Show us your Turntables!!!

On 23/12/2020 at 3:23 PM, Hydrology said:

I would VERY much like this to be my next turntable - @Epiphany Audio hook me up! Can I do part trade-in of a body part or two???

ZEBRANO-GRANDE-MK20301-copia.thumb.jpg.80ded1473d2c1a70b61f79bf1529fb50.jpg

@Hydrology I have some good or bad new depending on your perspective - these are way more affordable (and beautiful) than post people think.

Happy to bring one around to the store some time if the hardcore vinyl junkies are interested in seeing one?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Epiphany Audio said:

@Hydrology I have some good or bad new depending on your perspective - these are way more affordable (and beautiful) than post people think.

Happy to bring one around to the store some time if the hardcore vinyl junkies are interested in seeing one?

Absolutely @Epiphany Audio ! Didn’t know you guys were in Perth. Send through a price list if you get a chance!

On 23/12/2020 at 4:31 PM, Chill3 said:

You're mounting the motors on the chassis ?

An update for you.  :)

I explained why I thought that because I've been able to minimise motor vibrations using the facilities which the 'Number9' motor controller offers, mounting the motors on the chassis shouldn't be a problem.  But, after your post, I've re-fitted the motors - and they now have a neoprene O-ring as a washer on each bolt, between the motor 'mounting wings' and the chassis.  Which I'm thinking should act as some sort of a barrier to vibrations getting from the motors into the chassis.  :)

Here's a pic of the current status, with Cirkus bearing and inner platter fitted, as well as the Univector arm mount:

564039891_SkeletaLinnDelrinChassis-withinnerplatterandUnivectorbase.thumb.jpg.4f0ddd7be831cf7b0a7f709d10d58ba6.jpg

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 5

On 26/12/2020 at 5:18 PM, andyr said:

I explained why I thought that because I've been able to minimise motor vibrations using the facilities which the 'Number9' motor controller offers, mounting the motors on the chassis shouldn't be a problem.  But, after your post, I've re-fitted the motors - and they now have a neoprene O-ring as a washer on each bolt, between the motor 'mounting wings' and the chassis.  Which I'm thinking should act as some sort of a barrier to vibrations getting from the motors into the chassis.  :)

Here's a pic of the current status, with Cirkus bearing and inner platter fitted, as well as the Univector arm mount:

So where's the karousel??

Are you gonna use the Mober inner platter with the Karousel??

Tase

1 minute ago, Tasebass said:

So where's the karousel??

Are you gonna use the Mober inner platter with the Karousel??

Tase

That's my intention, Tase.  (It's been working fine in my Cirkus bearing!)  :)

Which is why there is no Karousel atm - I'm waiting a few years until they sell it by itself.  :lol:

Andy

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, andyr said:

That's my intention, Tase.  (It's been working fine in my Cirkus bearing!)  :)

Which is why there is no Karousel atm - I'm waiting a few years until they sell it by itself.  :lol:

Andy

.... your missing out mate.....:tongue:

Tase.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

New arm for the sp10 mk2 this time paired with at-1010 tonearm. There is so much tweak in this arm with damping, lateral balance and gymbal balance will slowly dialling it in but after regular setup it's sounding quite great

20210116_182510.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, this is my very humble Rega P25 which has had some major tweaking over the last 4 years that I've owned it. Bought it stock standard and have since done various tweeks. It's a very sweet sounding table. Tweaks as follows :- Incognito silver cardas rewire, Rega 24v motor with PSU upgrade, Tango Spinner adjustable feet, brass dual pulley, silicon belts, Delrin/Aluminium platter, VLT bearing housing, Subplatter, record clamp. Groove Tracer under slung counter weight. Have run Rega Exact, Ortofon 2M Red, 2M Black and currently DV 17DX. Really love what the DV brings out of the grooves. Big shout out to Gus from Tango Spinner as well. The nicest guy to deal with. My last additions were the platter, bearing housing and pulley, belts and clamp. Sent from Argentina on the 20th Jan and arrived at the door today. Would have been yesterday if not for the public holiday. Great service. 

20210127_193528.jpg

20210127_193542.jpg

20210127_193624.jpg

20210127_193713.jpg

20210127_193731.jpg

20210127_193748.jpg

• Like 9

On 23/12/2020 at 10:39 AM, andyr said:

Appreciate your PoV Chill but shirley, SME, for one, has its motor attached to the chassis?  (Sure, Linn's motor is attached to the top-plate.)

Andy

SME motors are not mounted to the same plate the arm and main bearing are attached to. 

A few that are in use on the regular as of late. I am almost done with custom maple racks to properly accommodate the tables .

A few Thornes TD-124's modified by Greg Metz at STS with SME and Ortofon arms , a Rek-O-Kut Rondine Deluxe mono player with ROK Micropose 120 and Gray Research 208-S/16” arm with Fairchild 220-A mono cartridge. a few Audio Technica tables , and lots of cartridges and tonearms both stereo and mono for all of the direct drive, belt drive, and idler drive tables.

Full-Size-Render-1-resize.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

Edited by charles hidalgo
  • Like 10

Greg Metz STS modified Thorens TD124 MKII in custom plinth,  with an Alfred Bokrand Custom Ortofon Tonearm mounted on a black sourced armboard, with a beloved brand new NOS Ortofon SPU Royal A cartridge, topped off with Nordost Quattro-fil phono cable.

IMG_1961.thumb.jpg.4cd29861807cabfef0a0092ebf1f34c6.jpg

IMG_1960.thumb.jpg.511f251981ec5a34dafa9a49e2658944.jpg

Edited by charles hidalgo
  • Like 7

On 26/12/2020 at 5:18 PM, andyr said:

564039891_SkeletaLinnDelrinChassis-withinnerplatterandUnivectorbase.thumb.jpg.4f0ddd7be831cf7b0a7f709d10d58ba6.jpg

Andy

Looks good Andy.

Can I ask why you used Delrin by itself and didn't bond it to a frame as Delrin has a tendency to warp over time. I have bonded Delrin to Gunmetal for my SP10 platter and the Delrin does an excellent job of damping. I guess this is why some of the high $$ TT's use it as platters.

1 hour ago, Warren Jones said:

Looks good Andy.

Can I ask why you used Delrin by itself and didn't bond it to a frame as Delrin has a tendency to warp over time. I have bonded Delrin to Gunmetal for my SP10 platter and the Delrin does an excellent job of damping. I guess this is why some of the high $$ TTs use it as platters.

Thanks, Warren.  :)

Yes, I saw the pic of that platter you had made - great job.  :thumb:

I had heard that Delrin can sometimes warp - so I guess I'm crossing my fingers.  :(  It would have been a pretty difficult job to bond it to a piece of steel - and make it look nice.  Doing this would also add weight to the chassis.  I'm hoping that as it is used for platters in some high $$ TTs ... maybe it won't be an issue?

Andy

19 hours ago, andyr said:

I had heard that Delrin can sometimes warp - so I guess I'm crossing my fingers.  :(  It would have been a pretty difficult job to bond it to a piece of steel - and make it look nice.  Doing this would also add weight to the chassis.  I'm hoping that as it is used for platters in some high $$ TTs ... maybe it won't be an issue?

Andy

Delrin warps because of the grain structure in the extrusion. The first Delrin top I put on my Gunmetal platter warped in a few days and popped a screw, so it went in the bin.

I suspect most of the high $$ TT's that use Delrin either injection mold the platter or make it from ROUND bar stock. Round bar does not warp because the grain is running along the bar. Sheet Delrin the grain runs across it and it was the label recess that caused my Delrin to warp.

Out of left field. I'm about to buy a home unit and I need to make some major sacrifices. My beloved Lyra Kleos cartridge (price $5950) is currently in Japan being completely stripped down and remade by Lyra, and will be returned to me in a condition identical to brand new with full Australian warranty. Is anyone here interested in picking it up for say $4500?

Edited by Warren M.

4 minutes ago, Warren M. said:

Out of left field. I'm about to buy a home unit and I need to make some major sacrifices. My beloved Lyra Kleos cartridge (price $5950) is currently in Japan being completely remade, and will be returned to me in a condition identical to brand new with full Australian warranty. Is anyone here interested in picking it up for say $4500?

^  ^  ^  @wikeeboy?

Andy

Thanks for thinking of me @andyr !

Problem is that i'm working from a complete blank sheet and need to hone down what cart will best suit my tt/tonearm/phono and music style....... oh and that annoying little thing called your budget :) Should be straight forward eh?

I hear great things about Lyra, but it's only one of many and i'm right at the start of my selection phase.