Show us your Turntables!!!

Yes, very nice, Keith, I'd love an SME V arm too.

I don't recognise the turntable. What is it? It is belt-driven and has a separate power supply and motor unit?

I imagine set-up is very important?

Hi Orpheus, the deck is a SME Model 20 and yes it is belt drive and has a separate power supply which you can see just to the left of the deck in the pics.

Cheers,

Keith

Thanks for the link. An interesting read. I am very happy with the SME IV arm, it is very detailed and alive.

Your turntable looks to have a very elegant and simple design, with excellent isolation, and no doubt a very high quality motor.

Darth likes the Dark Side, Keith.

Hell, even your cartridge is black!

Nothing whimsical about the tonearm or the suspension towers either.

All in all a very forbidding looking turntable.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38155[/ATTACH]

Hi meowgly,

I do know who Darth Vader is...........I'm not a complete Luddite as many may believe!:( I thought my last two decks were better looking than the SME for sure, but unfortunately looks aren't everything in this hobby. I am working on a more colourful cartridge though.:)

Here's the two that preceded the SME and I miss both to be honest, but there are rules and at times we have to compromise..........otherwise, I'd probably have at least a half dozen turntables sitting here.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38156[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]38157[/ATTACH]

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 1

Hi meowgly,

I do know who Darth Vader is...........I'm not a complete Luddite as many may believe!:( I thought my last two decks were better looking than the SME for sure, but unfortunately looks aren't everything in this hobby. I am working on a more colourful cartridge though.:)

Here's the two that preceded the SME and I miss both to be honest, but there are rules and at times we have to compromise..........otherwise, I'd probably have at least a half dozen turntables sitting here.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38156[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]38157[/ATTACH]

Cheers,

Keith

FWIW, I found a big improvement in dynamism and musicality from the Garrard 401 one I changed from a composite plinth to a slate plinth, and from a 12 inch Jelco arm to an SME IV. (All with Michael Browne's assistance.)

Darth likes the Dark Side, Keith.

Hell, even your cartridge is black!

Nothing whimsical about the tonearm or the suspension towers either.

All in all a very forbidding looking turntable.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38155[/ATTACH]

you would be surprised how physically small the turntable is in real life. i'm setting up a new cartridge on one tomorrow up at wentworth falls and i have a new 20/3 in the city to do as well next week with a kondo io cartridge. fun and games. the 20/2 was owned by the guy with the new 20/3 but after an offer he could'nt refuse, was traded and then resold to a guy who was a mate years ago and thought that he wanted to buy a really good tt before he died. bucket list sort of thing. problem was the salesperson sold him a knackered cartridge into the deal, hence the need for a new cartridge.

cheers, g.

FWIW, I found a big improvement in dynamism and musicality from the Garrard 401 one I changed from a composite plinth to a slate plinth, and from a 12 inch Jelco arm to an SME IV. (All with Michael Browne's assistance.)

The Jarrah plinths worked well on the 401s and I was a big fan of the Jelco 12" arm too, but I'm sure the SME V would have been a major improvement and I did actually think about it for a very short time, before I set up the SME. Your Garrard is a terrific spinner and I have not discounted owning another one, I just wasn't able to keep them all now, so the Garrards had to unfortunately go.

Hi Keith,

I really like SME stuff (who doesn't?).

But the blackness is unusual - given that so many tonearm/turntable manufacturers love their bling.

cheers.

I've become use to it meogly and as guru mentioned, it is a very compact turntable and definitely takes up less room than the Garrard did.

Cheers,

Keith

I haven't posted a pic in this thread yet, so here's my current vinyl rig.

SMEModel20-3.jpg

Cheers,

Keith

Very nice indeed, love the all black look and a serious looking arm :(

Good looking deck you have there Hergest.............is that an Ortofon cartridge?

Cheers,

Keith

That's the Cadenza Black which i've now moved on to the Model 10 in the study. I've got an Ortofon Jubilee now on the Model 20 which i much prefer, it's always been my favourite cartridge and the current one is my 3rd.