Show us your Turntables!!!

59 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Have you tried squash balls cut in half? Less noisy than springs!emoji3.png

PaulR

Cutting a squash ball in half ... lets out the 'magic smoke' - so they don't work as well as they could, Paul.

It's not the rubber in the squash ball that does the good isolation - it's the air inside!

So use whole squash balls - with a milk carton lid underneath (to keep it from rolling around).

Andy

Cutting a squash ball in half ... lets out the 'magic smoke' - so they don't work as well as they could, Paul.

It's not the rubber in the squash ball that does the good isolation - it's the air inside!

So use whole squash balls - with a milk carton lid underneath (to keep it from rolling around).

Andy

Thanks AndyR! Hmmm. Whole balls may not work between the plates of the Aura Da Capo though!

Cheers!

10 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Thanks AndyR! Hmmm. Whole balls may not work between the plates of the Aura Da Capo though!

Cheers!

I don't know the TT, Paul - but why not?  When I had a slate slab under my LP12 - with squash balls under that - the milk carton tops held the balls in place - so the slate slab didn't move around (sideways).  This should be the same between the plates of an Aura Da Capo?

Andy

23 minutes ago, t_mike said:

Any movement through the horizontal plane will cause serious belt tension issues with the Aura. 

Are you saying, Mike, that half squash balls would do a good job (because that's what I assumed Paul implied with his post, yesterday) - whereas whole squash balls won't?

Andy

27 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

I think he means because they won't roll sideways.

But if you put a milk carton top above and below a whole squash ball, Con - it won't roll sideways any more than a half squash ball will.  And it will provide better isolation.

On the OP's Rega, therefore, it will certainly isolate better (than half squash balls); on the Aura Da Capo ... I don't know, as I don't know the TT.  But if sideways movement is a problem (in terms of belt tension) - I suspect half squash balls will be just as suss.  :)

Andy

17 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

In fact, I think you only need one milk top.

I agree av - I suspect one milk carton top will do just fine.  But if someone doesn't think 1 is enough ... they can always use 2!  :)

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst my setup doesn't compare with most people here, I'm pretty happy with it.

Got this Pioneer PL-514X turntable from Classic HiFi in Newtown recently and love it. They did an excellent job restoring it, new belt and stylus on the stock Pioneer cart, and perfectly calibrated. I will likely look into swapping out the rubber mat for a leather one, and a Nagoka cart may happen in the future too. For now, I'm happy.

Matches the rest of my Pioneer gear as well, which I admit was half the reason I got this.

Behold, the Black Metal Station! 

DSC_2872.JPG

DSC_2876.JPG

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, pauly99 said:

like your lid! 
I also need one.

Give them a call.  I’m not in any way affiliated.  I think I got onto them through this site.

http://www.plasfab.com.au/

I took the table along to get direct measurements. Came out spot on.  Here’s a pick showing cutouts for cables and handholds.  Also highly recommend the base - you can see the recess.  This guides the cover into place and seals up neatly.  I went for black, but you could pick any colour and lash out a bit! I didn’t want to sit the cover on the plinth directly (this would make overall footprint smaller) as it would likely damage the plinth over time.  Makes it a bit bigger and bulkier, but that’s all good.  

Mat

558EC8BE-D310-46B0-96B5-F2DEF0ECC83C.jpeg

0187665F-B98A-4719-9C52-993EAC0E9C31.jpeg

Edited by Mat-with-one-t
  • Like 4

Guest Muon N'
On 16/11/2018 at 9:46 AM, blakey72 said:

Not mine however I do like the look of this limited edition Project. Complete with white tonearm and 2M White cart.

2Xperience-The-Beatles-White-Album-cutout-hires.png.9517418408ddbbf36d74e07fc22ed5f1.png

Looking into that 'White Cartridge' it appears to be up there with the black but is meant for mono playback? If I have the right cart.

Strapped output delivers the same output signal from both sets of pole pins. This effectively eliminates the need for mono-specific equipment, making it possible to enjoy true mono reproduction on any stereo playback system.

https://www.ortofon.com/2m-mono-se-p-597-n-1579

• 2 months later...

...should be a total mismatch......but no.

infact I'd go so far as to say how unfussy the XV1s is regarding the TT its mounted to....although early days as yet...

Go you PLX...:thumb:......all fun IMO!!

i am thinking to sell the Thorens (i bought from Germany 2 years ago) and the Garrard 401 (the turntable I bought from Melbourne in 2018 and the plinth was new which made in Austria).

Both of the them are working good .. but just bought a pre-owned Air Force 3 from Japan, really needs to downsize a bit

Edited by mitchlim

On 23/10/2018 at 5:27 PM, Guzzista said:

Well I have been an audiophile for many years and last week took what for me was a huge step! (i was not sure if it was going to be forwards or backwards), so I decided to take what for me was MY entry level TT unit.

I see many amazing turn tables on this thread, I went for something simple to start, a Rega P3 TT, Elys 2 cartridge and a Rega Fono MM phono stage amp.

So a week ago I made my purchase, set the TT up and played my first record in 30 years, Pink Martini's "hang on little tomato", wow I wont be buying CD's anymore, its final, its vinyl!

IMG_3931.thumb.JPG.ab1d167309fbe90021aef9727719286b.JPGIMG_3933.thumb.JPG.5eca26eb490d95a4e6535f4fb7d930d0.JPGIMG_3930.thumb.JPG.dbe858a49b1629f6a2c404afac6782ac.JPG

The p3 24v with elys2 is an amazing deck, they sound awesome.

• Like 1