Show us your Turntables!!!

Nice work, Ross! Always good to hear of a vintage piece being able to mix it with, and even better, a modern high-end alternative. I ran a non silver-wired version on my LP12 with an AR P77 catridge for a few years and enjoyed the combination immensely. I ended up swapping it with a black Ittok which was probably a mistake. All part of the journey and I enjoyed my time with the Sondek/Ittok regardless.

I must admit I hadn’t thought of the Alphason as a high-end arm rather than more of a mid-tier and certainly below the SME range toppers. Were they that expensive on release?

Good to hear you don’t plan on rewiring as if you went to copper wiring it would become a standard version rather than the rarer and (I assumed) more expensive/collectible MCS version. Or are there additional differences with the MCS other then the wiring?

Enjoy the new (old) arm!?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Doppelganger said:

Nice work, Ross! Always good to hear of a vintage piece being able to mix it with, and even better, a modern high-end alternative. I ran a non silver-wired version on my LP12 with an AR P77 catridge for a few years and enjoyed the combination immensely. I ended up swapping it with a black Ittok which was probably a mistake. All part of the journey and I enjoyed my time with the Sondek/Ittok regardless.

I must admit I hadn’t thought of the Alphason as a high-end arm rather than more of a mid-tier and certainly below the SME range toppers. Were they that expensive on release?

Good to hear you don’t plan on rewiring as if you went to copper wiring it would become a standard version rather than the rarer and (I assumed) more expensive/collectible MCS version. Or are there additional differences with the MCS other then the wiring?

Enjoy the new (old) arm!?

Thanks, Greg.

I believe the original price was around US$1000 from a comment I read somewhere recently, so factor in 30-40 years of inflation to figure out what the current price might be! I also recall that it was originally compared favourably with the SME V, with some preferring the SME and others the Alphason.

I wouldn't necessarily describe the Alphason as "better" than the 4 Point in an absolute sense. The 4 Point is certainly an engineering masterpiece and the ability to have repeatable fine adjustments of VTA and VTF is definitely a big plus for the Kuzma. It also extracts detail from records to a degree I have never before experienced. But the Alphason seems to suit my musical priorities better - it gives up some detail but is faster and more energetic and, for me, just more musically engaging.

• Like 1

The Alphason was one of the top tier UK arms along with the Zeta and Syrinx PU3 prior to the release of the SME V.

I had a SOTA with Zeta and upgraded to a Star with SME V and as much as I loved the SME, felt the Zeta very much played in the same league and regretted selling it.

A friend had a SOTA with Alphason at the time so listened to that combination quite a lot also ... great arm.

• Like 2

On 05/08/2020 at 8:54 PM, rossb said:

Thanks, Greg.

I believe the original price was around US$1000 from a comment I read somewhere recently, so factor in 30-40 years of inflation to figure out what the current price might be! I also recall that it was originally compared favourably with the SME V, with some preferring the SME and others the Alphason.

I wouldn't necessarily describe the Alphason as "better" than the 4 Point in an absolute sense. The 4 Point is certainly an engineering masterpiece and the ability to have repeatable fine adjustments of VTA and VTF is definitely a big plus for the Kuzma. It also extracts detail from records to a degree I have never before experienced. But the Alphason seems to suit my musical priorities better - it gives up some detail but is faster and more energetic and, for me, just more musically engaging.

Len had one on the Sonata. Cartridges came and went but the Sonata and MSC100 always stayed. It made the Sovereigns sing with the right amps. As a matter of fact CD was way way down the list when the Sonata ran.

8 hours ago, Willy71 said:

Technics sl m3?  love it. 

20180725_163851.jpg

I'm seriously thinking about one of these. What are your overall impressions? What other set ups are you comparing with? From what I've read,  there isn't much between this and a SP10 mk3.

Mate I love it. It has a wow factor as well 

Hard to find! 

I don't think you will regret it, with a good cart. 

I have several turntables all are old school and not overly expensive. 

Give me old school any day 

Technics 1200mk2

Technics sl 7

Technics slv5

Rega RP6

Cheers 

• Like 1

On 29/06/2020 at 10:30 PM, Analog Revenge said:

Well there is more than one vintage Elac Miracord (610) performing in Perth! Right now playing Holst "The planets" after a new stylus arrived earlier today and this beauty got resurrected back to it former beauty! Listening through a Goldring Classic amp powering a set of Klipsh Cornwalls.

So all period correct! 

elac TT angle.jpg

elac TT.jpg

Update!

Somehow a set of Leonard Speakers ,Made by Onkyo, and another Monarch SA 60 Solid State amp was in a garage sale!

Somehow I did manage to acquire these items!

The Monarch amp is exactly the same as my Goldring SA60 other than the face plate being black instead of silver!

These items are about to be delivered and will post pics of these rare classics!

Goldring amp.jpg

• Love 1

26 minutes ago, Analog Revenge said:

Update!

Somehow a set of Leonard Speakers ,Made by Onkyo, and another Monarch SA 60 Solid State amp was in a garage sale!

Somehow I did manage to acquire these items!

The Monarch amp is exactly the same as my Goldring SA60 other than the face plate being black instead of silver!

These items are about to be delivered and will post pics of these rare classics!

Goldring amp.jpg

A few weeks ago this little beauty became for sale and I could not help myself, Had to have it! Now full rebuild has been completed (It was in a very good state) Monarch SA80 with internal power transistors (re-bonded on Heat-sinks ) unlike the other SA60 who are  mounted on the back outside for cooling! 

In the background you can see the Klipsch Cornwalls and these amps are capable of powering these very nicely!

Monark amp.jpg

Edited by Analog Revenge
add
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, Yamaha_man said:

I always wanted to try a Garrard and here she is!

Will certainly be a talking point of my system. 

D3312F17-78D2-4CAB-A78F-9BC116734358.jpeg

6044D13C-A567-4664-8CC3-6A7467E465BB.jpeg

D8B1860E-F1D1-4902-A729-D373BB323546.jpeg

18D01D30-BA79-4A26-B921-DE3CEFC3116E.jpeg

905341F5-A500-4ACB-A90A-57356C28E028.jpeg

97E53DE2-0876-4B9D-9037-ED9053A09E17.png

I rebuilt one of these last year.

It had way too much rumble for vinyl and the arm would not allow an mm to work, so 78s only with ceramic or crystal.

Not a bad TT in build quality though.

Edited by Colin Rutter
  • Like 2

Never posted my vinyl set up before so here it is.

Thorens TD 321 MkII, Denon 301 cartridge. ME25 pre amp  with MC phono stage. Audio Innovations Series III power amp currently playing to Spendor S8e's. I have a lovely pair of Quad 57's too which I enjoy alternating. It all sounds rather splendid to my ears.

IMG20200814170559.jpg

IMG20200814172008.jpg

• Like 13
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Analog Revenge said:

Found these solid Teak stands for putting my TT,s on and storage for DVD,cd, etc.

With some other gear Know can play 4 turntables on one Amplifier (Cynernet CR 110) it has 2 Phono inputs plus an extra switch block.

IMG_20200813_162444804.jpg

IMG_20200813_162612_01.jpg

Oh, the irony!  Turntable on top of CD cabinet. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, IanB1956 said:

1978 S1324645135_ScreenShot2020-08-10at12_27_21pm.thumb.png.a227a812c3e79c8ad8a415e088a84a3c.pngStrathclyde Turntable STD 300 M

The STD 300M was probably the first really wonderful turntable I owned. Mine had some wow issues, but it also had real "wow". The sense that you were listening to music rather than sound was absolutely palpable. Probably the most emotionally gripping turntable I ever owned until my Once. I had a Mission 774 arm on it.

Edited by Warren M.
  • Like 1