Show us your Turntables!!!

Time for a change....

Out with the LInn Ekos SE/Kandid/Urika and in with Duc's Univector/Dynavector XV1s/Naim Superline-Supercap DR....

I've had this Univector /DV/Naim stuff running before however this time I have left the Radikal's motor in situ rather than changing to a Naim Armageddon PS......first time I have done this actually...

Gone is some exuberance and in its place a more laid back feel with an even wider sound stage...no doubt this will change over the coming days....  

Tase.

IMG_0541.thumb.jpg.627137116af4b1c5e98595b6c6c0043d.jpgIMG_0543.thumb.jpg.bbbaa1a7a073076798d7f0c417b880b8.jpgIMG_0545.thumb.jpg.30fce59b502084992653f2ddfebdf078.jpg

• Like 3

Guest gnnett

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but does loosing the arm cable from the sub-chassis eliminate the issue of the arm cable pull, rather than optimising the cable alignment to get the right amount of cable restraint to the suspension?

Cheers

Grant

Edited by gnnett

2 minutes ago, gnnett said:

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but does loosing the arm cable from the sub-chassis eliminate the issue of the arm cable pull, rather than optimising the cable alignment to get the right amount of cable restraint to the suspension?

Cheers

Grant

Yes.....you lose the 4th spring so to speak....regarding Sondeks that is....

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Frank Prowse Hi-Fi said:

Don't see many ELAC turntables on here, so here's one of our favourites setup in store:-

MIRACORD 90

_MH19527.jpg

Nice , that is a brute of a belt drive.  I like solid looking engineering, hence why I like my old idler drive

DSC_0271.jpg.24a357df86fa28252b8e4e0faa2c5077.jpg

This 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Mark Alexander Whitehead said:

Home made linear tracker. Currently being upgraded.

1DB16759-3649-49C8-B6B4-564AFC598B13.jpeg

Hi @Mark Alexander Whitehead - looks excellent - is that a carriage on quartz/glass rod?

Or half tube?

Or bearing carriage on metal bar.

(I am using a Terminator linear tracker myself.)

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

1 hour ago, Owen Y said:

Hi @Mark Alexander Whitehead - looks excellent - is that a carriage on quartz/glass rod?

Or half tube?

Or bearing carriage on metal bar.

(I am using a Terminator linear tracker myself.)

Cheers, Owen

Love the Terminator, great design. 

This one has two 6mm glass rods and some hybrid bearings the next one is using jeweled bearings and tungsten carbide wheel rims and rods. Currently working on the mold for the pre-preg carbon tone arm. 

A09F08BE-E3C2-4FB2-977A-6D2E74EA59B5.thumb.jpeg.90b74b91a64d6ce03d564e39a928b73a.jpeg

@Mark Alexander Whitehead - nice engineering, good stuff.

What's your thoughts regarding carbon fibre as a tonearm material (aside from low mass)? Expectations sonically?

(I am contemplating a carbon fibre wand right now, for the Terminator.)

Cheers, Owen

My goal is for the tonearm to carry the cartridge with as little interference and coloration as possible. I’m looking for maximum stiffness because I dont want to deal with the resonances a more springy material may make.

Because of its stiffness to weight ratio I’m very happy with carbon. My tone arm will be a one piece affair made from several layers of preimpregnated  carbon over a light weight core the whole thing will be oven cured. Due to its short length and low aspect ratio it will be super stiff hopefully letting the cartridge do it job. Much like the Cobra I’m letting the shapes and topography of the tonearm contribute to the stiffness.  

The only disadvantage is that it will not want to deal with large warps (so I won’t feed it any). 

The Wand is a good example of material and geometry used well.

The large diameter is very effective at increasing stiffness without adding much weight I have not read a bad review. 

Good conceptual thoughts.

A couple of random thoughts, if I may toss in for consideration:

- The Terminator arm wand is v short (around 75-80mm Eff Length), which aids reducing mass but (i) the high total horiz Eff Mass of the complete linear tracker slider assembly (>100gms with the Terminator) is one of the factors IMHO that contributes to its excellent LF performance. But (ii) unfortunately a short arm wand increases sensitivity to record thickness variation (VTA), which can be a PITA ;)

- The original Wand tonearm, with its large diam CF tube, & unipivot bearing, has an engaging sound but is not without slight '(but attractive') colouration IMO, partly due  to the resonance of the tube I feel. (I was probably the first 'reviewer' of the original Wand  Classic 9" back in 2012.)

Looking forward to following the evolution of your linear tracker.

Cheers, Owen

Edited by Owen Y

Very interesting, everything resonates to some degree just depends on how it’s managed. ?

The horizontal effective mass of my new tonearm is around 65g. 

My last tonearm the on pictured with ball bearings is about 50g. The grounding through the rails seems to help things. I have been using micrometers to adjust everything. My next set up will only have VTA adjustment. I’m pretty convinced that VTA is not as critical on 9-12” arms but it becomes so on our ultra short tonearms (mine 56mm).

I'm going to document my progress in the DIY section, hope you get an opportunity to continue with your excellent feedback, it very much appreciated.?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just supplied and setup the wonderful Swiss-made Thales TTT-S II turntable with Thales Easy tonearm. Wonderful turntable - build quality to die-for. Can be battery operated (for up to 10 hours).
And that arm!!!!

Thales01.jpg

Thales02.jpg

Thales03.jpg

Thales04.jpg

Thales05.jpg

Thales06.jpg

Thales07.jpg

Thales08.jpg

Thales09.jpg

Thales10.jpg

Edited by Frank Prowse Hi-Fi
  • Like 10

33 minutes ago, Frank Prowse Hi-Fi said:

Just supplied and setup the wonderful Swiss-made Thales TTT-S II turntable with Thales Easy tonearm. Wonderful turntable - build quality to die-for. Can be battery operated (for up to 10 hours).
And that arm!!!!

Very elegant.  I really like the styling.

24 minutes ago, rantan said:

@Frank Prowse Hi-Fi

May I enquire if this comes with a cart as standard and what is the all up price ?

Thanks.

Hey @rantan the turntable is $9,200 while the tonearm sells for $7,400. They can be purchased together with the arm pre-installed at the price of $15,000.
Cart isn't supplied - in this case the client supplied the Ortofon PW.