Show us your Turntables!!!

3 minutes ago, Guzzista said:

Yes well played, there is always someone...........

maybe I made a widely sweeping statement without proper consideration.

That said, visit my listening room and hear for yourself.

G

What record mats have you tested the ringmat against then, if not the 3,  I mentioned?

I might see if I can find my ringmat in storage.

Edited by metal beat

2 hours ago, andyr said:

Beaudiful!!  :thumb:   :thumb:

Re. your Frog - the info I found says the DC coil resistance is 21 ohms.  This says to me that optimal load will be anywhere between 220 and 2200 ohms.  I'd be interested in knowing what loading you're using atm.

Andy

Hi Andy,

I mostly use about the recommended 500 ohms that VdH suggest, though at present I have it at about 700 ohms and it sounds great. Much higher than this it sounds very airy, but seems to lose a bit of body. I can adjust it using a  dial on my project phono RS during playback, which is very convenient, and there seems to be a range where it is at its best, rather than a clearly defined point. Sometimes when I have been playing other cartridges which are all recommended for 100 ohm loads, I forget to change it back, and whilst it still sounds reasonable, I think 500-700 is better. 

Justin

1 hour ago, Guzzista said:

I have tried and tested every platter mat on the market, and under professional advice no mat just resting the record on the substantially heavy TT platter.

The ring mat wins hands down, the detail is amazing, note clarity, bass and vocals raw and naked!

Just thought I should let members know.

B92E56E3-DD63-4853-B870-369B4DCCBF87.jpeg

That's interesting. It's one mat I've never listened to.

My favourite mat (of those I've owned or heard) remains the Herbie's Way Excellent 2 mat, or the Herbie's mat with the Extreme Phono Speed carbon fibre mat on top.

Among the mats I've tried have been: 
the Millenium Mat (carbon fibre) on other mats or alone
the Extreme Phono None-Felt mat (with and without the Extreme Phono Speed mat)

the Origin Live mat

the Boston graphite mat

the Spectra Mat

All mats have a sonic signature. The Spectra, Millenium and Boston had very pronounced signatures which were either immediately or eventually disturbing. The Origin Live mat is relatively benign but also very slightly dull. The Extreme Phono None-Felt plus Speed mat combo came pretty close to a neutral presentation with the Speed mat allowing a little hint of the edginess inherent in the music.

The Herbie's provides a depth and level of realism in the presentation that the others don't. It remains my go-to mat after several years. Adding the Extreme Phono Speed mat does offer a little extra liveness to some slightly too laid-back recordings or pressings.

Beatster 

im not getting drawn into this, I have posted an opinion, addressed the width of my brush, that’s it,

I should have learnt over the years that opinions are fodder on SNA.

no offence intended, I’ll leave it there.

13 minutes ago, Guzzista said:

Beatster 

im not getting drawn into this, I have posted an opinion, addressed the width of my brush, that’s it,

I should have learnt over the years that opinions are fodder on SNA.

no offence intended, I’ll leave it there.

Yes. everybody knows everybody. I remember back in the early naughties or even the late 90's when Brad and Kiat came in?

16 minutes ago, Juzbear said:

Hi Andy,

I mostly use about the recommended 500 ohms that VdH suggest, though at present I have it at about 700 ohms and it sounds great. Much higher than this it sounds very airy, but seems to lose a bit of body. I can adjust it using a  dial on my project phono RS during playback, which is very convenient, and there seems to be a range where it is at its best, rather than a clearly defined point. Sometimes when I have been playing other cartridges which are all recommended for 100 ohm loads, I forget to change it back, and whilst it still sounds reasonable, I think 500-700 is better. 

Justin

Very interesting, Justin.  :thumb:

Looking at this:

1208500443_PhonoBoxLoading.JPG.85fcbe832f7f5f06474613ad453af380.JPG

... it seems the Phono Box has quite a deal of variability in loading.  :thumb:

I concur that there is a range of loading which sounds best ... interesting that higher, you think it loses body.  My take on this is that higher always sounds more airy ... but then the bass becomes floppy.  :(

Andy

15 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Yes. everybody knows everybody. I remember back in the early naughties or even the late 90's when Brad and Kiat came in?

Wimbo 

the older I get the more I learn that the world is shrinking my friend. 

?

50 minutes ago, andyr said:

Very interesting, Justin.  :thumb:

Looking at this:

1208500443_PhonoBoxLoading.JPG.85fcbe832f7f5f06474613ad453af380.JPG

... it seems the Phono Box has quite a deal of variability in loading.  :thumb:

I concur that there is a range of loading which sounds best ... interesting that higher, you think it loses body.  My take on this is that higher always sounds more airy ... but then the bass becomes floppy.  :(

Andy

Andy, I think we agree. When I said less body, to me that is the bass losing definition and getting a little softer. I think that is analogous to you describing the bass getting floppy.

Justin

8 hours ago, Juzbear said:

Andy, I think we agree. When I said less body, to me that is the bass losing definition and getting a little softer. I think that is analogous to you describing the bass getting floppy.

Justin

:thumb:

Andy

A couple of weeks back I posted some pics of my Brinkmann Bardo here and I've subsequently had a perspex cover made, which will go someway to keeping dust away while not being used and will assist in keeping the curious little fingers belonging to the grandchildren from bits like the tonearm and cartridge.:)

The custom job was done by Plastiglass in Tuncurry, so I'm happy to recommend them to anyone in the mid coast area, Tuncurry, Forster, Taree etc, if you're looking for a custom made cover for your turntable.:thumb:

Bardo Cover - 1.JPG

Bardo Cover - 3.JPG

• Like 9

Packing up our floor model Luxman PD-171A for a client. Word just came out that this is no longer in production at Luxman and the PD-151A will continue as Luxman's sole TT offering until a replacement for the 171A eventuates towards the latter half of 2021. Distributors have a couple available so if this is something you always wanted to own, grab one now while there is still stock!

_MH10218.thumb.jpg.10ad6932256497ecef47023d7c401b54.jpg

_MH10217.thumb.jpg.d26283063aad4a43d980b7d3b0d7c885.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/02/2020 at 1:40 PM, Guzzista said:

MMMmmmm..... I'm feeling like a bit of a goose now, when I set up my Innovation TT I tried a number of different mats, settled on a "ring mat" but it never ever dawned on me to think Clearaudio did not supply a mat because one is not needed!

Back to the music room for some comparitive listening!

You have caused neutrons in my brain to bounce about ?

I used the Vinyl Harmo-nicer on my Clearaudio performance.Now straight on the platter.F82D5D76-2686-452F-9BEF-608A7A281DDA.thumb.jpeg.3258dc9de58577ad5211c37f9778449d.jpeg23C42EB8-E649-431E-B17E-88E316860664.thumb.jpeg.23775122c654efed3f23295f51c5abe9.jpeg

Edited by Stump

On 10/02/2020 at 1:01 PM, cheekyboy said:

Brinkmann Bardo - Brinkmann 10.5 tonearm and Brinkmann EMT ti cartridge.

Many here would have heard my Bardo at the HiFi Show last October and it was an absolute standout performer there. The granite slab I have since sourced locally and I'm really enjoying this sensational rig in my system and it gets many hours of play each day.

Cheers,

Keith

Bardo - Feb 2020 - 2.JPG

Bardo - Feb 202 - 1.JPG

Bardo - Feb 2020 - 3.JPG

Nice deck Keith.

I must admit, I've probably been committing heresy recently by using a mat on my Brinkmann. Please don't tell Helmut!

Still not sure if it makes much of a difference.

If anything, it keeps the dust off the platter..

IMG_9425.jpg.9af29ab2fc1ac3378b877f3d143aa1c8.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pine weasel said:

Nice deck Keith.

I must admit, I've probably been committing heresy recently by using a mat on my Brinkmann. Please don't tell Helmut!

That’s a pretty psychedelic looking mat, S.?

I’m sure Helmut would not worry about a mat on the Spyder. Those hi end deck manufactures may not agree on what material to use in their platters, but I think they would be as one when it comes to mats.?

Did you have to adjust your VTA much? Does the Brinkmann clamp still work OK?

Cheers Keith

8 hours ago, pine weasel said:

Nice deck Keith.

Looks like the mat is warped.   ?

Hi @cheekyboy

Its a Les Davis mat that i got from the Stereonet HiFi show. It’s very thin (1-2mm) soft mat, so when it doesnt have a record on it, it doesn’t sit flat( @metal beat)Once there’s a record on it and clamp is screwed down , it’s fine.

The clamp still works perfectly.

Since the mat is thin and soft, and the record is also clamped, I haven’t felt I’ve needed to adjust the VTA .

I’ve actually got some free time this long weekend to do an extended listening session and see if there are any significant benefits to the mat.

cheers

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pine weasel said:

Hi @cheekyboy

Its a Les Davis mat that i got from the Stereonet HiFi show. It’s very thin (1-2mm) soft mat, so when it doesnt have a record on it, it doesn’t sit flat( @metal beat)Once there’s a record on it and clamp is screwed down , it’s fine.

The clamp still works perfectly.

Since the mat is thin and soft, and the record is also clamped, I haven’t felt I’ve needed to adjust the VTA .

I’ve actually got some free time this long weekend to do an extended listening session and see if there are any significant benefits to the mat.

cheers

Hello,S, I think even 1 - 2mm could still require a look at the VTA setting on both arms and my concern re the clamp would be covering the thin recess were the record label sits under the clamp.

12 minutes ago, stevoz said:

Yes....I was going to comment that 'Helmut' might prefer the mat to actually be flat.?

Agreed, but I also think his preference would be for no mat at all.

• Like 1