metal beat

Show us your Turntables!!!

2 hours ago, waricle said:

Got the winter setup going,  valves and vinyl- what could be warmer? 

IMG20180711163100.jpg

...and JR 149s.

4 hours ago, waricle said:

Nudies, but still singing!

0B349A6D-ADBE-40FF-BD0B-8C763AA9C3DC.jpeg

What speakers are those? Great to have speakers that work in modern home environments. 

57 minutes ago, MrRogers said:

They look like JR149. A version of the BBC LS3/5a.

That is correct. A better sounding version at that. They aren't modern though, made in the mid 80's.

3 hours ago, PKay said:

What speakers are those? Great to have speakers that work in modern home environments. 

Jim  Rogers was responsible for these using the ls3/5a drivers but in a significantly different cabinet. I listen to a pair every time I turn on the tv.

1 hour ago, pearcey said:

I've got some of those speakers in my shed!

Shed system, or just lying around? If it's the latter, let me know if you want to move them on (by PM).

4 minutes ago, t_mike said:

Shed system, or just lying around? If it's the latter, let me know if you want to move them on (by PM).

Somehow I can’t see anyone owning these speakers moving them on. I’m next in line if they do. 

2 hours ago, t_mike said:

That is correct. A better sounding version at that. They aren't modern though, made in the mid 80's.

They look fantastic. I would think if  @guruis using them at home they would be excellent sounding as well.

Edited by PKay

34 minutes ago, PKay said:

They look fantastic. I would think if  @guruis using them at home they would be excellent sounding as well.

I think you have to appreciate that speakers of this nature were used as a broadcast monitoring device principally based on reproducing speech and the vocal range as naturally as possible. They are not for everything but what they do, they do exceptionally well.

Fabulous midrange speaker, as a well respected audio guru told me once “we live in the midrange” They’re great for vocals, not just broadcast but most types of song. Add a quality sub if that’s your thing too, JR made a cylindrical one to match that sadly I don’t have.

I'll get them out and have a look; I'll let you all know!  They used to belong to my dad.

The 149s are are cylindrical. The big brother (JR150) was a 3 way.