I know the Alphason was highly regarded in its day but I wasn't prepared for just how good it sounds. It actually sounds amazing, and a great combination with the Kuzma turntable - the essential neutrality of the turntable really works well with the fast, lean, engaging character of the Alphason. I actually prefer it to the 4 Point. The 4 Point was clearly better on all the "hi fi" criteria - it could flesh out the recording venue right to the back walls - and the Alphason is not quite as resolving and a little cooler sounding, but so engaging and musical!

I was going to sent it to Audio Origami for a health check and a re-wire - the VDH cabling gets some decidedly mixed reviews - but it sounds so fabulous in stock form I think I will leave it alone.

My search for a replacement for the 4 Point may well have ended with this 30+ year old arm.

P1010215.JPG

P1010216.JPG

P1010220.JPG

P1010217.JPG

looks great Ross.  Very pleased to see its beaten your expectations.  Nice matching with the Ruby as well. (did you buy another after I grabbed yours..?)  

• Like 1

Thanks, John. I was very surprised by this arm, it has really transformed the sound of the turntable. It is probably not the last arm I will try, but right now I am very happy with it.

I recently bought another Ruby Z. I realised I was missing the Benz sound, and wanted to hear one again. It really is a great cartridge, a bit richer sounding than the Dynavector, and better suited to the arm with its higher compliance.

• Like 2

Hello,

I am a new member of this forum and thought I'd share a pic of my Linn LP12/Naim Aro/Benz Ruby ZH Zebra Wood MC cartridge/Pink Link DC motor and battery power supply.  This combo has given me many years of musical enjoyment, but sadly my power supply has finally died.  I'm currently investigating a replacement motor and supply to get this analog rig back up and running making music again.

Wishing you all the very best,

Donfullsizeoutput_15da.thumb.jpeg.7a4066196658702fe2ebc9177c1ce030.jpegfullsizeoutput_117e.thumb.jpeg.80615579d1af55dbac399c3b116373dd.jpeg

Edited by No Regrets
  • Like 20

5 hours ago, metal beat said:

Excellent Peter.  Was Ross doing a clean out 😁

Nope this one was brand new Shane.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Josh Ballard said:

Custom TT with parts and design from a project xpression, with platter upgrade and motor upgrade. 
custom plinth made from solid Mackay Cedar (I know, I know hard wood resonates) 

6F5F8644-089D-425F-A87D-B130746E726D.jpeg

302C2B7E-86D5-4351-AF5C-CD1B276D7188.jpeg

At what frequency and with what amount of energy do you think your plinth will resonate?

36 minutes ago, Josh Ballard said:

custom plinth made from solid Mackay Cedar (I know, I know hard wood resonates) 

Sure - a hardwood' that is hard ... resonates.  Like, say ironwood or redgum.

But surely cedar - although classified as a hardwood - is actually quite soft?  So I would've thought it is not very resonant.

Andy

Cedar is a softwood. Both Cedar (Cedrus sp.) and Douglas Fir (aka Western Red Cedar), are softwoods by structure and definition.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, andyr said:

It ain't that simple.       For example, balsa wood is a hardwood.   Solid plinths, made of just one wood are also potentially a problem.

43 minutes ago, andyr said:

But surely cedar - although classified as a hardwood - is actually quite soft?  So I would've thought it is not very resonant.

Andy

Mackay cedar is relatively hard compared to Cedar or western cedar. 

im not 100% sure about how it would resonate but have heard it would. 

It still sounds pretty amazing 

31 minutes ago, pwstereo said:

Cedar is a softwood. Both Cedar (Cedrus sp.) and Douglas Fir (aka Western Red Cedar), are softwoods by structure and definition.

Mackay cedar is quite definitely then your fir and western or even the harder white cedar. It’s moderately hard. Not all timber’s of cedars are soft. Especially when you get to the more exotics. 

Mackay cedar is a hardwood and it actually grows quite well around here which of course is a long way south of Mackay but we're in a sub tropical climate here that stops almost at the QLD border and stops south halfway to Grafton along the coastal strip.

'Tuner' is how I first heard it described and these were fence post I'd pulled out and they came from QLD and early in the 20th century there was a lot of trade this way where things like fence posts split and ready to go would come down on coastal traders(boats) to here and depart with timber and other goodies.

I learnt that 'tuner' came from it's scientific name which ends with 'Toona' and it's also known as Red Sirus and Acacia cedar.

South of Mackay down near Hervey Bay and Maryborough (famous for it's beautiful Queenslander style houses) you'll find many old houses all have hardwood frames(of course they do!... The modern frame of course is built of radiata pine isn't it...) and those frames are Mackay cedar...it's very definitely a hardwood.

How can you tell?

Push your thumbnail into the timber and if you leave a half moon impression in it then your talking softwoods. Red cedar, Australian red cedar is a beautiful cabinet timber used for windows, used for door jambs, stairs ect but not framing...too soft, you can push your thumbnail into it. Try doing that with Mackay Cedar, you wont.

So the Mackay Cedar plinth is quite definitely a hardwood plinth and a lovely one.

If you want to test your bog standard Linn LP12 plinth out of curiosity then push your thumbnail into it...it aint hard to do.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Josh Ballard said:

It’s moderately hard. Not all timber’s of cedars are soft. Especially when you get to the more exotics. 

Softwood isn't soft wood, hardwood isn't hard wood.

Balsa is a hardwood for example.

The difference is in the structure of the wood, coniferous trees are softwood (also typically evergreen), trees that produce flowers are typically hardwood (also typically deciduous).

I did a bit of googling, and I see that Mackay Cedar isn't a cedar, just like Tasmanian Oak isn't an oak (it's a Eucalypt), it's a marketing term, not botanically accurate.

• Like 4
40 minutes ago, Luc said:

How can you tell?

Push your thumbnail into the timber and if you leave a half moon impression in it then your talking softwoods.

That's not valid, balsa is very soft, a thumbnail would leave quite an impression, but it's a hardwood.

Hardwoods have pores, softwoods don't. Yew is quite hard, but it's a softwood.

2 hours ago, Luc said:

Mackay cedar is a hardwood and it actually grows quite well around here which of course is a long way south of Mackay but we're in a sub tropical climate here that stops almost at the QLD border and stops south halfway to Grafton along the coastal strip.

'Tuner' is how I first heard it described and these were fence post I'd pulled out and they came from QLD and early in the 20th century there was a lot of trade this way where things like fence posts split and ready to go would come down on coastal traders(boats) to here and depart with timber and other goodies.

I learnt that 'tuner' came from it's scientific name which ends with 'Toona' and it's also known as Red Sirus and Acacia cedar.

South of Mackay down near Hervey Bay and Maryborough (famous for it's beautiful Queenslander style houses) you'll find many old houses all have hardwood frames(of course they do!... The modern frame of course is built of radiata pine isn't it...) and those frames are Mackay cedar...it's very definitely a hardwood.

How can you tell?

Push your thumbnail into the timber and if you leave a half moon impression in it then your talking softwoods. Red cedar, Australian red cedar is a beautiful cabinet timber used for windows, used for door jambs, stairs ect but not framing...too soft, you can push your thumbnail into it. Try doing that with Mackay Cedar, you wont.

So the Mackay Cedar plinth is quite definitely a hardwood plinth and a lovely one.

If you want to test your bog standard Linn LP12 plinth out of curiosity then push your thumbnail into it...it aint hard to do.

Thanks Luc! 
Seems like you know quite a bit about timber! 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, pwstereo said:

That's not valid, balsa is very soft, a thumbnail would leave quite an impression, but it's a hardwood.

Hardwoods have pores, softwoods don't. Yew is quite hard, but it's a softwood.

Wow, the things I learn on this site...

1 hour ago, pwstereo said:

That's not valid

Bunk it is.   Balsa is a technical hardwood only and I think that's based on a rating that decides hardwoods by their leaf size and structure. Been awhile since I read up on it.

Show me a balsa fence post or a balsa framed house, it's a definition only your talking about  and not a reality. Yew is hard but almost malleable if green but once dried or seasoned by flame you wont push a thumbnail into it, it's why they made spears out of it. Green oak you can push you nail into it but try it when it's dried...wont happen. All northern hemisphere trees these too.

Jamming your thumbnail into timber is an old (excuse the bad pun but...)rule of thumb you use for hardness,rottenness, type, age ect.

A balsa plinth...hmm, it'd be light, white beech(Aust white beech that is) would be nicer and nearly as light and it's a proper hardwood deemed soft(haha).

7 hours ago, Luc said:

Bunk it is.

Jamming your thumbnail into timber is an old (excuse the bad pun but...)rule of thumb you use for hardness,rottenness, type, age ect.

The physical softness of a wood is not the way it is defined as a hardwood or a softwood. Your thumbnail test is not a valid way to determine hardwood from softwood.

• Moderators

Cold and wet, so the stereo got a clean today. Here's the nice and shiny Thales without the dust😀

It has a one-off paint finish by the factory.

Thales.jpg

• Like 11

I’m still getting to grips with the P10. Ask me in a week or two.

But some initial thoughts. I previously owned the RP8 and RP10 a few years ago. I ended up selling the RP10 and keeping the RP8 (for a while) because I found the RP10 a little bright and edgy, though better in many respects than the RP8.

I am having exactly the same experience with the P8 and P10. But this time round the P10 is winning me over. The P10 definitely sounds bigger, more detailed and more dramatic. I still think the ceramic platter adds a little brightness and edge, but I am finding the sound more compelling and engaging. I am hoping that with some more running in of both the arm cable and the bearing, the sound will smooth out a little.

The P8 is definitely the more forgiving turntable, and has a little less "character". If and when I ultimately downsize my vinyl system I'm sure I could live happily with a P8. I'm less sure of the P10 because of its distinctive character, but it is definitely sounding very good and very musical.

Edited by rossb
  • Like 2
52 minutes ago, proftournesol said:

Cold and wet, so the stereo got a clean today. Here's the nice and shiny Thales without the dust😀

Thales.jpg

Sweet Prof - looks wonderful and sounds better. 

Luv my Simplicity II tonearm - truly a game changer.  The end of the record sounds the same as the middle and the beginning.  Tangential tracking 👍

• Like 1
  • Moderators
56 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Sweet Prof - looks wonderful and sounds better. 

Luv my Simplicity II tonearm - truly a game changer.  The end of the record sounds the same as the middle and the beginning.  Tangential tracking 👍

Yeah, it a dynamic accurate tonearm. It brings out the best of the Strain Gauge.😀

• Like 1
9 hours ago, wen said:

@No Regrets, lovely system, what are your speakers and the valve amp on the floor?

Hello Wen!  Thank you so much for the nice compliment!  My speakers are Dunlavy SCIV's Signatures.  They have been my most favorite speaker of all time.  They are 72inches tall, 12inches wide and 18inches deep.  They weigh 180 pounds each.  They have two 10inch woofers, two 5 1/2 inch mid woofers and one 1 inch soft dome tweater.  Their sensitivity is 91dB/W/M with a very flat and even nominal 5 ohm impedance.  Very valve friendly due to the high sensitivity and the flat impedance.  

The valve amp that you noticed on the floor is a home built amp that my good friend and I built together.  It is inspired by the "Pilot Corporation" using their output transformers, vintage Allen bradley carbon resistors, oil caps , etc.  It is a push pull design using a pair of German EL84 per channel giving me about 15 very dynamic but very sweet watts per channel.

I will try and attach a couple of pictures for you....

Thanks again for your wonderful comment!  Wishing you all the very best!

Don

0581299-R1-006-1A_001.thumb.jpg.7463cfdeacc2bb9cfc345625a645e054.jpgfullsizeoutput_1c3a.thumb.jpeg.d4e7d1d30f913b12511373443cdcfd5d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_117e.jpeg

Edited by No Regrets
Tried to add photo
  • Like 9

very nice Don, i had a Linn a few years back, long story, now a tweaked old Rega Planar 2 ,a slate tile with silicone layer inbetween the plinth, using an Elekit TU-8200 valve 8wpc amp and monitor audio rs6 speakers, the Rega has a Moth 202arm and ortofon quintet cartridge, using a NAD PP2e phono, very easy non-fatiguing sound, can't listen too loud, saturates my hearing aids

20200709_224740.jpg

Edited by wen
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Very nice as well, Wen!  Can never go wrong with valves and vinyl :)  Rega makes great turntables too!  I love music... it's good for the soul.  I love your speaker stands, by the way!

Best Wishes,

Don

14 hours ago, proftournesol said:

It has a one-off paint finish by the factory

Did someone say one off paint finishes.......by their owner.....:yes:

IMG_0758.thumb.jpg.1ff2d7eb65d5480690a7fe8b2aaf87c8.jpgIMG_2105.thumb.jpg.3bcaf831b1ab3dc1475a5dd74f01b1bf.jpg1397645286_KD2.thumb.jpg.e0856ecf851282ef6b067fe9af757eca.jpg

Tase....

• Like 11
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, proftournesol said:

That Black Mountain album (IV) is a corker!

• Like 1

Re the topic of hard and soft wood.

I came across an old sewing machine table in delapidated state

was made in 1937! 

Striped it and refurbed it with just a linseed oil coating after a long process.

thick veneer panels and solid hardwood Legs and trimming.

Took out the cast iron spring assembly and left all the rest of the history there.

Absolute stunning piece of HI FI furniture.

They do not make furniture like this anymore and people cannot see the quality!

My Elac miracoid 610 is just looking so right on it.

The others are a Rotel and Sanyo with both the Micro Seiko S.H.clock motors  in them.

Synchronous Hysteresis Clock motors designed for accuracy plus operates noiseless and soundless. Specific drive motors for accurate clocks!

Very interesting articles are on the net!

IMG_20200823_093426029.jpg

IMG_20200822_131836963.jpg

Edited by Analog Revenge
add
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, rossb said:

I’m still getting to grips with the P10. Ask me in a week or two.

But some initial thoughts. I previously owned the RP8 and RP10 a few years ago. I ended up selling the RP10 and keeping the RP8 (for a while) because I found the RP10 a little bright and edgy, though better in many respects than the RP8.

I am having exactly the same experience with the P8 and P10. But this time round the P10 is winning me over. The P10 definitely sounds bigger, more detailed and more dramatic. I still think the ceramic platter adds a little brightness and edge, but I am finding the sound more compelling and engaging. I am hoping that with some more running in of both the arm cable and the bearing, the sound will smooth out a little.

The P8 is definitely the more forgiving turntable, and has a little less "character". If and when I ultimately downsize my vinyl system I'm sure I could live happily with a P8. I'm less sure of the P10 because of its distinctive character, but it is definitely sounding very good and very musical.

Thanks for that. Price:Performance would you pick the P8 over the P10?

3 minutes ago, Cardiiiii said:

Thanks for that. Price:Performance would you pick the P8 over the P10?

Definitely. The P8 is half the cost and 80-90% of the performance, and for some tastes may be preferable.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, No Regrets said:

Hello Wen!  Thank you so much for the nice compliment!  My speakers are Dunlavy SCIV's Signatures.  They have been my most favorite speaker of all time.  They are 72inches tall, 12inches wide and 18inches deep.  They weigh 180 pounds each.  They have two 10inch woofers, two 5 1/2 inch mid woofers and one 1 inch soft dome tweater.  Their sensitivity is 91dB/W/M with a very flat and even nominal 5 ohm impedance.  Very valve friendly due to the high sensitivity and the flat impedance.  

The valve amp that you noticed on the floor is a home built amp that my good friend and I built together.  It is inspired by the "Pilot Corporation" using their output transformers, vintage Allen bradley carbon resistors, oil caps , etc.  It is a push pull design using a pair of German EL84 per channel giving me about 15 very dynamic but very sweet watts per channel.

I will try and attach a couple of pictures for you....

Thanks again for your wonderful comment!  Wishing you all the very best!

Don

Hey Welcome Don!

You know how there are spelling pedants across the web, I'm the metric version of them😜

So for people who don't know the antiquated measuring system still in use in the USA here's Don's measurements in metric and being Dunlevy speakers they are gonna be YUGE! Lol.

My speakers are Dunlavy SCIV's Signatures.  They have been my most favourite speaker of all time.  They are 1.8m tall, 300mm wide and 450mm deep.  They weigh  81 and a bit kg's each.

Lovely system Don and the cello ...wow! Fantastic.

Cheers mate.(mate=bud)

• Like 2