Show us your Turntables!!!

33 minutes ago, Sevoman said:

Looks very nice. I like the detail on the arm. The 2M Black is really great value for money IMHO. Does the MoFi  have a dust cover?

Yep, they are quite attractive, a little retro with the dark smoke finish. Supplied with both MoFi decks.

15 minutes ago, Frank Prowse Hi-Fi said:

Definitely make their own - some of the parts on the UltraDeck come from other manufacturers (I believe the feet are by HRS).

Just read some reviews and it looks like. very capable deck.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, scuzzii said:

very cool photo.

The Soulines does a similar thing with direct sunlight in the afternoon

Thanks John, so cool in fact that I got a thumbs up from The Teskey Brothers on Instagram!

• Like 2

My 40 year old Michell Focus One turntable with Focus unipivot arm. The Focus was a low cost entry model that Michell made for a few years but it still looks pretty cool.

IMG_20200626_163111.jpg

• Like 9
  • Love 1

41 minutes ago, Rickers said:

My 40 year old Michell Focus One turntable with Focus unipivot arm. The Focus was a low cost entry model that Michell made for a few years but it still looks pretty cool.

IMG_20200626_163111.jpg

Very interesting, John.  :thumb:

That looks like a very light arm - what's the (violet) cart you have on it?

Andy

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, andyr said:

Very interesting, John.  :thumb:

That looks like a very light arm - what's the (violet) cart you have on it?

Andy

Hi Andy,

Yes, the arm is certainly lighter than most.  I haven't found much technical info on it but someone on Audioasylum said it has an effective mass of 5 grams, which puts it in the very low effective mass category.  The cartridge is an Audio Technica AT440MLa.  The arm would probably work better with a higher compliance cartridge but I'm not unhappy with the AT440MLa.

John

15 minutes ago, Rickers said:

Hi Andy,

Yes, the arm is certainly lighter than most.  I haven't found much technical info on it but someone on Audioasylum said it has an effective mass of 5 grams, which puts it in the very low effective mass category. 

Looking at the arm, I can believe that, John.  :)  My own arm (Magnepan 'Unitrac') is 7gm.

15 minutes ago, Rickers said:

The cartridge is an Audio Technica AT440MLa.  The arm would probably work better with a higher compliance cartridge but I'm not unhappy with the AT440MLa.

John

The Audio Technica AT440MLa is such a light cart that it looks like it it might just be borderline to the "green" area in the VE Cart Resonance Calculator, for an arm with 5gm eff mass.

The issue is that the compliance AT quote is for a 100Hz signal ('10') ... whereas the VE Cart Resonance Calculator uses the compliance for 10Hz.  Compliance at 10Hz is higher - but should it be '15' ... or '20'?

At '15' ... it's not ideal - however, just add a couple of grams weight to the headshell.

At '20' - it's already in the green zone.

Andy

On 25/06/2020 at 2:08 PM, Frank Prowse Hi-Fi said:

Yep, they are quite attractive, a little retro with the dark smoke finish. Supplied with both MoFi decks.

Is the dust cover attached to the tt via the hinge at the back?

1 hour ago, andyr said:

Looking at the arm, I can believe that, John.  :)  My own arm (Magnepan 'Unitrac') is 7gm.

The Audio Technica AT440MLa is such a light cart that it looks like it it might just be borderline to the "green" area in the VE Cart Resonance Calculator, for an arm with 5gm eff mass.

The issue is that the compliance AT quote is for a 100Hz signal ('10') ... whereas the VE Cart Resonance Calculator uses the compliance for 10Hz.  Compliance at 10Hz is higher - but should it be '15' ... or '20'?

At '15' ... it's not ideal - however, just add a couple of grams weight to the headshell.

At '20' - it's already in the green zone.

Andy

The Magnepan is a nice looking piece of kit.  I hadn't heard of it before but it seems to be well thought of in hifi circles.

When I did the calcs for the Focus with AT440MLa, I assumed 17.5 and included the cartridge screws at 0.3g each.  On this basis it was just in the green.  As you say, if it's actually 15, the resonant frequency doesn't look so great.  I might try adding some weight to the headshell and see if it sounds different.

I also occasionally use an old Yamaha MC-7 cartridge which has a compliance of 15 (presumable at 100hz although the spec sheet doesn't say).  This is theoretically a better match.

John

1 hour ago, Cardiiiii said:

Is the dust cover attached to the tt via the hinge at the back?

Yes but the dust cover slots on to the hinge so it can be lifted off easily without the need to unscrew anything.

• Like 2

On 07/06/2020 at 1:08 PM, Shark said:

Hi 2 Brix, to peak your interest, here's another Table I built for a client in Tazzy. It was a total basket case when it arrived, a real mess. The client asked me to "make it a bit special" as he has some serious equipment with great resolution. The laminated hardwood body needed a lot of work and in hindsight I should have started from scratch. I have a love for Art Deco so you will see subtle art deco features over the Deck. The TriPlanar was damaged and required me to make new parts, refinish and rewire it. Arm Support is my design and I got it CNC'd locally and hand finished in my shop. Teres Platter was re-machined & rebuilt, it has a lot of parts not visible. Feet are custom billet Items I make, and these house Vibrapod inserts. Photos show my Koetsu Rose Sig. for testing. Drive ended up being the brilliant Teres Pseudo Direct Drive Unit I had purchased earlier for my own T/Table project but it was tailor made for this project so it was an obvious choice.

See what you make of it.

Cheers, Mark.

P1040692.JPG

Would love to know more about its basket case status, when I sold it to your client in Taz I didnt think it was *that* bad.   But then I had my triplanar attached via a $2 clamp from bunnings, so our standards are clearly different.

Also that isnt a Teres platter, it was bought from Red Point, and was one of their prototype designs when they were doing alu/pvc stuff before moving onto other materials.  The bearings were bought from Teres, while they were selling off the last of their DIY parts.   The laminate plinth was put together quickly during a weekend (made of Jarrah wood) and I never planned it to be permanent, actually quite surprised you kept it.  But I thought the whole combination of materials sounded really good.

I emailed the owner recently to see how he is going, and he seemed over the moon with all the work you have done - which I'm glad to hear.   I left the Hi-Fi world a while back, and sold all my stuff, and honestly the turntable is the only thing I missed.  Not the fancy Vacuumstate pre and power tube amps or VAF i93's or anything else.    So seeing it restored in such a great way actually gives me joy that it lives on better than ever.

Edited by avian
  • Love 1

Finally got around to setting up my TNT with an old Grace G-1040 arm I bought 40yrs ago. 

I originally had the G1040 fitted to a Rega Planar 3. When I changed it out for a G707 I boxed up the G1040 and forgot about it.

Great to have such an old arm restored to service.

The 2M Black has been setup with a Tracking Wizard arc protractor made for the Grace arms and is sounding really good. 

The SL1210 looks and feels like a toy next to the TNT/Grace (though its definitely not).

542362543_TNTsl1200.jpg.f05a1c9af4b365ce606615447f01bc90.jpg

TNT_grace1040.jpg.93092dcc79872d0e40e24b0a79306342.jpg

Grace_1040.jpg.85a47d02d76ce26f3f98084103a0092b.jpg

• Like 9
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Wimbo said:

Have you kept your other tables Greg?

I have Wim. Still have the Sota and Denon but the Garrard is now head and and shoulders above the others. Must have you down for a listen soon!

Hope you and the family are doing well!

Edited by Doppelganger

14 hours ago, Doppelganger said:

I have Wim. Still have the Sota and Denon but the Garrard is now head and and shoulders above the others. Must have you down for a listen soon!

Hope you and the family are doing well!

Yes. I knew you had the  401 away being upgraded. It will be interesting to listen. Take care mate and the best to the family.

• Like 1

On 26/06/2020 at 10:13 PM, avian said:

Would love to know more about its basket case status, when I sold it to your client in Taz I didnt think it was *that* bad.   But then I had my triplanar attached via a $2 clamp from bunnings, so our standards are clearly different.

Also that isnt a Teres platter, it was bought from Red Point, and was one of their prototype designs when they were doing alu/pvc stuff before moving onto other materials.  The bearings were bought from Teres, while they were selling off the last of their DIY parts.   The laminate plinth was put together quickly during a weekend (made of Jarrah wood) and I never planned it to be permanent, actually quite surprised you kept it.  But I thought the whole combination of materials sounded really good.

I emailed the owner recently to see how he is going, and he seemed over the moon with all the work you have done - which I'm glad to hear.   I left the Hi-Fi world a while back, and sold all my stuff, and honestly the turntable is the only thing I missed.  Not the fancy Vacuumstate pre and power tube amps or VAF i93's or anything else.    So seeing it restored in such a great way actually gives me joy that it lives on better than ever.

Hi Avian, thanks for clearing up the origin of the Platter on this project. It was my assumption that it was a special by Teres, but looking at the Redpoint site the PVC/Alloy composite construction  is clearly a construction method they use to this day. I must admit that the phrase "basket case" is probably a harsh one in this case. My first siting of this project was when the client pulled a dusty heavy box out of his car and handed it to me, and it was literally a box of parts. Even the Arm was partially disassembled , We could both see the great potential of the the parts therein, but there was some work to do to attain the standard he was looking for. I remember the price was quite fair for the box of parts, particularly the Arm, while damaged, was going to be perfect for the project. I was assured the hardwood Body had produced good sonic results, and being a core part of the resonant structure, I elected to reuse it.   

Be assured your beloved Table looks and sounds fantastic and is loved now as mush as ever.

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 11/08/2019 at 7:39 PM, Frank Prowse Hi-Fi said:

This classic brought in for a service yesterday - the one and only Elac Miracord 50H

_MH19408.jpg

_MH19407.jpg

_MH19406.jpg

_MH19405.jpg

Well there is more than one vintage Elac Miracord (610) performing in Perth! Right now playing Holst "The planets" after a new stylus arrived earlier today and this beauty got resurrected back to it former beauty! Listening through a Goldring Classic amp powering a set of Klipsh Cornwalls.

So all period correct! 

elac TT angle.jpg

elac TT.jpg

• Like 4

One of my resurrections ; From potential Landfill to being a favourite of mine!

SANYO TP700 SA code 1

It has a lot of functions from being fully Automatic and even repeat (same side, over and over again and again) to Full manual!

All with the  nice little buttons next to the tonearm!

Tonearm is a decent and solid, stif.

No tolerances and same anti Skate as the Rotels, Sansui, etc. 

Most probably made by Jelco.

As it is underneath in the engine room;

all Fuyi equipment.

There are multiple layers of levers and slides over and on top of each others to get all the different settings working!

Had many happy hours dissembling , cleaning, oiling, assembling and making it all work as it should be!

it has a very decent Empire Cart that was hiding in the shell,when I got it!

New Needle and fresh belt are on it's way.

Have been playing it for 2 days almost nonstop and I am impressed with the functions and the sound!

Sadly there is almost no information regarding these Turntables available on the WWW!

Powering it with a minute AIWA A22 40W amp that is driving my big Missions that I found as well a couple of years ago.

The enclosures were cactus but the drivers, tweeters and cross overs were fine.

So I had the cabinets remade in exact the same materials and sizes as original!

I have not regretted the effort as they sound great indeed over the full spectrum and are surprising easy to drive now!

Sanyo turntable.jpg

Edited by Analog Revenge
  • Like 5