Sign in to follow this  
djjon

HELP NEEDED URGENT

I noticed on aus.tv that "Phil" contacted LG and they have a fix for the audio sync problem.

aus.tv

Hi all, just thought i'd let u know, i'v had a rt-42px10 for about 4 weeks and i've noticed skin solarization when watching it. It tends to show up more on white backgrounds & skins of people(mostly noticable on faces, looks kike they have very bad makeup on), i contacted lg & they sent someone out to look at the unit, even the technican said it was horrible, so we've waited for a week & they've replaced a pcb in the unit & then tell us it didn't fix it & that lg said it was normal for all plasmas to do this. I wasn't happy so i rang lg customer care, they then tell me the same thing, so i took a dvd that really showed the fault in the lg plasma into harvey norman & got them to play it on a few different brands of plasmas(panasonic, samsung & a few others) to find to my suprise that those plasmas didn't have the skin solarization problem, they still had low quailty resolution when there are fast moving scenes, but not the green specs on the background & on the faces, so i'm about to ring lg back & tell them that what theyn said was a whole bunch of bull! anyone have any suggestions??

I had the same problem with same screen. Got the same runaround from LG. Dark or foggy scenes were also really bad. Light coloured scenes not so much of a problem, notice how in the stores they run light coloured pictures only

I sent it back and got the Hitachi SD. No solarisatiion problem on faces. Much better picture overall. Still not the sensational quality they are all spruiking though.

Question for others out there. I have been offered the extended warranty 3 to 4 years extra. At $800 fairly hefty though. Anyone have any experience on the likelyhood of plasmas breaking down. Repair costs?

Phil

I guess you have to way up the fact of whether you think $150 a year for teh warranty is worth your piece of mind. I had the same thoughts myself but I know I would be extremely annoyed if a couple of months after the factory warranty wore out the plasma died

Hi there, just thought i let u know that i've spoken again to lg, & they are sending someone to the repair centre to see the fault, very interested to c what they say, as for the extended wty, it's a very good idea, but make sure u research it well, as to if it does break down who fixes it, and are all costs covered( some extended wty's only cover up to a certain amount-about half of the cost of the unit- then the customer has to pay the rest!), also find out if the unit can't be fixed do they replace it? some do & some don't, hope this helps, as u don't want a plasma that breaks down just after wty as i have seen a lot of them do

justin

Justin Scott,

Are you watching your dvd's through a progressive scan dvd player?

I have this model plasma and have noticed the "clown faces" whilst watching tv through my STB set on 576i. I have a HD STB so I do have the option of switching to different display modes and I have noticed that settings from 576p and up are heaps better and greatly reduce any solarization (I leave mine on 1080i).

My dvd player is progressive scan (576p) and I haven't noticed any solarization on any of the dvd's I have watched. I'm wondering that if your dvd player is not progressive scan (576i), that maybe this LG Plasma is not handling any display set to 576i. This would also affect all those using a SD STB, and maybe the reason such a high number of people are complaining about the PQ, in particular solarization.

I think I am fortunate that I got the HD STB thrown in with this or I might be stuck with the same problems.

I have been pretty happy with the PQ I have been able to achieve with this low end plasma, in particular dvd's which have been pretty good in my humble view. It maybe worth checking out a dvd through a progressive scan dvd player connected through component video cables, if you aren't already doing so. I hope you reach a happy result because I know how frustrating it is to purchase something so expensive and not be happy with the end result (thank god they fixed the lip sync issue).

RockCod, you may be onto something here re: progressive signals. I just happened upon a reply to a newsgroup regarding the same issues, which states that after changing his dvd player over to a progressive-capable model the "solarization" (this is the incorrect term for the problem - correct term is false contouring i believe) dissappeared. Unfortunately, I don't have a progressive PAL dvd player, but may be able to get access to a mate's progressive NTSC player. I assume that the progressive NTSC signal would also fix the problem? I'll report back once i've given it a try.

Re: LG - RT42PX10 plasma - out of sync problem

Well I've owned a LG RT42PX10 for a week now - not bloody happy Jan!!

Talk about a crapo picture (as has been said) but if you want to give it a real test try watch "Master and Commander" the false-contouring is so bad you cannot watch the movie.

I'm at my whits end with this tele - I saved up my doh to get a decent TV and my old Trinitron 60cm gives a better picture.

I've read all the above posts but I gotta ask are all plasm's really inferior (the SD type) to CRT's?

If I get my $4500 back from Harvey's what is my best option for changeover?

Cheers

Craig

The upscalers common on most Plasmas will be clwn like in rendering. The upscalers built into them are not that good.

The Pioneer has superior upscaler and you do end paying for that quality.

Although I would not say DVD technology plugged into these displays to be old technology never the less it is a legacy form of non-progressive video that has to BE PROCESSED internally by the Plasmas.

Here are observations but with a different technology an LCD RPTV HD.

Now bear with me as I explain the simular results:

Play any DVD (depending mastering etc) and the colours appear false like like the actors faces have been overpainted with thick makeup.

Play STB DTV derived from component output (once again this is 576i) or DVD like MPEG same result.. clylike and even solarization and colour banding!

Now we enter with HTPC that is connected via DVI.

When set the HTPC to the native panel in the RPTV (1280 * 720) ALL internal video processing in the RPTV is DISABLED by DESIGN. The RPTV is now getting the video as rendered on the Computer. Which is locked to 1280 * 720 @ 50Hz and a 32 BIT colour rendering level

Result:

DVD ...over colourizations disappear. Faces more highly detailed. Shades of flesh tones easily noticed on faces. No flare up on read or flesh tones. Natural and highly detailed. More detail noticed on background etc and greater grey dynamics and rendering of black levels etc etc.

STANDARD DEFINITION DTV via internal DVB-T tuner card.. same result as above. In fact on good source SD broadcasting tiny differences between HD and SD most times!

Solarization ALL GONE.

Many videophiles tend tell you that internel upscalers is a better approach. In everyday believe they aren't what they are cracked out to be on cheaper displays. It then means that most SD Plasmas in native panels resolutions are ALL created equal but in internals like upscaler and downscalers are NOT.

Conclusions:

The better the internal scaler processes video input the better the results.

Personnaly I favour EXTERNAL video processing. It does a better job.

Regards

DA

Well harvey Norman are letting me swap the LG for another brand.

So I'm taking along my Master and Commander DvD and are going to run it through their complete range within my price band ($4000 - $5500).

So we'll see the outcome!

That said at $5500 I may sneak in a HD plasma like the Sony being chatted about in the other thread - is this wise?

Or should I look at replacing my existing JVC DvD for a progressive scan model and await my set top box so sticking to a SD plasma.

I'm a complete nube with all this so all comments welcome

Craig

Go for a HD plasma if you can. You can always upgrade the JVC DVD later if you want.

If absolutely forced to go SD consider the panasonic (the best out there I think), NEC & Fujitsu are all very good for SD. The Fujitsu might be tough to get for the money though.

Hi all, thought i'd let u know the out come of my findings, hooking up a progressive scan dvd player did not help, the picture is still the same, also have tried a hd box with no differance, lg have advised me that the problem is the internal processing of the image & that it is common with all plasma's but they could not explain why it does it on the rt-42px10 and not on other brands & not even on thier next model up. I had the opportunity to show the problem to one of harvey normans reps & he could not beleive the quailty of the picture. He did state that as soon as i pointed it out it really stood out alot after that, even when comparing it to a hitachi plasma side by side with the same signal, he was quite disapointed with it & he & the guys i bought the plasma with are now going to back me up & contact lg about it as lg just turned around & said it's the retailers problem, i'll let u know the results.

Just be aware Justin the glaring flaw you'll notice for all time. You will not get past it and notice the incremental improvement to the picture.

You will constantly go back to the very thing you notice.

I'm done some tests with lolly coloured HD displays and found by spending time calibration on good video material a totally different result can be acheived.

Here are some examples of variables you can get as a result various input levels:

Composite:

Colour saturation set at 45

Contrast set set at 75

Brightness set 52

Sharpness 25

Primary colour settings not available

Digital processing ON

DVI:

Contrast 80

Brighness 55

Colour not available

Sharpness not available

Red .. 50

Blue .. 52

Green .. 52

Digital Processing Disabled.

For example were you DVI, Compsoite, Component, VGA.

When you attached a DVD player was it definitely in progressive mode and definitely HIGH BAND component. Some stores don't have a clue.

When you attached a STB box was it component HIGH BAND. At what video band level was it processing . Was it 576i / 576p or 1080i.

What settings on the Plasma? Were the contrast, brightness, colour setting, sharpness setting to high or too low.

You see there are SO MANY VARIABLES and settings that affect the outcomes.

In the tests you must ensure colour is NEVER turned to high. Generally the higher quality of input, Example: DVI ... the LOWER the colour setting should be.

For example I have found component INTERLACED, NOT TRUE HIGHER BAND to be lousy from STBs on both plasmas and LCD digital technologies.

I believe there is ONLY one valid true test to find out for sure:

GET a STB WITH DVI OUTOUT such as the only in Australia ....LG HD STB and connect it up to the Plasma and KNOCK down every single setting you've played around with.

Otherwise in a comedy of events and settings that may have tested what your doing at home anyway.

Sales folk just don't know. I maintain proper matched INPUT devices can still put to rest the claims this Plasma being lemon... maybe it is..maybe the setup is all shot.

My two bobs worth.

DA

Well after testing all the models at Harvey's I've bought the NEC PX42VP4GS

It has some image quality issues but nothing compared to the other Plasma's (incl the hitachi) I looked at and is better than the HD Plasma's in image quality (within my price band) I looked at!

More detail when it's installed

Craig

Just got my free set top box from LG yesterday. Installed it via DVI.

Boy am I impressed! Like a few other people, I did have some issues with the quality of the Rt-42PX10 picture at first, but now that I've seen programs via the set top box, all the problems relating to solarisation, banding etc have pretty much disappeared. I am particularly impressed with Nine's HD loop which shows how good this plasma can be with a good input and a good broadcast.

So for those that are worried about the picture quality of this plasma, wait till you get your set top box and enjoy!

Just got my free set top box from LG yesterday. Installed it via DVI.

Boy am I impressed! Like a few other people, I did have some issues with the quality of the Rt-42PX10 picture at first, but now that I've seen programs via the set top box, all the problems relating to solarisation, banding etc have pretty much disappeared. I am particularly impressed with Nine's HD loop which shows how good this plasma can be with a good input and a good broadcast.

So for those that are worried about the picture quality of this plasma, wait till you get your set top box and enjoy!

Couldn't agree with you more on that one!

I don't understand all the problems people are talking about with the LG HD Set Top box. It works a treat and the picture quality on the RT42PX10 is excellent on both Nine and Ten HD channels, even though its not a HD panel!

Yes I still get polarisation on Austar, but hey, its connected by analogue and half the channels are recorded overseas and look terrible anyway!

Mossy

Well

I've had the NEC for a week now and I'd have to say I'm not even the slightest bit disapointed.

It's clear, bright, free of noticible false contouring and has a good refresh.

Overall it's the Plasma I should have bought in the first place!

Go NEC!

Guys,

Picked up a new DVD player last night (just a cheap one - $130 LG model from Myer). The main difference between this one and my old one is that this has component outputs and more importantly, it is PROGRESSIVE SCAN. This, together with some good quality component cables I bought from Dick Smith, I now find there is a HUGE difference in picture quality when I watch DVD's.

When I first tried my LG plasma, I must admit I was very disappointed with the picture quality. But you must realise that when I opened it, I only connected it to my normal analogue antenna as well as my non-progressive scan DVD with only an S-Video output. Now I have the free HD STB (connected via DVI) and the new progressive scan DVD player connected via component cables and the difference is like chalk and cheese. Now, the picture is perfect without any of the problems I found previously. Remember, garbage in, garbage out.

I can't help but think that those who rush to return this plasma probably had a similar experience to me when I first connected it. But instead of charging back to the store where I got it from, I sought to find a solution and now I am perfectly happy with this plasma.

I bought mine for $4080 but I read in another forum that someone got this model for around $3700 with the free HD STB (worth $700) and a 5 year warranty. This represents THE best deal I have seen for a long time so good on him whoever he is. There are obviously better plasmas around, but I think you'll need to spend at least another $1500 to $2000 to see any significant difference.

Personally, I'd rather save my money.

gib_oz, Can you confirm that the progressive solution has eliminated or at least significatly reduced colour banding/false contouring on this screen?

I've noticed that scenes from the lg stb seem to exhibit this problem less in scenes where my non-progressive dvd player would, but am still not keen on throwing away an otherwise perfectly good dvd player which despite being 4+ years old is still going strong, if it doesn't fix the problem.

FrozenPea,

I had an old Palsonic multizone DVD player which I bought for around $400 about 3 years ago. This DVD player was good, but it wasn't progressive scan and it only. had an s-video output.

The model I bought last night is the LG DV8621P which has the option to broadcast a progressive signal for both PAL and NTSC discs. More importantly, it has component outputs as well so I bought some good quality cables to go with it.

I have found that the picture quality has improved about 50% to 80% compared to my old DVD player. All the banding and the contouring that I also found have now pretty much gone. Now I'm not sure whether or not this is attributed to the progressive signal, the component outputs or the better quality cables, but I suspect it is a combination of the three.

But as the plasma is capable of receiving a progressive signal, I would definitely recommend a progressive scan DVD. The model I bought was only $130 from Myer so it's a worthwhile investment.

Hope this helps.

Cheers gib_oz!

My player is a Pioneer DV-535 that cost me $600~ - now on ebay for $50- :blink:.

As it's got component out (a useless feature I thought all those years ago when purchasing it) I can attest to the vast improvement it has over s-video! But that's why I'm still a little concerned as to whether it is the progressive signal or not that is the solution.

I'm not sure if it's possible to disable the progressive output (ie. force interlace) on your player, but if it is could you at some point try out a dvd where you may have seen the banding previously in both modes and see if there is a difference? this is a test i wish i could try out myself, but unfortunately everyone i know that has dvd players have non progressive models.

Also, given u went dvd player shopping, are all models these days multi-region? I know when i bought mine back in 2000, the multi-region capability or ability to be modded was probably the biggest factor in selecting one.

FrozenPea,

Already tried this last night.

I had a look at the movie Speed (which looked like an absolute dog's breakfast on my old DVD).

I had the Progressive Scan off (the default when I connected is interlaced) on the new DVD and the picture still looked ok compared to the Palsonic (some instances of banding/contouring but not that noticeable).

When the I turned the Progressive Scan on, there was definitely an improvement compared to the interlaced signal but I wouldn't say that the improvement was "huge". The contouring/banding however, was pretty much gone.

So I'm inclined to believe that my dramatic improvement in picture quality has a lot to do with the good quality component cables that I have along with the progressive scan option. Also, perhaps my new LG DVD is just an all round better player than my old Palsonic.

So will progressive scan improve your situation?? Not too sure. I can say that my new LG DVD is a LOT better than my old Palsonic. The LG is also a multi-zone player. As for other players, I'm not too sure as it wasn't a feature I was looking for. All my DVD's are Region 4.

My suggestion would be to buy a progressive scan DVD and see for yourself. If you buy it from a place like Myer, there is a return policy so you can always take it back if it doesn't make that big a difference.

FrozenPea,

I can vouch for the good PQ achieved from a progressive scan DVD player and reasonably decent component cables (I have the dickies $30 cables). No problems with contouring/banding solarization or anything else. For the price of DVD players these days u can't go wrong. I think that if you get the set up right you can achieve pretty good results with this plasma for its price. I am very happy with the DVD PQ I am getting and now with the HDSTB connected up, happy with Free to air through DVI using the supplied cable that came with the plasma.

Most DVD players will have the option of dezoning them these days.

I've read all the above posts but I gotta ask are all plasm's really inferior (the SD type) to CRT's?

If I get my $4500 back from Harvey's what is my best option for changeover?

Cheers

Craig

SD Plasma's have a vertical resolution of 480 lines whilst CRT tubes have a resolution of 576lines, even a 20 year old black and white TV has a higher resolution than a SD plasma!

However because of the much better inputs on a plasma (DVI/Component) compared to a 20year old TV (RF) you wont notice the difference, however on all new CRT TV's with component inputs it should give you a much better picture then a SD plasma.