Show us your Turntables!!!

Oddly the arm is what got my interest in the first place datafone and it is a beautiful bit of kit.......................

SMEVTonearm.jpg

Cheers,

Keith

Damn! that looks even better in the close up :)

Hergest....What another one of these decks :thumb:

Mmmm....very nice, and it even has a holder for that special bottle of Red :)

Seriously, what is that for?

Is it a guard for the cart?

Edit:I think I answered my own question :thumb:

the bottom steel/alloy plate holds the 4 corner towers and the motor with the top plate isolated via those rubber o-rings holding the bearing and arm assemblies. it essentially relies on mass and the o-rings for it's decoupling. the machining is flawless. the mark 3 version gets much closer in sound to the model 30 due to the increase in mass by 50% , both in the plinth and the platter and the use of the controller from the model 30.

Mmmm....very nice, and it even has a holder for that special bottle of Red :)

Seriously, what is that for?

Is it a guard for the cart?

Edit:I think I answered my own question :thumb:

Indeed you have answered your own question. The arm sits out very precariously and the simple bent bit of metal (expertly bent as it's a SME:)) prevents you from knocking the arm. It works perfectly.

Some of the thinking behind the Model 20 is most impressive. The motor sits on 3 very fine pointed feet on the bottom plinth and is tensioned with a rubber band that goes around 2 'hooks' on the bottom plinth and one on the top of the motor. To counteract any pulling on the platter and hence the top plinth when the motor spins there is a corresponding rubber band pulling the other way that connects the bottom to the top plinth and keeps everything in its proper position. Mass also helps a great deal.

Posted before elsewhere

but

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38171[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]38172[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]38173[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]38174[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]38175[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]38176[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]38177[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]38178[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]38179[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]38180[/ATTACH]

• Like 1

Yamaha GT2000

GT stands for Gigantic & Tremdous !

The platter is huge on piece forged and the machined AL weight Iis 5 kg I think, the mat you see is an Oyiade mat so that is the size of an LP and also AL

The mat has a slight dish, so with a heavy weight can also help flatten small to medium warps

Ths turntable can be had with an optional gunmetal patter that weighs 18kg, so the bearing is not only quiet but robust

Plinth is not a box, what you see is solid layers of partical board with a few cavities for motor and arm, constrained layer damping in modern parlance

In fact kind of like a extra heavy Once Analogue

With DD motor :thumb::)

Let us not forget the wonderful SME Model 10. No suspension or plinth on this beauty. Nearly 10 years old now and has never missed a beat.

Model10.jpg

sme-goldring.jpg

sme-1.jpg

Hi Hergest, I'm just curious that in the last pic I see that the power light, 33, 45 and lock light are on..........I assume the 33 light doesn't go out when playing at 45 speed, as it does on the Model 20?

Cheers,

Keith

Yamaha GT2000. GT stands for Gigantic & Tremdous !

Plinth is not a box, what you see is solid layers of particle board with a few cavities for motor and arm, constrained layer damping in modern parlance.

Particle board, eh ... sounds like a prime candidate for upgrading with a slate plinth. :thumb:

Regards,

Andy

Hi Hergest, I'm just curious that in the last pic I see that the power light, 33, 45 and lock light are on..........I assume the 33 light doesn't go out when playing at 45 speed, as it does on the Model 20?

Cheers,

Keith

sme-1.jpg

Keith, the early Model 10 only does 33 and 45rpm and you have a dedicated on/off switch so you press the required speed and then press the on button so the lights in this case are Power,On, 33 and Lock. The unlit light is for 45. I still have great trouble with the Model 20 in that i keep on forgetting to press the speed button to turn it off. I find i press the 45 rpm all the time and then i go "bugger" and press the 33, and then repeat "bugger" until i realise i've got to press the illuminated speed to stop the damn thing.

Yamaha GT2000

GT stands for Gigantic & Tremdous !

The platter is huge on piece forged and the machined AL weight Iis 5 kg I think, the mat you see is an Oyiade mat so that is the size of an LP and also AL

The mat has a slight dish, so with a heavy weight can also help flatten small to medium warps

Ths turntable can be had with an optional gunmetal patter that weighs 18kg, so the bearing is not only quiet but robust

Plinth is not a box, what you see is solid layers of partical board with a few cavities for motor and arm, constrained layer damping in modern parlance

In fact kind of like a extra heavy Once Analogue

With DD motor :thumb::)

Excellent. Thanks very much. Great choice of cartridge by the way

I think we'll make another trip in the New Year mate and of course, please make sure you call if you're in Melbourne with a few hours to spare.

Cheers,

Keith

Look forward to seeing you again in the new year mate, I think you will be in SA before l am in Melbourne next. Allow a bit more time this visit for a few coldies and some music. Is it really nearly a year since last time! Christ my life is flashing before my eyes......