Home Automation Gurus?

Marc

• Administrator

Haha - tell us more about it. Which one have you got, does it work effectively? I've been considering one of these myself for the same reason.

Is is a video sender as well ?

• 3 months later...

guys, have a look at amx controller and crestron, we use all of those to controll all of the lightning, sound system, and av.

it runs on ethernet, so imagine if you have a wireless dumb terminal, and you can control all of your house equipment anywhere your house.

i might be able to help out on some little things, but not considering myself as an expert on this things

cheers

Sorry man I never realised you replied to what I said.

The IR unit we use is a 'Zantech' (sp?), its a very compact unit, the main unit is about the size of a matchbox, not as tall though, and powered from a power adapter which I think is sold seperately.

The receiving unit is connected using cat5, although it only needs two pairs, I just biwired the pairs to get 4 conductors. The sending IR led itself is very compact with tiny wires leading to it.

Does the job nicely, although there is no audio/video sending capability. From what I remember they are quite cheap, if your thinking of buying one I can let you know where I got ours.

• 4 weeks later...

I used to work for Chubb as a electronic security tech, which was associated with sontec.

My knowledge was mostly with alarm systems (naturally) and their associated systems such as door access control, prox/swipe/scan card readers and access control intercom.

I also know a bit about gsm diallers for alarm comms, and relay outputs for wireless key fob control of roller doors, lighting and door access. But it really depended on the alarm system. There are a few of them out there and I don't know them all!

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

• 4 weeks later...

Crestron and AMX are the premier controll and automation devices at the moment. They are designed mainly for commercial installation or extreme high end home systems. Most home systems can be fully automated with much less cost and effort by carefully selecting your a/v amp / remote controll combination. if your a/v amp ( or pre amp ) is good quality it will switch audio( in copper or optical) ,composite video, s video and RGB.

If your remote controll has macro functions ( this means it can send commands to multiple devices at once) ,much of the system automation is done here. If you go one step further to a remote that sends its commands by RF to a reciever located with your equipment , all the infrared commands are sent from a led located near the front panel of each bit of gear, and relay contacts are available to raise/lower projectors etc. Its not easy to program automation. A simple example is ,all your gear turns on with one macro command ,easy, but what if someone already turned on one piece of gear?, this time when you press the "on" button that piece of gear will turn off. The answer is dont use the "on" command , in the case of a DVD player , it will turn on from its play command so your macro program should send play then stop thus ensuring the gear is now on regardless of its previous state. That is a simple example , there is lots more but dont be put off , have a go it great fun whe you get it right.

A average remote controll automation wil have perhaps 8 macros and learn 40 ir commands. Many crestron/AMX systems have 800 and more named logic paths so one unit could controll all the a/v systems in a 300 room hotel no problem.There no devices that cannot be controlled.

tecsoundqld.com

• 7 months later...

So do we have any automation guru's in the house?

I am the first to admit I have absolutely zilch experience in this department!

[/b]

I deal in large scale residential systems with all the bells and whistles you can think of, great fun and I am more than happy to answer any questions on the subject.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 years later...

• 6 months later...

I know this is an old post, but i'm new here and i'm a Crestron Programmer.

Crestron is considered the Elite when it comes to Home Automation, you can control anything from TV's to HVAC system, CCTV you name it. So basicly from your iPhone, iPad or Android device you can control anything in your home either locally or remotely.

Glad to help out anyone if they need any info. ;)

• Like 1

OLD, OLD this thread is so old and buried the bones are nearly powder :D

On a serious note though Crestron does look like decent stuff but very expensive. I wound up going with Global Cache stuff as it seemed to offer the best bang for buck.

Edited by Silent Screamer
  • Like 1

Guest yamaha_man

I know this is an old post, but i'm new here and i'm a Crestron Programmer.

Crestron is considered the Elite when it comes to Home Automation, you can control anything from TV's to HVAC system, CCTV you name it. So basicly from your iPhone, iPad or Android device you can control anything in your home either locally or remotely.

Glad to help out anyone if they need any info. ;)

@@SteveTHX just joined up today, proclaims to be the man!  :thumb:

:emot-bang:

OLD, OLD this thread is so old and buried the bones are nearly powder :D

On a serious note though Crestron does look like decent stuff but very expensive. I wound up going with Global Cache stuff as it seemed to offer the best bang for buck.

Crestron might seem a bit expensive but its not really that much compered to the other competitors and does offer much more. There is a lot of crestron gear up for sale on ebay so these days you can get things much cheaper.. ;)

But does the average punter really need any more whistles and bells? The Global Cache stuff is only a few hundred dollars and it can control basically anything that an average person might want to control including shutting the curtains, turning off lights etc etc.

• 8 months later...

Just to chime in. I think some people get mixed up between a connected home and an automated one. Unless the system can perform (and does perform) functions on it's own based on various inputs, it's not really automation. 

Think about what you need to achieve with automation because I see no use in spending thousands on some fancy wall switches. And if I have to pull my phone out and run an app to turn a light on or control my home cinema, I would rather have the old school method.

I am a fan of Control4 and can design and programme it. But for maximum use, value for money and range, most Z-Wave compatible systems will be better for a DIY or budget system. Fibaro is a great start for something supported in Australia.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MediatekCVSS said:

..I am a fan of Control4 and can design and programme it. ..

Control4 is not a DIY product, so much so that they lock out end users from making any changes to an installation they own. I'm a big fan of Clipsal CBUS because they support end users directly who feel inclined to have a go at it themselves. And the software for configuring a CBUS installation is free, with no initial or ongoing license fee.

1 minute ago, WhakPak said:

Control4 is not a DIY product, so much so that they lock out end users from making any changes to an installation they own. I'm a big fan of Clipsal CBUS because they support end users directly who feel inclined to have a go at it themselves. And the software for configuring a CBUS installation is free, with no initial or ongoing license fee.

That's right WhakPak, it's not a DIY product and a lot of this stuff isn't DIY for good reason. I'd personally prefer as an integrator for the companies to restrict end user programming.

Also, in recent times some very smart cookies have written software for Control4 that allows the end user to programme some decent IFTTT functions.

CBus is not Home Automation but a lighting system and not a very good one in fact(many may disagree) and that is why it's only known and used in Australia. Crestron and Control4 systems give you the ability to integrate with 3rd party systems and are a custom solution which means that you can program it to conlrol probably anything. Systems like this are not meant for the average end users that want to put their finger in everything and that is why those companies do not target those specific groups of end users. ;)

• Like 1