Show us your Turntables!!!

33 minutes ago, sktn77a said:

Hi:  I'm interested to know how close to the record your lyra Argo i is?  Mine looks like its about to hit the record (less than 1mm of clearance between the  cartridge bottom and the record).

Thanks.

Less than 1mm doesn't sound right... could be the tracking force or the cantilever issue? Some TT gurus will be able to answer this.

Guest palexsia

A completed set of Peter Duc of Golden age audio Garrad 401 .  Duc pass away over 2 years ago , last month by a chance I saw his TT and bought it . I decide to keep it for memories of Duc . The young brother I greatly miss . 
his solid Yarra wood plinth , his design 12” Univector and his restoration Garrad 401 . 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Guest palexsia
1 minute ago, palexsia said:

A completed set of Peter Duc of Golden age audio Garrad 401 .  Duc pass away over 2 years ago , last month by a chance I saw his TT and bought it . I decide to keep it for memories of Duc . The young brother I greatly miss . 
his solid Yarra wood plinth , his design 12” Univector and his restoration Garrad 401 . 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

12 hours ago, sktn77a said:

Hi:  I'm interested to know how close to the record your lyra Argo i is?  Mine looks like its about to hit the record (less than 1mm of clearance between the  cartridge bottom and the record).

Thanks.

Hiya , hope these help you. , cart was very well setup by MarkT and I think we got the tracking force spot on. 1.8 grams I think 

FD41E7DD-6F19-4484-934F-705F94B809C2.jpeg

767911C2-1CE4-4B94-9881-2DEB4511B7ED.jpeg

CD585CC3-31EF-4F5C-B34B-88F84B57CDB0.jpeg

662E7659-CC0D-4A4C-BE5E-49ADF2C5FC1C.jpeg

14F556FE-C442-4CAC-B647-40B15966DF5A.jpeg

• Like 3

Thanks a million.  It certainly looks like yours is riding higher than mine.  I'll have to play with mine and get a picture that's comparable to yours, angle-wise, and compare them in more detail

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Andrews_melb said:

image.thumb.jpeg.fe2d2ae35de8bad4d4c522b2246154ec.jpeg
I need to clean up the metal plate a bit from excess stain run-off, but i think the tonearm looks great 

Very nice.  I love TTs with plenty of wood.  I have a Hitachi PS-38 I have been meaning to restore, but it's too damn hot in the workshop at the moment. :(   

17 hours ago, cafe67 said:

Hiya , hope these help you. , cart was very well setup by MarkT and I think we got the tracking force spot on. 1.8 grams I think 

FD41E7DD-6F19-4484-934F-705F94B809C2.jpeg

767911C2-1CE4-4B94-9881-2DEB4511B7ED.jpeg

CD585CC3-31EF-4F5C-B34B-88F84B57CDB0.jpeg

662E7659-CC0D-4A4C-BE5E-49ADF2C5FC1C.jpeg

Hi there. I have a question re Lyra cartridges. I have noticed that every model has what looks like a piece of white tape wrapped under the body which is "open" to catching dust etc from above, and may eventually peel off. So is this an issue?

3 minutes ago, Sevoman said:

Hi there. I have a question re Lyra cartridges. I have noticed that every model has what looks like a piece of white tape wrapped under the body which is "open" to catching dust etc from above, and may eventually peel off. So is this an issue?

Its part of the design to keep dust etc out of the motor.  It will never peel off, so just use the cartridge and enjoy.    

I have owned a a few Lyra carts over the last 10 years and never an issue.

On 05/12/2020 at 5:11 AM, cafe67 said:

Here's a picture of mine.  Maybe a little lower but generally seems to be comparable.  I guess nothing to worry about!

IMG_0514.jpg

Edited by sktn77a

On 07/12/2020 at 1:45 AM, sktn77a said:

Here's a picture of mine.  Maybe a little lower but generally seems to be comparable.  I guess nothing to worry about!

IMG_0514.jpg

Not being rude or silly , have you checked that your arm is running paralell to the platter? 

2 minutes ago, Diynamic said:

Doing the normal Sunday record dig , stumbled on this technics sl-5 .... it says not working, came home plugged in , dialed into the phono stage on the devialet.. and perfect ... pristine condition..

61FD19B9-3D29-4F63-BC7D-5151FB3DD1C9.jpeg

C476D9C3-7F89-4DC8-8F2F-F1CF91204319.jpeg

8188A3B1-70B6-48B6-B742-D11CDDDDE1BF.jpeg

EB95C5F6-4EFA-4D8C-A7CF-BB2CFB359577.jpeg

If it does start to play up, I may be able to help remedy. Just let me know.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just about to upgrade my SkeletaLinn with a new chassis - which was CNCed out of Delrin for me by Kev.  Thanks, Kev!  :thumb:

So this - top:

2070740185_SkeletaLinnDelrinChassis-Top.thumb.jpg.6133411e20e7b916a5b69404b243cfcb.jpg

and underside:

1137369187_SkeletaLinnDelrinChassis-Underneath.thumb.jpg.73ae4d73c146a48c4df81093cf03e87b.jpg

replaces this (bolted-together aluminium C-section)!:

327836325_SkeletaLinn005.thumb.jpg.fa0b26a8f88500001213ffd1ecac6b06.jpg

There are 2 main differences (apart from the material):

1. the position of the bearing has been moved slightly further away from the LH spring than it is now.  This should give me equal weight distribution on the 3 springs (currently, it's about 40% on the LH spring and 30% on each of the other two springs).
  2. there are 'wings' either side of the bearing, to take the 2 motors.  Currently, the motors are mounted on brass pods - so off-board - but this requires careful measurement to position the motors correctly, each time I do any work on the TT.  In the new chassis, the motors are fixed in place - the penalty being ... motor vibrations might get to the bearing (and the platter).  I'm hoping Delrin is sufficiently self-damping for this not to be a problem.

And yes ... it is Karousel-ready!  xD

Andy

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chill3 said:

You're mounting the motors on the chassis ?

Sure thing!  :)

See here:

1334179676_SkeletaLinnDelrinChassis-withmotors.thumb.jpg.577edfb12328a94925d7f2a7c0a635ce.jpg

Yes, I know that I mounted them off-board, when I designed the SkeletaLinn, the first time around - and there's a good reason for doing this (keep motor vibrations away from the bearing).

But the 'Number9' motor controller that I use, has the ability to set the phase difference between the 2 pairs of motor wires to be whatever you want.  What you do is hold the motor in your hand whilst changing the value of the phase difference with your computer - you choose the value which gives you the minimum motor vibration.

So I'm hoping this - coupled with Delrin having a degree of self-damping - will mean that motor vibration is not an issue.  But I won't know this until I fire it up!  xD

Andy

Edited by andyr

11 minutes ago, andyr said:

So I'm hoping

Andy

lot of hope riding on your implementation Andy...did you fabricate a "dummy" mount for the bearing and motors for evaluation??

All the best..

Tase.

Edited by Tasebass

1 minute ago, Tasebass said:

lot of hope riding on your implementation Andy...

Hah - yes!  :)

1 minute ago, Tasebass said:

do you fabricate a "dummy" mount for the bearing and motors for evaluation??

All the best..

Tase.

No - I didn't see how this could be done easily.  So I went straight for the whole chassis.  Kev and I have worked out a 'Plan B', if motor vibrations turn out to be a problem.  :)

Note: I have a built-in "vibration measuring " facility on the SkeletaLinn.  The Number9 has the ability to send a different frequency to each AC motor - needed, in order to compensate for slight machining differences in the motor pulleys.  When calibrating the 2 motors (to give me 33 & 45), I noticed that the weight buckets on my 2 arms make an excellent 'vibration measuring tool'!  :)

When I have set the motors' relative speed correctly, there is no movement of the weight buckets - when it is set incorrectly ... you can see them jiggling.  So I am expecting this will tell me whether motor vibration is an issue or not, with the new chassis.

Andy

2 hours ago, andyr said:

Sure thing!  :)

See here:

1334179676_SkeletaLinnDelrinChassis-withmotors.thumb.jpg.577edfb12328a94925d7f2a7c0a635ce.jpg

Yes, I know that I mounted them off-board, when I designed the SkeletaLinn, the first time around - and there's a good reason for doing this (keep motor vibrations away from the bearing).

But the 'Number9' motor controller that I use, has the ability to set the phase difference between the 2 pairs of motor wires to be whatever you want.  What you do is hold the motor in your hand whilst changing the value of the phase difference with your computer - you choose the value which gives you the minimum motor vibration.

So I'm hoping this - coupled with Delrin having a degree of self-damping - will mean that motor vibration is not an issue.  But I won't know this until I fire it up!  xD

Andy

Ok, hard to see the point of a suspended turntable with motors attached to the chassis, but then Rega have the motor on their  chassis with a similar advanced power supply so ........

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Chill3 said:

Ok, hard to see the point of a suspended turntable with motors attached to the chassis, but then Rega have the motor on their chassis with a similar advanced power supply so ........

Appreciate your PoV Chill but shirley, SME, for one, has its motor attached to the chassis?  (Sure, Linn's motor is attached to the top-plate.)

And I have to disagree that Rega's motor PS is as advanced as the Number9.  :)  Steve Tuckett, the Number9 designer, was Rega's largest retailer in a previous life - so he knows what Rega has.

Andy