Show us your Turntables!!!

2 hours ago, NewportJazz said:

I also made the record weight from hardened Aluminium and layers of old growth Brazilian Rosewood from the Gibson guitar factory

Nice work.  are you going to oil/varnish the wood.  It would come up a treat

3 hours ago, NewportJazz said:

Here is mine.

Its based on the Sony tt-3000. The arm is a Linn Basic plus with a new old stock  Pickering xv 1500s

The plinth is 2.5 inch by 8 inch American Hickory. Its supported inside with 1.25 inch ywoon covered with several layers of Isodamp. The tt rests on a shelf with 15 layers of iso damp to isolate it from any vibrations.

The feet are shaped from Isage Orange wood which are inserted to the plinth with 6 layers of isodamp inside.

The feet rest on quilted Maple blocks with a layer of isodamp on the bottom.

I bought the tt before modifications and building of the plinth for 100$ on Craigslist.

While not a high dollar tt it is the best i can do with a very limited budjet.

The tt weighs about 100lbs.

Thanks

Newport Jazz 

15574414654035634953845367230323.jpg

15574415435323569353403300791189.jpg

15574415871004973514775298667130.jpg

i guess its all about the music instead of look yeah

11 hours ago, metal beat said:

Nice work.  are you going to oil/varnish the wood.  It would come up a treat

It has been varnished several times.

Just a bit dull right now. 

Been busy making these.

Enjoy the music 

Newport Jazz 

20190509_151114.jpg

• Like 4

On 10/05/2019 at 10:51 PM, NewportJazz said:

It has been varnished several times.

Just a bit dull right now. 

Been busy making these.

Enjoy the music 

Newport Jazz 

20190509_151114.jpg

It's so comforting to see that people are still making copies of the classic designs in audio. In this case the JBL 2397 horn. These horns coupled with the JBL 2461 compression driver were a big favorite of mine in my PA designs in the 70's and 80's. As to why the previous post was in a turntable thread, it's beyond me,but then many things are.

Edited by Number 9
'kn typo

Thanks. Im still playing with the fine details. I just re shaped the transition from the driver into the horn. Going to listen more but i think its just about right.

The shaped lip of the horn opening seems to spread the sound over a wider area.

Going to taper the ends on the side pieces today.

1 hour ago, Patricia France said:

My DIY turntable based on DENON DP 3000 with SME 300 tonearm and a DL103 Gold Limited edition.

Magnetic sustentation of the main board.

IMG_20190513_230853.thumb.jpg.c806a2d41ef865f7a52f7d9d84fe39cf.jpg

IMG_20190513_230903.jpg

IMG_20190513_230822.jpg

very interesting diy design

• Like 1

James got distracted with his other hobby firearms, and his day job flying commercial planes, and a lack of cocobolo supply.

So yes Analogue Instrument tonearms are no longer being made.  :(

Mine is a prototype Sigwan - half Apparition, half Sigwan

Edited by Citroen

1 minute ago, Citroen said:

James got distracted with his other hobby firearms, and his day job flying commercial planes, and a lack of cocobolo supply.

So yes Analogue Instrument tonearms are no longer being made.  :(

i remembered speaking to him before i decided on Reed tonearm. 

Here's my latest build. Twin Premotec Motors, Delrin platter and sub-platter, Mag-Lev suspension, Cutom built Audio Origami arm. Not going to be a commercial release, but I'm one step closer to having a nice sounding system!

9.4TT.jpg

Here's my latest build. Twin Premotec Motors, Delrin platter and sub-platter, Mag-Lev suspension, Cutom built Audio Origami arm. Not going to be a commercial release, but I'm one step closer to having a nice sounding system!

9.4TT.jpg

Edited by Number 9
Previous post lost image!
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Glenny said:

1980's Rega 2, 8 platter. With DV501 arm Ortofon Quintet Black cartridge with Valve amplification 

Love the old classics 

IMG-2184.JPG

Great to see an appreciation of the older gear. To earn and wooden skirting steal the show. What platter did you say that was - from a P8? 

5 minutes ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

Great to see an appreciation of the older gear. To earn and wooden skirting steal the show. What platter did you say that was - from a P8? 

Yes, I had a new motor and lead installed, while I was at it I up graded to P8 platter with the aluminium disc as well.  

7 hours ago, Glenny said:

Yes, I had a new motor and lead installed, while I was at it I up graded to P8 platter with the aluminium disc as well.  

Very cool. Curious, where’d you get the platter? It’s $799 at aussiehifi :eek:

23 hours ago, Number 9 said:

9.4TT.jpg

Very cool, Steve.  :thumb:

I look forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Andy

• Like 1

12 hours ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

Very cool. Curious, where’d you get the platter? It’s $799 at aussiehifi :eek:

I got it from Stereophonic in Brunswick, I didn't pay quite that much because he just happen have it lying around so to speak. I had to get the aluminium disc with it make it fit which was $100. Made a big different I might add. 

I have finally got the Acoustic Solid and Origin Live tonearm setup and playing tunes [emoji16]

A few months without vinyl has been tough, but hopefully a fading memory!

0f31f3ce221a865d5443e586581feb7a.jpg

I chose to start off with the Dynavector 10x5, it’s a really trusty little beast and seems to love a Rega geometry arm!

• Like 7