Show us your Turntables!!!

9 minutes ago, stevoz said:

Just not expensive enough for some.....

I don't think in all the years I've been here I've read a single put down when someone hasn't spent much money on their set up, people here just aren't like that. Heaven knows why but I've lost count of the amount of posts I've read rubbishing people who have spent a lot of money or are contemplating doing so. I'm at a complete loss as to why. I find it really odd that some folks would denigrate those that choose to spend their money on what they want.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, metal beat said:

So why post narky comments if it is irrelevant to you?    Have you nothing better to do?

I will spend my 'hard earned' time off from my averagely paid job how I like thanks......but you keep speaking to 'your' people. I'm not implying people with wealth don't 'work hard'.......I also I don't expect those who quibble over whether to spend an extra $400 on a 'platter mat' for a tiny SQ improvement to understand this point of view....because, well, they just 'don't have to' or.......just don't.

PS: A word of advice.....the 85% of the world's population who share 15% of the world's wealth are getting slightly pissed off......maybe keep some perspective.

24 minutes ago, Hergest said:

I don't think in all the years I've been here I've read a single put down when someone hasn't spent much money on their set up, people here just aren't like that. Heaven knows why but I've lost count of the amount of posts I've read rubbishing people who have spent a lot of money or are contemplating doing so. I'm at a complete loss as to why. I find it really odd that some folks would denigrate those that choose to spend their money on what they want.

I do not denigrate anyone who spends within 'their' means....it is entirely up to them and honestly, good luck to them but to come on here and say "do a comparo so 'we' can decide" if it's worth spending 'an extra' $400 or so for a 'better' platter mat......seriously? That is some peoples entire wage for a week. I could repeat what my parents kept telling me as a kid whenever I complained....."There's kids starving in Africa" but maybe "There are families who can't afford to feed their kids in Australia" should do. As I said.....perspective. 

Edited by stevoz

16 minutes ago, Hergest said:

I don't think in all the years I've been here I've read a single put down when someone hasn't spent much money on their set up, people here just aren't like that. Heaven knows why but I've lost count of the amount of posts I've read rubbishing people who have spent a lot of money or are contemplating doing so.

Too true, H.  ?

16 minutes ago, Hergest said:

I'm at a complete loss as to why. I find it really odd that some folks would denigrate those that choose to spend their money on what they want.

Envy ... coupled with resentment (that they're not getting what they think they're entitled to), perhaps?

Andy

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, andyr said:

Envy ... coupled with resentment (that they're not getting what they think they're entitled to), perhaps?

Andy

Feels good doesn't it Andy......to be envied.

3 minutes ago, andyr said:

Too true, H.  ?

Andy

Hey Andy I noticed there was no envy when you came and helped me with my setup . Maybe a bit of pity ?

• Like 1

Just now, stevoz said:

I could repeat what my parents kept telling me as a kid whenever I complained....."There's kids starving in Africa"

In my day, it was "kids starving in China".  And my answer always was "Name two."  ?

Just now, stevoz said:

but maybe "There are families who can't afford to feed their kids in Australia" should do. As I said.....perspective. 

The perspective I see is that here is a guy who proudly displays his system:

CEC BD3200 TT (replinthed by myself), Vincent PHO-8 phono stage, Cartridges: Grace Level II RC, Grace Level II BR/MR (tip remount needed), Grace F9 (stylus rebuild needed), Denon DL-103, Grace F8C, Grace F8L, Garrott Brothers P66, Shure M97xE, ADC XLM Mkll /// Cambridge Audio Azur 640R 5.1 channel receiver /// CA Azur 650BD multi disc player /// Aaron ATS5 mains, Aaron ATS1 rears, Aaron CC240 centre, Aaron Sub240 sub /// Ultrasone PRO-550 headphones /// CA and Monster i/connects, Tara Labs 'Prism Klara' directional cables///

... yet doesn't comprehend that the money tied up in all that gear would feed one of the families he mentions for several years.

Andy

1 minute ago, Tony ray said:

Hey Andy I noticed there was no envy when you came and helped me with my setup . Maybe a bit of pity ?

Haha - good one, Tony!  ?

I seem to remember I was envious of your woodworking skills when I saw what you had made.  ?

And how did your house survive, the weekend of the 16th/17th June?  I thought I was going to wake up to the house flooded, the rain was so hard!  ?

Andy

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, andyr said:

Haha - good one, Tony!  ?

I seem to remember I was envious of your woodworking skills when I saw what you had made.  ?

And how did your house survive, the weekend of the 16th/17th June?  I thought I was going to wake up to the house flooded, the rain was so hard!  ?

Andy

Yeah enjoyed the rain, helped fill the tanks.

Regarding my wood work skills I would really love to refinish a wooden turntable to its absolute best. But don't know where to start, maybe just make a plinth and go from there.

Edited by Tony ray

40 minutes ago, andyr said:

The perspective I see is that here is a guy who proudly displays his system:

CEC BD3200 TT (replinthed by myself), Vincent PHO-8 phono stage, Cartridges: Grace Level II RC, Grace Level II BR/MR (tip remount needed), Grace F9 (stylus rebuild needed), Denon DL-103, Grace F8C, Grace F8L, Garrott Brothers P66, Shure M97xE, ADC XLM Mkll /// Cambridge Audio Azur 640R 5.1 channel receiver /// CA Azur 650BD multi disc player /// Aaron ATS5 mains, Aaron ATS1 rears, Aaron CC240 centre, Aaron Sub240 sub /// Ultrasone PRO-550 headphones /// CA and Monster i/connects, Tara Labs 'Prism Klara' directional cables///

... yet doesn't comprehend that the money tied up in all that gear would feed one of the families he mentions for several years.

Andy

All bought on ebay at a fraction of retail cost.....wrong again.....and why can't I be proud? Apparently you can.

....and what's this 'feed a family for several years'......that sounds like a politician thinking he knows the answer to the question "How much does a litre of milk cost?" followed by confusion.

Edited by stevoz

On 02/07/2018 at 5:20 PM, Y B said:

Puresound Tenuto Gunmetal Mat. Some kind of copper alloy.

The arm is the stock Exclusive EA10.

New bling = new gunmetal mat.

@metal beat has a copper mat on his Technics SP10 MKIII. I like the look. So I did a bit of reading. Some guys added the Tenuto Mat to their DD TT or Garrard 301 and recommended it. I tried it and found that it has done great things to the sound.

I think it looks like bronze which correct me if I am wrong but is a mix of copper and aluminium so its dense and non resonant, perfect for a platter matt or fabrication of a complete platter which I think I saw someone on this site had one on a Garrard .

16 minutes ago, stevoz said:

All bought on ebay at a fraction of retail cost.....wrong again.....and why can't I be proud? Apparently you can.

In what way am I displaying pride, Steve?

Do you know what gear I have - I suspect not (unless you follow all my posts)?  ?

Andy

16 minutes ago, McCvinyl said:

I think it looks like bronze which correct me if I am wrong but is a mix of copper and aluminium so its dense and non resonant, perfect for a platter matt or fabrication of a complete platter which I think I saw someone on this site had one on a Garrard .

Umm, McCv, if bronze is non-resonant --- why do they cast bells from it ... and make cymbals from it?

Andy

15 minutes ago, andyr said:

In what way am I displaying pride, Steve?

Do you know what gear I have - I suspect not (unless you follow all my posts)?  ?

Andy

Because you implied that my 'proudly displaying' my system was in some way hypocritical to my argument (which it's not)......why, aren't you proud of yours?:)
PS: Yes, I have an idea from previous posts that what you have is pretty damn good and I am happy for you...I really am. I don't resent anyone buying what pleases them....it was just that flippant comment earlier that upset me a bit.....maybe I got out of the wrong side of bed. I should have moved on. I'm sorry if I offended anyone?. Probably a bit late for that though.....I think I have.?

Edited by stevoz

2 hours ago, stevoz said:

Because you implied that my 'proudly displaying' my system was in some way hypocritical to my argument (which it's not)......why, aren't you proud of yours?:)

My comment on you 'proudly displaying' should probably have just said 'displaying'.  I was trying to point out that your collection of gear could be an object of resentment for those in the community who are having difficulty feeding their family.

Am I proud of my system - sure.  ? But my reason for this is that it sounds as good as it does because of my own efforts - ie. it is mainly DIY - not because I have shelled out vast amounts.  (Although I accept that 'vast' is a relative term.)

PS: Yes, I have an idea from previous posts that what you have is pretty damn good and I am happy for you...I really am. I don't resent anyone buying what pleases them....it was just that flippant comment earlier that upset me a bit.....maybe I got out of the wrong side of bed. I should have moved on. I'm sorry if I offended anyone?. Probably a bit late for that though.....I think I have.?

I doubt that anyone here is mortally offended by your comments, Steve - just that they probably think you're a bit of a d*ck.  ?

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

35 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

and it's mostly copper and tin

Yep I’m corrected tin not aluminium 

bell bronze copper and tin

bearing bronze copper tin and lead

google is my friend ?

1 hour ago, stevoz said:

Didnt offend me mate.And seriously, some of the crap that................... oops.

Edited by Wimbo
For reasons that I will not publish here.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrews_melb said:

This is one of my fav threads on the whole site, apart from the last page or so.

would be nice to get back at looking at peoples turntables, from garage sale TTs to high end, Its all good

Totally agree Mr Andrews,  where is Hensa when we all need him to come back and put some calm and levity back into the conversation between all of the bickering kiddies. ... :winky:

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, TerryO said:

Totally agree Mr Andrews,  where is Hensa when we all need him to come back and put some calm and levity back into the conversation between all of the bickering kiddies. ... :winky:

Hensa is laughing his arsse off at some small minded people here and says hello.   Unfortunately I lowered myself into the abyss as well.

You are 100% correct.  Great thread whether you are spending $200 or $20,000.

It is the love of hifi and music that counts.  The pictures of all the wonderful turntables is just great..

Cheers. 

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 9