Show us your Turntables!!!

17 minutes ago, Guzzista said:

Kiseki, “Purple Heart” a truly amazing cartridge.

Hah, I thought it might be (from the length of its wood body)!  :thumb:

Yes, I've listened to 2 different systems recently, having PHs.  Both wonderful sound.

What are you loading it at, Greg?

Andy

Edited by andyr

Got one of the my TT's running playing what it knows best with a brand new AT540ML. Looking forward in hearing a few 12" 45rpm cut pressings.

1215208221_PXL_20210327_0518469352.thumb.jpg.2c099f9236e5a6b479596b578293d3ab.jpg

1360902666_PXL_20210327_0803437372.thumb.jpg.2194d2a3a887fa8995e4f27a87c723d4.jpg

1959181444_PXL_20210327_0733156602.thumb.jpg.adcb90c2d8ecf994cd78376c97cfd33b.jpg

Edited by Sansui77
  • Like 9
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, Charly said:

So 6 years and 2 false starts but finally got the top 3. Sansui Sr 838, Xr Q7,  Sr 929. I think I’m done with Sansui turntables now.

Nice setup.

Yeah I'm the same, two tables are more than enough to look after (838 & 929).

Edited by Sansui77

On 26/03/2021 at 11:09 PM, andyr said:

Hah, I thought it might be (from the length of its wood body)!  :thumb:

Yes, I've listened to 2 different systems recently, having PHs.  Both wonderful sound.

What are you loading it at, Greg?

Andy

Andy,

450 ohms, I have not tried Bob Levi's advice to set at 800-1000ohms yet, but that does seem excessive.

BTW sorry for the late reply I have been away.

Cheers

Edited by Guzzista
spelling

10 minutes ago, Guzzista said:

BTW sorry for the late reply I have been away.

Absolutely NP, Greg.  :thumb:

10 minutes ago, Guzzista said:

Andy,

450 ohms, I have not tried Bob Levi's advice to set at 800-1000 ohms yet, but that does seem excessive.

Aah, I'm afraid I don't know Bob Levi ... and I didn't know someone had made any loading recommendations for the PH.  Can you give me the link to Bob's article/advice?

I asked about what you were loading it with because I recently heard a PH ... and the guy was loading it at 600 ohms (because he didn't have much choice with the phono stage he was using).  I took over a collection of 'load plugs' for him to try and was interested that he subsequently decided 3300 ohms gave the best sound (he tried high and lower).

To me, as the internal coil impedance of the PH is 420 ohms ... I would expect the optimum loading would be somewhere between 470 ohms and 4700 ohms (standard res values).  So I can believe 3300 is a good load.  :)

Why do you think that 800-1000 ohms is "excessive"?

Andy

On 29/03/2021 at 7:34 PM, andyr said:

Absolutely NP, Greg.  :thumb:

Aah, I'm afraid I don't know Bob Levi ... and I didn't know someone had made any loading recommendations for the PH.  Can you give me the link to Bob's article/advice?

I asked about what you were loading it with because I recently heard a PH ... and the guy was loading it at 600 ohms (because he didn't have much choice with the phono stage he was using).  I took over a collection of 'load plugs' for him to try and was interested that he subsequently decided 3300 ohms gave the best sound (he tried high and lower).

To me, as the internal coil impedance of the PH is 420 ohms ... I would expect the optimum loading would be somewhere between 470 ohms and 4700 ohms (standard res values).  So I can believe 3300 is a good load.  :)

Why do you think that 800-1000 ohms is "excessive"?

Andy

Link to the Bob Levi review below...

https://positive-feedback.com/Issue74/kiseki_purpleheart.htm

Robert H Levi (Bob Levi) is the author of "Positive Feedback" a highly respected audiopile and reviewer. Magenta Audio, wholesalers of the Kiseki Purple Heart cartridge also refer to his preferred set up on their web page.

My Pass Labs XP-17 phono amp has many load settings, on my system 800 is to high.

Cheers

Guzzista,

1 hour ago, Guzzista said:

Link to the Bob Levi review below...

https://positive-feedback.com/Issue74/kiseki_purpleheart.htm

Robert H Levi (Bob Levi) is the author of "Positive Feedback" a highly respected audiopile and reviewer. Magenta Audio, wholesalers of the Kiseki Purple Heart cartridge also refer to his preferred set up on their web page.

My Pass Labs XP-17 phono amp has many load settings, on my system 800 is to high.

Cheers

Guzzista,

LOL .  I find Levi one of, if not the worst reviewer ever. Is is still reviewing?

Perhaps @andyr can explain why the cart should be loaded at 800-1000ohms when he uses a SS phono stage with SUT's with choices of 4ohms, 15 and 40.

Edited by metal beat

2 hours ago, metal beat said:

Perhaps @andyr can explain why the cart should be loaded at 800-1000ohms when he uses a SS phono stage with SUT's with choices of 4ohms, 15 and 40.

You mean the (good?) Mr Levi uses an ss phono stage with a SUT, Shane?  (coz I certainly don't!  :lol: )

My recommendations for loading are simply 10-100x coil impedance - coz that's what I've found works.  Exactly whereabouts in this range is appropriate ... is entirely up to the listener!  :)  The higher the loading value ... the more air there is in the soundstage - but the bass loses tightness, the higher load you go.  Which I'm sure you know.  :thumb:

Andy

1 hour ago, andyr said:

You mean the (good?) Mr Levi uses an ss phono stage with a SUT, Shane?  (coz I certainly don't!  :lol: )

My recommendations for loading are simply 10-100x coil impedance - coz that's what I've found works.  Exactly whereabouts in this range is appropriate ... is entirely up to the listener!  :)  The higher the loading value ... the more air there is in the soundstage - but the bass loses tightness, the higher load you go.  Which I'm sure you know.  :thumb:

Andy

Good Andy?    absolutely not.  totally agree with you

On 28/03/2021 at 8:07 PM, Charly said:

So 6 years and 2 false starts but finally got the top 3. Sansui Sr 838, Xr Q7,  Sr 929. I think I’m done with Sansui turntables now.

B56630BB-9C2C-4012-91A1-885F75147E7F.jpeg

Turntables? You have turntables? I couldn't take my eyes off the CA2000 and the pair of BA2000's.

(I apologise for drooling)?????

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, metal beat said:

LOL .  I find Levi one of, if not the worst reviewer ever. Is is still reviewing?

The choices of 4, 15 and 40 Ohms refers to the approximate internal impedance of the cartridge rather than the load impedance. They would equate to loadings of 52, 209 and 470 Ohms respectively into a 47K phono stage load. For the Kiseki, you would select the 40 Ohm setting, so a 470 Ohm load.

To load at 800 Ohms, he was either using the MM input with a different SUT (1:8 turns ratio for example) or with a higher input impedance on the MM (100K is an option) or the EAR 324 also enables adjustment of the 47K on the MC input (to 80K or 100K).

Regardless, it would have been wise for him to explain exactly how he achieved that load.

57 minutes ago, Doppelganger said:

The choices of 4, 15 and 40 Ohms refers to the approximate internal impedance of the cartridge rather than the load impedance. They would equate to loadings of 52, 209 and 470 Ohms respectively into a 47K phono stage load. For the Kiseki, you would select the 40 Ohm setting, so a 470 Ohm load.

To load at 800 Ohms, he was either using the MM input with a different SUT (1:8 turns ratio for example) or with a higher input impedance on the MM (100K is an option) or the EAR 324 also enables adjustment of the 47K on the MC input (to 80K or 100K).

Regardless, it would have been wise for him to explain exactly how he achieved that load.

thanks Greg

that was my point.  

I guess Andy was too old and lazy to read the review ??

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, blakey72 said:

Looks awesome Greg. What is the deck and arm?

Blakey

The Deck is Clearaudio Innovation, the arm is a Clearaudio Universal 9" with VTA adjustment, cart is Kiseki Purple Heart with Houdini cartridge decoupler. Phono stage is Pass Labs XP-17.

IMG_7067.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Guzzista said:

Houdini cartridge decoupler

I’ve heard excellent things about these Houdini decouplers...worth it in your opinion? And what sort of difference did it make?

27 minutes ago, Guzzista said:

Blakey

The Deck is Clearaudio Innovation, the arm is a Clearaudio Universal 9" with VTA adjustment, cart is Kiseki Purple Heart with Houdini cartridge decoupler. Phono stage is Pass Labs XP-17.

IMG_7067.jpeg

Great album too ;) 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RNWau said:

I’ve heard excellent things about these Houdini decouplers...worth it in your opinion? And what sort of difference did it make?

IMHO worth it? yes.

Though I did have a guy in Sydney come to my home after I fitted it and he set up the cartridge alignment perfectly just to make sure I was getting the best out of my rig.

Noise floor drops considerable, even though I had already done a lot to address this previously the decoupler improved it even further. 

• Like 1